PDA

View Full Version : Please Devs?

Gimpinator
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Please give us the option to disable the cosmetic pets. I find them to be more detrimental to a party than beneficial, especially when healing a large group of individuals where half of them have a Drizzt Kitty blocking my view and creating mass clutter. I understand that asking players to simply not summon their purely cosmetic pet is not a daunting task, but it really isn't asking too much to give me the ability to enable and disable at will.

Thank you for your time and I eagerly await your response.

EDIT: Added context

Alright I have gathered a few suggestions to make these cosmetics pets less of a distraction and hindrance.

Change the color of the pet's name so it doesn't contrast with the innately dark game. (Suggested by a friend)
Force companions to only render for the owner once inside a raid. (Suggested by a friend)
Allow us to turn off companion names. (Suggested by a friend)
Give us the option to change the contrast manually to our liking. (Suggested by a friend)
Disable pets inside dungeons entirely.
Dismiss pets upon taking damage once inside a dungeon. (Mr. Maj)
Add a check box in the options panel to enable and disable pets inside dungeons. (What I'd prefer)

On that note, let me add that I have nothing against the cosmetic pets outside their names. They are overly fluffy and agreeably cute.

MrkGrismer
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
They block your view? Did you somehow manage to build a gnome character?

But I don't see any reason not to have a display cosmetic companions [ ] checkbox in the UI options...

FooWonk
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
/signed

Abolish the hideous cat-dog!

danotmano1998
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
It was asked for long before these even came to live, and I'm gladly

/Signed again...

Except that cosmetic pets are just cosmetic. So giving folks the opportunity to turn them off?
I'm guessing they won't go that route...

But for pete's sake, lets at least make them NOT go into quests.
Lag in public instances and lotsa visual fluff? Meh..

Quests? Whole different story. Towns are where, IMO, pets SHOULD be displayed. I'd even go so far as to say that I wouldn't mind them in explorer areas too! But quests? no thank you. Fine, you've got your pet and it's cool. But give me the option not to experience any extra fluff in quests as I see fit.

-Zephyr-
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
It was asked for long before these even came to live, and I'm gladly

/Signed again...

Except that cosmetic pets are just cosmetic. So giving folks the opportunity to turn them off?
I'm guessing they won't go that route...

But for pete's sake, lets at least make them NOT go into quests.
Lag in public instances and lotsa visual fluff? Meh..

Quests? Whole different story. Towns are where, IMO, pets SHOULD be displayed. I'd even go so far as to say that I wouldn't mind them in explorer areas too! But quests? no thank you. Fine, you've got your pet and it's cool. But give me the option not to experience any extra fluff in quests as I see fit.

I originally thought pets would be public areas only as well. Imagine my surprise when I stepped in a quest and saw it following...
"But... but... they'll kill it !"

And then I realized that those pets were immune to death. Not even the Black Abbot was able to kill them.
I want companions to be a playable race, now.

xoowak
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I want companions to be a playable race, now.

Distract, get in the way, and contribute nothing? They're already in game, I see them in PUGs all the time. :p

Samir_Bennal
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
If nothing else, at least keep them out of quests. Social areas only.

Hoglum
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
What's cooler than fighting a devil lord general from the fiery pits of hell with a cute little puppy wagging its tail at your side?

Edit: the puppy should lift its leg on your stone when you die.

Yvonnel-1
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
away with that ugly dogs and panthers

i want a Yochlol pet !!!

DanteEnFuego
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Please give us the option to disable the cosmetic pets. I find them to be more detrimental to a party than beneficial, especially when healing a large group of individuals where half of them have a Drizzt Kitty blocking my view and creating mass clutter. I understand that asking players to simply not summon their purely cosmetic pet is not a daunting task, but it really isn't asking too much to give me the ability to enable and disable at will.

So you don't want me to buy the Gold Sparkly Dust trail too??? My future Brony dreams are shattered...

MrkGrismer
03-15-2012, 03:58 PM
edit: The puppy should lift its leg on your stone when you die.

/signed!

