PDA

View Full Version : a very simple request: new weapon type

1jazzz
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
as the title implies i notice something missing which i feel should be in the game.

ORC DOUBLE AXE !!!!!

nothing too special, just a few adds in into what we have

exotic weapon class
considered martial wep for half-orc
1d8 slashing damage
uses quarterstaff attack animation(for the 1st introduction anyways)

aside from it being slashing type all it really needs is a new skin, it's basicly a slashing ver. of a quarterstaff.
altho you can argue that we already have Shining Crescents, this does not count as it's a simple wep and it belongs to the least popular raid(at least in my server).

-------------------
as much as i want the chain spikes, lance or scourge/whip i think we can all agree that an orc double axe is not a high demand to make and implement.

masterzzan
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
before fantasy made up weapons how about some of the cool 'real' world weapons that are missing( and ARE in the pnp dnd). such as the scythe (think about it. walking down the street with a freaking 6 foot scythe :-) or the monk's fevered - nunchaku .i would like to have a lance or a spear too. i mean the mobs got spears, can't i loot one from them?

1jazzz
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
well a scythe is a farmers' tool after all, i still remember the problem with 2nd edition where ppl were sneak attacking with a scythe, lol

the main problem for spears, lances, spike chains are the fact that they're double ranged melee weapons.
as for the numb-chucks, i think it's because it'd not fit in with the setting

well that's just my take anyways

Teraz
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Whips, spiked chains, javelins....etc. But I have to admit I'm also a fan of the Double Axe.

gee-dragon776
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I got to say that would be a nice addition to the game. More monk weapons would be great as would many others. Guess ill need to break out the books and add to this when i get off from work.

Cauthey
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
well a scythe is a farmers' tool after all, i still remember the problem with 2nd edition where ppl were sneak attacking with a scythe, lol

Metalbone sneak attacks with the Sword of Shadows, a giant greatsword. So? :D

New bling would definitely be neat. However, I would presume that implementing your request might be a little more involved than you might think. Not saying it's a bad idea, though. :D

1jazzz
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Metalbone sneak attacks with the Sword of Shadows, a giant greatsword. So? :D

New bling would definitely be neat. However, I would presume that implementing your request might be a little more involved than you might think. Not saying it's a bad idea, though. :D

granted, there's lots to consider in the loot side, putting random generated loot aside;

1- this new wep type will need to be implemented in existing quests as named loot

2- atm there's a lacking of named loot already for x-bows, hence this will pile up the to-do list

3- class/race/enchantments synergy will need a relooked, more so since it's considered an axe and it clashes with dwarfs

i'm sure there's other factors which i'm not aware off
-------------------

but lets not forget, of all the weapons available in MMO, i've yet to see a double axe, double swords are already done in PSO/PSU even before phantom menace

with the re-classing for weapons i can think of no better time to slid this in. this is actually the most simple weapons to implement. since the double weapon rule in null in DDO this is a great addition to the perks of playing DDO

Ungood
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
This has been suggested before a few dozen times.

Oh for the sake of. here is the picture again.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z166/Ungood_Images/axesl.jpg

kingfisher
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
flails, heavy and light. no good reason these should not be in game. we should have a blunt with a decent crit profile.

HatsuharuZ
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Personally, I don't really care what new weapon types get added to the game, so long as they are not khopeshes. There are way too many duel-wielding khopesh fighters going around. Well, on Orien server at least. There's even a name for such a build: "khopbot". *sighs*

Okay, I lied. I WOULD like to see katanas, scythes, whips and some other exotic weapons added to the game. I would also like to see some weapons having multiple damage types, like a shortsword that can deal both slashing and piercing damage, for instance.

Vordax
03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
1- this new wep type will need to be implemented in existing quests as named loot

2- atm there's a lacking of named loot already for x-bows, hence this will pile up the to-do list

3- class/race/enchantments synergy will need a relooked, more so since it's considered an axe and it clashes with dwarfs

i'm sure there's other factors which i'm not aware off
-------------------

I think the biggest factor in implementing a new weapon is the amount of new animations and new weapon models that would be needed, I imagine the time involved in doing this would trump your list of 3 things by probably 500 to 1. (assuming they didn't steal an existing animation - blah on that)

Vordax

ShadowFlash
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
as the title implies i notice something missing which i feel should be in the game.

ORC DOUBLE AXE !!!!!

nothing too special, just a few adds in into what we have

exotic weapon class
considered martial wep for half-orc
1d8 slashing damage
uses quarterstaff attack animation(for the 1st introduction anyways)

aside from it being slashing type all it really needs is a new skin, it's basicly a slashing ver. of a quarterstaff.
altho you can argue that we already have Shining Crescents, this does not count as it's a simple wep and it belongs to the least popular raid(at least in my server).

-------------------
as much as i want the chain spikes, lance or scourge/whip i think we can all agree that an orc double axe is not a high demand to make and implement.

