PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a beholder

CarlM
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I am a just qualified level 9 tempest trapmonkey. Having attempted Caverns of Korromar I have no idea how to deal with a beholder. I quest solo with a cleric hireling.

My first attempt involved by dying in 0 seconds flat. My hireling died just as he got to my soul stone.

For the second attempt, put on death block armour. He was hovering at a height that seemed I would not be able to reach him to melee I tried to range him but was being thrown about with telekinesis paralyzed regularly and down 5 levels before coming to a not much slower death.

Looking at the wiki death ward probably wont help much as it will anti magic it.

Can I reach it with my sword or do I need a pure good bow / arrows (or similar my current bow is silver and I just had my standard +3 arrows)?

Is spell absorption a must have item? Do I need anything else.

Was I just unlucky with my saves?

Or am I just unsuited to fighting beholders?

In a more general sense as I level up is it expected that you have to read up what is coming up in every quest to you have the right items on and the right buffs set before you encounter a monster. If so this appears to me to spoil the adventure of trying to work my way through dungeons without resorting to spoilers.

brightfang
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
You can hit it with a Sword. I have done so many times.

thwart
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
I am a just qualified level 9 tempest trapmonkey. Having attempted Caverns of Korromar I have no idea how to deal with a beholder. I quest solo with a cleric hireling.

My first attempt involved by dying in 0 seconds flat. My hireling died just as he got to my soul stone.

For the second attempt, put on death block armour. He was hovering at a height that seemed I would not be able to reach him to melee I tried to range him but was being thrown about with telekinesis paralyzed regularly and down 5 levels before coming to a not much slower death.

Looking at the wiki death ward probably wont help much as it will anti magic it.

Can I reach it with my sword or do I need a pure good bow / arrows (or similar my current bow is silver and I just had my standard +3 arrows)?

In a more general sense as I level up is it expected that you have to read up what is coming up in every quest to you have the right items on and the right buffs set before you encounter a monster. If so this appears to me to spoil the adventure of trying to work my way through dungeons without resorting to spoilers.

I also solo with a hireling. My strategy for killing a beholder is to run around in circles screaming while at the same time swinging wildly with my weapon. Sometimes, I kill the beholder ... sometimes the beholder kills me. Either way, its fun to watch.

But seriously, if I am on a melee ... I try to sneak up on the beholder and hit it as quickly as possible. If you can get the jump on a beholder, they will go down pretty fast.

I always try to keep my hireling hidden away so that I can run back to it for a heal.

Finally, deathward is also your friend. It may save you from some level drains before the beholder is able to snuff it out.

Cauthey
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Beholder soloing is a delicate affair.

Typically, you want to make sure that you are wearing a Death Block item. Spell absorption is great if you've got it (Mantle, etc.), but not completely necessary.

Hit points, like in just about every other situation too, are king. A high Fortitude save will prevent you from getting chumped in one shot from Disintegrate. High, quick DPS really is the best solution. The faster you kill him, the less chances he has of killing you.

They float above the ground. However, they can typically be meleed. Their hit box extends all the way to the ground, and you should see the "targetting circle" on the floor beneath where they hover. Aim there. While jumping does not help, sometimes it'll make you feel a little bit better about the ensuing combat. And screaming. Screaming is sometimes also an aid.

Buffs and spells are pointless. Unless they are bard songs, or spell like abilities (SLAs). OR, if you can get the thing to turn around and face the other direction. Your hireling can't heal you, either, if the beholder is looking at him/her.

bowiehero
03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
If you can afford some aberration slaying arrows, those will do the trick. Not sure if the one in Korromar is insta-death immune.

Otherwise you need to shoot and dodge so you don't get hit by his eyebeams. Pop out of cover, shoot, go right back in. Don't trade fire with him. If you do it fast enough, he shouldn't be able to hit you. Deathblock item will be handy, but don't rely on any casted buffs.

