PDA

View Full Version : Equiping item that affects UMD causes character to lag for a couple seconds.

Vengeance777
02-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I've noticed this on all my characters but especially on the UMD scroll users. If you swap items in to raise your UMD you will experience a lag like effect where you are unable to move for up to 2 seconds, and you will sometimes float in the air or leash back to wear you were when the item was equipped. This appears to happen anytime you equip an item that effects UMD. Swapping in charisma items, UMD skill boosting items, being disjuncted or Ego whipped, and wearing the Bunny Hat while holding a scroll or wand cause this. None of the other Stats appear to cause the lag its only Charisma and appears to be because charisma effects UMD.

My guess is the games checking all your items to make sure you have the UMD to wear or use them. Its extremely annoying though as you can swap to a heal scroll to heal yourself and be killed during the time the games recalculating your UMD. During this lag like effect you can still be attacked but can not act, your combat log will suddenly be filled with lots of information when the lag effect ends. The Bunny Hat from the store seems to cause the worst effect of this because you will experience it everytime you swap from a scroll or wand to another item.

I thought this was fixed a few updates ago but it seems to have been reintroduced to the game. Hopefully its an easy fix.

MsEricka
02-11-2012, 03:38 AM
People still say this happens on live. I personally have never experienced it.

Sarisa
02-11-2012, 06:56 AM
I've used four different PC's to play DDO, and the UMD (and Move Silently) hitch happened on three of the four. I don't know what is different between the one PC that it worked well on (my oldest PC) and the three others.

It's most noticeable in eADQ1, when you get hit by a Disjunction ball.

MrCow
02-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I've used four different PC's to play DDO, and the UMD (and Move Silently) hitch happened on three of the four. I don't know what is different between the one PC that it worked well on (my oldest PC) and the three others.

Was one of those computers running Windows XP, instead of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or a non-windows operating system?

Sarisa
02-11-2012, 08:28 AM
The old PC that did not have the UMD hitch was XP Pro.
My laptop, that does have the UMD hitch is XP Pro.
My work PC, when I get on at lunch, and where I do have the UMD hitch is Vista Pro.
My current PC, where I also have the UMD hitch, is Win7 Home.

Syllph
02-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I have the exact same issue. I use the bunny hat and it's rather horrible. I full 2-3 sec lag. this has caused me more problems than any other source.

For experimental data, I run a laptop, windows 7.

Originally I figured it mas my poor system. It's definitely not a gaming machine.

-Zephyr-
02-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I get this a lot as well.
Usually tho, it's after a few character switchs, or just lots of instance loadings. My client is very subject to crashing (I do crash a lot, zoning in sands, red fens, necro, and sometimes anywhere not even loading), and I think that lag is linked to it : the more I lag when UMD-swapping, the more chances I have to crash next instance loading.

When I just logged on, the UMD lag is pretty low, if not inexistant.

lethargos
02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
i gave up on the bunny hat becouse of the lag. its like 2-3 seconds of 2fps

AMDarkwolf
02-11-2012, 01:13 PM
On my old system, never had the issue not at all. winxp pro, not a bad system just not as good as my new one.

New system the problem is compounded to include ALL skills< ANY buff that would raise or lower ANY skill causes the lag. The problem gets worse the longer the game is running(IE if game is running for 10 min, the lag may only be 1/2 a second, but if the client has been running for 2+ hrs, the lag can be intense and last 4-5 seconds)

New system is win7. New system is quadcore xenom, 32 gigs(Yes 32 gigs) ram, xfired 6770's 1 gig gpu's, etc. And again its ALL skill changes. (+ to str, exhaust, cha dmg, con dmg, fear, etc, it don't matter if its umd related or not, although umd 'hits' do seem to cause MORE lag, I just notice it with all)

MsEricka
02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't think it's the OS because on both of my computers I do not have the issue. One is XP pro and the other is Vista.

SisAmethyst
02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I not think its the OS as I upgraded from WinXP to Win7.

While it indeed run far more smooth with Win7 I still get from time to time a little bit of UMD lag. However I have the impression it doesn't even need to be you who is the source of the lag, as it seems that if one in the party has this issue it is shared to the others in the party, or at least increase its intensity.

Maybe it is as well related to content/location or a specific item that one of the player in the party has. But I remember that we nearly froze after using the store bought flower for a good hope buff inside of the Shadow Crypt a while ago.

Teharahma
02-11-2012, 06:33 PM
It's probably cus the game has to recalculate everything with a UMD-check.

The more different scrolls you have, the more lag it causes. Etc.

badbob117
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
i gave up on the bunny hat becouse of the lag. its like 2-3 seconds of 2fps

Same here man. This issue seems to be off an on for the past 3 years with me. The hat for me is just not fun anymore.

The whole UMD lag bug is enough to make me not even bother rolling toons with umd anymore. Seems the moment i choose 1 point of umd on a character i can pretty much guarantee that toon will be lagging after around a dozen scroll or item swaps. It just progressively gets worse the longer I have the client running.

It got better a few updates ago but then it managed to work its way back into game for me. I honestly do not think it is the os you run that makes it happen. I have 2 rigs and laptop. My old pc has xp, My new one windows 7 and my laptop has cruddy vista. The umd lag is there regardless! .

One thing i noticed that can amplify the umd scroll/item swap bug bigtime is character swapping. Change toons a few times on your characters with no umd and it is not a big deal. But if i do it with my umd guys then i am in for a world of frustration. !.

sirgog
02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
This bug is serious, IMO. It makes it almost impossible for characters with UMD that have been hit by a Greater Heroism (or other similar buff) to damage the purple titan in Master Artificer while it is moving. While you never want that titan moving, it happens a lot.

