PDA

View Full Version : I still don't understand the mechanisms behind transferring spells from scrolls ...

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Hello, everyone,

I play a fresh level 5 Wizard, and have quite difficulties in understanding the mechanisms of transferring a spell from a scroll into the own spellbook (it isn't displayed as a real book, but it call it as that for now).

Okay, I wanted to transfer a spell that says it is a level 3 spell.

I have bought spell transferring stuff for a level 3 scroll. Or so I've understood it.

What I didn't understand is that the Wizard probably needed level 3 in spells, too. But that's fixed now (level 5 Wizard).

Why, now, can't my Wizard transfer a level 3 spell ?

The exact case :

I have -

- Level 3 spell : "repair medium damage" http://ddowiki.com/page/Repair_Moderate_Damage
- Level 3 inscription material http://ddowiki.com/page/Inscription_Material
- Level 3 spells can be cast by the Wizard

How does it work, actually ? Why am I not able to inscribe this scroll ?

This spell was not one I been choosing so far for my Wizard's spellbook.

Alrik

Rakezi
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm assuming you are not inscribing the spell. Drag the inscribe feat feat from your feats page and target the scroll and hit that hotkey/hotbutton.

Jaid314
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
first off, that's actually a level 2 spell. level 3 is the level you can cast it at, and you could actually scribe it as early as level 1 provided you had the resources.

so that's one possible source of the problems; you may need level 2 inscribing materials, not level 3.

anyways, the process goes like this:

1) as was mentioned, make sure your inscribe scroll feat has been placed on a hotbar somewhere.
2) you can scribe a scroll as soon as you reach the minimum level requirement. this is usually not the same as the level where you could actually cast the spell, which means you can in fact inscribe something, and won't be able to see it in your spellbook. it will be there when you gain the right level, though.
3) get the scroll and the correct level of inscibing materials in your inventory. you obviously know how to look up spells, you'll notice that in the case of repair moderate damage it says "Level: Art 2, Sor/Wiz 2". it is, therefore, a level 2 spell.
4) click on the scroll in your inventory that you wish to scribe. it does not need to be equipped, just make sure it shows up in your focus orb.
5) without selecting anything else accidentally, or de-selecting that scroll, click on your inscribe feat.

hope that helps (and if not, well... i've probably been ninja'd half a dozen times...)

SisAmethyst
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
First have the right Spell Inscription Materials in your inventory: http://content.turbine.com/sites/compendium.ddo.com/images/icons/item/eq_comp_inscribe_level_02.png

Most of the time you could just look on the scroll of the spell to check which level of material you need. However this is not always correct. Also some scrolls that can be inscribed by either Artificer or Wizards can inscribed by them at different level.
In this case the spell Repair Moderate Damage (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Repair_Moderate_Damage) http://content.turbine.com/sites/compendium.ddo.com/images/icons/spell/sp_repairmoderatedamage.png is however a level 2 spell (see the small number II in the upper left corner), so you not need the level 3 but the level 2 inscription material. If the number in the upper left is wrong or unreadable it is usually written in the description. However even this may be wrong so you would need to try an ingredient.
Keep in mind that for wizards you get a new spell level each odd number, in other words, at level 1, 3, 5, 7, ... so at level 7 you can inscribe spells of level 4. Or better say you can even inscribe them already before, but only access them at that level from your spellbook.

Last but not least press the Inscribe Wizard Scroll (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Inscribe_Wizard_Scroll) http://content.turbine.com/sites/compendium.ddo.com/images/icons/feat/feat_inscribespell_wiz.png icon in your hotbar to inscribe the spell.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm assuming you are not inscribing the spell. Drag the inscribe feat feat from your feats page and target the scroll and hit that hotkey/hotbutton.

Already did that. The feat hangs in the fast access bar. I target the scroll with the mouse and - meanwhile it is selected - I double click on the feat.

first off, that's actually a level 2 spell. level 3 is the level you can cast it at, and you could actually scribe it as early as level 1 provided you had the resources.

so that's one possible source of the problems; you may need level 2 inscribing materials, not level 3.

So why does it say it is a "level 3 spell", then ?

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay, here is a screenshot with it, with the part that says its "spell level" is "3" (everything is in German language so I have to translate it) :

cwfergtx
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
The Spell is a Level 2 spell which means the caster has to be level 3 to load it from his book. To put it in the book he needs the scribing material for a level 2 spell.

