PDA

View Full Version : What sorc PrE?

Tertriary
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I was thinking about making a sorc, but idk what prestige i should take. Air for the lightning/featherfall, earth for acid and the idk, fire for.. idk... atleast fire spells or water for ice and permanent waterbreathing at level 12?

Olath_Senger
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I was thinking about making a sorc, but idk what prestige i should take. Air for the lightning/featherfall, earth for acid and the idk, fire for.. idk... atleast fire spells or water for ice and permanent waterbreathing at level 12?

They common agreement is that Fire is easier for levelling, while Air is best at endgame.

DefunctEquation
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Air is decent, but I've found Water to be best endgame.

Ancient
02-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I have met some people who just love earth/acid.

They did a good job on making all four PREs very viable.

MRMechMan
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Earth and fire are both the easiest to level. Fire brings a lot to the table considering all the undead, but even before vale a shocking amount of things are straight up immune to fire.

Earth is slightly easier due to acid rain being incredible, and less mobs immune to your element all the way through endgame. Thaarak hounds and a couple others. Once you get acid rain you can do nothing but cast that one spell and cap off of it.

At endgame earth is *considerably* less raid boss DPS than air or water due to nerfed eladars. However, earthgrab completely outclasses any other teir3 special ability. Mid-high 40s reflex DC is not impossible, so basically you can perma-hold any orange named or normal creature. 15s cooldown, lasts 12s and costs 15sp so can basically control a single mob forever. Can CC a lot of epics with just this and ottos dance/power word stun. DCs matter very little, making WF a strong choice for this element.

Air is solid at endgame, but DCs matter more than other elements. Without multiple sorc past lives WF is potentially a poor choice. Wings, knockdown immunity and 2 strong DOTs make this a good endgame dps choice, with more survivability than any other element. A weaker acid rain hurts, but only a bit. Chain lightning and ball lightning will clear most any room, but ARE more DC dependent and lategame things will start saving if you aren't built right-whereas acid rain/icestorm/polar ray/FW saves don't really matter.

Water is the highest DPS element. Icy prison is mediocre compared to earthgrab, but polar ray is really the spell that gains the most from the savant caster level boost. Both strong DOTs, full strength acid raid and best single target nuke make water the best raidboss DPS by a considerable margin. Meteor swarm is not effected by caster level. The extra cold resist also makes TOD shadowtanking even easier. Eardwellered crit caster level 30 polar rays on held, cursed fire creatures is nothing short of horrifying.

Anything but fire is viable endgame.

JeisonBlade
02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
each one has its own style and benefits, Im a huge fan of fire/elec for leveling then water/elec for high end (when It comes to epics it depends on which ones you like to run).

I always tell prospective sorcs to stock up on blood of dragons and be prepared to respec several times during your career, you never know until you try what style is best for you.

zex95966
02-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Earth and fire are both the easiest to level. Fire brings a lot to the table considering all the undead, but even before vale a shocking amount of things are straight up immune to fire.

Earth is slightly easier due to acid rain being incredible, and less mobs immune to your element all the way through endgame. Thaarak hounds and a couple others. Once you get acid rain you can do nothing but cast that one spell and cap off of it.

At endgame earth is *considerably* less raid boss DPS than air or water due to nerfed eladars. However, earthgrab completely outclasses any other teir3 special ability. Mid-high 40s reflex DC is not impossible, so basically you can perma-hold any orange named or normal creature. 15s cooldown, lasts 12s and costs 15sp so can basically control a single mob forever. Can CC a lot of epics with just this and ottos dance/power word stun. DCs matter very little, making WF a strong choice for this element.

Air is solid at endgame, but DCs matter more than other elements. Without multiple sorc past lives WF is potentially a poor choice. Wings, knockdown immunity and 2 strong DOTs make this a good endgame dps choice, with more survivability than any other element. A weaker acid rain hurts, but only a bit. Chain lightning and ball lightning will clear most any room, but ARE more DC dependent and lategame things will start saving if you aren't built right-whereas acid rain/icestorm/polar ray/FW saves don't really matter.

Water is the highest DPS element. Icy prison is mediocre compared to earthgrab, but polar ray is really the spell that gains the most from the savant caster level boost. Both strong DOTs, full strength acid raid and best single target nuke make water the best raidboss DPS by a considerable margin. Meteor swarm is not effected by caster level. The extra cold resist also makes TOD shadowtanking even easier. Eardwellered crit caster level 30 polar rays on held, cursed fire creatures is nothing short of horrifying.

Anything but fire is viable endgame.

agreed.

Personally I like water because the big dps over time spells (black dragon bolt, niacs, and eladars) can all be boosted without taking any penalties.

Saravis
02-15-2012, 03:16 AM
I was going to go water, back when I was leveling my Savant, after Earth, but after having quickly found Earth boring I decided to give Air a try, have been hooked since. Perhaps I'll give Water a try at some point in time.

My biggest gripe with Earth is that its the slowest killing DPS of all the Savants because of it primarily being DoTS. You'll waste a good bit of SP tossing spells at things, that need to run their course, only to have someone run in and blast/wail it away.

morticianjohn
02-15-2012, 03:28 AM
I was going to go water, back when I was leveling my Savant, after Earth, but after having quickly found Earth boring I decided to give Air a try, have been hooked since. Perhaps I'll give Water a try at some point in time.

