PDA

View Full Version : Easy fix for Half-Elf appearance issues

dejafu
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
They've been out for awhile now, and I still hear people grumbling about the creepy/unfinished look of half-elf faces. In a game that has such gorgeous aesthetics, it's a jarring thing to look into the faces of what is supposed to be the quintessential "beautiful people" race and think, "My god, did somebody take one too many fireballs to the face?"

That being said, I understand that this might not be a high priority for the art department - a complete redesign would be costly and by no means guaranteed to produce a result that people like. But the fact remains that this is a premium race that offers some of the best build options in the game - half-elves are quickly becoming the face of DDO, and that face just ain't pretty.

So how's this for a quick and easy fix: add a new set of options at character appearance generation called "primary heritage" or something similar. Allow people to choose between "elf," "human," and "mixed." "Elf" gives your character the same body and face options of an elf, "human" gets you the human base, and "mixed" gives you the current half-elf appearance options. Just make the ears on the human and elf base different - bigger and pointier than human, but not so big and pointy as elves.

This fix lets players choose appearance options that are already proven to be seen as attractive (think about how many people play elves just for their looks) in a way that is totally consistent with in-game logic and would require a (hopefully) minimal amount of coding.

Thoughts?

Monkey-Boy
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
/Showhelmet on :)

Thrudh
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Good idea.

I'd be happy with a paper bag option to be honest.

dejafu
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM

But those eyes... those EYES....

countfitz
03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
LOVE IT!

/signed

Cyr
03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Good idea.

I'd be happy with a paper bag option to be honest.

lol, new cosmetic skin in the DDO coming soon...

Vordax
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
lol, new cosmetic skin in the DDO coming soon...

I want the halfling cosmetic kit for my WF!

Vordax

CanuckWisdom
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
My half elf looks great!

Im serious, but yea I get why some people (males esp) dont like it. Male elves and drow look even worse IMO.

dejafu
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
My half elf looks great!

Im serious, but yea I get why some people (males esp) dont like it. Male elves and drow look even worse IMO.

Hence the reason my proposal keeps current half-elf appearance options - there's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep what you have if you like it. I actually like the appearance of my female half-elf monk quite a bit, but only after VERY careful tinkering during chargen.

That being said, as relative as aesthetic tastes are, I think the half-elf face hate is in a large enough majority to warrant some kind of major change.

xoowak
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Unless you're wearing the spider mask, in which case it makes it even worse.

bigolbear
03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
paper bag.

seriously tho that artwork needs redoing, theres something realy not right about most of them. I did manage to find a female halfelf face that looked prety but half her face is covered by her hair, and she looks realy high on something.