If you want to melee, get in range as fast as possible and stick to his back. You have spring attack, so hitting him while moving shouldn't be a problem. The back eyes have the least harmful of his spells, and deathblock and a fire resist item will block the damage it can do. Just keep circle strafing around him if he turns to face you.

Havok.cry
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Hide just around corner outside door. Step into veiw, fire arrow step back into cover. Do it really quick all as one action and repeat till beholder is dead. You can take that beholder out this way easily.

Generally spell absorption items will save you alot of trouble with beholders in general. There is a few lowbie trinkets with some no recharge spell absorption. In threanal there is mantle of the world shaper, from the necropolis you can get a trinket upgraded to have deathblock and charges of neg energy absorption. Hard to get till your higher level is the ioun stone with spell apsorption.

If you have umd or a clickie or your ranger summons you can use them to draw aggro and try to take it out before it gets to you.

If you can find the wans for it and use them wands of fire wall or icestorm might help you out too. Just cast it and hide behind corner till it runs out, then repeat.

ulticleo
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
That beholder can be tough, as it is a red named one. get aberation bane weapons, put on the deathblock, and rush it while praying. (yelling DIIIIIIIIEEEEE might help too). you should be able to hit in melee with no problems.

for run of the mill beholders, I like paralyzing bows. you can have one party member sniping them with the paralyzing bow while the rest rush it.

Other options:
wounding - beholders have low con usually, so can become helpless quick
weakening - same with str

as you level up, there are two items to keep an eye out for:
silver flame necklace from necropolis - can be upgraded to have 10 charges of absorb negative energy. they'll block finger of death and the level drains
beholder optic nerves from invaders! - 8 charges of absorb beholder spells. invaders can be challenging, and I won't give spoilers.

As for questing - yes. quests become more and more challenging. however, remember that as one point or another, each and every quest has been run with no spoilers for the very first time. if you relish the challenge, go for it. you might fail a time or two (or 10 or 20) but you should learn every time you do. If you can't bear the thought of running a quest just to die at the end boss due to lack of preparation, then go ahead and wiki the quest to learn what's coming. or just run with a group, and benefit from other people's experience.

Feralthyrtiaq
03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
For regular non-boss beholders

A Silver Flame Pendant (in 3 minimum level varieties 5th, 9th, 11th) will absorb negative leveling from the beholders.
So will a Scarab of Protection.

An Unsupressed Pale Lavender Ioun Stone will prevent the beholders anti-magic ray from dispelling your buffs (like Deathward) UNLESS you have on a Mantle of World Shaper with it. The mantle charges get used up then the PLIS stops working.

A Scarab of Spell Absorbtion *should* work similar to PLIS but havn't tested it personally.

There are Anti-Beholder Crystals that Absorb Beholder Eye ray attacks but are pretty rare chest drops.

The is a pair of Goggles called Beholder Field Optics iirc that are pretty nice.

With your Object Draw Distance set on MAX you should see and be able to target Beholders from a Distance before they see you.

A Paralyzing Bow with Manyshot can work wonders. There is also a Longbow of Elements Earth that is available from the House C challenge vendors that has a chance of encasing foes in Stone. The Frozen Tunic from the House C challenges has a chance to encase a Foe in an Icy prison when you hit it with a ranged or melee attack and can be really helpful as well.

BUT Red Named Beholders like the Boss in Caverns of Korromar and the Red Named Beholder Boss in VoN3 are immune to paralysis, flesh to stone, freezing ice, dancing, hold monster, charm etc etc.

Beholders are a very tough deadly foe for newer players but with some time/experience/gearing can be handled.

Impaqt
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Deathblock and Manyshot.

Holy Bow (with a secondary damage. Burst is even better) Gather some Elemental arrows as well... The more burst damage you can do the better.

Most "Floating" mobs have hit boxes the same height as regular walking mobs. You do not need to do anything special to hit them. Flying mobs.. Different story...

Enoach
03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
You are correct Deathward becomes ineffective since the Anti-magic would just strip it away.

You can hit a beholder using melee weapons, they are not as high up as they seem.