My biggest gripe with Earth is that its the slowest killing DPS of all the Savants because of it primarily being DoTS. You'll waste a good bit of SP tossing spells at things, that need to run their course, only to have someone run in and blast/wail it away.

I followed an earth savant through elite enter the kobold. All he did was run to the end dropping acid rains behind him. Not a single mob could catch up to him. Another time I saw an earth savant clear rooms in elite trial by fire with one acid blast. I haven't played earth savant yet but unless you are talking raid boss dps it seems like a top choice.

Saravis
02-15-2012, 03:40 AM
I followed an earth savant through elite enter the kobold. All he did was run to the end dropping acid rains behind him. Not a single mob could catch up to him. Another time I saw an earth savant clear rooms in elite trial by fire with one acid blast. I haven't played earth savant yet but unless you are talking raid boss dps it seems like a top choice.

Oh don't get me wrong, they do good dps, arguably some of the best, but they are the slowest DPS. And while that method of acid rain in EtK may seem impressive, its really very poor SP management as only 1-2 ticks will hit an enemy before they move on to the next rain. That strategy is no different from kiting a mob through a FW, only instead of one FW, you cast numerous acid rain. If it works, all well and good, but just very poor SP management. Furthermore, if there was a wizard or water or air savant then the situation would have been very different and most of those acid rains would have been a complete waste.

epopotamus
02-15-2012, 03:40 AM
MRMechMan nailed it in one.

ive tried air a few times, but i just didnt like the feel of it.
my sorc switched between earth and water....whenever i get some dragon bloods from tor runs.
with max ice/elec/acid lines for dmg, the output from water savant is insane, and you dont even need great saves to do it.

but as stated previously, 3/4 savant PrE's are viable endgame, and it just comes down to preference.
perhaps fire will be good for the expansion?

Havok.cry
02-15-2012, 04:13 AM
IMHO air's SLAs are the most powerful, but Water is more powerful over all.

Water savant gives you a boost to polar ray (best single target damage spell). It also boosts one of the two dots (acid weakens one of them) without weakening the other dots (full strength black dragon bolt, melfs, burning blood, acid rain). It also has otilukes and cone of cold, which are imho the best AOE nukes. In addition to that it has the only static AOE that will do something to everything (icestorm does force damage) On top of that, the only spell that fire has that anyone would even consider using over something everything isn't immune to, is Meteor swarm, which has no caster level based damage, so is not effected by savant penalties, AND is boosted by force enhancements, so you dont have to put a single point into fire.

The water SLAs are heavy on the single target nukes, and are quite strong, but their AOE is the weakest of the AOE SLAs. Electricity on the other hand has double striking lightning bolts (my highest damage to a single target from one casting totaled ~2700, no quad damage buff involved... sadly no screenshot) It is strong, and can hit everything in a line, granted that's not going to be as much as fireball/acid blast, but it is still imho the best one. In addition to that they get an electric surge (or whatever its called) that can help out in the crowd control department (not the best, but its free and it can save your bacon), and is a second AOE one) sadly shocking grasp is imho not worth putting on the hotbar. Also air gets winddance... which is pure awesome... on your hotbar.

Someone else went over the acid spells adequately, but, I just want to add that acid blast is a sweet SLA, and Melfs is awesome. Melfs on a specced out acid savant is basically hit a target with it and ignore them... they're gonna die, just move on (some exceptions apply).

Fire is king at early levels. It is easily the most powerful savant type from level 1-12 (maybe higher) after that it is next to useless. If you do go with fire, it is even more important for you to bring spells that are off your element. Every savant type should, but for a fire savant, 90% of mid-late game content will think your trying to tickle them if you don't.

darthhento
02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Agreeing with the post above.

But,
AIR GIVES YOU WINGS! Once you get hooked on wings there's no going back.

The only other class I decided to play was FvS. Guess why? And I'd prolly make a monk if I had it.

XO, Darthwolf

Sarisa
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Agree with all the above.

Earth or Fire for levelling.
Water for maximum raidboss DPS.
Air for slightly less raidboss DPS but more versatility in non-raids.

Solmage
02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Wow, it's so rare to find actually good savant info posted, good job, +1 for saving me a lot of typing :)

As for myself I have a strong predilection for ice, I like the feel of it, and I hate the epic demon queen, so that works out rather well. But lightning is what I often recommend for end-game, the wings are awesome :)

One small comment: Acid savant is easily the best at dealing with the current fubar that is the Abbot raid, and arguably the only caster to bring "good enough DPS to bring over some melee" in there. So if you're going to run Abbots, it's not the worst strategy to spec for acid until you're done running them and then switch out.

Kayla93
02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
On first life id probably go fire + acid while lvling, and then water + acid at end game.

Yeah, sure. u can say water +ele at end game is better boss dps. It is.
But water + acid is not closing your way to raids like Abbott.

wax_on_wax_off
02-19-2012, 06:14 AM
I'd suggest to - and have done - earth savant from level 6 to 19 and swap to air or water at level 20. Earth is great at level 20 for epics and non-devil raids and fire isn't too bad either but I'd finish off raiding before taking this option.

Earth while leveling is phenomenal.