PDA

View Full Version : Ship buffs - a better way?

My2Cents
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
IF we assume ship buffs are valuable and merit retaining, I really think there should be some better way to implement them to avoid the delay/confusion/work that occurs just to form a group for a quest.

Perhaps make ship buffs accessible at quest/raid entrances? If that's not feasible maybe prolong their duration in some effective way.

rayworks
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
IF we assume ship buffs are valuable and merit retaining, I really think there should be some better way to implement them to avoid the delay/confusion/work that occurs just to form a group for a quest.

Perhaps make ship buffs accessible at quest/raid entrances? If that's not feasible maybe prolong their duration in some effective way.

Having the timer on them stop in public areas would be the easiest fix.

ferrite
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Here is my idea:

Talk to the first mate. He will give you every buff currently available on the ship. Since he serves no real purpose anyway, why not give him a purpose? One NPC, one chat. Quick and simple. No need to waste time running around the ship anymore.

Now here's the caveat. It only works if you are an actual member of that guild. Guests must still run around and buff the old fashioned way.

Feel free to berate, compliment and/or improve upon the idea.

Psiandron
02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I really don't mind the way ship buffs are currently, with the exception that I don't think that they should run in public areas. Not having the clock ticking on them until you enter a quest or wilderness area would be a huge improvement, which would greatly enhance the flow of group-play.

Oolung
02-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Here is my idea:

Talk to the first mate. He will give you every buff currently available on the ship. Since he serves no real purpose anyway, why not give him a purpose? One NPC, one chat. Quick and simple. No need to waste time running around the ship anymore.

Now here's the caveat. It only works if you are an actual member of that guild. Guests must still run around and buff the old fashioned way.

Feel free to berate, compliment and/or improve upon the idea.

Actually the First mate is the one that allows you to place stuff on the ship, but only has any real dialogue if you are an officer (or leader) of the guild that owns the ship.

I personally agree with the pausing in public areas suggestion.

eulogy098
02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Having the timer on them stop in public areas would be the easiest fix.

Q F T

-

Though to be honest i kinda wish that ship buffs never came out. Now I (and everyone else) always feel obligated to have an absurd assortment of little squares across the top of the screen all the time. I hate it.

Power is always relative. If noone had them, noone would miss them. but since we can have them, we must have them.

KillEveryone
02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Run around the ship getting what you want or talk to the first mate. I don't care which.

Go into the quest...
If you die - buffs go away but upon exit of the quest, the ones you had when you entered get re-applied.

or

Just get rid of the timer.

Krago
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
And so how does this work for lets say Crystal Cove and Mabar? Where you run around the island and graveyard killling mobs? Perma buffed? No, timers need to run regardless of location.

Best solution: Leave the system as is. It takes all of 60 seconds to gain all the buffs.

Habreno
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Actually the First mate is the one that allows you to place stuff on the ship, but only has any real dialogue if you are an officer (or leader) of the guild that owns the ship.

Not 100% true. I'm not an officer of the guild I'm in, but I know I can change the ship around or refresh the buffs on it through him.

I personally agree with the pausing in public areas suggestion.

Yes, pause in public.

psi0nix
02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
I'd just like to see a one NPC interaction to get all the buffs, I've been skipping them lately becaue after a while it gets a bit much waiting longer than the quest takes to run to get buffs. And of course just when you think it's time to get in there, someone says "my buffs about to run out, i'll re-buff brb", and theres another few minutes just waiting.

What I'd like to see in a guild ship would be "rooms" for each player, virtual of course not actually there, kind of like your bank account, where you could store items etc.

grodon9999
02-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Ship buffs should last until death.

Logic
02-21-2012, 12:06 AM
I agree they need to do something. Ship buffs did a huge amount of damage to this game due to the easymode of low level quests and the waiting and waiting and waiting that takes place as everybody gets ship buffs.

Ship buffs are the worst thing that ever happened to DDO IMO

EnjoyTheJourney
02-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Two changes can be made at once.

1. Do away with the timer - they last until logged out.
2. Scale the amount of benefit they provide to the level of the mission, to avoid trivializing earlier content

By packaging the changes together, it doesn't feel like a pure nerf, less time is spent waiting around for teammates to buff up, and lower level content will provide at least a little bit more challenge.

Uska
02-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Ship buffs should last until death.

This or at the very least timer stops in public areas the rest of the ideas meh.

grodon9999
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Two changes can be made at once.

1. Do away with the timer - they last until logged out.
2. Scale the amount of benefit they provide to the level of the mission, to avoid trivializing earlier content

By packaging the changes together, it doesn't feel like a pure nerf, less time is spent waiting around for teammates to buff up, and lower level content will provide at least a little bit more challenge.

Forgot about that . . . yes, the resists should scale to your level. level 30 resists in harbor quests is silly. I mean it's not the end of the world as what happens in the first 2-4 hours of a toon's life isn't that big of a deal but I don't think we were meant to have 30 acide resist in "Proof is in the Poison"

Refreshing buffs is just an un-needed time-sink, they should last until log-off or death.

voodoogroves
02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Forgot about that . . . yes, the resists should scale to your level. level 30 resists in harbor quests is silly. I mean it's not the end of the world as what happens in the first 2-4 hours of a toon's life isn't that big of a deal but I don't think we were meant to have 30 acide resist in "Proof is in the Poison"

Refreshing buffs is just an un-needed time-sink, they should last until log-off or death.

I'd like favor-cast spells to do the same.

herzkos
02-21-2012, 09:23 AM
i feel that ship buffs are so valuable that they don't merit retaining :)
except for the xp shrine and even that can go with the new tome of learning that is supposed
to come out and last through trs.

Thaminor
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I really don't mind the way ship buffs are currently, with the exception that I don't think that they should run in public areas. Not having the clock ticking on them until you enter a quest or wilderness area would be a huge improvement, which would greatly enhance the flow of group-play.

Ugh. Please. If this was implemented, then people could buff, wait around, and then hop in a quest as soon as they join. This would remove all excuse from the last person to join saying "Oh, one sec, getting buffs"
"Share plz"

No.

shores11
02-26-2012, 12:43 PM

/not signed

I knew this request would be coming some day. Wow, players just get lazier and lazier.

We should add the following for players as well since they can not be bothered to do these things for themselves.

> I don't want to be bothered to have to get a quest myself can we add share questing to game. Oh, already done - oooops.
> I can't put in the effort and work to build up my own guild and add amentites so can you please put in a system that will allow me to leach off of another guild. Oh, already done - oooops.
> I hate having to be bothered with questing and experience so can you please add the ability to not have my character start at level 1. Oh, already done - oooops.
>>>> Wait breaking news we at Turbine goofed why bother starting at level 4 lets move it to level 7 now. Coming soon buy a level 20 character with appropriate gear for DDO points from the DDO store.
> I don't want to have to go to taverns or inns to rebuild my HP/SP can we please change this. Oh, already done - oooops.
> Why on earth do the mean people at TUrbine make us go to various houses and our guild ships to get our buffs. Please change this.... Note to players wait and see in a future update.
> Why do I have to step into a quest and complete it to get my XP and loot that is ridiculous. Please change this.... Note to players wait and see the ability to click on the adventure quest entrance screen to complete and get end reward.

Any other lazy or I can't be bothered to play ideas out there?