PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idea: Party Longevity system.

Robert4818
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
This is a rough idea, and there are plenty of details that need to be worked out.

The "lore concept" behind this idea is that the longer people work together, the better they get at working together. They learn their mannerisms, their quirks, and can start to anticipate their companions wants and needs before they are even voiced.

The actual workings of this concept is that teams that stay together longer start to get perks that help represent this teamwork. In essence it helps encourage groups to stay together longer.

As for the nature of these perks, there are some ideas that I think could work without necessarily killing the game.

(some of these have been mentioned before, and some I have disagreed with as a standard feature).

1. The "Trap" or "Secret Door" icon appears over someone's head when the spot check goes off.

2. Arrows point over players whose health drops below 50%.

3. Threat meters show next to party members names.

4. Flashing Icons above heads when a buff is about to wear off, or an Icon above their head when certain abilities are broken/discharged (such as losing protection from energy).

Its possible to throw in some Mechanical aspects as well. But I'd worry about the effect this might have in terms of ease.

There would also need to be some mechanics dealing with party members leaving/joining, and preventing bonuses from popping in by simply waiting.

Krago
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
This is a rough idea, and there are plenty of details that need to be worked out.

The "lore concept" behind this idea is that the longer people work together, the better they get at working together. They learn their mannerisms, their quirks, and can start to anticipate their companions wants and needs before they are even voiced.

The actual workings of this concept is that teams that stay together longer start to get perks that help represent this teamwork. In essence it helps encourage groups to stay together longer.

As for the nature of these perks, there are some ideas that I think could work without necessarily killing the game.

(some of these have been mentioned before, and some I have disagreed with as a standard feature).

1. The "Trap" or "Secret Door" icon appears over someone's head when the spot check goes off.

4. Flashing Icons above heads when a buff is about to wear off, or an Icon above their head when certain abilities are broken/discharged (such as losing protection from energy).

Its possible to throw in some Mechanical aspects as well. But I'd worry about the effect this might have in terms of ease.

There would also need to be some mechanics dealing with party members leaving/joining, and preventing bonuses from popping in by simply waiting.

I think the ideas are sound but I would put the feedback on the Party UI, rather than above the toons heads. This way at a glance, you can see everyones, HP, SP, Ki, buffs etc.

Definately keep the flashing to a minimum. Maybe the buff that is about to wear off has its icon flashing under the players name.

Missing_Minds
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Definately keep the flashing to a minimum. Maybe the buff that is about to wear off has its icon flashing under the players name.

You mean on? There is no space if you look at how the raid bars are. And at that size, I'm not whipping out a magnifying glass to see just what buff is wearing out.

While I like the OPs ideas, the current UI will not support such nicely at all. It would be nice if we could do some minimal player mods to the UI.

I mean heck, they have the system in LOTRO setup to where people have even made very basic first person shooters. Lula? Was that the name of it?

ThePrincipal
02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
so if you run a quest with 5 others, and all the same members stick around to run another quest, you gain some sort of stacking benefits?

i like the idea
... something small but flavorful

how about
- if there's a rogue in the party, all other members get +10 spot
- if there's a pally in the party, all other members get 5% healing amp
- if there's a barb in the party, all other members get DR/1

etc

It's an incentive to at least join and run an entire quest series with the same group

Alrik_Fassbauer
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I like the idea, in general.

Cyiwin
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I like the icons appearing above the heads, it makes sense that your characters might notice more as they work together. I don't want to see buffs cropping up, imo the game has too many as it is.

Robert4818
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I like the icons appearing above the heads, it makes sense that your characters might notice more as they work together. I don't want to see buffs cropping up, imo the game has too many as it is.

I wouldn't mind some sort of "team-up" abilities.

-Being able to cast a delayed AOE on a teammate, and then let them activate it (centered on them) up to 30 seconds later.

-Strong Stun ability that becomes active whenever two+ players are flanking an enemy.

-etc.

I originally wanted buffs, but then I realized what theat meant. It meant quests got easier, meaning difficulty would need to get harder, which made this concept mandatory to meet the new difficulty.

That being said, Non-trivial buffs to non-critical things wouldn't be bad. (For example, everyone uses the highest character's healing/repair skill when resting for determining rest recovery.)

Falco_Easts
02-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice idea.

Blank_Zero
02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
I would love love love the threat gauge.

Crazeee
02-22-2012, 06:22 AM
/not signed

Making these ideas bound to the party would become useless if someone will hop on his healer/tank/whatever. How would this even work with a raid party?

I don't think a party that plays together a lot needs any of this.

1. Make an alias or use (voice) chat. But a party that often plays together should see when the rogue is doing his thing without any flashing icons.

2. Have a eye on the health bars when you're healing.

3. While this is the only point that is not easy to tell I dislike the idea. It would make the game to "mechanical". Again, a party that plays together a lot should not need this because the party knows the tank.

4. There is already a full animation around the character when buffs end.

Robert4818
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
/not signed

Making these ideas bound to the party would become useless if someone will hop on his healer/tank/whatever. How would this even work with a raid party?

I don't think a party that plays together a lot needs any of this.

1. Make an alias or use (voice) chat. But a party that often plays together should see when the rogue is doing his thing without any flashing icons.

2. Have a eye on the health bars when you're healing.

3. While this is the only point that is not easy to tell I dislike the idea. It would make the game to "mechanical". Again, a party that plays together a lot should not need this because the party knows the tank.

4. There is already a full animation around the character when buffs end.

Think of it more like this:
At the start of every new quest that the party has gone through without a change of members, they choose 1 from a list of options.

Its not really a group that "plays together alot", so much as benefits for a group that doesn't break apart really quickly.

For example, out of the numerous options given so far, a group that got together to run the red fens would:

Run Claw of Vulkoor, no bonuses
Run Last Stand, Chooses Hate Gauge. (1 option total)
Run Fathom the Deep, Chooses Health marker (2 Options total)
Run Into the Deep, Chooses Buff Marker. (3 options Total)

And a raid group? Well, a Raid Group, unless running multiple raids in a row, wouldn't see this at all.