PDA

View Full Version : Guild alliances?

underpants
02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
It would be super cool if guilds could form alliances and perhaps get a shared chat box for the alliance. I'm sure this is doable with the current game mechanics by making a custom chat room but it would be nice if it had a nifty control panel and multiple guilds etc. . . It would also be nice to have some sort of guild vs guild competitions (highest score in challenges etc. . .)

CavernDragon
02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
It would be super cool if guilds could form alliances and perhaps get a shared chat box for the alliance. I'm sure this is doable with the current game mechanics by making a custom chat room but it would be nice if it had a nifty control panel and multiple guilds etc. . . It would also be nice to have some sort of guild vs guild competitions (highest score in challenges etc. . .)

Just use the join channel and make one for any alliances

Silverwren
02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
What would the point of guild alliances be? What benefits would each guild get from joining with other guilds? If it's just to chat with each other and PvP (or GvG in this case) then I'd be opposed to this suggestion.

See if you can give us some better reasons to support you, underpants.

AeliusMaximus
10-30-2012, 12:31 PM
What would the point of guild alliances be? What benefits would each guild get from joining with other guilds? If it's just to chat with each other and PvP (or GvG in this case) then I'd be opposed to this suggestion.

See if you can give us some better reasons to support you, underpants.

I personally think this would be an excellent idea. Here are my reasons why I think so ...

1) Small guilds seem to dominate the ddo landscape, yet I suspect many of them (at least my own) would enjoy sharing a guild alliance chat (aka alliance) with other small guilds.

2) In my experience, small guild members enjoy the autonomy of having their own guild rules/name, etc. In other words they want to retain their own identity rather than have to join a bigger guild.

3) Bigger groups of people make for easier/faster group/raid formation ... something that should be in Turbine's interest == more activity rather than people sitting around doing nothing.

4) I am fully aware of the /joinchannel feature and let me say as nicely as I can ... that tool is terrible! Here are the reasons why ....
a - you can't see who is logged in to the channel
b - it doesn't have the nice interface like the guild tab where you can click and /tell or /invite people
c - it's almost like some kind of hack where you have to set it up and log-in. In this day and age of technology .. seriously? They can't just make it point and click like the guild tab? It's a pain to use and error prone.

All of these issues could be alleviated if they just scrapped the /joinchannel command line **** and re-designed it as a visual graphical user interface similar to the guild tab .... Orrrr, allow for formal guild alliances (create an alliance admin tab for guild leaders/officers) where the "alliance" chat would over-ride the guild chat and "alliance" members would show in the member list. Seems like it would be a relatively easy feature to implement that would positively benefit a potentially large group of players.

Silverwren
10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
3) Bigger groups of people make for easier/faster group/raid formation ... something that should be in Turbine's interest == more activity rather than people sitting around doing nothing.

This is the only reason I could support this suggestion. It would take some work to implement. You'd probably have to add a new Alliance chat channel that could be tied into all the other chat channels (similar to how the advice channel can be seen in the party channel, for example) and a new Alliances tab next to the Guild tab that lists out the same information as the Guild tab, except that it gives out information on the other guilds in your alliance.

Sounds do-able.

Sonos
10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I can get on board with a nice neat graphical interface. But the guild alliance channels we have over on Argo seem to work out great for filling a raid or group.

/signed because I like nice UI but to the OP, make do.

donfilibuster
10-31-2012, 08:04 PM
It'd be good to have guild alliances as a feature.
Won't be as important as adding guild ranks, but still something nice to have.

It'd help with the dilemma of being on a big guild or making a small one.
As it is now, you get to choose one over the other, with the feature you aren't forced to one or the other.

Situations may vary, there's a lot of them.
Sometimes guildies split from differences, like going casual/raiding, or leadership, common interests, etc.
Sometimes you begin running with another group, or have toons in different guilds.
At some point your guild may grow too big, or too small.
Some players also like to keep their own ships, etc.

Thing is people coming and going is natural and to be expected.
It'd be nice to have a flag to keep em all in touch.
So far we can do it by ourselves, or off-game, but it'd add to the game to have it built in.

Ways to do it may vary, one is a new chat interface.
Another is to have subguilds, which would share a guild channel but not officer channel.
Another is just linking guilds, you'll have them listed in myddo or have tools like a filter on the /who.

Either way turbine would sell more guild charters.
Both from allowing people that want their own guilds and from any new alliance guilds.

It'd also solve the guild ranks to some extent, since you can have things like a training guild, etc.

In an ideal world the parent guilds would grow as the children do, but that'd be an extra.
For purposes of renown farming, etc. things can stay the way they are.
(and for the sake of seeing it done, gotta keep things simple)

Musouka
10-31-2012, 09:28 PM
I think this would be counter-productive for guilds all together. The idea of being in a guild is to play with other like-minded individuals. Why doesn't just one of those guilds just disband and join the higher level guild? Then you have the graphical interface that already exists with the guild tab.