Lleren
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
What's cooler than fighting a devil lord general from the fiery pits of hell with a cute little puppy wagging its tail at your side?

The puppy should lift its leg on the devil lords broken corpse.

Rumbaar
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
/signed as a whole.

The added 'benefit' is that can currently block offensive spells too ...

Yvonnel-1
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
The puppy should lift its leg on the devil lords broken corpse.

absolutely signed!

id love my spider to grab my stone, running off with it makeig "mee mee mee mee mee" carrying me ever deeper into the dungeon while the rest of the party cant rezz because "out of range" :D

MEE MEE MEE MEE MEE MEE

Tajuh
03-16-2012, 02:50 AM
For all those, there is a way to get rid of the pets. Unfortunately, there's no way to do so globally: You'll have to ask your party members to desummon in-quest (and they can, any that say otherwise are flat out lying) by heading to the pet tab in their inventory and clicking the 'desummon' button below the active pet.

It usually doesn't pop up as a problem for me, and I'd have no problem desummoning if you asked me to.

shadowhop
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM

/signed

Give it as an option on the players side to see or not see pets.

Blackmoors
03-16-2012, 04:57 AM
It does not make any sense at all in a RPG to have the pets (aka as pests) inside a quest since they dont do anything or interact in any way with the questing aspect of the game. Apart from being a distraction they break the game and environment immersion of the role playing part of the game. Having in mind that theres talk about the DM narration and global objectives being introduced throughout the game (which I think its great) so that theres a bigger immersion in the storyline and RPG aspect of the game, the introduction of this pests in quests does precisely the opposite. I think a simple "no cosmetic pets inside quests" should be enough but if theres no such thing at least gives us a UI option to turn them off from my sight - SO SIGNED!

DarkThoughts
03-16-2012, 05:30 AM

/signed

I would very much like an option to turn off cosmetic pets instead of asking other players not to summon them. I know that some players like the cosmetic pets for whatever reason and I don't want to limit their DDO experience for my benefit. By the same token, I don't want my experience to be filled with fluff and an option to choose whether pets are visible or not seems like the best solution for all involved.

Also keep the pets out of dungeons completely, especially if they contribute to lag.

donblas
03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
/not signed because I kinda like them in non-combat areas, BUT I'd prefer if they could not exist in combat areas, ie they were auto-dismissed on entry to a wilderness or dungeon and could not be summoned in those places..

Whitehairguy
03-16-2012, 06:39 AM
/signed

Liked this idea before they came out, still do. Pets are ridiculous. But I'd also want it for the arty dogs too. Outside of a quest or explorer area, they're purely cosmetic (to me, calm down fan boys).

Antheal
03-16-2012, 07:05 AM
How about fixing it so only the pet owner can see their pet?

After all, what do they really do?

DragonMageT
03-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Animal hater! I knew you were all along.
I can only imagine what you do to puppies and kittens in real life.

/signed to protect the pets from Gimp's evil and demented thoughts / plans.

MrkGrismer
03-16-2012, 07:43 AM

They won't do that, as the real purpose of the pets is to get other players to ask "where do I get one of those?" to which the answer has to be "You have to pre-order the expansion."

Free advertising. Make the player-base and peer-pressure sell the expansion. It is very clever IMO.

But letting people 'opt-out' by having a checkbox to not see(or set a transparancy level even) wouldn't hurt that any. By default pets would still be on, and only those that it annoys would turn it off.

Seems like a win-win to me.

I haven't seen any benefit or draw-back to the pets (beyond answering questions), and i have been running with the pet on all the time, since they came out. But I have only been soloing w/hireling.

Produktion_Malphunktion
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I have suggested to Dev to have pets despawn on player hit.
I can see the annoyance for anyone that has to target players like Clerics and such.

Aliss7
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I can see the annoyance for anyone that has to target players like Clerics and such.

Well then, can you do something about hezrous and rock elemental summons, which are many times more annoying than these cosmetic pets?

Kabaon
03-16-2012, 08:41 AM

How would it annoy them? Last time I checked you can't actually select the pets, aside from them being there visual. There really isn't a way to interact with them, so they shouldn't be in the way.