I liked how NWN PRC dealt with double weapons...
exotic weapon class
damage die and crit range of base one handed weapon twice
Uses TWF feats and mechanics counting as a light off-hand weapon (negating any need for OTWF)

I.E. Double Axe (or hammer)
1d8+1d8 slashing (not the same as 2d8, as TWF mechanic is used)
20x3 crit

I.E. Double Pick
1d6+1d6 piercing
20x4 crit

I.E. Double Sword
1d8+1d8 slashing
19-20x2 crit

Pro's:
all the benefits of TWF, without the off-hand penalty
Only 1 weapon to craft for specific purposes (boss beaters)
inventory management

Con's:
basically just wielding 2 battle-axes
only one set of magical properties used

All-in all, I see them as more of a flavor weapon, as higher DPS is easily achieved by other means. The ability to only have to make one triple pos double hammer as an undead beater
(or other niche weapons) is nice though.

ShadowFlash

Ravoc-DDO
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Though I'd like to see a few additions to DDO's armory as well, I'd prefer that the devs keep spending their time on rebalancing the current ones first and how deadly weapons will affect them.

licho
03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Just a though:
Dont you sometimes think that we have no weapon choice at all?
Maybe DAxes/BS, Handwraps and Repeaters deserve having the name, but everything else could be sum up as:
-The stick
- The lesser stick, but you dont need to pay feat for that
- Junky stick, dont use it.
- Off hand stick if your tohit is gimped,
- 2H stick
- Stick for scielies.

And thats is. The difference between rapiers scimitars, warhammers, longsword is such a illusion. There is only a crit profile, and it end up with what has the best profile, and what is this update best named stick.
It dosnt matter if you are Elven Ranger, Halfing Rogue or Orc Barbarian the answear is always Khopesh or SoS.
Isnt this exiting?

I wish that there was a real difference between weapons, like each of them have some speciall stuff and ability which will play in some situacion, like:
Daggers - Inherit deception
Rapier - some cripping
Shortsword - some extra SA
Mornigstar - spiked
Club, and GreatClub - inherit stunning chance, and stun bonus.
Maul, and Warhammer - inherit bonebreaking
Scimies - bleeding
Longsword - Parry
Ligh/Heavy pick - fortification penetracion
Axes - Sundering
Gaxes - Destruction
And so one.

This way each weapon will have a edge over others in some sircumstances. And rogues with daggers will be not so rare picture.

After the devs make the current weapon selection matter we can add some more:
Scythe
Double Axe, Double Swords
Nunchaku, Charkan
Spears and Polearms
Spiked Chain

herzkos
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
sure give every one of them an Unwieldy bonus of -6 to hit. bypassable
with 22 str and 26 dex. (the str to get it started and the dex to actually
be able to manipulate the thing without chopping yourself up)
I'd actually be tempted to make the str and dex req much higher given
the inflated stats in this game.

also, please, add fumbles to the game. any roll of a 1(+crit range)
on the d20 = a criton yourself.

your double axe would be special. crit range of 20 but fumble range of 5.

herzkos
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
This has been suggested before a few dozen times.

Oh for the sake of. here is the picture again.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z166/Ungood_Images/axesl.jpg

that guy looks like he's thinking, "and what in khyber am I supposed to do with this thing".

Gorbadoc
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Whips have been mentioned. Lack of variety in weapons has been mentioned. The double-reach issue has been mentioned.

I'm picturing a game.

In this game, you can use spears, lances and other weapons with a long reach. The longer reach is both an advantage (you hit the other guy sooner) and a disadvantage (it's hard or impossible to use if someone closes to dagger range).

In this game, you can use whips, ball-and-chain, flind bars (a name I haven't seen printed since first edition) and assorted other "bending" weapons. They have interesting tripping, disarming, and/or quasi-projectile properties.

In this game, you can call your shots and improvise weapons. If you're fighting on a cliff's edge, you can knock your opponent off. If you jump from a ledge onto your opponent's head, it hurts you both.

This would be super-cool, and I would love to play the game that was built this way. For better or worse, DDO is not that game. I know, it sounds lame, but I don't want to see the combat engine overhauled in DDO, because DDO is a set of content designed to work with the combat engine we already have.

I believe an overhaul is needed to make lances, whips, nunchaku, or flails work correctly, though. The alternative is that these weapons be shoehorned into the existing system-- same mechanics, different numbers. That defeats the whole point!

Scalion
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
There are a lot of possible weapons, but there's only one real 'need' in my mind.

I would like an exotic crushing one handed weapon that has the same two handed weapon properties as bastard sword and dwarven axe.

I don't see a reason not to have it, 1d10 crit on a 20, x3

Just like battle axe >> dwarven axe

Warhamer should >>> something

I do think the OP's suggestion could work, but there are no exotic 2 handers, so it may upset the balance.

Unfortunately I think the only way to keep it balanced with current 2 handers would be to make it 1d8 x2 on a 19 or 20

Ungood
03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
that guy looks like he's thinking, "and what in khyber am I supposed to do with this thing".

Ok.. Ill give you that one.. but he looks cool doing it tho.

Zyerz
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd personally would like to see Lances, whips, Scythes and Double blade weapons like the 3.5 Eberron campaign originally has.

Antheal
03-01-2012, 08:01 PM
How about just starting with weapons that mobs already have in the game?