Garix
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
It's an easy trap to fall into if your not familiar with DDO/D&D

Required caster level isn't the same as spell level

Divide the shown caster level by two and round up thats the spell level (for wizards/clerics - ignore the round up for sorcs/FVS)

ie

caster level 3 / 2 = 1.5 round up becomes spell level 2

caster level 13 / 2 =6.5 round up becomes spell level 7

etc etc

JollySwagMan
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
2) you can scribe a scroll as soon as you reach the minimum level requirement. this is usually not the same as the level where you could actually cast the spell, which means you can in fact inscribe something, and won't be able to see it in your spellbook. it will be there when you gain the right level, though.

Minor nitpick, my Wizard has been able to inscribe scrolls such as D-Door and Wall of Fire at level 1 (mailed from an alt)

Still +1 for the post!

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
The Spell is a Level 2 spell which means the caster has to be level 3 to load it from his book. To put it in the book he needs the scribing material for a level 2 spell.

Why is the information that it is a level 2 spell not seen in the screenshot ? I mean, it would be essential to let everyone know it, no ? Just to avoid further confusion.

Or is this a "simple" translation error ? Does the word "Zauberstufe", which I had interpreted as "spell level" perhaps *not* mean "spell level" ?

It's an easy trap to fall into if your not familiar with DDO/D&D

Required caster level isn't the same as spell level

Divide the shown caster level by two and round up thats the spell level (for wizards/clerics - ignore the round up for sorcs/FVS)

ie

caster level 3 / 2 = 1.5 round up becomes spell level 2

caster level 13 / 2 =6.5 round up becomes spell level 7

etc etc

Thank you very much ! This is partly the information I was looking for !

Minor nitpick, my Wizard has been able to inscribe scrolls such as D-Door and Wall of Fire at level 1

Had already done so as well. This was one of the few things I really remembered from "D&D Wizardry", so to say.

Psiandron
02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
You're being confused by caster level (zauberstufe) and spell level (es ist mir ein bischen peinlich, aber ich hab' keine ahnung wie das auf deutsch heisst :o). The spell is a 2nd level spell, which means that you have to be a level 3 wizard.

For some strange reason it doesn't actually state the spell level on the scroll ever, in English or in German, just the caster level.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 03:02 PM
You're being confused by caster level (zauberstufe) and spell level (es ist mir ein bischen peinlich, aber ich hab' keine ahnung wie das auf deutsch heisst :o). The spell is a 2nd level spell, which means that you have to be a level 3 wizard.

For some strange reason it doesn't actually state the spell level on the scroll ever, in English or in German, just the caster level.

Aha ! Thank you very much ! Now I've finally found the source of my confusion !

I think that'd be a good suggestion ...

Vielen Dank für deine Hilfe ! :)

- This case can be closed. ;) -

REDv61
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
It says the spell level in a little roman numeral in the top left corner of the spell symbol. not easy always to see, but there.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Ah, thanks. Indeed : Easy to overlook ...

Aeolwind
02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
It says the spell level in a little roman numeral in the top left corner of the spell symbol. not easy always to see, but there.

Unfortunately, it isn't always correct. There are cases where it is wrong =/.

LordMond63
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Minor nitpick, my Wizard has been able to inscribe scrolls such as D-Door and Wall of Fire at level 1 (mailed from an alt)

Still +1 for the post!

As I understand it (correct, please, if I am wrong here), you can inscribe a spell which is higher level than you can cast and your chance to successfully inscribe it is the same as your chance to successfully cast it off the scroll. The bad news is that there is no way, so far as I know, to see what spells of higher level you have inscribed before you are able to actually cast that level spells.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
And some where it is outright missing. I've seen in "my" Guild's chest a scroll with something of a "word of power" with it (never seen it before) - the number on the scrroll icon is missing. Completely.

But to the positive side : I am able to hereby announce that I have successfully carried out the desired task of transferring the above mentioned scroll into the Wizard's scrollbook ! :) Yay ! :)

Thank you everyone ! :)

Psiandron
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Kudos on getting your spell inscribed. :cool:

Btw, spells have the spell level on the icon in roman numerals, scrolls do not (at least none that I've ever seen do).

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
The one in the screenshot has it. And others as well.

The spell icon on the scroll in the screenshot has a very, very dark "II" on it.

Edit : I think I must correct myself : The actual scroll symbol doesn't have a number. Only the spell icon has.

SisAmethyst
02-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Okay, here is a screenshot with it, with the part that says its "spell level" is "3" (everything is in German language so I have to translate it) :

Nochmal zusamengefasst und auch noch die Begriffserklärung für spell level ;)

Zauberstufe (en: caster level) = Die Stufe die der Zauberer braucht um diesen Spruch anzuwenden
Zaubergrad (Spruchstufe, en: spell level) = Der Grad des Spruches

Als Magier erreicht man den nächsten Zaubergrad immer auf den ungeraden Stufen, sprich:

Zauberstufe - Zaubergrad
1 - 1
3 - 2
5 - 3
7 - 4
9 - 5

Wichtig ist hier auch anzumerken der Unterschied zwischen Zauberstufe und und Stufe. Ein Multiklassen Charakter mit Stufe 6 (4 Magier/2 Kämpfer) kann auch nur Zauber mit Zaubergrad 2 sprechen.

