PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking and aggro

bloodnose13
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
lets assume you sneak and you get noticed by enemy, hideing and turning on sneak again does not work, even breaking line of sight first does not help, enemies know exactly where you are no matter what you do, so here is my little sugestion:

rehideing in safe spot away from sight of enemy should break aggro, and make enemy to go into search mode, where they look for you but not know exactly where you are. or change aggro to other target if any.

Gizeh
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes, this can be very annoying. Once a mob someone is somewhere thy start searching, and they follow you unerringly - and they never stop until they found you. It would be awesome if they stopped looking for you after a certain time has passed without them receiving a new trigger.

Also, using a switch or lever or opening a door shouldn't automatically end stealth mode, but give mobs a new spot/listen check instead, maybe with a bonus.

Quarterling
02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I like the OP's idea. It's unrealistic that the enemies for the most part "somehow" know exactly where you are going.

The only time you actually break their aggro is if you go such a ridiculously far distance from said enemy.

Also, using a switch or lever or opening a door shouldn't automatically end stealth mode, but give mobs a new spot/listen check instead, maybe with a bonus.

Maybe, I like the concept but others might complain that it's being too generous.

TheDearLeader
02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'm also not a fan of this. The uncanny, superhuman senses exhibited by a mob after it's located you is ridiculous.
It's a double standard, actually. I've seen Scorpions/Wolves in the Challenges that will kill a kobold right in front of me, only to disappear from my sight. (Via stealth, not burrowing) Very frustrating.

Worse, I think, is how easily stealth is broken. Even if you get Blur/Displaced/Concealed/Incorporeal/Miss/etc., as long as that mob had to make a physics check against you, your stealth is broken. Very silly.

I also have noticed that I can be sneaking in a party. I let the "Tank" get sight aggro of all mobs in a room. I then go into the room to start my work, in sneak mode. If a stray arrow "breaks" my sneak mode, all mobs who were originally sight-aggroed to the tank then instantly transfer to me. The tank is fighting a single target, and I suddenly have the rest of the room to deal with.

voodoogroves
02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I also have noticed that I can be sneaking in a party. I let the "Tank" get sight aggro of all mobs in a room. I then go into the room to start my work, in sneak mode. If a stray arrow "breaks" my sneak mode, all mobs who were originally sight-aggroed to the tank then instantly transfer to me. The tank is fighting a single target, and I suddenly have the rest of the room to deal with.

Epic mobs should have precise shot, dangit.

I'd love better stealth options - really under-explored area of the game.

I also want the Shadowdancer PRE, but I'm crazy.

Hikup
02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Hirelings don't work, mobs stand in aoe if they can't reach you and stare into space... something tells me the AI is on the low end in DDO

Sarisa
02-19-2012, 02:31 PM
You need to be able to "ditch" them by smart stealth. I would not object to the mob getting a bonus to their listen/spot scores after you get them to lose aggro, in order to still make it better to avoid being seen in the first place.

TheDearLeader
02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
You need to be able to "ditch" them by smart stealth. I would not object to the mob getting a bonus to their listen/spot scores after you get them to lose aggro, in order to still make it better to avoid being seen in the first place.

I'd even be satisfied with a Bluff -> Sneak kind of action that actually worked for more than four seconds for single mobs.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
This is something I wish they would change. :(

This is a fantasy game. We need to be able to do just what our heroes in the movies do.

Run around a corner, and hide in a basket, and watch the mobs run right on by. :D

If you break line of sight, they should not still know where you are, or have this current batlike sonar they use now!

However....
depending on how the monster became aware of your existance. (and depending on some random varible like the alignment of the stars. :mad: )
you "may" get some use out of going back into sneak mode. Or casting Invisibility.

They may just go after someone else.
They may go back into their attack-the-air-sonar mode to try to find you.
They may lose track of you, if you are invised and get some distance from them. (although if you do not get anough distance they may re-agro on you when you come back near to them.)(or this just may depend on the mood of the gods....not sure.)

If you can read between my sarcasm, you may discover that monsters seem very buggy with how they react to stealth....especially going back into sneak mode, or going invis.

This is annoying, but at least I can reduce their attacks on me sometimes...and still pull off some stealth tricks, even after I have been discovered.

DavionFuxa
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree that sneaking/invisibility should have a little bit more going for it; though at the same time I wouldn't want it to get broken.

As an Idea, I wouldn't mind if Sneak had some sort of cooldown, where if you take any sort of hostile action you can't go back immediately into Sneak Mode. Additionally, in order to stack a bit of the odds against is I think you should make a Hide/Move Silently check as needed so that Mobs lose track of you.

As for other ideas - them switching targets, not going visible when you open doors, etc; that there is some merit but I think it is also good as it now. I think that if you poke an enemy enough they shouldn't necessarily give up if they know your there but can't see you; else your just going to poke them again when they do something else. Additionally, if you open a door it should give monsters some indiciation someone opened it.

bloodnose13
02-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Additionally, in order to stack a bit of the odds against is I think you should make a Hide/Move Silently check as needed so that Mobs lose track of you.

thats actualy not a bad idea, so when you hide behind object that covers you from direct sight and go back to sneak mode it would trigger a enemy spot/listen checks (one of maybe more), that if unsuccessful (meaning that enemy cant either spot you or hear you) make enemy go back to his post.

InsanityIsYourFriend
02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
i agree, its not fair that an assasin rogue when soloing gets a total of ONE active assasinate per group unless they run an insanely far distance, + who doesnt want to see the barb watch the rogue do this and say I CAN DO THAT! tries to do it and dies a funny death

Crazeee
02-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Yes, a nice idea. Took me a while to adjust to DDO's strange sneaking system. You can get a bunch of sneaking ideas from some of the stealth single-player games :)