PDA

View Full Version : How much will forgotten realms retail for?

knightgf
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Alright, its bad enough that VIP's will have to pay for it(Some explaination would be nice, marketing!), but if I were to guess, I will say Turbine will take it one step futher and give us sticker shock with this epic new pack:

$599 U.S. dollars.

grayham
02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Seriously? I thought this discussion was done. Sigh. I don't think you're going to generate a sensible discussion by challenging a marketing department to explain it's financing decisions (name me a private organisation that does!) and $600? Perhaps I fell for the troll bait.

I'm no economist, but I do know that....

1.Turbine has made a lot of money through it's F2P model.
2.They have invested that money by increasing the Dev team 50%
3.If they continue to generate new content and make more money, they will return to something like point 2

And points 2+3 will cycle over and over.

I am VIP. I will happily pay a reasonable (sub £40) price for the new pack. I have no sense of entitlement, VIP just means access to all existing content and Shared bank etc. Nothing more.

Tomalon
02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Iirc when they did a similar thing on LoTR it was like 3500 Turbine points.

Please correct me if im wrong, just going off what i heard.

knightgf
02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Iirc when they did a similar thing on LoTR it was like 3500 Turbine points.

Please correct me if im wrong, just going off what i heard.

That is correct. And sadly, that also is viewed as a bad move by Turbine from me.

Yes, I realize that VIP, with their points given to them each money, can get the pack for 'free'. However, when you think about what VIP is supposed to get (Access to a large variety of content, such as packs, more races, exc.), as well as considering that VIP's are typically encourged to spend their points on consumables, it does tend to dissapoint people.

Would I be upset if the content VIP did not have access to(Forgotten realms, races, exc.) was accessible by favor only? I might be annoyed at best, but I wouldn't be disappointed like I am now. But sadly, the DDOstore says otherwise...

But anyways, back on track, a potental $35 for forgotten realms huh? That's definately not a sticker shocker compared to $599, but it is VERY expensive for a adventure pack; moreso than gianthold AND the cannith challenges combined. At that rate, im not sure if I want to hold my breath and hope I can afford it.

Beethoven
02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
You go by Turbine's pricing for LotR, it'd be reasonable to expect:

* USD 29.99 got you access to the Rise of Isengard Expansion, a specific Rohirrim Style Mount (LotR). DDO closest would be: Forgotten Realms expansion plus a specific type of Cosmetic Pet.

* USD 39.99 got you access to the Rise of Isengard Expansion, your choice of one Rohirrim Style Mount, set of cosmetic armor and 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store. DDO's equivalent would be access to the Forgotten Realms Expansion, your choice of Cosmetic pet, set of cosmetic armor and 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the DDO Store.

* USD 59.99 got you access to the Rise of Isengard Expansion, all (three) Rohirrim Style Mounts, all three sets of matching cosmetic Rohirrim Style armor, access to the Paths and 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store. DDO's equivalent would access to the Forgotten Realms Expansion, all Cosmetic Pets, all (new) cosmetic armors, Druid Class (instead of Paths) and 1,000 Turbine Points.

There may be (other) differences to the above depending on how exactly they rework Enhancements, how they implement Druid and if the expansion will include some other stuff we do not have all the information yet but it is likely the pricing and what you get for it will be somewhere along the line of what they did in LotR.

I am not even sure where USD 599.99 (ten times what LotR costs) comes from since DDO subscriptions (ViP) are similarly priced as LotR subscriptions and Turbine Points cost exactly the same for both games.

Cyr
02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
* USD 59.99 got you access to the Rise of Isengard Expansion, all (three) Rohirrim Style Mounts, all three sets of matching cosmetic Rohirrim Style armor, access to the Paths and 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store. DDO's equivalent would access to the Forgotten Realms Expansion, all Cosmetic Pets, all (new) cosmetic armors, Druid Class (instead of Paths) and 1,000 Turbine Points.

I do not really agree with your comparison here. The LOTRO 'paths' are basically adventure packs which came out before the expansion. I do not think they will have two pre-order price points to purchase only part of the new expansion. Instead I think it would follow a similar method to LOTRO which would be to have the highest price point also purchase a decent number of older adventure packs and all the price points purchase all the new expansion including druid.