Couple items that can help

1. Deathblock - Keeps the instant kills from ending you - does not help negative energy or heavy hitting spells
2. Silver Flame Pendent from Necro 1 & 2 Series - has deathblock and 1 or 5 charge of Negative Energy Absorption - it will block at least one to five rounds of Energy Drain
3. Mantle of the Worldshaper (End reward from Ruins of Threnal) - This will absorb 5 spells not only negative energy but all of the other ones such as disintegrate
4. Strength/Con Sapping item - Interesting note beholders have very low strength and very low con. Even Red Named bosses can have up to 10 points stripped from them. I believe this is enough to even disable this named Beholder for a short time.
5. Scarab of spell absorption - its a single time use can sometimes be found in chests as end reward and sometimes can be found cheap on AH

For the TR (or those lucky enough to have someone help them in Dreaming Dark) the Pale Lavendar Ioun Stone can also serve as an Anti Beholder item.

Last resort and if your willing to use TP, I believe there are some items in the DDO store that can help prevent Beholder death. (I'm not advocating it but just including it for completeness for level 9 options).

Always try to stay behind/under a beholder.

learst
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
If you're the patient and tactical kind, perhaps this post will be useful for you:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=151041&highlight=beholder

JollySwagMan
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
For a solo Ranger, I would recommend using a bow and some cover.

(Beholders are Aberrations if looking to use Bane arrows)

Beholders have very low Str, and when they are reduced to 0 str they are incapable of using any of their nasty stuff, just a weak bite attack. However the beholder in Caverns of Korromar is red-named, so may be resistant to being reduced to 0 Str by Str damage alone. As such I'd recommend focusing on damage rather than incapacitating him.

He can still be made helpless using Str penalty effects (Strength Sapping weapons, ray of enfeeblement/exhaustion clickies) on top of Str damaging stuff (Weakening, Enfeebling) though.

Hireling-wise, a WF melee can be useful as cannon fodder, as it will have high fortitude saves and immunity to neg levels.

More advanced tips on handling Beholders in this thread:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=151041

Adrian99
03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
First the obvious: wear a deathblock item. If you can stat damage them, go for strength damage.

Next most important is to understand the anatomy of a Beholder. It has 4 sides-- front, back, left, and right. The front side can hit you with Disintegrate, Enervation, Telekenesis, and Anti-Magic. Not a good combo to fight against, so avoid the front. The back side has Finger of Death and Bestow Curse, and you should avoid those as well. The left side has Flesh to Stone, which is also a bummer. The right side has Hold Monster and Inflict Serious Wounds, which are worthless. So to fight a Beholder, fight on the right side of it.

This is easier said than done and requires good moving skills, as Beholders tend to move and spin, but it can be done consistently.

FrozenNova
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Regular beholders shouldn't be a threat - they're a giant eye, and eyes are very fragile. They should go down before they do much more than dispell you.

Also, despite their strange multisided spellcasting, like all casters they suffer from the same "facing the wrong direction" that plagues mundane wizards. If you circle it as you fight, there's a considerable chance that its spells will fail to cast. This doesn't seem to apply to telekinesis, however.

I'll be sad if they ever fix this, it's a great trick as a melee.

jwdaniels
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I find the easiest way to kill a beholder is to run away screaming like a little girl while the rest of the party takes it out - I have yet to ever die this way.

Snarglefrump
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Deathblock is a must. The silver flame talisman is very nice if you have one, as it will protect you from level drain ten times.

Stand in the corner of the door outside of the beholder's room. Shoot the trash in the room to get their attention and melee them when they come to you. Again, stand in the corner outside the beholder's room, so the beholder can't get you. Similarly, plant your hireling someplace the beholder can't see.

Once, you've taken care of the trash, drink a haste pot, activate any useful boosts and manyshot, then fire with an appropriate bow. I prefer a Banishing Longbow of Pure Good with Holy Arrows (that's a total of 7d6 extra damage, plus an extra 100 damage on a natural 20). The same combo will continue to be useful through endgame, so it's a worthwhile investment. If you can find some Abberation Bane/Slaying arrows, even better. When manyshot runs out or if you've taken too much damage, duck back into your corner.