Also, it's easier to just select someone using the health bars instead of trying to find them on screen for healers, and people who are buffing.

Oh and I hear this all the time, I REALLY doubt that these cosmetic pets lag out the system. They don't DO anything but walk and follow you around, it's not like they are casting spells constantly as a level 20 sorc.

Feralthyrtiaq
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
YEAH THAT ^^^^^

So, I ONLY summon the little buggers in public zones.

Y the OLY FRACK do these block RANGED TARGETING and SPELLS???

I've noticed it and found a work-around, Inv Tab=>Paw Tab=> DeSUMMON

Problem solved and we can stop bothering the Devs with WAH WAH it's spoiling my immersion WAH...

The SHOT BLOCK by the COSMETIC PET is more of an issue than u nancies being miffed about just having to "Look at it"

shadowhop
03-16-2012, 09:18 AM
How would it annoy them? Last time I checked you can't actually select the pets, aside from them being there visual. There really isn't a way to interact with them, so they shouldn't be in the way.

Also, it's easier to just select someone using the health bars instead of trying to find them on screen for healers, and people who are buffing.

Oh and I hear this all the time, I REALLY doubt that these cosmetic pets lag out the system. They don't DO anything but walk and follow you around, it's not like they are casting spells constantly as a level 20 sorc.

You do know that there are people who do not like the cosmetic pets. I do not mind that turbine put them in and if they can generate money of it i am ok with that, but just give the people who don't like them an option to NOT see them.

WruntJunior
03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
You do know that there are people who do not like the cosmetic pets. I do not mind that turbine put them in and if they can generate money of it i am ok with that, but just give the people who don't like them an option to NOT see them.

...and this has absolutely nothing to do with his post.

MrkGrismer
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Tons of fun if it is a very bloody 'despawn', but it seems that it would be easier and more effective to have a "Show cosmetic pets [ ]" checkbox in the UI options.

If they despawn on player hit, would they still 'use up the hit'? That would be bad with spells. Would the player still be able to simply summon it again? That would be kind of a griefing opportunity then....

Gimpinator
03-16-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks Maj, please keep us updated.

protokon
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I kind of like having my kitty follow me around as I am soloing content...or even in a small group.

Get me into a 12-man instance or raid..jeese. I don't believe they cause any real lag issues but I do think there are slight glitches here and there in regards to throwing mass buffs / offensive spells from time to time. Haven't tested thoroughly enough to see if they are pet-related or not. (for instance, throwing a mass deathward and having a few party members not get it)

Having the option to hide pets on your side would be great, but probably a pipe dream. Perhaps have them not summon-able in raid instances? I would be fine with that.

Levonestral
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
/signed

I'm don't mind Turbine adding new shiny visual stuff for those that like/want it.....but please for the love of sanity, please let us turn it all off if we don't want to see it on our own personal screen !

Silverleafeon
03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Learn to heal using function keys...problem solved.

(Yes I play a cleric all the time.)

Gimpinator
03-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks but clearly this thread isn't for you. Move along now.

protokon
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Let me get this straight...you want someone to change their playstyle to adapt to a poorly implemented cosmetic feature?

Sorry, I don't agree with that. a simple toggle to hide them from your display, such as player names, would easily fix this.

The game should be user-friendly for people who use the keyboard or play with the mouse...nobody should be forced to play one way or the other.

I play an awful lot of divines myself and generally use both keyboard functions AND my mouse, depending on my mood.

Silverleafeon
03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I took my halfling cleric into the shroud last night and tried using the mouse to target characters by clicking upon them.

I had no problem doing so, if someone else has problems this is bug not a companion problem.

This character has healed 38 shrouds (Fawnglow in Khyber) along with many other raids and epic quests.

She had a companion follow her around and it presented no problems during the raid train that I ran.
(A non TRed halfling seen in close mode has the lowest current point of view in the game, and still the companions are definately very low in her viewing screen.)

Mosch
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Let me get this straight...you want someone to change their playstyle to adapt to a poorly implemented cosmetic feature?