Of course this does not apply to the DDO store where everything is ala cart.

Impaqt
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
sheesh....

Most MMO's have expansion packs they require folks to Purchase.

6+ years of DDO without a Paid expansion. Thats awesome and sad at the same time.
We pay less and get more than any other Mainstream MMO on the market. $9.99 a month less our "Free" Turbine points is a bargain for the ViP Status. If you dont like the few benefits we do get, you are more than welcome to go F2P and just pay for what you want.

I'll pay the $30 happily for for expansion.

Tomalon
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I really hope that Druids are part of the Expansion cost and not ala-cart

redspecter23
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Turbine hopefully puts a lot of thought into the pricing of this new expansion. If it's priced too high, the raid zone may become a ghost town as the number of players that have access could be very low to start with. Some great current raids with low price points have trouble filling on good days. The new raid would have to really have some great loot and reasonable challenge to get enough players to buy the expansion that those that do buy it can actually form groups for it.

Look at the challenge pack currently. Priced far too high for most people's liking. The ones that run it are generally VIP's or premium/f2p using tokens. Not horrible since the best way to run many challenges for ingredients is in solo or 2 man parties. If you were pretty much required to run challenges with 12 people for some reason, it just plain wouldn't be run at all.

Uska
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I am guessing around 30 bucks much more and I'll pass since I hate the better they were forgotten realms anyways and druids are worth much more than that to me.

Thrudh
02-21-2012, 01:09 PM
That's definately not a sticker shocker compared to $599

Of course not, you made up that absolutely stupid number yourself. Seriously stupid. Amazingly stupid. Not understanding the level of insanity to come up with $599 for a video game expansion I guess is my point here.

:)

Thrudh
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
VERY expensive for a adventure pack; moreso than gianthold AND the cannith challenges combined. At that rate, im not sure if I want to hold my breath and hope I can afford it.

It's a bit more than an adventure pack. They're adding a new class (druid) and epic levels (21-25) with epic feats and epic spells for all classes.

Oh, and finishing all PrEs.

redspecter23
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
It's a bit more than an adventure pack. They're adding a new class (druid) and epic levels (21-25) with epic feats and epic spells for all classes.

My question is, how much of that is from the expansion and how much will just be included in the update? In the past, new PRE's were just added in for all players. You never had to pay for them at all. The ability to level up from 10 to 12 or from 16 to 20 has not had a price attached to it since f2p was first introduced and the level tokens were dropped fairly quickly. I'd expect that the expansion price will cover your content and druid class, but forcing people to buy the expansion in order to use enhancements in general (since I hear they're all getting wiped) would be a huge mistake. It will likely just be included in the update that everyone gets for free. If leveling from 21 - 25 can be done on any epic quest, then I'd expect that ability will be included for free as well, but I could be wrong on that. Paying for the ability to level up your toon seems a bit sketchy.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what do we really get when we buy the expansion? If it's just the new explorer areas + quests and raid as well as the druid class, then I'd expect it to cost about the same as Gianthold + Favored Soul class as that's basically what you get. Time will tell I suppose. If they price it based on the new challenge pack, then I expect very few players will pay $40+ for an adventure pack and a class.

Cyr
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Epic spells for all classes? That would be news to me. Heck even epic feats would be news to me. They have been pretty vague about what epic levels are going to entail, but I am guessing that most classes in the game will not have access to any epic spells :)

Impaqt
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Epic spells for all classes? That would be news to me. Heck even epic feats would be news to me. They have been pretty vague about what epic levels are going to entail, but I am guessing that most classes in the game will not have access to any epic spells :)

5 levels of no spell or feat progression? why bother then?

I'm sure we wont get large amount of new spells, but I would assume there will be some.

redspecter23
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
5 levels of no spell or feat progression? why bother then?

I'm sure we wont get large amount of new spells, but I would assume there will be some.