Cross your fingers and repeat until the beholder is dead.

JOTMON
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Doublecheck to ensure you are wearing Deathblock, necro necklace, or beholder absorption item if you are fortunate enough to track one down.

If there is more than one beolder try to draw one away at a time (pull 1 at a time away from their default location) if there is only 1 then select an approach method usally consisting of..Sneak until discovered, mad running dash, or if equipped.. range.
dont stay still.. Circling while swinging madly or strafing to avoid the disintigrate.. it hurts..

Lockdown hirling away from the battle, they die too quickly or aggro more than you can handle.

Embrace the paralyzer. Once the beholder is paralyzed it is much easier to dispatch.

Systern
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Cheat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vm1tXo2KVNg#t=932s)

The same applies to bows as well as repeaters. The tip of your weapon extends outside your hitbox. You have about a 60 degree arc (30 degrees from center line) where your arrows will track to a hard-targetted critter. Hide behind something, and watch your Die rolls to make sure you're not just firing into the wall across from you and you need to turn towards the critter some more...

Snarglefrump
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Red-named monsters (such as the beholder at the end of Caverns of Korromar that the original poster is fighting) cannot be paralyzed or incapacitated in any way. It's a decent strategy for other beholders, though. I still prefer a banishing weapon: on a natural 20 it will instakill regular beholders or deal an extra 100 damage to red-named beholders.

yawumpus
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Bow of weakening + manyshot.

Note that stat damage has been nerfed, but I think it should put the beholder out of action (beholder with no eye attack ~= dead beholder). No comment on ease of obtaining a weakening bow.

If you get a paralyzing bow, I'd keep that until enemies reliably save. I'd keep looking for a weakening bow, just take your time and try to get one relatively cheap.

My ranger still has aberrations as a favored enemy (make sure you take evil outsiders first). My reasoning was between beholders, elementals and constructs - beholders wiped more parties than any other enemy. This was before house C and my weakening bow, so I should respec that. Something to think about.

krackythehoodedone
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Yes Deathblock via Silver Flame Pendant is good protection. Their are a couple of other items that protect against Beholder rays. One drops in Invaders and the other in Vampire Room chest i think in tor flag

However easiest way to take down a Beholder is a Weakening Enfeebling Bow + Manyshot. It only has 10 Str. It will be incapacitated b4 it even realises you are their.

pr0phet00
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
If you have manyshot, a bow or arrows of aberration bane work nicely. I ran my arti through there at level on elite, and a repeater with Greater Aberration Bane made short work of him.

Failing that, running around it in circles screaming "Kill it kill it!" usually works.

As an aside..you don't have to kill the skellies at the end of that quest. Have your cleric engage them, loot the chest and finish out.

Stermlin
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/WiredAces/Go_045152_351038.jpg

brzytki
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Apart from
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/WiredAces/Go_045152_351038.jpg

i haven't seen the most appropriate answer yet.

Of course to kill a beholder you have to cut its head off.

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I have heard of the use of manyshot, too.

In Korromar, I usually keep at the entrance of that ... arena, and try not to get close to the ... thing. I don't like how it looks at me.

From there, I try to shoot it with arrows (I think you can craft weapons with an "aberration bane", too, and holy arrows as well), meanwhile squeezing so must to one of the walls that the "thing" (hopefully) won't see me.

decease
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
my way of dealing with beholder is to kill yourself before beholder kill you.. i mean if you turn yourself into a zombie or vampire, then you don't need to worry much about beholder.. oh..true, am a palemaster..

Caliban
03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
my way of dealing with beholder is to kill yourself before beholder kill you.. i mean if you turn yourself into a zombie or vampire, then you don't need to worry much about beholder.. oh..true, am a palemaster..