Sorry, I don't agree with that. a simple toggle to hide them from your display, such as player names, would easily fix this.

The game should be user-friendly for people who use the keyboard or play with the mouse...nobody should be forced to play one way or the other.

I play an awful lot of divines myself and generally use both keyboard functions AND my mouse, depending on my mood.

Let me get this straight... you want the game changed because some people can't be bothered to use a quick and painless way to select party members?

No, seriously, I don't understand the problem at all. I have never seen pets block anything. If they did, I would agree, and if they would be selectable, I would want them not to be, but how are the pets such a big problem? They certainly are not worse than every melee with greensteel summoning an earth elemental each quest.

Obviously, though, some people have this problem and I think it may be a good move to implement a feature to not display any cosmetic items at all - then there would be no pets, unnatural hair colors and hair styles or armor kits to interfere with the selection of party members. Of course this may be a bad move for the sale of cosmetic items, but then again I don't have the metrics.

Reincarnator
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
What is the point of having a pet if no one can see it?
And I never had any problems happen to me...
/not signed

baletraeger
03-18-2012, 11:39 AM
/signed

Sorry, I never understood tamagachi either...

Uska
03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
You shouldnt have the ability to block others from summoning them. Ask them to dismiss them if they dont you can always form a new group and say no pets. and its proably not possible for them to make it just so you cant see others pets you would need to be in a different instance from them and their pet.

Orratti
03-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm not understanding? Why would you want to force a player to see your pet if they didn't want to? Why if it is causing them any actual in quest difficulty would you want to force them to suffer through that? The only thing that should matter to you is that you yourself can continue to see your pet.

/signed

Uska
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not understanding? Why would you want to force a player to see your pet if they didn't want to? Why if it is causing them any actual in quest difficulty would you want to force them to suffer through that? The only thing that should matter to you is that you yourself can continue to see your pet.

/signed

I dont see how they can make is possible for you not to see their pet and you shouildnt have the ability to limit other people's fun. If you dont want pets around just dont group with people who wont limit themselves to only using them in public areas. Me I dont care either way.

Uska
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM

I dont think that would be easy or maybe not even possible

Orratti
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
/not signed

Well if you can see it there is still a point to having it. If everyone who isn't being disrupted by it can see it there is still a point to having it. An option to turn it off on a individual basis doesn't mean that it turns it off for everyone just that one person. Unless there is no point to having one unless everyone is forced to see it whether they want to or not I don't see a problem with having a ui turn off option.

Orratti
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I dont see how they can make is possible for you not to see their pet and you shouildnt have the ability to limit other people's fun. If you dont want pets around just dont group with people who wont limit themselves to only using them in public areas. Me I dont care either way.

I agree you shouldn't have the ability to limit other people's fun. You can turn off helms, outfits, damage #s, enemy health bars etc etc. It's a visual added effect I don't see any reason why it couldn't be set up to be capable of being ignored. It might be the reverse of what is usually done which is picking out what you have that you don't want others to see instead you are picking out what others have that you don't want to see. I still don't see it as difficult to do however.

DanteEnFuego
03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
/not signed

I have a pink rabbit named Harvey. Can't you see him. He's right there... (okay, so that is older than I am, I know...)

Uska
03-18-2012, 01:11 PM
I agree you shouldn't have the ability to limit other people's fun. You can turn off helms, outfits, damage #s, enemy health bars etc etc. It's a visual added effect I don't see any reason why it couldn't be set up to be capable of being ignored. It might be the reverse of what is usually done which is picking out what you have that you don't want others to see instead you are picking out what others have that you don't want to see. I still don't see it as difficult to do however.

If the pet works like part of you outfit you would be right but I dont think they work that way but we will see. Not a big fan of them just defending the rights of those that are I woiuld rather they spent the dev time they used on them on something more universially useful

Reincarnator
03-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Yeah, and next thing you ask for is to be able to switch off viewing other people's custom outfits. It's same thing by your logic. No thanks.

Silverleafeon
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Pet companions are client side.

I have never ever seen a foe interact with them in any way shape or form.
I have never ever seen them change any spells cast by me.