If not new spells, then at least new feats. 5 levels of just extra hp/sp would be so boring and hardly worth it. I'm hoping a lot of thought is going into what to cram into those 5 levels so that all classes really have a lot of choices about how to advance their characters. If it's basically just improved power attack and superior 2 weapon fighting, then we don't really have any choices as a melee. We just take the dps feats and move on.

count_spicoli
02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd gladly pay $30 especially if they are adding newgraphics like I hear they are. Shoot that's barely one night at the movies

Meat-Head
02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Someone is dumb here.

Either the responders are dumb for thinking the "$599" was anything other than intentional exaggeration, or the OP is dumb for thinking that $599 is what's gonna happen.

OR, I'm dumb for not realizing that NO ONE took that number seriously. Either way, SOMEONE is dumb in this thread.

Also, "all of the above" is definitely possible.

Auran82
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Trolls are best fought with fire.

Teraz
02-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I just want to know why they started with eberron in the first place...it should have been forgotten realms, then dragonlance, dark sun, greyhawk, then every other setting...and lastly, eberron.

Quarterling
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
sheesh....

Most MMO's have expansion packs they require folks to Purchase.

6+ years of DDO without a Paid expansion. Thats awesome and sad at the same time.
We pay less and get more than any other Mainstream MMO on the market. $9.99 a month less our "Free" Turbine points is a bargain for the ViP Status. If you dont like the few benefits we do get, you are more than welcome to go F2P and just pay for what you want.

I'll pay the $30 happily for for expansion.

This. I'd even be willing to pay up to $60. Though perhaps I should shut up, as a staff of Turbine might see my post and get the idea to sell it at a higher price than they normally would...

Thlargir
02-22-2012, 10:59 PM
This. I'd even be willing to pay up to $XX. Though perhaps I should shut up, as a staff of Turbine might see my post and get the idea to sell it at a higher price than they normally would...

Price blanked to protect the (not-so) innocent.

Any ideas on whether this will be a cash only purchase or available via TP?

psi0nix
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
I will be watching the price on this aswell, as a monthly sub user, I feel a little "hard done by" that I would have to pay for this aswell, as there is quite a bit in the game that you still don't get by being a monthly subber, I'm currently looking at how much it would be just to purchase the packs and leave it at that, as then I would be able to play them all anytime without a monthly cost.

It's looking like that is the way to go instead of subbing.

If the new packs are more than about $30 then I am pretty sure i'll give em a miss.

Oolung
02-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I just want to know why they started with eberron in the first place...it should have been forgotten realms, then dragonlance, dark sun, greyhawk, then every other setting...and lastly, eberron.

I'd guess that's because at the time DDO was began, Eberron was The Wizards of the Coast's newest setting, so they gave Turbine the rights to make a DnD based game as long as they used Eberron as the setting, in order to help popularize it.

Tomalon
02-23-2012, 05:34 AM
I'd guess that's because at the time DDO was began, Eberron was The Wizards of the Coast's newest setting, so they gave Turbine the rights to make a DnD based game as long as they used Eberron as the setting, in order to help popularize it.

^^^this and i also think that with it being a whole new setting Turbine had more creavtive control.

Everyone knows what FR, Greyhawk......should look and play like and the critics would have torn every little aspect of the game apart.

Starting in Eberron gave Turbine some leeway and control and avoided some issues they may have faced with other relms. Now that they have proven themselves:rolleyes: they can take on the challange of a relm that everyone knows. IMO anyways.

Syllph
02-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Alright, its bad enough that VIP's will have to pay for it(Some explaination would be nice, marketing!)

The only difference between vip and premium is how you pay your money to them.

VIP is monthly with no down payment. think of it like renting ddo. It's a great model if you're testing the game not sure if you want to throw down 300$ to buy every upgrade/adventure pack

Premium is paid in full on delivery. Bought up front. A Great model when you're in this for the long run. When you know what pack you want and which upgrade you'll want.

If you don't like what VIP is giving you stop renting and buy. You're only wasting money if you like the game.

I don't see why the whole VIP thing has gotten so lost. It's two different income models choose the one that fits your play style.

Uska
02-23-2012, 08:23 AM

I pretty much hate your whole list except for GH and if it had been FR I wouldnt have even tried it. Eberron tops them all its unique at least and for me a interesting setting I just wish they would actually utilize it here.