PDA

View Full Version : wisdom for will saves

darthbbd
02-14-2012, 01:39 AM
My fighter is level 3 in the harboir right now. I am constantly get hit with hold person or fear from the kobold shamans and/or the witch doctors and lot of times I die from this (stand there frozen and get beat to death). I am wandering is this pretty much the only area that I really need a will save and I should just pop some potions for these few quests or should I invest in Wisdom to raise my will save because it will still be needed later on. I am unlocking the 32 pt build next week so remaking the character with more wisdom is no big deal at all, I'm just wandering if it's worth it or should I just use those extra stats for another ability instead like Strength maybe.

morticianjohn
02-14-2012, 02:05 AM
For a first life 28 point melee toon there isn't enough points to think about putting points into wisdom. Will save is nice just not worth it in this scenario.

Zipwire
02-14-2012, 02:11 AM
You will encounter those spell effects in higher quest levels. Will want to get the highest Wisdom item you can find at level, there are also items that give bonus at low levels, Glik's Bangle is a trinket with +2 will saves. Wisdom will also increase your spot, which is nice.

As a Fighter, Strength and Constitution are the most important stats. Would not hurt to put points into Wisdom if you have them to spare. Many min/max fighter builds dump everything but Strength and Constitution but if you can't fight you aren't much good.

If it makes your build have more survivability it is a good thing.

Since you are so close to unlocking 32pt build I would definitely reroll for the extra build points because only at level 3. It is worth it.

Good luck!

Jsbeer
02-14-2012, 02:11 AM
My fighter is level 3 in the harboir right now. I am constantly get hit with hold person or fear from the kobold shamans and/or the witch doctors and lot of times I die from this (stand there frozen and get beat to death). I am wandering is this pretty much the only area that I really need a will save and I should just pop some potions for these few quests or should I invest in Wisdom to raise my will save because it will still be needed later on. I am unlocking the 32 pt build next week so remaking the character with more wisdom is no big deal at all, I'm just wandering if it's worth it or should I just use those extra stats for another ability instead like Strength maybe.

The early levels are in many ways the toughest for characters with low Will Saves (such as fighters) since later on you will be usually playing in group and Clerics, Bard, Cleric, Ranger who have a spell called Freedom of Movement that prevents all these effects. So once you start grouping up with 7th level or higher parties, the low will save becomes less of an issue. Solo play is another matter of course, but then you can always try to find a hireling with it:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3256832

For a fighter, the most straightforward (and probably effective) stat allocation, is to max strength and then get CON as high as possible. If you are going Two Weapon Fighting (not really recommended for a first character) you will need a decent DEX as well and should have a look at a beginner's build in the Class Forum here.

Also as you just started as you are about to get 32 point builds a re-roll is probably a good idea, as then you can got 18 CON and 18 STR.

Mithril_Hand
02-14-2012, 04:58 AM
I am constantly get hit with hold person or fear from the kobold shamans and/or the witch doctors and lot of times I die from this (stand there frozen and get beat to death).
At higher levels, you can get the Freedom of Movement spell cast on you and give you immunity to hold spells. Greater Heroism gives you fear immunity and Remove Fear dispels it and gives you a bonus to save against future fear effects. Being near a Paladin increases your saves (particularly against fear) and they can cast Lionheart on you and grant you fear immunity. Protection from Evil stops command. Holy Aura makes you immune to all enchantments and charms. There are a few more but these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. Basically, in time, buffs will solve most of your problems. It'll be tough for a while but it will get better.

I am wandering is this pretty much the only area that I really need a will save and I should just pop some potions for these few quests or should I invest in Wisdom to raise my will save because it will still be needed later on.
Wear a resistance item raise your saves. If you are True Neutral, Stability items provide the same bonus and additionally give AC. You can also wear an item to give you more wisdom but I don't think it'll be worth the slot. Some buffs such as Greater Heroism and Recitation will also improve your saves.

I am unlocking the 32 pt build next week so remaking the character with more wisdom is no big deal at all, I'm just wandering if it's worth it or should I just use those extra stats for another ability instead like Strength maybe.
All you need is Strength and Constitution. And Dexterity if you're a Two-Weapon Fighting (TWF) build.
Having Wisdom on a fighter is a waste imo.

Sarisa
02-14-2012, 06:56 AM
While a little WIS can help in the Harbour, the small boost to your will saves will not do anything to help you once you're in the mid levels. A Fighter or Barbarian will never get a viable will save to save regularly from about level 12 on.

In a lot of end-game content, a 40+ will save Cleric, Monk, or Paladin still cannot reliably save against the effects that can't be buffed against. A Fighter or Barbarian will usually not get much above a 25, even with an investment in WIS, and that's auto-fail on everything but a 20.

Those points in WIS quickly become a waste. CHA would be better after you max STR and CON, if you choose to invest in Intimidate.

If you have an alt, try to farm up a Phiarlan Mirror Cloak (from Partycrashers) or an Infested Armor (from Chronoscope). Both are BtA and low level items that greatly help against Holds, due to the extremely high for the level Spell Resistance. One of those two items makes a huge difference in the level 3/4 to level 7/8 range.

The aforementioned Stability items are also incredible. There are not too many named items with that ability, but it is Cannith craftable with rather low crafting levels if you have done any of that. True Neutral (for Stability), or Chaotic Neutral (for reduced damage from certain end game bosses) are considered the best two alignments.

Such755
02-14-2012, 07:20 AM
If you have the room for it, add a wisdom item.
Hopefuly you went True Neutral, then add yourself Superior Stability, for +6 to all saves.
If not, find items that increase enchantment save.

DavionFuxa
02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Will Saves will become less of an issue later on, but it will always be your characters stumbling block. Even in some Epic runs Will Save is an issue will Greater Command or Dance spells getting cast. The best suggestion would be to deal with the mobs that will be a problem or have a friend make use of break enchantment/deal with them for you.

C-Hound
02-14-2012, 01:38 PM
If you're getting beaten to death in the few seconds of a Hold spell then you're either soloing (or zerging away from your group) or playing with incompetents.

Get a hireling, pro'ly a good cleric (better than Favored Soul as tend to be more helpful in a fight), and see if that helps. Clearly couldn't be worse than what you have going on now.

Lastly, especially in some of the Harbor, jump past the grunts and dogpile the caster(s) first. They are the dangerous one(s) - as you well know. ;)

zex95966
02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
on a fighter, you can't really have a will save worth mentioning. perhaps early levels if your a dwarf... not sure what it takes to resist a fear or hold from a kobold, surely it can't be that high. Still, later on, it won't be kobolds it will be orcs. The good news is after that, you should become friends with a caster who will put freedom of movement on.

Tactics in fighting the groups in question should make the most difference early on.
you should be able to one-shot kobolds, so run or jump past the melee, and aim for the shaman.

also be wary of trip - it's a fortitude save, so as a fighter you shouldn't have to much trouble but of course everyone rolls 1's from time to time. Doggies are the ones that trip you most often, so if there are no casters around take out them out first. Trolls and Minotaurs also have a tendency to charge and knock you down. Minotaurs are very easy to avoid though.

oh and don't bother with wisdom.
It would even be better to dump some points into charisma which fuels important skills like UMD and take force of Personality - I don't recommend it though.