They are simple straightforward visual effect.

Start messing with options and you will probably create much more problems than you solve.

GoldyGopher
03-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Start messing with options and you will probably create much more problems than you solve.

I run with the Druid Wolf companion with my Cleric as I am leveling him up and I noticed almost by mistake that the companion does indeed mess with the Aggro of newly active spawns. Once active for more than a few seconds the mobs no longer seem interested in the companion, but those first couple of seconds makes for throwing a greater command easier.

Battlehawke
03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I think that you should be allowed to turn cosmetic pets off, but either all off or all on.

I'm a tad confused though. On my healers (currently 3 level 20's) when I'm healing I watch the health bars on the HUD displaying the group. Or I use the number sequence on the keyboard to select them. Are you trying to heal people by searching for their avatar? If so that IS your problem.

Gimpinator
03-19-2012, 11:43 AM

You shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion, in my opinion.

If you don't care either way, why are you so defensive when someone suggests an idea to disable and enable your cosmetic pet? I can't grasp my head around this.. Why does the option to disable your cosmetic pet(s) inside dungeons strike you people as unnecessary? It's already been universally accepted that pets can block and absorb sells cast by both ourselves and NPCs. They hinder sight with their huge semi-bulky names in dungeons, especially ones like Epic Lord of Blades where you may have fifteen hostile NPCs, 11 friendly NPCs and atleast a handful of these pointless cosmetic Drizzt Kitties running around and obscuring sight. Yes, I understand that you paid out the *** for this cosmetic luxury :rolleyes:, but that doesn't entitle you to hinder my gaming experience.

Additionally, if you wish to voice your concern or opinion, at least try to make your response legible.

Gimpinator
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I think that you should be allowed to turn cosmetic pets off, but either all off or all on.

I'm a tad confused though. On my healers (currently 3 level 20's) when I'm healing I watch the health bars on the HUD displaying the group. Or I use the number sequence on the keyboard to select them. Are you trying to heal people by searching for their avatar? If so that IS your problem.

A good healer uses both simultaneously. Focus old timers.. Stay on topic!

Cyr
03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
/signed

A simple option to disable cosmetic pets in the UI that simply elminated them from view when you hit it for you would be a great feature.

danotmano1998
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Sweet Dev music!!

Awesome Maj, can't wait to hear the word.

On another note, the pets cause system load. Maybe it's client side. Maybe it's player side.
Doesn't really matter. A load is a load, and anything that is unwanted should be able to be turned off. Whether it's taxing the graphics cards, or network, or Turbine's servers.

I get how people want more fluff, and that's all fine and dandy.
So long as the fluff stays in the NON-questing instances they can show all the fancy hoorah they care to. Function should come before form, IMO.

Chai
03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Many of the same people who bust into other suggestion threads with "Id rather the devs spent no time on this and spend time on things I want instead" are in here moaning about cosmetic pets like its the end of the world.

Now when someone else is in their thread saying basically the same thing "theres no reason the devs should trouble themselves with this, people should just play with other like minded people" - its a huge issue.

Turbine, powered by all the wind generated by all the backpedaling by its fans from waffling on issues.

What issues are the cosmetic pets causing other than "I dont like the way they look?"

How far does that rabbithole go? I dont like the way your character looks? Now what? Should Turbine create a mechanism that makes it so I cant see all cookie cutter khopesh mass produced toons?

MrkGrismer
03-19-2012, 12:32 PM
What issues are the cosmetic pets causing other than "I dont like the way they look?"

The only one I know of is reportedly they can function like an inanimate object and block spells and/or projectiles, at least reportedly. I have not seen such myself, but my companion is almost always behind me.

I can't see the issue the OP had, in that I don't see how they can block the view and/or ability to click on other players.

Shallowain
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Some observations from Argo, despite the hate against cosmetic pets in the forum, to me it seems nobody really has a problem with them. I permanently have mine out and a lot of people are using them. I have yet to see a single group member complain or ask about dismissing them. I would say the majority either enjoys them or just does not care at all.