Freezing for 500-1500 milliseconds every time you enter or exit that Titan's aura is crippling there. For this reason I always insist on not having any GH's cast and tell people with GH on them to deliberately die in the electric trap.

badbob117
02-12-2012, 06:52 PM
This bug is serious, IMO. It makes it almost impossible for characters with UMD that have been hit by a Greater Heroism (or other similar buff) to damage the purple titan in Master Artificer while it is moving. While you never want that titan moving, it happens a lot.

Freezing for 500-1500 milliseconds every time you enter or exit that Titan's aura is crippling there. For this reason I always insist on not having any GH's cast and tell people with GH on them to deliberately die in the electric trap.

I do not run this raid because that darned titan aura messes me up to much. The few times i did run it on my bard it was downright awful. Greater heroism , Focussing chant, bunny hat and the titan aura = no fun at all. I just lag like mad at that point.

This is probably the Worst effect this bug has on the community. The item swappin is one thing but but this raid is a whole different story. I would love if they totally removed that aura the titan has and replaced it with something else. It ruins this raid for a lot of people.

Tuney
02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
if they changed the aura... I can see it granting an anti-healing , repair and negative energy healing like in the abbot puzzle plus it has total immunity to all spells til it reaches the 'sweet point.' Now wouldn't that be fun...

TheDearLeader
02-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Things that cause this for me:

Magical Buffs -

Prayer, Greater Heroism (Good Hope, Heroism), Focusing Chant
Magical Debuffs -

Prayer, Crushing Despair, Bestow Curse, Ego Whip, "Shaken" Effect of Fear spells

Having any of the above Dispelled by Dispel, Greater Dispel, Disjunction, Beholder Antimagic Area, Master Artificer Purple Titan "Antimagic Aura" effect.

Ship Buffs -

Phiarlan Entertainer (+1 Luck), Lesser Charisma Shrine
Untyped other temporary buffs -

Human Versatility : Skills, Walk of the Sun, Moment of Clarity, Inspire Competence
Swapping items -

Green Steel Charisma Skills Items, Spyglass, Golden Cartouche, Command/Persuasion items, +2 Luck items, any scroll with a UMD requirement, any item with a UMD Class/Race requirement, any item with "Master's Touch" or "Proficiency : Item", such as The Mad Lute&Bards/Epic Midnight's Greetings&Assassin III
Having any of the above items disjuncted.

As stated by others, this is much more noticeable after a couple of toon swaps. Windows 7 Ultimate, and a system well capable of running it.

Zonixx
02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep, at first I thought it was items with conc-opp, but after some testing it seems to be items that effect UMD.

For me its not a few seconds, perhaps around 1/2 a second but nontheless its annoying. Makes it difficult to switch back and forth from HP gloves and vile's to use clickies.

TheDearLeader
02-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I've decided to do a brief video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByBQd4aZ28) showing exactly how crippling this issue is.

Frame rate is on the Right side of the screen, above the "Teleport" Hotbar I have set up. Note how it doesn't dip below 30, unless I remove an item that specifically messes with UMD, Master's Touch, or both.

(Note: My Frame rate is normally ~60 FPS; for at least part of the video, FRAPS is trying to "cap" Frames at 30 FPS, because that is what I tell it to record at. The exact number you see doesn't matter, as much as the fact that the system all but locks up, and frame rate momentarily tanks at the same time.)

It'll be ready at 1920x1200 Resolution shortly; Youtube takes a few moments to process it.

badbob117
02-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I've decided to do a brief video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByBQd4aZ28) showing exactly how crippling this issue is.

Frame rate is on the Right side of the screen, above the "Teleport" Hotbar I have set up. Note how it doesn't dip below 30, unless I remove an item that specifically messes with UMD, Master's Touch, or both.

(Note: My Frame rate is normally ~60 FPS; for at least part of the video, FRAPS is trying to "cap" Frames at 30 FPS, because that is what I tell it to record at. The exact number you see doesn't matter, as much as the fact that the system all but locks up, and frame rate momentarily tanks at the same time.)

It'll be ready at 1920x1200 Resolution shortly; Youtube takes a few moments to process it.

Nice vid. I cringed watching it. It shows what most of us experience better then words can describe. Man i wish they fixed this once and for all. It is a big bummer! Especially in high combat intensive scenarios :(

Vengeance777
02-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Thats exactly the slow down I was trying to describe. Thanks a ton for posting a video showing the effect.

sweez
02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Ugh, watching that video is like nails on a chalkboard

MRMechMan
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
If it was any other skill I would not care.

But it's freaking UMD, and I get a nice solid 2 seconds of frozen time when switching ANYTHING that effects UMD, which is a lot.

And it's been around quite a while.

Rumbaar
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, the Bunny Hat UMD has been a killer for me in the past. Turns DDO in to stop motion animation for me within quests of higher than green DA

TheDearLeader
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Nice vid. I cringed watching it. It shows what most of us experience better then words can describe. Man i wish they fixed this once and for all. It is a big bummer! Especially in high combat intensive scenarios :(

Exactly. That's just me feather falling down to Reaver's Refuge, with nothing else going on. It's practically a private instance, considering how few people are in there at once. The fact that we get worse in any sort of real game situation is horrible.

Thats exactly the slow down I was trying to describe. Thanks a ton for posting a video showing the effect.

No problem. I'm glad it came out so well for something I put together in like ten minutes.

Ugh, watching that video is like nails on a chalkboard

Exactly. This is either something that QA cannot reproduce, or does not reproduce because they've simply never tried. Either way, it's only gotten worse.

Infant
05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
/bump and necro the thread.

This is a crippling issue for anyone with a UMD score. In addition, in case of the bunny hat, it's a also selling a nearly broken item in the store.

Infant