Yeah, this was my tactic on my PM wizard. Go undead and charge that puppy. Freaks the melees out when the wizard beats the beholder to death with a melee weapon and/or SLA's. :)

Also helps to have a high Con and a Superior Stability item on to ensure you make all those pesky saving throws.

FuzzyDuck81
03-13-2012, 03:14 AM
I often just run up and hit them... but thats a tactic that only really works safely on warforged melees - find a WF hireling maybe (i think theres a FvS one but cant remember what level he is.. he likes to charge into melee as well as heal though) & just tell them "CHARGE!" while you pewpew from a safe distance using manyshot.. As others have said, use some kind of elemental or aberration bane arrows too to maximise your dps so he drops ASAP.

thouston
03-13-2012, 06:49 AM
my first toon (pure rogue), trying to run with only a hireling, died in there several times.
but then i discovered (as someone already mentioned) WoE weapons.

weakening of enfeebling

also on a more recent toon
a crafted wounding of puncturing bow + manyshot

ReaperAlexEU
03-13-2012, 08:00 AM
First the obvious: wear a deathblock item. If you can stat damage them, go for strength damage.

Next most important is to understand the anatomy of a Beholder. It has 4 sides-- front, back, left, and right. The front side can hit you with Disintegrate, Enervation, Telekenesis, and Anti-Magic. Not a good combo to fight against, so avoid the front. The back side has Finger of Death and Bestow Curse, and you should avoid those as well. The left side has Flesh to Stone, which is also a bummer. The right side has Hold Monster and Inflict Serious Wounds, which are worthless. So to fight a Beholder, fight on the right side of it.

This is easier said than done and requires good moving skills, as Beholders tend to move and spin, but it can be done consistently.

hang on, why would you choose to risk being held so the beholder can turn and hit your with a disintegrate when you can choose to face bestow curse (a trivial debuff compared to the others) with a deathblock item on to negate the finger of death?

its great information but i can't help but disagree with your conclusion.

ReaperAlexEU
03-13-2012, 08:08 AM
as for moving forwards vs normal beholders i prefer a weakening bow on my rangers. at 16 base attack bonus (lvl16 for a pure ranger) you fire 4 arrows with each volley, thats -4 STR each volley and some beholders only have 8 STR. this means you can disable a beholder before its even got one spell off if you get the drop on it.

so weakening is a great way to deal with regular beholders, 2-3 volleys at higher levels and most are disabled. takes a while for that to mature but when you get to that stage you'll be itching to fight beholders to try your trick out.

on characters without manyshot its a case of pile on the melee DPS, though my mechanic does use a weakening repeater as the shots go in nice and fast, and with crippling strike sneak attacks do even more STR dmg.

soloing beholders will be hard work though, so best of luck to you!

Gremmlynn
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Stunning seems to work well on yellow and orange named beholders.

One other thing, boosts and the like (class damage boost or haste boost for example) are not effected by anti-magic, so use as many as you can (I like the combination of fighter haste boost + kensi power surge- While screaming DIE!!! and hoping it does so before I lose to many levels to score hits on it if stun doesn't work).

Beholders seem pretty tough, right up until you meet your first Doomsphere (spectral undead beholder) and your perception of "tough" gets an upgrade.

Daggertooth
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
OP you've got most of the information you need. Think of abilities that cant be dispelled.... stunning, many shot, a fighter haste boost etc. An item that absorbs spells like a beholder optic nerve or a spell absorption item makes the encounter much easier but you still have to somehow take him down fast or all the charges can get used up and then you'll end up toast.

I usually roll into beholder enounters with two sets of optic nerves ready to go... and I keep a close eye on the one Im wearing so I can switch to the other when needed.

So yeah a beholer optic nerve helps...:D

Magil
03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=151041

You may find this thread to be of help.

TheHolyDarkness
03-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Please people you are making this way too complicated for the poor neophyte.

Step 1) Get frenzied.

Step 2) Charge.

Step 3) Hit it with your sword, axe, its own appendages, whatever.

Step 4) Find more things to kill.