Gameplay wise, they don't seem to have any influence at all, they can't be targeted and they don't seem to have any impact on game performance so they are literally a set of dead pixels on autofollow.

Zyerz
03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
So I assume you don't use the Function keys to target players? Makes things a lot easier than using the mouse pointer. Also, pets can't be targeted, there's no reason why they should block your view. *except arti pets.

Plus, cosmetic pets are tiny... Even for a halfing, they shouldn't block your view...

Gimpinator
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
There seems to be some confusion here among the masses that the pets themselves are actually obstructing view. This is not completely accurate. The effect limiting perception is actually their bulky names. If you're not understanding how this can be a burden for others, why don't you just pipe down and move along? If a developer evens submits that he could understand the frustration of healers, with these things inside a dungeon, perhaps there is more here than meets the eye?

I'm not sure.. Maybe I shouldn't bother arguing against the forum community to get a change that apparently only affects .01% of the DDO Population..

Chai
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
There seems to be some confusion here among the masses that the pets themselves are actually obstructing view. This is not completely accurate. The effect limiting perception is actually their bulky names. If you're not understanding how this can be a burden for others, why don't you just pipe down and move along? If a developer evens submits that he could understand the frustration of healers, with these things inside a dungeon, perhaps there is more here than meets the eye?

I'm not sure.. Maybe I shouldn't bother arguing against the forum community to get a change that apparently only affects .01% of the DDO Population..

Disagreement =/= lack of understanding. I can see why it would be an issue, but not this huge game breaker people have made it out to be in the past few weeks.

I also think its hilarious that there are people here who plow into other threads and talk about how they dont want dev time spent on (insert topic here) because they dont think it affects enough people to worry about, and instead that dev time should be spent elsewhere fixing issues that matter. Then we carry on about something like cosmetic pets like its ruining our playing experience.

Smells like a wafflehouse in here. :p

Shallowain
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM

I run a few divines and the "bulky names" don't have any effect. If its not on a F-key, it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine, what kind of effect they are supposed to have on running divines efficiently. I mean, you can't even target them like *at all*

jeremyt
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Disagreement =/= lack of understanding. I can see why it would be an issue, but not this huge game breaker people have made it out to be in the past few weeks.

I also think its hilarious that there are people here who plow into other threads and talk about how they dont want dev time spent on (insert topic here) because they dont think it affects enough people to worry about, and instead that dev time should be spent elsewhere fixing issues that matter. Then we carry on about something like cosmetic pets like its ruining our playing experience.

I also think its hilarious when someone posts an obvious trolling post complaining/laughing at trolling posts.

Also, signed. I would rather not see cosmetic pets. They are not neutral to me, they are on the slight side of annoying, coupled with fact that maybe even a fraction of computing power is being used to render them makes it firmly in the I dont want them included in my DDO experience zone. I did buy the preorder pack, so its not just a jealous player that cant have that doesn't want to see the haves.

Carpone
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Choices are good, like turning off the annoying falsetto GM voices.

DanteEnFuego
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

They have WaHo in WI? Sweet. The Bert's Chili smell?

Tobril
03-19-2012, 05:46 PM

I dunno, that chick with the adam’s apple and mustache in gianthold is a classy lady…

Chai
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I also think its hilarious when someone posts an obvious trolling post complaining/laughing at trolling posts.

Also, signed. I would rather not see cosmetic pets. They are not neutral to me, they are on the slight side of annoying, coupled with fact that maybe even a fraction of computing power is being used to render them makes it firmly in the I dont want them included in my DDO experience zone. I did buy the preorder pack, so its not just a jealous player that cant have that doesn't want to see the haves.

Thank you very much, for literally proving my point, on all counts.

Chai
03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
They have WaHo in WI? Sweet. The Bert's Chili smell?

Its even better for breakfast if you are still up from last night, heh.

Chai
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I dunno, that chick with the adam’s apple and mustache in gianthold is a classy lady…

And we all fell for it, lock, stock, and two smoking umm...barrels.

