PDA

View Full Version : Monk: Skills need visual feedback

Trivius
03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Monk skills really could use some sort of UI element or BETTER visual feedback. Due to the way they work, it'd be nice to have something show me the last ki ability I used that's part of a combo or maybe the next possible abilities of a combo.

Perhaps each strike can throw a buff on you or maybe have a bright border popup around the skills that can be used next in a sequence? Example: Fire:Light:Fire You use your first Fire, the Light punches then light up indicating that it's next in the combo, you use that then your fire skills light up.

I feel this would help newbies and veterans alike by taking the memory game out of the equation and allowing you to focus on other thoughts. Something, anything would help, I noticed visual feedback for articifer weapon buffs were just put in so people wouldn't have to open up the equipment screen to verify, so why not this too?

Trivius
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Something like the Lotro heroic combo system would work quite well actually.

porq
03-08-2012, 11:22 PM
There already is visual feedback for strikes and combo finishers, but I will grant you that it's pretty lackluster and you basically need to look for it to notice it.

Strikes have a little colored streak keyed to the type of strike on the fist/foot it applies to, and you get a little glowy lightning storm thing around your shoulders when you have a finisher ready to fire.

I would welcome improvements to the visual cues though. They really do need some help.

Trivius
03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
There already is visual feedback for strikes and combo finishers, but I will grant you that it's pretty lackluster and you basically need to look for it to notice it.

Strikes have a little colored streak keyed to the type of strike on the fist/foot it applies to, and you get a little glowy lightning storm thing around your shoulders when you have a finisher ready to fire.

I would welcome improvements to the visual cues though. They really do need some help.

Interesting, I'll have to look closely next time I'm on because I didn't see any of that at all. Graphics are maxed out too.

If it's that subtle, it's too subtle, at times there can be too much going on to see something like that. Thanks for telling me this though.

Diyon
03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Interesting, I'll have to look closely next time I'm on because I didn't see any of that at all. Graphics are maxed out too.

If it's that subtle, it's too subtle, at times there can be too much going on to see something like that. Thanks for telling me this though.

The "finish prepped" one is fairly obvious in my opinion. At the very least I find it obvious in sound, it make that distinct lightning crackly noise constantly until you are no longer ready to do a finisher.

Trivius
03-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Quoting and replying taken out due to derping.

Trivius
03-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Well, ****, I guess I really just misunderstood this the whole time. The reason I wasn't seeing any feedback is because I didn't have the finishing moves button from the feat list on my bar, I was just putting the actual finishers on my bar instead, which of course takes more room. This button changes to whatever finisher you did the combo for as well... I guess I could have read what the button did in the first place.

How embarrassing... I will say that maybe this system can still be tweaked somehow so that you can keep track of the combo you are currently working on since the game does behind the scenes.

sebastianosmith
03-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, ****, I guess I really just misunderstood this the whole time. The reason I wasn't seeing any feedback is because I didn't have the finishing moves button from the feat list on my bar, I was just putting the actual finishers on my bar instead, which of course takes more room. This button changes to whatever finisher you did the combo for as well... I guess I could have read what the button did in the first place.

How embarrassing... I will say that maybe this system can still be tweaked somehow so that you can keep track of the combo you are currently working on since the game does behind the scenes.

No need to be embarrassed. I did the same thing for the first few weeks of running a monk. I knew something was amiss with my control setup when I hit level 6 and had more than a hotbar full of moves and finishers. Necessity made discovering a solution inevitable.

I don't find keeping track of what moves I've made to activate a finisher much of a burden, but I do agree some more informative UI elements would be a welcome addition. Simplicity being paramount, highlighting the last three ki moves with a variable velocity "racetrack snake", such as the ones which currently orbit active stances, would be a possible implementation. Scaling each snake's RPM would be a simple ratio calculation based on queue order.

Trivius
03-09-2012, 08:58 PM
No need to be embarrassed. I did the same thing for the first few weeks of running a monk. I knew something was amiss with my control setup when I hit level 6 and had more than a hotbar full of moves and finishers. Necessity made discovering a solution inevitable.

I don't find keeping track of what moves I've made to activate a finisher much of a burden, but I do agree some more informative UI elements would be a welcome addition. Simplicity being paramount, highlighting the last three ki moves with a variable velocity "racetrack snake", such as the ones which currently orbit active stances, would be a possible implementation. Scaling each snake's RPM would be a simple ratio calculation based on queue order.

That's a nice idea actually. Just something more would be nice, even though finding out my mistake has made the monk class far more enjoyable lol.