PDA

View Full Version : Proposed solution for new PrE's and ToD rings

ProdigalGuru
03-04-2012, 03:12 AM
I would really like to see ALL of the PrE's have their own ToD sets, so I read a lot of threads regarding that topic.

There have been a few good suggestions about changing the dynamics of how the rings work (i.e. more crafting), but those ideas obviously are going to require quite a bit of coding time, so they aren't likely to be implemented.

Whenever people mention simply adding more rings to the list, the #1 complaint is that it dilutes the pool, making it harder to get the ring you want. Well, this is only an issue because the drop rate of the rings is so low. Many ToD runs end with only 1 or even 0 rings in the chest at all. With 32 different rings, you have about a 3.1% chance to pull any particular one, if you get one.

If we add 9 rings to the pool, making 41 total, the chances of pulling a particular one drops to only 2.4%, a difference of roughly 1%.

So why not just increase the overall drop rate of rings by 1-2% and implement the new rings? Sure, the pool will be more diluted, but the chance of getting one will be higher, meaning you are more likely to be passed one. The increase is so small that it couldn't really be OP or game-breaking, could it?

Of course, to make all the work worthwhile, Development would have to put a heavy focus on COMPLETING ALL PrE's FIRST. And really, shouldn't this be something they do anyways? Partial PrE's just make the game seem incomplete still.

Brennie
03-04-2012, 04:16 AM
This would seem like the obvious solution. However, Devs don't seem to like to put development time into older content (As can be witness by some of the seriously outdated named items floating around from the oldest content).

If they do this, I'd really like to see the Devs re-evaluate the individual ToD items (Necklaces, belts AND rings) as well as their set bonuses. Some of the attributes, enhancements, and set bonuses are either incredibly weak, or completely irrelevant to the PrE in question. (EDIT: Some of teh enhancements, like greater False Life, and some of the set bonuses, like +2 to hit and damage, or Ravager slashing Dot are very good. I would not be at all miffed if some of the horrible Prestige/set bonuses were simpley replaced by duplicates of the good ones)

Additionally, and this is something i have asked for for a while now, I would like to see Arcane Archer set have an actual Prestige bonus for characters who have the Ranger or elf/Helf +5 returning arrows (Or possibly for those who have slayer arrows... whatever works). This PrE has been completed before Amarath even existed, and had no prestige bonus. New prestiges have been added, and have gained prestige bonuses as they reach their full 3 or 5 teirs. There is frankly no excuse for ignoring Arcane Archer for so long!

1jazzz
03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
no need, just put the new rings in another upcoming raid. that way there's no need to recode ToD drops.

this is kindof a win-win situation:
players get new quests, named times/sets, favor
turbine gets more $$$

the only down side is the players will have to buy the pack unless they're VIP

Dawnsfire
03-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Or just have it drop a barter token at whatever the current drop rate is for the items and let the player turn it into an NPC for his/her choice of rings.

1jazzz
03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Or just have it drop a barter token at whatever the current drop rate is for the items and let the player turn it into an NPC for his/her choice of rings.

wont that be too easy to obtain the rings you want???

Lleren
03-05-2012, 12:40 AM
wont that be too easy to obtain the rings you want???

Grind is not a measure of difficulty...Unless you count boredom resistance.

That being said, recoding ToD rings may be required when the enhancements update comes through. Might be simplest to just have 1 for Ring for each of the classes. Add the ability to make it apply to specific PrE's through Yugo favor at the various class trainers. I think I remember Yugo class trainers, if not its a few NPC's or a barter box.