PDA

View Full Version : random mimic attacks

bloodnose13
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
title says most of it, imagine a chance for any (non warded raid chest) to be mimic, that you have to kill to get chest, such chest would gain +1/+2 to lvl of loot contained in it as reward for killing it. would that not be fun? :D

madmaxhunter
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
/signed

A little more randomness would be a good thing. Would prevent some of the auto-pilot runs.

Cauthey
02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
YES!

/signed.

This would be a very nifty surprise. Just imagine:

Party recovers from the boss fight. Cleric brings up the squishy character that died with raise dead (minimum HPs). Everyone else is fair to middlin' HPs. Anxious character cracks open the chest...but it ATTACKS! (Less plot-points and dialog than Chester, moar fortification bypassing critical CHOMPS!)

Would definitely make things interesting from time to time.

MartinusWyllt
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
only if we get this, too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Lurker_Above.JPG/200px-Lurker_Above.JPG

Havok.cry
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
You know that one catacombs mission where all the breakables have a chance to spawn vermin. I would make it like that, only with mimics instead. Maybe a 1% chance for the breakable to be a mimic, that drops random lootgen stuff. Possibly add in an extra bonus to the ransack stuff.

BruceTheHoon
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Something similar has been suggested as soon as mimic(s) were announced and I still think it's a brilliant idea.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I just had a thought.

WHat has woried me about random mimics, is that sometimes thegraphics for things that animate, like Gargoyes...etc. show the monster before it actually animates.

They need to work on this to be able to completely fool players, and catch us by surprise.

One thing I thought of was to actually have a chest there, but have the mimic spawn when it opens.... hard to explain, and I am not sure that would work correcty either.

But I like the idea of the guy who opened the chest getting stuck with the loot window open as he's getting atacked. :D

These could even be empty chests if they like. Or have some token bauble the mimic uses to lure people in.

Missing_Minds
02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I just had a thought.

WHat has woried me about random mimics, is that sometimes thegraphics for things that animate, like Gargoyes...etc. show the monster before it actually animates.

I only see that on spawn ins. On any that were drawn/spawned as part of a room that was already rendered, I've not seen that effect.

countfitz
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
/signed

Oh, and yeah, I totally suggested this when the mimic in Acute Delirium came out.

So GREAT suggestion :)

madmaxhunter
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
They could make it like the ear dweller, doesn't exist until the chest is opened... and they could have more fun with it. When it gets to 50 percent health, have it run off, you gotta chase it down (ala ear dweller). If it get's out of sight, it's gone for good (morphed into a rug, torch, or something).

danotmano1998
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
/signed

Oh yeah, that would be a lot of fun. Quest completes, everyone goes to the chest, and pop!
Surprise!

Would be absolutely awesome to get these randomly, in any quest, so there's always that small chance for the shocker.

Talias006
02-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd like something similar to happen, but with a slight change considering some abilities.

Have it not be affected by aura's that negatively interact with enemy mobs. Period.

That way, no Angel of Vengeance aura (or similar spell area of effect) will show us where the mimic is and to attack the chest before checking it for loot first.

Crazeee
02-24-2012, 04:17 AM
/SIGNED (in capital letters)

azrael4h
02-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I just had a thought.

They need to work on this to be able to completely fool players, and catch us by surprise.

One thing I thought of was to actually have a chest there, but have the mimic spawn when it opens.... hard to explain, and I am not sure that would work correcty either.

But I like the idea of the guy who opened the chest getting stuck with the loot window open as he's getting atacked. :D

These could even be empty chests if they like. Or have some token bauble the mimic uses to lure people in.

Also what about the FvS aura? You can see hidden/underground mobs locations with that. Random Mimic chests are great, but make sure we can't tell they're there!

Talias006
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Also what about the FvS aura? You can see hidden/underground mobs locations with that. Random Mimic chests are great, but make sure we can't tell they're there!

That's a nice idea! Go up 2 posts from yours to see me agreeing with you. :rolleyes: :D

parowan
02-24-2012, 08:33 PM
/signed

With the caveat that I don't want my Abbot chest or my epic Von6 chests to be replaced by mimics! Generic chests only please.

dotHackSign
02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
only if we get this, too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Lurker_Above.JPG/200px-Lurker_Above.JPG

Is a lurker kinda like a piker? :)

/signed I think random mimic attacks are a great idea.

azrael4h
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
/signed

With the caveat that I don't want my Abbot chest or my epic Von6 chests to be replaced by mimics! Generic chests only please.

As long as we get our loot/seals/shards afterwards why not?