PDA

View Full Version : Hate level indicator

bloodnose13
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
hate level indicator located on the round "thing" showing targetted enemy, it would be very usefull for tanks but also casters or anyone else who DONT want to steal attention.

redspecter23
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree that a hate meter would be amazing. Managing aggro should be a much more precise thing, but there are so many variables that it can be very difficult in a full guild run. Add in unknowns in the form of pugs and aggro management is a massive guessing game.

bloodnose13
02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
my guess is that anyone not haveing any hate would have his "hate bar" empty or close to empty. if it had a safe lvl of hate marker somewhere before maximum value it would be great warning to stop beating/casting.

Sgt_Hart
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
. . . . Yes please?

Cauthey
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
This would be interesting.

Would be even moar neet if it was conditional based on a feat, or ranks in a specific skill. Knowledge: Tactics, or something similar.

With U13 on Lamannia, I've noticed that classes get special lore feats now. Perhaps this could be incorporated into some kind of combat lore?

And, if it's a skill rank, or variable sort of ability, you could have a fuzzy or a crisp meter showing your amount of aggro. The more ranks, feats, class levels, the more crisp and obvious the meter.

JOTMON
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Would be nice to see a hate bar, like the Ki Bar on a Monk.
You could see the hate meter rising as someone builds hate.

kilagan800
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
This is how I learned to play and it's worked out well. When the fighters aggro the monsters, spell casters tend to pick up the aggro after using a spell that deals more dps than the main group. It's then the caster's job to kite the monster(s) back over to the main group so they can ragain aggro, and then the wiz/sorc continue spell casting and assisting the main group.

Sometimes the healer can get caught pulling the aggro, in which it's the wiz/sorc's job to gain the monster's aggro and kite it back to the main group. That's how I play and it's always worked for the group. It sucks when a party is fighting a mob and the healer gets aggro and keeps backing up, backing up and then is too far away from the main group to reach and then dies, and then the group dies one by one by one until wiped.

Therefore, no need for a hate bar because after playing for a while you tend to figure out what's going to happen, and you're prepared for what might happen.

Jinpo
02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
In EverQuest we had a target of your target window. This was very handy in determining who had agro so you could yell at the rogues to evade moar and the tanks to agro moar.

Jendrak
02-17-2012, 01:29 AM
While this would be very useful I think it needs to be optional instead of forced. This is due to some players enjoying immersion. Having a "aggro meter" forced on them would incite alot of resistance (I know cause I suggested this a few years ago). The best way I can see something like this getting put in would be by having the UI customization expanded to include this as a user created function.

By doing it this way you allow those that don't want anything to do with it to keep their immersion, the guys who want it will get it, and by having users build it you get options as to how it displays the data (numbers, color, full list, etc...).

~Quilny
02-17-2012, 06:18 AM
alot of MMO's have hate meters and seems to work very well in most games. I would like them to fix lag first before they do this but I do think it is a great Idea.

/signed

Niv-mizzet
02-17-2012, 06:21 AM
EQ's target-of-target bar was really handy. No more using /assist on the mob to figure out who he hates most.

As for "feeling it out" like we did in EQ, that game also had a lot less variance in classes and strategies, and you spent FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR longer slaughtering enemies 1 at a time and getting practice in on your aggro management.

I eventually figured out that you could tell which DPS types were the best at aggro management when the main tank went down: Any of them that were in that tiny window underneath the main tank and on top of the clerics were doing a damn good job. I eventually got really consistent about being a post-tank speed-bump on my wizard during guild raids.

Anyway, nostalgia aside, while I kinda prefer the old "feel it out" approach, I don't think DDO offers enough boring repetitive killing of things with silly high hp with the same set of team-mates to give people anywhere near the level of practice required to be good enough to not just be guessing at it.

bloodnose13
02-17-2012, 07:48 AM
This would be interesting.

Would be even moar neet if it was conditional based on a feat, or ranks in a specific skill. Knowledge: Tactics, or something similar.

With U13 on Lamannia, I've noticed that classes get special lore feats now. Perhaps this could be incorporated into some kind of combat lore?

And, if it's a skill rank, or variable sort of ability, you could have a fuzzy or a crisp meter showing your amount of aggro. The more ranks, feats, class levels, the more crisp and obvious the meter.

not a bad idea.

as for the idea of haveing your hate level visible in party vitals then i thought more about being able to see your own hate lvl so you know if you will lose aggro if you are tanking or when you will get attacked when you dont want to, i dont know if seeing hate lvl of others would be soo good. adding hate meter would allow to anyone, even those that are not to knowledgeable about how hate works to learn to manage their aggro faster. its very easy to see a caster to dot a target and then wonder why he is dead after enemy chased him down (best visible in VOD when casters dot sulo, and then either die or kite him around after he teleports) i think that seeing that hate bar to fill to maximum would be a good warning to stop casting/beating and say your prayers for someone else to take aggro, or painless death.