PDA

View Full Version : Monk Stance Looks

ICPNinja
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I have been bouncing around an idea for monks to have a constant cosmetic look to them depending on the stance they are in. And this look increases with intensity with each tier of the stance you go into. Pretty much similar to the Sorc Savants in a sense. Though not to just copy paste the code of what a Sorcs looks is to monk stances.

These are the ideas of each Stance

Water Stance would have water dripping from the body. First tier looks like little water droplets falling from the body and by grandmaster Water they look as if they climbed out of a body of a lake or something.

Wind Stance would look either like a small debris is circling around the monk. Lower forms of this stance you just see a little debris just circling around their feet and as you go up in tiers for the stance the debris raises higher and faster around the monk.

Earth Stance would just keep that Stone look they get as they go into that stance. That shouldn't be to hard to implement. I personally love the rock look an Earth stance monk has when they go into stance.

Fire Stance has flames coming off the body but not in the same look as Fire Savant Sorcs. But more like Fire Shield (Hot) in a sense but not as intense as Fire Shield. First Tier you see small kindleing of fire on the body and just grow with small intensity at higher tiers.

And for people who do not want to have this visual effect on their monk at any given time there can be a toggle button for it to turn the visual effect on and off. This also helps those who have lower videos cards and have to have lower graphics setting to keep their frame rate at a decent lvl.

Malidane
02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Thumbs up ... any and all special effects for the toons AND EPIC ITEMS as well -- would be very welcomed... C'mon DEV's The DDO Store is raking it IN BABY ! ... get some graphical talent beyond "THE INTENRN" ..

sebastianosmith
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
What would be even cooler is that when in any GM stance the character's hair would turn blonde, a shimmering glow would form an outline around them and miscellaneous debris would begin to levitate upwards. That's the only way to be certain of the ├╝berness. ;)

Riggs
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I too, want my Ki to be over 9000.

sebastianosmith
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I too, want my Ki to be over 9000.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm2/plexd11/HIS_POWER_LEVEL_ITS_OVER_NINE_THOUS.jpg

TheThirdRose
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I like this idea. thought it would be cool if something like this was done for monks since the savants came out. Something like this or handwraps having visual effects would be nice.

TheThirdRose
02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Disregard this. Posting mistake.

ICPNinja
03-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Bump

Dendrix
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Have the stances fluffy appearances be purchasable options in the store!

djsonar919
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
I was thinking of a similar idea to this the other day. Your suggestion would be easier to implement from what I was thinking. What I was thinking is that the different stances would reflect a different martial art. For Example:

Earth: Regular Stand-up MMA style.

Water: Capoeira (The constant ginga would I'm sure create some bugs)

Air: Ninjutsu, Wu Dang or other fluid martial art

Fire: Shaolin Tiger Style

I feel this would be a pretty awesome implementation. However, I can see how the devs probably would put this on the very back burner, probably heating it in a crockpot for years to come.

Totensonntag
03-01-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't need/want some dripping wet Monk in the center of my TFT. But i'd love to have some visuals for flaming (etc.) fist.
Even far older mmorpgs like Anarchy Online could do it with their Martial Artist.
Or Shego from the Kim Possible cartoon for example got some green flame coming from her fists.
So why do DDO Monks have to look lame even in end game?

ICPNinja
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
I was thinking of a similar idea to this the other day. Your suggestion would be easier to implement from what I was thinking. What I was thinking is that the different stances would reflect a different martial art. For Example:

I feel this would be a pretty awesome implementation. However, I can see how the devs probably would put this on the very back burner, probably heating it in a crockpot for years to come.

Yeah having unique stances for each elemental stance would be great as well. Thought about that my several times before. But as you said don't think it would be something they would put on their priority list. Just figured if anything a small visual effect for monk stances would be a lot easier to do sense they have been able to do it for Sorc Savants. So they already have the knowledge of doing so so why not. But wouldn't mind unique stances for each elemental stance. Would be awesome.

ICPNinja
03-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Bump

bigolbear
03-03-2012, 06:53 AM

This is the right way to think.

Alternatively we could have the elemental cosmetics as originaly suggested (with a toggle for visuals) with different martail art styles dependant on the animal school.

Speaing of monk animal schools, WERE IN XENDRIK for goodness sake, ive never seen monkey (other than wild men), a crane (plenty of seaguls) etc. although with us going to forgotten realms soon perhaps this doenst matter any more.

Id love to see scorpion stance, and spider stance added to the list tho as these animals feature highly in ddo.

so here id sugges the folowing martial art styles:

default: as we see now (which btw is shaolin longfist i think)
crane: crane style kungfu.
monkey: monkey style kung fu.
badger: tiger style kung fu.
wolf: there is a wolf style kung fu but its rare to see it in real life so perhaps somehting kile tai kwon do.
tortoise: tai chi.

I know this is hefty on the art/animation budget so perhaps the best way is simply to have 'moves' accessable for each of these enhancements that are signature moves for each of these styles in the same way the elemental stances do.

DrakeD77a
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I would love to see different martial arts for monks or at the very least the cosmetic changes.

Failedlegend
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

I agree with this...the monk stances are BASED on the properties of that element the Monk doesn't actually become that element ala Savants. Actual change in "Stance" makes more sense

DustTheWind
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
New looks to stances may lead to... more stances.

you all ever though about sonic attacks or even dehydration attack, dark stance attack, light stance attack with light damage? You know this could open up some interesting possibilities. Maybe even mixing stances. Light sonic, or dark earth acid for instance. Light and dark for grey stance. ect. Maybe similar to concordant opposition? :D Wow the possibilities are a plenty here. And with it they could incorporate a wider variety of looking stances. That is if the devs are up to that kind of a challenge. Mabe stances could be incorporated beyond monks to all classes?

Sir_Noob
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
There should also be a different stance and look to monks using whirling steel strike wielding duo long swords.

Totensonntag
03-06-2012, 02:30 AM
There should also be a different stance and look to monks using whirling steel strike wielding duo long swords.
True. This was really annoying. Being in that lame standard twf stance while playing my LS monk life. -.-

ICPNinja
03-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Bump

JOTMON
10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Would be nice to see some stances visually.

Even druid has a cool watery look in their water form.