PDA

View Full Version : No More Mephits!

Talon_Moonshadow
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Ever!

I've been meaning to say this for six years now.

I hate those things.

DDO has taken what was suppose to be a minor nuisance, and turned it into the most overpowered, overused monster in the game.

I have no idea why the devs like these things so much.

Some of the challenges looked so cool at first. Using a whole bunch of monsters that had barely been used anywhere else. And then you had to ruin them with filling them up with Mephits.

Super powered Mephits.

I would love super powered anything else....just not Mephits.

/rantoff. :cool:

Sarisa
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
It only got worse in u5 or so, when they gained the ability to mass summon more Mephits. Now, whenever a mephit is encountered, or is killed, it has a fairly high chance of summoning yet another Mephit. The SRD has Mephits summoning more Mephits, but the SRD has limits as to how often they can summon. DDO does not have those limits.

Exponential dungeon alert annoyances.

danotmano1998
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
The only thing I'd love to see changed about Mephits is their sound effect, to be honest.
That puking sound they make over and over gets tedious. :)

MRMechMan
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
At least the challenges don't have any damn kobo-

Doh.

morticianjohn
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
The only thing I'd love to see changed about Mephits is their sound effect, to be honest.

I love that! Blaaargh. Sometimes I just have to say it out loud when there are no mephits around to do it.

Because they are generally around when there are elementals I love the mephits. They go down easy. The elementals are tough.

Fire ele's, earth ele's, water ele's, and air ele's. These are so much more annoying for me than the mephits that I actually ENJOY mephit killing.

delsoboss
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Uhm the most annoying monsters in the challenges for me are the Arcanoloth Something (it's a tie betwen the two types) that love to neg level me to oblivion if i forget deathward, the drow in Lava Caves are not so bad.

Oh and then there are the scorpions, i hate all the overpowered annoying disappearing scorpions of Xendrik, i really hope there won't be ANY scorpion in Faerun.

Diyon
02-23-2012, 12:33 PM

The sound from them that annoys me is the wing flapping noise. Not the noise in and of itself, but because it always persists in the area after they are all killed, making you think there's still more, or one hidden that was just summoned, etc.

Missing_Minds
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
They fly with wings. Why the hell we can't knock them out of the damn sky is beyond me. We used to be able to "trip" them. We should by all freaking rights still be able to do so. No, they over powered the litter ****ers and mephits **** me off.

They are also the one creature in the game there is no favored enemy for or any ranger I had would have them blackmarked.

Yes, they are my most hated, and I mean HATED!!!!!1!!1!11!!!!1!1! creature in the game.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
At least the challenges don't have any damn kobo-

Doh.

lol.

(I kinda like Kobolds actually. :p )

Diyon
02-23-2012, 12:44 PM
They fly with wings. Why the hell we can't knock them out of the damn sky is beyond me. We used to be able to "trip" them. We should by all freaking rights still be able to do so. No, they over powered the litter ****ers and mephits **** me off.

They are also the one creature in the game there is no favored enemy for or any ranger I had would have them blackmarked.

Yes, they are my most hated, and I mean HATED!!!!!1!!1!11!!!!1!1! creature in the game.

Ummmmm, you CAN knock them out of the sky. Stunning or holding them makes them fall to the ground. It makes sense you can't trip them. What are you going to do? Knock them off their feat? Because that's what tripping is.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I also think Elementals have been overused.

And scorpians.

and trogs. And trolls. And Bezikira(sp)

starting to think Theiflings too.

I'd like to see new Devils, instead of more Bearded and Orthons, but I still enjoy fighting them.

Tired of skeletons with new names. and zombies and Wights. I think we need a break from Undead for awhile in general.
(but they do owe us a Dracolich)

But Mephits have a special place in my hate box. Because I could swear those things were suppose to be low HD monsters, just about on the same threat level as a Wizard's Familiar.
Yet in DDO they have killed me more than any other monster type over the years. :(

Talon_Moonshadow
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM

My first character was a Rgr(mutt), and when I got high enough for my second Favored Enemy, I kept looking over the whole list trying to find something that included Mephits! :mad:

Missing_Minds
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Ummmmm, you CAN knock them out of the sky. Stunning or holding them makes them fall to the ground. It makes sense you can't trip them. What are you going to do? Knock them off their feat? Because that's what tripping is.

What do you think happens when you smack their wings about like we smack a leg about? Oh yeah.. you tripped them. They fall down go boom. So no, it does NOT make sense why we can not use trip on them.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
What do you think happens when you smack their wings about like we smack a leg about? Oh yeah.. you tripped them. They fall down go boom. So no, it does NOT make sense why we can not use trip on them.

We should be able to grab them by their scrawny necks and throw them down on the ground and stomp on them! :cool:

redspecter23
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh and then there are the scorpions, i hate all the overpowered annoying disappearing scorpions of Xendrik, i really hope there won't be ANY scorpion in Faerun.

One of these days I'm going to encounter a real life scorpion and I'll be thinking "I'll just wait until he burrows into the concrete, then I'll make a run for it." It will just be common sense that scorpions can burrow into any surface, regardless of it's hardness or density.

Missing_Minds
02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
We should be able to grab them by their scrawny necks and throw them down on the ground and stomp on them! :cool:

I think my barb would probably give them the Ozzy treatment, oversized bats they are.