Step 5) (optional) Demand new HASTE AND RAGE from useless fragile caster in the party hur hur hur. Silly mages. Uh, anyway, ZERG! Show them frail mages that they need to get back in kitchen! >;(

Duh. -__-

(Seriously though Beholders are yet another enemy you eventually outgrow. Knowing its anatomy can help but seriously they be a squishy mob)

Oh. And if you a caster.

Step 1) Wait for meat shield to turn it around.

Step 2) Finger of Death.

Step 3) Make a face at the melee whose kill you stole.

Step 4) Find more things to make go boom.

Step 5) (optional) Cast a new haste and rage...on yourself. Make sure to miss the dumb melee charging barbarian. Just for fun. Afterall you do all the work anyway, and if he wasn't keeping up with your ZERG pace then its his fault for missing it. Let the arcane kill-stealing decimation continue! :P

Done.

Now do you get it? Sheesh. No real need to farm special gear for it just whack it and rebuff. You'll forget them by 20. Moving along.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

zex95966
03-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I think their insta kill spell only works if your under a certain hp threshold. I think if your over 250 it won't work.

I could be wrong.... in any case though, I find the best way is to attack them from behind and turn with them, they have to see you in order to hit you with the nasty things. Always worked for me.

only problem is when there are more than one of em, but it doesn't happen often.

Draeqo
02-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Hide just around corner outside door. Step into veiw, fire arrow step back into cover. Do it really quick all as one action and repeat till beholder is dead. You can take that beholder out this way easily.

Alas that doesn't work anymore, the beholder in Caverns of Korromar now exits that room and comes to you!
Had planned to use wall of fire on him (quick peak around corner, cast, and back), but he comes to you, exits the room and starts using his antimagic cone...

patang01
02-06-2013, 08:01 AM

Threnal cloak with deathblock

Silver Flame trinket part upgraded (twice) or fully (3 times) out of Necro 2-3 (best option) - comes with deathblock and soaks 5 or 10 hits
Ioun stone with deathblock -50 charges.
Store beholdergem with deathblock

Miow
02-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Beholder soloing is a delicate affair.

Typically, you want to make sure that you are wearing a Death Block item. Spell absorption is great if you've got it (Mantle, etc.), but not completely necessary.

Hit points, like in just about every other situation too, are king. A high Fortitude save will prevent you from getting chumped in one shot from Disintegrate. High, quick DPS really is the best solution. The faster you kill him, the less chances he has of killing you.

They float above the ground. However, they can typically be meleed. Their hit box extends all the way to the ground, and you should see the "targetting circle" on the floor beneath where they hover. Aim there. While jumping does not help, sometimes it'll make you feel a little bit better about the ensuing combat. And screaming. Screaming is sometimes also an aid.

Buffs and spells are pointless. Unless they are bard songs, or spell like abilities (SLAs). OR, if you can get the thing to turn around and face the other direction. Your hireling can't heal you, either, if the beholder is looking at him/her.

Ghosts of perdition elite last night 609 dmg disintegrate teehee love taking it up the wazooo :)

Sianys
02-06-2013, 09:00 AM
(Hi - first time posting to forums.)

My main toon is currently a lvl 10 elven pure Tempest ranger; I had her do the quest around lvl 8 or 9 on Casual, so keep that in mind. But basically, I solo'd it without a hireling and did fine up until the Beholder, which insta-killed the first time. So when I got her back to that point, I buffed her as best I could (I think I barkskinned, cat's grace, etc., which probably got stripped along the way) and then did basically what one of the other posters said: stayed outside of that room and slightly around the corner, with just enough LOS to shoot it. It'll move and try to hit you with spells/effects; move just out of LOS, heal yourself, then resume shooting. Rinse and repeat as necessary until you bring it down. I think I had to move and heal two or three times, if that helps.

I highly recommend that tactic plus Manyshot, especially if you can use elemental damaging or Abberant bane effects (or both). If you plan on doing it on Hard or Elite, definitely get Deathblock/Death Ward and have a cleric hireling posted nearby.

fool101
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Deathblock is a must. The silver flame talisman is very nice if you have one, as it will protect you from level drain ten times.