Like spears and javelins that the Sahuagin have, for starters.

PinkDragonJr
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Pro's:
all the benefits of TWF, without the off-hand penalty
Only 1 weapon to craft for specific purposes (boss beaters)
inventory management

Con's:
basically just wielding 2 battle-axes
only one set of magical properties used

All-in all, I see them as more of a flavor weapon, as higher DPS is easily achieved by other means. The ability to only have to make one triple pos double hammer as an undead beater
(or other niche weapons) is nice though.

ShadowFlash

When i look at the dire weapons (Orc B/Ax, Hoziaken, Double-blades, and Dual Maces) I see balanced weapons, like staves. which would lead to, I think to a lot of monk/Kensei builds.
Not saying that's a bad thing. Would like to see a monk get their spastic on while holding one of those. that's just how I see those weapon additions going. and Yes i would love to the see the scythe make and appearance. the farmers use them so they already have the animations and models for them. you could even have the monk weapon master for a choice one of these weapons as a prestige alongside the good and evil prestige's, maybe focusing on a neutral-ish path.

masterzzan
03-02-2012, 02:40 AM
There are a lot of possible weapons, but there's only one real 'need' in my mind.

I would like an exotic crushing one handed weapon that has the same two handed weapon properties as bastard sword and dwarven axe.

I don't see a reason not to have it, 1d10 crit on a 20, x3

Just like battle axe >> dwarven axe

Warhamer should >>> something

I do think the OP's suggestion could work, but there are no exotic 2 handers, so it may upset the balance.

Unfortunately I think the only way to keep it balanced with current 2 handers would be to make it 1d8 x2 on a 19 or 20

you will have problem with implanting that as the 2 handed maul already has 1d10 and crit range of 20 / X3

1jazzz
03-02-2012, 05:39 AM
actually there's no need to create the double weapon rule. since quarterstaff and shining crescent both works properly as intended.

the numbers and such should stay as close as PnP as possible

i made this post after looking at many 3.5 PnP weps, atm

lances, whip, chain spikes and such weps have double range which is not present in-game

javelins, bola, net requires special animation to be made, tho this can be considered implemented via cannith crafting- rune stones

another wep i noticed is the :

great bow
exotic wep(made by elven forest tribes)
must be at least 6 feet tall to use

i'm actually using the least required work (in my mind) to implement. considering the weapon rules from PnP and what's in-game

Ungood
03-02-2012, 05:50 AM
you will have problem with implanting that as the 2 handed maul already has 1d10 and crit range of 20 / X3

Yah. but they could put in 2d4 20/x3 (does slash and blunt) weapon.

Called the Dwarven Hammer of War. (Based of Betaray Bills Hammer: Stormbreaker (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/1e/84/5ccf81b0c8a0ccc19c8a8110.L.jpg))

Also, an Orc Double Axe was basically two great axes put together by a long pole. So it's profile would be something more along the lines of:

Orc Double Axe:
Damage Profile: 1d12 20/x3 (Normal Great Axe)
Double Strike: 8% (This is an Inherent Bonus and Stacks with all other Double Strike Bonuses, also this goes away if you not proficent with the weapon.)
Animation: Quarter Staff.

I would like to see double Swords in the game as well.

But lets be real, if you put in double weapons, players would want to have 2 prefixes and 2 suffixes because, it's a "double" weapon.

That would OP the everliving daylights out of these weapons and we all know it, and even if players were told that, they would still complain that it is a double weapon and should have double the augments. And the endless posts about it would continue to fill forums.

The arguments would be: I need to take a special feat to use this weapon I should be more powerful.

Folllowed by a cry for "We need more named double weapons"

We all know it.

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-02-2012, 05:53 AM
In TDE, there is a sort of lesser demon which is classically fighting with whips.

Riggs
03-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah new weapons would be nice.

Double weapons could use the staff animation, but that would be kind of lame. But better than not adding in a new weapon at all.

However spears, halberds, pikes etc which are far more basic weapons should be added first.

And Since Druids are coming - scythes.

licho
03-02-2012, 07:18 AM
IMHO the double enders should have a advantage:
- Being able to craft one specific weapon for the niche task (like bayeshyk stick, or anti undead, or whatever bane)
- Add the full str modificator to the offhand, which is a big thing itself. Since there is no main hand.
- looking awesome

And this is enought.

As for animation, it must be the new one, since blow with double ender over your head could be harmful.
But something with swing of blades around toon is a good direction, or some filling and throwing in the air and then pin to the ground. :-p

1jazzz
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
i don't think it's wise to introduce a weapon boosted right way, this is how it should be implimented:

1- everything from the PnP ver with some minor additions like making it martal for half-orcs. not considered a double weapon, but has a minor increase in attack speed

2- readjustments to weapons and procs

3- with such a weapon in the game, the design team can create, test and tweak the double weapon mechanics

4- readjustments to weapons and procs

5- rebalance or change extra/new mechanics as accordance
-------------------------

this is also what happened to b.sword and dwarven axe. glancing blows and such can be implemented given the chance.

which is why i always object to new items buffed at start