Die meisten Spruch Pergamente haben in ihrem Symbol in der Beschreibung oben links den Zaubergrad in Römischen Ziffern vermerkt. Allerdings sind diese entweder nicht immer einwandfrei zu erkennen oder fehlen gänzlich. Andere Zauberklassen wie etwa Erfinder mögen im übrigen den selben Spruch früher oder später benutzen können, weshalb man besonders bei Erfindern erfinderisch sein muss.
Leider sind auch die Beschreibungen nicht immer 100% akurat was bedeutet das man dann doch oft einfach die Materialien eins kleiner oder grösser probieren muss.

In diesem Fall aber dann vielleicht auch ein Bug Report schreiben, damit die entsprechende Beschreibung oder das Symbol angepasst werden kann (das kann entweder im Spiel oder hier im Forum gemacht werden - auch auf deutsch :))

DrawingGuy
02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
As one said before, the SPELL level is indicated by a roman numeral in the upper left corner of the icon. There are a few spells that are missing this, but is a quick indicator for 90% of what you can inscribe.

Now for scroll inscribe chance, your chance of casting hast nothing to do with your inscribe chance. You'll succeed every time assuming you can learn the spell and have the materials for it.

Jingwei
02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Another thing to pay attention to when leveling a wizard for the first time is what scrolls are 'rare'. This means that you can't buy them, they would have to be found as loot. But, whenever you level up, you get your choice of any two spells that you could cast; so it's usual for experience wizards to pick 'rare' spells on level up, and then just buy and scribe the 'common' spells.

The list of rare scrolls can be found here (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List)
And the list of where you can buy arcane scrolls is here (http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls)

----------------------
Example:
A wizard gets to lvl 7, they can pick 2 level 4 spells to learn. Consulting the rare scroll list, we see that dimension door and wall of fire are both rare, so we learn those. Then we go to the house of wizardry store (in house J) to buy up the common level 4 spells and scribe them.

On our next level up, we'd then pick 2 more rare lvl 4 spells to learn.

Mithril_Hand
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Here's a table-like thing to help simplify it (or make it more complicated :p):

If your Wizard is this level -> this is the highest Spell Level you can cast -> a few random example spells of its level
1 -> 1st -> Niac's Cold Ray, Ray of Enfeeblement, Grease
3 -> 2nd -> Melf's Acid Arrow, Web, Repair Moderate Damage
5 -> 3rd -> Fireball, Heroism, Water Breathing
7 -> 4th -> Acid Rain, Bestow Curse, Charm Monster
9 -> 5th -> Cone of Cold, Symbol of Pain, Teleport
11 -> 6th -> Shadow Walk, Cat's Grace Mass, Acid Fog
13 -> 7th -> Finger of Death, Power Word: Blind, Summon Monster VII
15 -> 8th -> Horrid Wilting, Incendiary Cloud, Trap the Soul
17 -> 9th -> Meteor Swarm, Energy Drain, Mordenkainen's Disjunction

If you look at your Repair Moderate Damage scroll, you'll see its caster level is 3. What's the highest Spell Level a lvl 3 wizard can access? The 2nd spell level. All scrolls to my knowledge follow this pattern. EDIT: for spells castable by wizards at least

Not all spells are sold at vendors but a great many are. The Portable Hole is probably the most convenient place to get them. Only accessible via teleport though. Have someone teleport you there (Greater Teleport is required for this), bind to the Spirit Binder then type /death whenever you're in a tavern (to avoid gear damage) and get back to the hole. Alternatively, use teleport scrolls. They're usable at lvl 7 with <10% success but can be used 100% by lvl 9 which is the same lvl you can cast it yourself.

ANOTHER EDIT: you can inscribe spells you cannot cast yet. A lvl 1 wizard could inscribe Meteor Swarm and see it 16 lvls later!

Tertriary
02-22-2012, 04:06 AM
If you dont understand the roman numbers, here is an small lesson (lol)

I = 1
V = 5
X = 10

An smaller number AFTER an bigger number means + (Example, XI = 11, Tho there are no level 11 spells in DDO, its level 1 till level 10 (at level 1 I you get your first spell an level I spell. At level 19 (wiz) or level 20 (sorc) you get your level 10 X spell.))