Stand in the corner of the door outside of the beholder's room. Shoot the trash in the room to get their attention and melee them when they come to you. Again, stand in the corner outside the beholder's room, so the beholder can't get you. Similarly, plant your hireling someplace the beholder can't see.

Once, you've taken care of the trash, drink a haste pot, activate any useful boosts and manyshot, then fire with an appropriate bow. I prefer a Banishing Longbow of Pure Good with Holy Arrows (that's a total of 7d6 extra damage, plus an extra 100 damage on a natural 20). The same combo will continue to be useful through endgame, so it's a worthwhile investment. If you can find some Abberation Bane/Slaying arrows, even better. When manyshot runs out or if you've taken too much damage, duck back into your corner.

Cross your fingers and repeat until the beholder is dead.

This is great advise for this particular situation. Beholders need line of sight to do anything to you. So if they can't see you around the corner of a doorway, they can't hurt you. Use this to your advantage in many beholder situations by hiding and popping out to shoot and hiding again. Someone mentioned that this beholder can now exit the arena, if this is truely the case you can still do the same things. Once he is drawn out of the arena, then use the doorway to break line-of-sight on the inside of the arena.

You often don't need more than a pillar to break line of sight.

fco-karatekid
02-06-2013, 09:29 AM

What world are you on?
Are you F2P, premium, or VIP? If Premium, do you own Necro I and II? If so, run those two quest chains, getting the silver flame nugget from the guy in the necropolic public area and upgrading one time each at the end of each of those. At level 9, the silver flame pendant should keep you alive long enough to take the beholder out quickly.

There are a lot of strategies for beholders; but one of the easiest to learn (though, it can be expensive if you don't have decent plat built up yet) is to get a str draining (preferably ranged) weapon, attack the beholder with it until he goes helpless, and for ~20 secs(?) he is pummel-able :D That one has low hit points, so you could very well kill him with 1 drain. Having a summon from a scroll (UMD) or an item such as the staff from Tangle RootCanal can help distract the undead.

While havok is correct, don't get right up next to the door, go back in the hallway some. The beholder can get right up next to that door and hit you "through the cracks", as it were (i.e. you THINK you're protected, but the physics engine can still mess up and let him hit you).

And as far as your last question - I dunno about _expected_; but if you want to be prepared upon walking into a quest to complete it, then yes, doing some research on ddowiki or the forums is pretty much a must-do.

I have a tendency to avoid spoilers on quests I've never done before because it helps me remember (and develop strategy for) what I experienced better than "when you get to the third hallway, go east and jump over the rock barricade". the latter just doesn't sink in as well for me till I know the terrain, etc.

It's also more fun.

Enguebert
02-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Beholders have lots way to kill you, but there are only 3 powers that are a problem

Death ray : wear a deathblock item (not deathward spell because it will be dispelled)

Anti-magic cone : only in face of you, but if you are soloing, it will try to face you. That means no buff and no useful spells

Energy Drain : This is a pain because it reduces your hp AND your saves, making you more vulnerable to other damage spell (disintegrate)

Undead and warforged are immune to those, so they make good hirelings !
A good tactic is to send a WF hireling to get the aggro, then yuo can attack the beholder from the side

As a ranger, your best way to handle beholders is to use bow+manyshot to take it down quickly
Sneak until you can target the beholder, start manyshot and fire ! Beholder don't have lot of hp so they go down quickly. Also having Precise Sot helkps because you will continue to hit the beholder even if other monsters come between you and your target

Note : bow have a longer range than beholder eye ray (or maybe it is it's detection range ?) . so if you start firing at maximum range, beholder must move a little before starting to cast ray on you
The difference is not big, so in Caverns of Korromar it will not make a big difference, but in Invaders, there are place where the beholder has to travel around a hole (yes they float but can't fly over hole) before casting his first ray and he is usually dead before he can target you !

