PDA

View Full Version : Old Bard help

Skillless
03-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Need a little help. I started this bard back when drow first came out. I really hate to get rid of him as he has some great loot:
Icy Rainment
Bp of destruction
Tumbleweed
CS of Crippling
And of course my mummified bat(jk)
Nothing I couldn’t get again, but I don’t have the time to play I used to have.
So is there any way to save this guy?
Str (+2 Inherent/+7 enchanted)
Dex (+2 Inherent/+7 enchanted)
Con (+2 Inherent/+6 enchanted)
Cha (+2 Inherent /+7 enchanted, +1 feat)
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/359/ddoo.png
Could be +1 on all of them with a +2 tome, just haven’t used it yet.

I’m currently using him as a warchanter with imp two weapon fighting and imp crit/WF: piercing, PA and toughness. For enhancements I’ve gone with songs for team/fighting bonuses.

ferrite
03-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Ok let's try to save the bearded lady here.

Well the toon is somewhat mediocre I'll give you that. But that's only because it lacks focus.

First off, for any bard I recommend the following race/prestige pairings:

Half-Orc Warchanter, melee, 2h fighter (one big axe)
Drow Spellsinger, caster, enchantress
Elven Virtuoso, ranged, Arcane archer (dual-prestige)

These pairings seem to maximize each prestige class to its fullest potential. Obviously human could substitute, but is not as desirable I feel even with adaptibility, humans just don't bring enough to the table for a bard, unless you just wanna sing songs and sword-and-board.

Anyhoo.. to save him/her, since you chose Drow I'd LR him and MAX charisma and CON, with remainder in STR to carry stuff, and go full spellsinger with it and don't look back. A few points of INT will net you a few more skills, but with the singer you need primarily UMD and not much else, you're already at a level to heal scroll yourself easily. Balance maybe. Both DEX and WIS are dumps for this build.

Once you get that done, I'd start farming for the various charsima based melee weapons that use CHA for att/dmg. At level 20, you'll be quite strong in combat with 40+ charisma powering your attacks. And you'll do well at CC and healing, and casters will love you for the SP buffs.

That's my suggestion.

BoBoDaClown
03-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Half-Orc Warchanter, melee, 2h fighter (one big axe)
Drow Spellsinger, caster, enchantress
Elven Virtuoso, ranged, Arcane archer (dual-prestige)

Human is better for CC Spellsingers - that feat is a godsend.

Half Orcs, Helfs, Humans, Halflings, all make good warchanters, TWF/THF.

As an aside, you are not strong in combat wielding an eElyd Edge - you can kill something that's pretty close to death.

BoBoDaClown
03-03-2012, 01:37 AM
OP.

I would go either TWF Drow Warchanter.

or Drow CC/Heal Spellsinger

For the TWF Warchanter I would probably splash the remaining levels - taking 2 fighter and 2 rogue (for sneak attack) or 2 barb (for rage).

If you feel you have to stay pure I would probably drop extend from the feat list below, but extend is awesome for displcement.

Warchanter (16/2/2 Bard Fighter Rogue)
str: 16 - level ups
dex: 15 (need a +2 tome to qualify for ITWF/GTWF)
Con: 15
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 10

Feats:
Toughness
Extend
Power Attack
Weapon Focus: Pierce
Improved Critical: Pierce
3 TWF Feats
One other Feat - Maybe skill focus UMD until you get UMD to 40 odd.

The 2nd build:

Pure 20 Drow Bard CC/Healer (spellsinger)
Str: 10
Con: 14
Wis: 8
Int: 10
Dex: 10
Cha: 20 + level ups

Feats:
Toughness
Extend
Maximise
Quicken
Heighten
Spell Focus
Spell Pen or another spell focus depending on how you're feeling

***note, you'll have to use an LR to get to these stats/layouts.

DavionFuxa
03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Drow Elves can make great use of any of the Bard Prestige's, and they don't have to be just Spellsingers. Additionally they can splash or stay pure and still do well when you want to play them in Melee due to Rapiers and Shortswords being a proficiency for Bards.

Looking at what you've given us, I would say Warchanter is a good choice, but so is Virtuoso. Depending on if you want to Lesser Reincarnate too, the Virtuoso may be the better option since your stats might be better specced for one. If you go Virtuoso:

Stats Remain as they are, wasteful really to use a Heart of Wood to change them.

Twf, ITwf, GTwf, Toughness, Extend Spell, Improved Critical: Piercing, and Weapon Focus Piercing/Power Attack/Some other Feat Here

Focus on Prereqs for Virtuoso and other Song Enhancements, Find yourself a Perform Item of one sort of another, and focus on boosting up your Strength to help augment your ability to land hits.

Skillless
03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice!
Spellsinger looks like the way to go, plus it will buff up his use as my haggle bard.

Once you get that done, I'd start farming for the various charsima based melee weapons that use CHA for att/dmg. At level 20, you'll be quite strong in combat with 40+ charisma powering your attacks. And you'll do well at CC and healing, and casters will love you for the SP buffs.

Can you give me some examples of what you mean here by these weapons?

BoBoDaClown
03-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice!
Spellsinger looks like the way to go, plus it will buff up his use as my haggle bard.

Can you give me some examples of what you mean here by these weapons?

Epic Elyd Edge - Rapier
Epic Dynastic Falcata - Khopesh

You can look them up on DDO wiki.

They won't give you good dps however, unless you invested in combat feats, i.e. started weakening your spell casting.

They do give you an option to do a bit of damage if needed.

The Elyd Edge also gives you +7 charisma (although I prefer that on an item) and song regeneration (one every five minutes).