An smaller number BEFORE an bigger number means - (Example. IV = 4)

There are higher Roman numbers, but they are not used in this game.

The difference between FvS/Cleric and Sorc/Wiz is that the Fvs and Sorc get new spell levels at level 1 and then every even number, starting from level 4. (example: 1,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20 (correct me if im wrong))

Cleric and Wiz get them at level 1 and then every uneven number. (example: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19)

and CASTER LEVEL means the level you essentially are when casting the spell, kinda. Most wands have an caster level that you need to be when you can cast the spell normally. (Example: Niac's Cold Ray is an level I spell, and deals i guess 5 to 10 damage every level (correct me) up to damage of 25 to 50 at level 5, so you have to be atleast level 1. You can see the Caster level in the discription, but also at the name of the wand. (Example: Wand of .... (2nd) means that its an wand that is essentially caster level 2.) But the wand we just got from Durks' Got an Secret is an Wand of Niac's Cold Ray (4th). That means, that you must be level 4 or higher total as the caster level is level 4, and thus you deal 20 to 40 damage. Spell Level is the level of the spell itself. As i said, Niac's Cold Ray is an level I spell. So for that spell, you need an level I Insciption Component. (And because it have an M at the components, means its uses an Material Component, resulting you to use the Pinch of Fine Sand (Level I Spell Component) To cast it, unless you use the Eschew Materials Metamagic Feat.) Is that enough? :)

Garix
02-22-2012, 04:20 AM
As I understand it (correct, please, if I am wrong here), you can inscribe a spell which is higher level than you can cast and your chance to successfully inscribe it is the same as your chance to successfully cast it off the scroll. The bad news is that there is no way, so far as I know, to see what spells of higher level you have inscribed before you are able to actually cast that level spells.

You can scribe any scroll at any level with zero chance of failure

almost all my wizards buy every available scroll (levels 1-7 from portable hole) and inscribe them at level 1.

Makes life a lot easier than trying to remember which ones are not available from the venders.

Jaid314
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM

chance to scribe, in DDO at least, is always 100% provided you can do it at all.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Thank you. ;)

Of course you don't know whrt I know ;) - but Archaeology is one of my hobbies, and that means that I do know the roman numbers at least until 50. ;)

But thanks anyway to all of you for your explanations ! :)

Edit : Where is the Portable Hole, by the way ? In The Twelve ?

SisAmethyst
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Thank you. ;)

Of course you don't know whrt I know ;) - but Archaeology is one of my hobbies, and that means that I do know the roman numbers at least until 50. ;)

But thanks anyway to all of you for your explanations ! :)

Edit : Where is the Portable Hole, by the way ? In The Twelve ?

No the Portable Hole is a pocket dimension (Ein Schwarzes Loch für die Tasche ;)) and to this dimension you can teleport with the Teleport spell. In this place you find a bar and several vendors for scrolls.

icekinslayer
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM

I = 1
V = 5
X = 10

An smaller number AFTER an bigger number means + (Example, XI = 11, Tho there are no level 11 spells in DDO, its level 1 till level 10 (at level 1 I you get your first spell an level I spell. At level 19 (wiz) or level 20 (sorc) you get your level 10 X spell.))

it would be nice to have level 10 spells, but alas, level 9 spells are the highest we can get.
I - level1
II- level2
III-level3
IV-level4
V-level 5
VI-level6
VII-level7
VIII-level8
IX-level9

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
No the Portable Hole is a pocket dimension (Ein Schwarzes Loch für die Tasche ;)) and to this dimension you can teleport with the Teleport spell. In this place you find a bar and several vendors for scrolls.

Ooops ! And I had thought all of the time that this was the name of a Tavern ! :eek: :rolleyes:

Jaid314
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Ooops ! And I had thought all of the time that this was the name of a Tavern ! :eek: :rolleyes:

it is. that tavern just happens to be in a pocket dimension. and has a bunch of small shops in it as well.

Koowluh
02-23-2012, 08:17 AM
You can scribe any scroll at any level with zero chance of failure

almost all my wizards buy every available scroll (levels 1-7 from portable hole) and inscribe them at level 1.

Makes life a lot easier than trying to remember which ones are not available from the venders.

This is what most people do and what I did with my arti as well. Any scroll you write that you don't have the level yet for, will become available once you do. It is one way of ensuring that you'll always pick the unavailable/rarely-on-scrolls-spells when levelling up.

See it as copying over notes that you don't understand yet. Once you reach a certain level of expertise, you'll understand what you have copied.

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I see. I have already done it several times.

I just didn't want to rely entirely on which spells I'd get on levelling up.

