PDA

View Full Version : Ranger granted feats question

darthbbd
02-23-2012, 12:01 AM
On the granted feats for the TWF track, ou don't need to have the high DEX to use those feats. What about the ranged feats, cause I get Rapid Shot as a free granted feat along with TWF, but the pre-req for it says Point Blank Shot, do I have to take PBS in order to use the granted RS or does it work like the TWF and I now have it?

CheeseMilk
02-23-2012, 12:11 AM
You get everything automatically, even if you don't meet the pre-reqs.

darthbbd
02-23-2012, 12:45 AM
You get everything automatically, even if you don't meet the pre-reqs.

Good, I don't have to waste a fewat picking up PBS just to use RS

WruntJunior
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
As an addendum, even tempest rangers generally carry a good bow just in case they need to sprout some manyshot mayhem. :D All of the feats together for free-ish is very nice (free-ish because it comes at the cost of being a ranger, which though a good class, is highly looked down-upon).

FrozenNova
02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
As a tempest you need at least 13 dex in order to take dodge.

WruntJunior
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
As a tempest you need at least 13 dex in order to take dodge.

This is true, but 13 dex is trivially easy compared to the 17 most twf need. Besides, a decent dex is good so that pulling out a bow is a valid option.

FrozenNova
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
A fair few rangers choose to take more than 13 for the added bow to-hit and reflex save.

WruntJunior
02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
A fair few rangers choose to take more than 13 for the added bow to-hit and reflex save.

And AC, as pure 20 ranger isn't really good currently and monk is one of the most popular splashes on a ranger (especially along with rogue).

brian14
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Can rangers use granted feats (TWF, etc.) while wearing Medium armor? Rangers are proficient with Medium armor from the start.

unbongwah
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Can rangers use granted feats (TWF, etc.) while wearing Medium armor?
Yes, however they lose Evasion if wearing med or hvy armor. Also this is incorrect -

Rangers are proficient with Medium armor from the start.
Pure rangers are only proficient in light armor, though a multi-classed ranger would gain whatever profs. come from their other class(es), of course. So one option if you splashed, say, ftr or barb on a rgr is to use med / hvy armor while leveling, then switch to light armor once you gained Evasion from rgr lvl 9.

WruntJunior
02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Can rangers use granted feats (TWF, etc.) while wearing Medium armor? Rangers are proficient with Medium armor from the start.

While rangers are not proficient with medium armor (they only have light at the start), unlike in PnP, granted feats don't disappear when wearing armor heavier than light. There's not much benefit to wearing heavier armor, though, especially if you don't have proficiency, as you lose evasion.

Personally, I prefer robes and outfits just for the quick swaps (and because I like my rangers with a monk splash).