PDA

View Full Version : Craftable Quivers!

Ninety
02-19-2012, 03:57 PM
please let us have.

Memnir
02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Why?
I'm not against the idea - I just have no clue why you want em.

Ninety
02-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Why?

it's an equipment slot.

just an extra bonus for an almost completely useless slot

Arkat
02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Why?

I blame the Abbot.

djsonar919
02-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Seems like a good idea. I mean this kid has crafted a Quiver of True Sight
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_35W7_NQFwJA/TYlJgGToNCI/AAAAAAAABXk/Kb2UGYjQfHE/zoo%203%5B4%5D.jpg

Memnir
02-19-2012, 04:30 PM
it's an equipment slot.

just an extra bonus for an almost completely useless slot
I'm cool with that.

/signed

CheeseMilk
02-19-2012, 05:38 PM
/signed!

Striding 20 of Balance/Jump would be awfully handy, and not in any way game-breaking.

EDIT: I'd like to add that what can be added should be VERY limited; striding, skill, ranged alacrity (but not melee),that kind of thing, and not just any quiver could be made into a blank... they could drop like craftable trinkets, or be bought from the House Deneith favor vendor. They could have "Craftable" +1 to +5, based on how many arrows they hold, and they couldn't be increased with shards, just like rune arms.

Brennie
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
You can already craft every single effect found on randomrolled quivers, what more do you want D:?!

In all serious though, I am initially against this idea. Minus the Quiver of Alacrity, no quivers currently give any static benefit to their wearers, and i find it rather silly imagining every monk, wizard and paladin in the game carrying a quiver just for the "buffs".

There are only two ways i could get behind this. One is if randomrolled quivers are added to the loot tables. This would give the fodder for quiver "blanks", and allow access to "Quiver slot" enhancements for those people who are not crafters and don't have the same kind of high-level-crafter access (typically newer players).

However, there is one big problem i see with this - Either House-D sized quivers need to be added to the loot table (Thus making the actual house D quivers useless), or Ranged characters will have to decide between quiver size and quiver effects utility (Do i want 3 different stacks of 1000 metal arrows, or do i want Seeker +6 and greater false life witha max of 250 arrows per type...). I absolutely cannot endorse quiver-crafting if it will actually benefit ranged characters the *least*. This version would also allow much more power creep, since even innocuous buffs (Striding/skills/feather falling/Underwater action/resistance/false life/Wizardry, etc) would open up other slots for much more powerful items.

The second way i could get behind this is if quivers were NOT added to the loot tables, but the generic or house D quivers could be used as blanks... and the only enhancements that could be crafted onto were low-grade Ranged bonuses.

Enhancements such as:

Ranged Alacrity - Obviously. And this I'm a little worried might be too overpowering, seeing as it would potentially free up another slot. I wouldnt' even include it, if the Abbot quiver didn't essentially replicate this effect in this same slot. Maybe a lower % would make it acceptible.

Endless Arrows/Bolts - Quiver creates an endless stack of generic bolts/arrows. This shouldn't step on the toes of AAs or Artificers, since this ammo has no + value, or special effects, and therefor would be inferior to artificer Conjure bolts/Flame arrows spells or the AA Conjured +5 arrows.

Weak Imbue - Similar to Arcane Archer imbues, but significantly less powerful. This would either act as a clicky (Adds 1d6 elemental/alignment damage to ranged attacks for 30-60 seconds, 3x per rest) OR be a proc chance (5% chance of 1d6 bonus elemental/alignment damage per ranged attack)

Extradimensional Space - Quiver gains extra ammo slots. Seeing as how there are only 4 generic quivers in the game, this would probably just replace the old quiver with a different version... Thin House D quiver could hold 3 slots of 1300 arrows, or 4 slots of 1000 for example.

Enhanced Ammo - Equipped Bolts/Arrows are considered to be +1 enhancement bonus higher. The only reason i consider this a "minor" enhancement is that ammo is usually lower + value than the bows/crossbows that use them, so this would only be +1 for *some* bow/ammo combinations.

I'm sorry that I am not more receptive to this idea, as i would absolutely love a second trinket slot on my characters, except that i feel it would add more power creep, and put this power creep entirely in the hands of high level crafters, while firmly excluding newer players, casual crafters, and people who have no interest in crafting.

Terebinthia
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
/signed, because the Abbot makes me cry.