PSA: http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02032012.shtml

JOTMON
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
It is annoying how the mephit can summon a mephit, then those two mephits will summon 2 more mephits and so on. I was kiting a dozen mephits in the desert trying to kill the caster that summoned the first mephit after I got thrown off the side by the air elemental. It was amusing and annoying at the same time, as all the mephits came bouncing along the top to come down and attack me while the conjurer was throwing lightning bolts and here I am with no ranged weapon trying to kill the air elemental.

Wonder how many mephits I could have spawned if I gave them enough time...

Wish I could summon a mephit that would summon a mephit army for me.

Diyon
02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
It is annoying how the mephit can summon a mephit, then those two mephits will summon 2 more mephits and so on. I was kiting a dozen mephits in the desert trying to kill the caster that summoned the first mephit after I got thrown off the side by the air elemental. It was amusing and annoying at the same time, as all the mephits came bouncing along the top to come down and attack me while the conjurer was throwing lightning bolts and here I am with no ranged weapon trying to kill the air elemental.

Wonder how many mephits I could have spawned if I gave them enough time...

Wish I could summon a mephit that would summon a mephit army for me.

By PnP rules, a summon is not able to use its inherent summon ability. Also, most devils have one of these abilities too.

You actually COULD summon a mephit that would summon a mephit army AGAINST you. Its been fixed though, especially because it was a low level summon and people were using it to regen their sp through torcs/concop.

Zyerz
02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Ever!

I've been meaning to say this for six years now.

I hate those things.

DDO has taken what was suppose to be a minor nuisance, and turned it into the most overpowered, overused monster in the game.

I have no idea why the devs like these things so much.

Some of the challenges looked so cool at first. Using a whole bunch of monsters that had barely been used anywhere else. And then you had to ruin them with filling them up with Mephits.

Super powered Mephits.

I would love super powered anything else....just not Mephits.

/rantoff. :cool:

The other day, I was running Crucible elite, and the gnoll mage spawned around 10 mephits.... While all the orcs decided to ring the bell... We had about 30 monsters total lol... We almost wiped lol... Those guys can be nasty indeed. But I enjoy a challenge.:p

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Compared to Oozes, I really love Mephits.

It's the Oozes I really really really hate.

I always have the feeling as if they were about to vomit elemantal dust ...

LOOON375
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I have to say that I think scorpions are pretty darn tough and annoying on elite and epic. Nothing like getting laughed at because you got stunned then killed by a little scorpion. ha

dunklezhan
02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
the fat rats in the mansion challenges.... what's that about then? Been fighting rats since L1, never have I encountered such beasts as in the L19 challenge...

anyway... mephits. Paralyzing & stunning both seem to work for dropping them to the ground. Trip should work too, it really just means 'knock down', but the Devs just used in a non-adaptive single sweep animation (I say that like its an easy thing to make an adaptive one! I of course, have no idea). Mephits would be immune to a sweep, clearly, they aren't even on the ground so you wouldn't be able to knock their feet out from under them. But you might deliberately hit their wings with an overhand smash to beat them to the floor for a bit, it would still be a 'trip' maneuvre, surely? Seems crazy that if stuns, hamstrings etc work, your trips shouldn't too.

As an artificer, even one with a muckbane, I heartily agree oozes are horrible, too. The dog splits them, which can get... interesting. Still, peashooter + acid elemental weapon buffed Muckbane with insightful damage up seems to work handily, good job they have no AC to speak of.

My least favorite mob though has to be Jarilith. Tripping bloody nuisances they are, with the added annoyance of having a decent to hit and good damage output, with a relatively unusual DR combination. Bah. Bah! I say!

On the other hand I love giants, kobolds, dragons and the droam army. They all rock.

RabidKoala
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
What I really hate are the mephits that spew the dust you can't see through. The other types aren't that bad but I despise those.

Missing_Minds
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
I have to say that I think scorpions are pretty darn tough and annoying on elite and epic. Nothing like getting laughed at because you got stunned then killed by a little scorpion. ha

Meh, those are nothing compared to original Brown Princes.

Sarisa
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
What I really hate are the mephits that spew the dust you can't see through. The other types aren't that bad but I despise those.

Epic ones and their Fog Cloud. That's worse, with the massive screen of white.

My least favorite mob though has to be Jarilith. Tripping bloody nuisances they are, with the added annoyance of having a decent to hit and good damage output, with a relatively unusual DR combination. Bah. Bah! I say!

Don't forget their fear aura.

InsanityIsYourFriend
02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
aye i hate mephits soooo much, they should not be so numerous
make them spawn with one elemental and if you kill that elemental then they all die or something i mean seriously!

BitkaCK2
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Phase spiders. I hates dem phase spiders.

bitkaCK2

Zirun
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Two words:

Air.

Elementals.

ಠ_ಠ

Give me a billion rust monsters, mephits, and phase spiders, just, for the love of Lolth, don't you dare sic a pack of air elementals on me. It's not like they can even kill you very well, like mephits can (especially if you don't have 100% fort), they just toss you around everywhere, doing no damage.

bhgiant
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Two words:

Air.

Elementals.

ಠ_ಠ

Give me a billion rust monsters, mephits, and phase spiders, just, for the love of Lolth, don't you dare sic a pack of air elementals on me. It's not like they can even kill you very well, like mephits can (especially if you don't have 100% fort), they just toss you around everywhere, doing no damage.
qft