BitkaCK2
03-19-2012, 06:04 PM

For me the issue is the sound they make, in particular the spiders. I find their skittering as annoying as a work day is long. In quests, especially unfamiliar ones, I'll often rely on audio cues to warn me of danger. I can't imagine how irritating it would be to have a pack of spiders skittering all over the place while trying to keep my ears peeled for audio danger cues.
/signed

/signed

Liked this idea before they came out, still do. Pets are ridiculous. But I'd also want it for the arty dogs too. Outside of a quest or explorer area, they're purely cosmetic (to me, calm down fan boys).

Someone pointed out to me once that arty pets can be ship buffed which is why some people have them out in public. Personally I only summon mine when needed and dismiss it in public areas.

bitkaCK2

SisAmethyst
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I run a few divines and the "bulky names" don't have any effect. If its not on a F-key, it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine, what kind of effect they are supposed to have on running divines efficiently. I mean, you can't even target them like *at all*

I don't care much about the pets but hadn't had an issue with them. And I agree that since I use the magic F* keys its all much smoother on my casters. If the crow stand close to each other (e.g. entrance) its sometimes anyway not possible to select the party members one by one other by using the keys.

Heck you even can select the artificer pets via those. Additionally players tend to move so if I would try to select them with the mouse it would be even more tricky in times when you hvae to move yourself as well.

Sure the names may clutter the picture a little bit but I rarely have to read something while beating on a boss anyway. So who cares if it is a long crazy guild name, an artificer dog or the name of a pet that floats around.

Sure more options are usually a good thing. While we are at it, can we have one to make a Hezrou semi transparent, so that I actually see something even if they sit directly in my face? :)

Battlehawke
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't confuse old age with common sense. The OP stated that the pets were obstructing his/her ability to target and heal people. Here again is where the confusions sets in..... maybe you havn't tried it, but try to select a cosmetic pet... it's impossible...therefore I don't see how this is a problem...

Gimpinator
Community Member Join Date: Sep 2009
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A good healer uses both simultaneously. Focus old timers.. Stay on topic!

Gimpinator
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Alright I have gathered a few suggestions to make these cosmetics pets less of a distraction and hindrance. I'll update the original post also.

Change the color of the pet's name so it doesn't contrast with the innately dark game. (Suggested by a friend)
Force companions to only render for the owner once inside a raid. (Suggested by a friend)
Give us the option to change the contrast manually to our liking. (Suggested by a friend)
Add a check box in the options panel to enable and disable pets inside dungeons. (What I'd prefer)

On that note, let me add that I have nothing against the cosmetic pets outside their names. They are overly fluffy and agreeably cute.

Gimpinator
03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't confuse old age with common sense. The OP stated that the pets were obstructing his/her ability to target and heal people. Here again is where the confusions sets in..... maybe you havn't tried it, but try to select a cosmetic pet... it's impossible...therefore I don't see how this is a problem...

Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also. Just wait, [ancient chinese proverb]old padawan with young spirit[/ancient chinese proverb].

This is just the start.. Wait until they are in the DDO Store! Soon we'll have 11 or 12 in every raid! You WILL understand at this point. However, I'm sure we'll see more negative reputation until that point comes. :)

Shallowain
03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also. Just wait, [ancient chinese proverb]old padawan with young spirit[/ancient chinese proverb].

Now I am sure you are a troll.

MrkGrismer
03-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also.

No, they won't hinder you one bit. Even when I heal raids I use V to turn all names off and use the function keys.

I don't see a problem with having a checkbox in the UI to make them not display on a person's local side, but I don't have any issue with them whatsover.

DragonMageT
03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Alright I have gathered a few suggestions to make these cosmetics pets less of a distraction and hindrance. I'll update the original post also.

You w****, stick with your OP.

DDO is full of options that the PLAYERS have complete control over...cosmetic pets should be one also.

I don't want your pets on my screen with their humongo names.
I don't want your pets taking up my CPU/GPU cycles, the ddoclient is enough of hog as is.

What purpose do they server in quests/raids ? None, Public areas are fine.

If I have an option to turn off pets on my screen,
How does that affect others gaming experience ?

IT DOESN'T.