Ravoc-DDO
02-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Seems like a good idea. I mean this kid has crafted a Quiver of True Sight
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_35W7_NQFwJA/TYlJgGToNCI/AAAAAAAABXk/Kb2UGYjQfHE/zoo%203%5B4%5D.jpg

Looks more like a Quiver of Blinded Eyesight if you ask me... ;)

djsonar919
02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Looks more like a Quiver of Blinded Eyesight if you ask me... ;)

Yeah... I wonder what would happen if you looked through the Epic Spyglass directly at the Sun?

Arkat
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Yeah... I wonder what would happen if you looked through the Epic Spyglass directly at the Sun?

You would see it's really made up of hot melted cheese.

CheeseMilk
02-20-2012, 09:29 AM

This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMns4c-0sq0)

ssgcmwatson
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm with Brennie - craftable quivers only if the benefits are restricted to bow/xbow attacks.

LrdSlvrhnd
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
and i find it rather silly imagining every monk, wizard and paladin in the game carrying a quiver just for the "buffs".

My monk carries a quiver. So does my wizard. So does my tempest ranger who uses a dwarven thrower the few times he needs to ranged (although I *just* crafted an L16 Elemental Longbow of Earth for him, which I'm planning on adding Screaming and PG on... or maybe Holy... need to figure out the levels. But I digress...). So does my primarily-melee bard (although now she carries it for when she switches to ranged 'cause Harry scares her). So does my barbarian, who likewise has a dwarven thrower for when he simply HAS to put away the greataxe. So would my cleric, paladin, and FvS, if I had one of any of 'em.

They carry them just for the "picking up random ammo and keeping it out of the inventory." Add-ons would simply be an added value.

Now, I wouldn't mind if the craftable bits were limited to enhancing ranged attacks, but I don't think you'd see a sudden increase of monks carrying quivers just for another place to put, say, Striding of Balance. Because every character should ALREADY have a quiver equipped simply for inventory management...

Brennie
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
My monk carries a quiver. So does my wizard. So does my tempest ranger who uses a dwarven thrower the few times he needs to ranged (although I *just* crafted an L16 Elemental Longbow of Earth for him, which I'm planning on adding Screaming and PG on... or maybe Holy... need to figure out the levels. But I digress...). So does my primarily-melee bard (although now she carries it for when she switches to ranged 'cause Harry scares her). So does my barbarian, who likewise has a dwarven thrower for when he simply HAS to put away the greataxe. So would my cleric, paladin, and FvS, if I had one of any of 'em.

That's true... Most characters have quivers now, in the same way they have Gem Bags. I was just having visions of quivers hitting the loot tables, and having a group member put one up for roll, only to have an Arcane Archer rolling against a Wizard and Paladin to see who gets it... (I have similar fears with the Quiver of Alacrity, since it can be upgraded to an effectively free Striding item. Fortunately, I haven't gotten aroudn to Abbot on my ranged characters yet, so...)

Now, I wouldn't mind if the craftable bits were limited to enhancing ranged attacks, but I don't think you'd see a sudden increase of monks carrying quivers just for another place to put, say, Striding of Balance. Because every character should ALREADY have a quiver equipped simply for inventory management...

I think you are severely underestimating the value of slot consolidation/management. I think *EVERY* non-ranged character in the game would want Striding on their quiver, if they could get it there with relative ease. This would free up a boot or ring slot for most people, allowing them to slot a myriad of new/useful effects, or change their raid-gear layout altogether.

The power of the quiver enhancements is mostly irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether it would allow players to move their gear around and effectively gain a whole new gearslot. With Striding, i think the answer is yes (Since it is mostly a utility feature, but one considered "necessary" by most of the playerbase). Other utility effects wouldn't be "overpowering" as a quiver, but they certainly free up *other* slots where overpowering might creep in.

danotmano1998
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
/signed

Unless they allow me to pierce my nipples to slot those extra rings.
Or a belly button ring would work too, but please limit these to female characters.

.. and I just won't discuss the other piercing options. :eek:

countfitz
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Signed as long as the only "real" bonus is ranged alacrity or other ranged abilities. Otherwise, I'd like to see the other crafting just make the quivers better, you know, quivers. Like quivers that hold more arrows. So we don't have to carry more quivers in our backpacks. That's just silly.

macubrae
02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
But in all honesty, I just want a quiver that holds a massive amount of ONE arrow type. When I do pull out a bow, I just point and shoot.

My ranger has a quiver that holds 4x1500 arrows/bolts and I would trade it for a quiver that held 1x5000 or 1x6000 in a heartbeat. Besides most pewpew classes create their own ammo, don't they?