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry, but I must reactivate this thread :

Could somebody please give me a list which inscribing material (level ?) enables to inscribe which spell (level ?) ?

Something like this :

Level 1 inscribe material -> level ? scroll

There doesn't exist such a list - at least I cannot find any, neither in the Wiki nor in the Compendium - and seemingly not here either.

I believe that such a list is definitively needed - otherwise buying scrolls is nothing but a gamble for those (like me) who haven't fully understood the mechanics yet (or not at all).

I believe that this is one of the few things the Wiki is really lacking. It contains almost everything regarding scrolls, spells, caster levels and inscribing - but not a direct correlation between scrolls and inscribing materials.

I have here material for inscribing saying it is level 7 (VII). I had thought I had done everything right when I have bought a scroll saying level 7 (as explained here in this thread). But again I have found out that I was wrong again, since the actual scroll didn't show any sign; only its description says "level 7". So I goofed it again. And that, although I had thought that I had remembered everything correctly.

(As background I must say that I have a small form of a weakness called dyscalculia as well. That's why I need so much longer to grasp numeric concepts than others do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia However, I have no problem understanding the mere logical rules behind calculations - my weakness really only affects dealing with numbers / the numbers themselves.)

So I need a list which scrolls (not spells !) correlate to which inscribing materials. This is the only real thing never explained in both Wiki and Compendium.

HungarianRhapsody
03-02-2012, 03:48 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Wizard_spells
has a list of all Wizard spells broken down by spell level.

Level 1 inscription materials are needed to inscribe level 1 spells, level 2 materials for level 2 spells, etc.

Most scrolls from level 1 through level 7 are available at the scroll vendors in the Marketplace, House P, House J, House K (guild vendor) and at the Portable Hole.

No 8th or 9th level scrolls are available at any vendor. You can only get them by looting them from chests, buying off the AH or mooching off friends. Some other spell scrolls are also not available at scroll vendors. They are listed at
http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls#Arcane_scrolls_not_available_from_vendors

Marthesis
03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
So I need a list which scrolls (not spells !) correlate to which inscribing materials. This is the only real thing never explained in both Wiki and Compendium.

I think I understand the problem. The problem was that the scroll says it requires a level 7 wizard, but that just means that it is a level 4 spell, and you need to be a level 7 wizard to use level 4 spells.

For reference:
Level 1 wizard -> Level 1 spell
Level 3 wizard -> Level 2 spell
Level 5 wizard -> Level 3 spell
Level 7 wizard -> Level 4 spell
Level 9 wizard -> Level 5 spell
Level 11 wizard -> Level 6 spell
Level 13 wizard -> Level 7 spell
Level 15 wizard -> Level 8 spell
Level 17 wizard -> Level 9 spell

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Okay, I think I have understood this part.

But what I have not quite understood is this : What can I inscribe with my level 7 inscribing materials ?

Ganolyn
03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Okay, I think I have understood this part.

But what I have not quite understood is this : What can I inscribe with my level 7 inscribing materials ?

Level 7 spells. There is the spell level (1-9) and the user's level (1-20). The user's level is irrelevant when it comes to inscribing the spells. You may inscribe any spell that you have a scroll for and the correct inscription materials (based on the spell's level: 1 for 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3 etc... all the way up to 9). You won't be able to use the spell until your character reaches the appropriate level for the use of that spell, whatever that may be.

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I do know that I won't be able to use that spell for now. My problem is that i just want to get rid of of this slot-filling packet of inscribing materials, therefore I'm looking for a scroll for which I can use it.

And my problem just is that scrolls alone don't say which level they have. They only tell me the required caster's level.

Untitled
03-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I didn't notice anyone else mentioning it, but I believe as of U13 the roman numerals are not shown on Scrolls or Spells.

herzkos
03-02-2012, 06:12 PM
OP, three common level 7 spells to purchase are:
waves of exhaustion (not sure if can purchase actually and too lazy to look it up)
Otto's sphere of dancing, and
finger of death.

Alrik_Fassbauer
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Ah, thanks.

Ganolyn
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I do know that I won't be able to use that spell for now. My problem is that i just want to get rid of of this slot-filling packet of inscribing materials, therefore I'm looking for a scroll for which I can use it.

And my problem just is that scrolls alone don't say which level they have. They only tell me the required caster's level.

Scroll down to the spells section and this will tell you what level the spell is for wizards.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Class:Wizard

For example the level 7 spells for a wizard are:

Banishment
Control Undead
Delayed Blast Fireball
Finger of Death
Greater Teleport
Hold Person, Mass
Invisibility, Mass
Otto's Sphere of Dancing
Power Word: Blind
Prismatic Spray