Blue100000005
02-07-2013, 03:20 AM
For all of those noobs, here is the most important thing about beholders.

Ready?

Wait until it blinks.

Sojourner
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM

So few people seem to know this about beholders. Their rays aren't all rays on all sides.

Although I actually seem to have better luck standing on their left-hand side (their left, to the right if facing them).

Jasparion
02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Perhaps what is really needed here is a dialogue. Why do you and the Beholder feel you need to kill eachother?

Afterall, your target is the Marut, not the Beholder. Maybe come to a compromise. You share the treasure from the room before the Beholder, he lets you through.

Failing that, Manyshot and WIN. Stay at ranged, move around, have Deathblock, stay near cave entrances so you can duck in to pot or heal. And go to melee weapons when needed. But with Manyshot, you probably wont need to.

Silver Longbow is your friend, as an Archer. If you have House D rep you could buy Byeshk arrows to get around any DR (Im assuming this is the only DR the VON3 Beholder has).

easyaction
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
first time I played that quest I soloed it with a rogue and a lot of pots (i was new and wasn't familiar with hirelings). I also wasn't familiar with the quest and was pretty surprised to see a beholder at the end. I ended up killing him with throwing knives from the hall. oh how exciting quests used to be when i didn't have a clue....

phillymiket
02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
1. Traditionally, melee are blindfolded, then spun around a few times, provided with a stick and let loose to play the party game by hitting the beholder.

2. For safety's sake, while a melee is hitting the beholder during the game, all other party members must be kept away (a minimum 15' radius is recommended) from the hitter. Furthermore, the melee should have completely ceased to hit the beholder before you allow the other party members to go grab the goodies spilled on floor. This safety instruction is of utmost importance and cannot be emphasized enough.

3. Allow each party member to hit the beholder at least a couple of times.

4. Make sure that all party members have fun and have gotten some candy at the end of the game so save some goodies to balance things out.

squishwizzy
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
This is great advise for this particular situation. Beholders need line of sight to do anything to you. So if they can't see you around the corner of a doorway, they can't hurt you.

Ok, I want to dispute this a little. With the last physics engine, I'd probably agree with you. However, lately, I've found that being around the corner of a doorway does NOT guarantee protection from a Beholder. In fact, in one quest - Invaders, to be specific - I was on the other side of the doorway AND around a corner. I got targeted and disinitgrated anyways. It p*ssed me off to no end.

I mean, you can't get amy more out of the LoS than I was. Still didn't stop them. I couldn't target them, but they sure as h*ll could target me...

So, if you are recommending hanging out around a corner, make sure you say WAY around a corner. Otherwise, you're in for a nasty surprise.

squishwizzy
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I've found that with my paladin - who was probably the best suited for taking out a beholder - using a (I think) Byshk Weakening of Enfeebling weapon was the best route to go, though this was at cap where every hit he made had good damage applied to it. With my mainstay fighter, I went with a Byshk Holy of Enfeebling (I think) which applied good damage as well as the stat damage. The bonus is that they work well on Xoriat creatures in general.

With melees you're stuck with basically stat damagers and running behind and below the beholder. I've seen people use paralyzers to some effect on beholders, thugh this probably isn't going to work on orange or red-named types.

You best defense in most siturations is an anti-beholder crystal (pally has one) or an Ioun stone. Though those will be spent about halfway through content that is Beholder-heavy like Invaders and Subterrane.

My biggest problem is with my caster and that anti-magic cone. Not such a big deal with melees.

RangerOne
02-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I skipped the middle page so I don't know if this was mentioned.

A summoned earth elemental will take out the trash through the barriers so you only have to deal with the beholder. Time consuming, but fun to watch as your ele keeps crashing into the upstairs floor and clutching mobs down below.

As to the beholder itself, good advice already here. On my ranger, manyshot. On my cleric, rush, drop a blade barrier and kite like crazy until you are out of the anti-magic area. Then divine intervention and more kiting.

Good luck.