PDA

View Full Version : Because I'm sure it's never been brought up before...

Llewndyn
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
A manifesto...

Dear Turbine,

I am probably in the minority. I may be wrong. Others may have come up with many and sundry ways to work around some of the recent "upgrades" to things. I am not one of them.

I would rather have health bars fixed so I can friggin heal someone without slowly clicking on their health bar 7 times, which I have been training myself to do, than have druids. I would rather know that every heal goes where I need it to go instead of 1 out of every 5 hitting myself even if the other character's bar seems lit up than have a new adventure area. I would rather when someone tries to use a cake or a curse wand on me They don't hit themselves 2 times before they can get me properly targeted. When things are going slowly and no one is in any real danger, it's not so bad. When running Acute Delirium or Running with the Devils (I picked those two because of how fast things can get out of hand) on elite, or even Master Artificer on Normal, I would like to throw blade barrier, divine punishment, holy smite, destruction maybe, and wade in there, throwing the odd heal as I need to. As it stands now, if the quest gets even a little touchy, I have to stop what I'm doing, make sure I'm holding a heal scroll, then try to click on the other player's name and heal them, with the heal scroll as backup if/ when I inevitably heal myself. This is lame. I know some other healers have found a way around it, but I like the olden way. It made me happy.

Since I love analogies so much, this is the same thing as a good running car getting a flat tire. In the normal world, you would get out, get the spare, change the tire, and take the tire to get it repaired/ replaced. It seems anymore with some of the recent moves that if Turbine's car had a flat you would replace the radio with a detachable face CD player and drive home, ignoring the thumping and eventual sparks flying from your car. Sure, the radio sounds sweet, and no one would argue against that. It's just that there were more important things that needed to be attended to beforehand.

I will roll up a druid. I will play the new quests. I will be annoyed that even though I am a VIP I will somehow have to pay for that privelege, but that's another story. Please fix the broken stuff before you come out with new stuff that makes it even more critical that the stuff that got broken be fixed.

Love,

Llewndyn

PS - I am only being so obtuse because I love the game so much. There is nothing else I would rather play, and I will continue supporting the game I enjoy even if these don't get fixed. Now that you know even if nothing gets fixed you will still get my money, I am sure I can use this as a bargaining chip for later requests.

Ungood
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
A manifesto...

Dear Turbine,

I am probably in the minority. I may be wrong. Others may have come up with many and sundry ways to work around some of the recent "upgrades" to things. I am not one of them.

I would rather have health bars fixed so I can friggin heal someone without slowly clicking on their health bar 7 times, which I have been training myself to do, than have druids. I would rather know that every heal goes where I need it to go instead of 1 out of every 5 hitting myself even if the other character's bar seems lit up than have a new adventure area. I would rather when someone tries to use a cake or a curse wand on me They don't hit themselves 2 times before they can get me properly targeted. When things are going slowly and no one is in any real danger, it's not so bad. When running Acute Delirium or Running with the Devils (I picked those two because of how fast things can get out of hand) on elite, or even Master Artificer on Normal, I would like to throw blade barrier, divine punishment, holy smite, destruction maybe, and wade in there, throwing the odd heal as I need to. As it stands now, if the quest gets even a little touchy, I have to stop what I'm doing, make sure I'm holding a heal scroll, then try to click on the other player's name and heal them, with the heal scroll as backup if/ when I inevitably heal myself. This is lame. I know some other healers have found a way around it, but I like the olden way. It made me happy.

Since I love analogies so much, this is the same thing as a good running car getting a flat tire. In the normal world, you would get out, get the spare, change the tire, and take the tire to get it repaired/ replaced. It seems anymore with some of the recent moves that if Turbine's car had a flat you would replace the radio with a detachable face CD player and drive home, ignoring the thumping and eventual sparks flying from your car. Sure, the radio sounds sweet, and no one would argue against that. It's just that there were more important things that needed to be attended to beforehand.

I will roll up a druid. I will play the new quests. I will be annoyed that even though I am a VIP I will somehow have to pay for that privelege, but that's another story. Please fix the broken stuff before you come out with new stuff that makes it even more critical that the stuff that got broken be fixed.

Love,

Llewndyn

PS - I am only being so obtuse because I love the game so much. There is nothing else I would rather play, and I will continue supporting the game I enjoy even if these don't get fixed. Now that you know even if nothing gets fixed you will still get my money, I am sure I can use this as a bargaining chip for later requests.

Is there a problem with the F(target) that I am unaware of?

IE: Using: F1 (yourself) - F12 to target party members in succession?

Maybe I may be missing something here, but I have never used the click on their names method in at the middle of a dungeon or quest as I can't say I ever had a problem targeting my group mates with the F(target) method.

herzkos
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Maybe I may be missing something here, but I have never used the click on their names method in at the middle of a dungeon or quest as I can't say I ever had a problem targeting my group mates with the F(target) method.

We used to have two effective ways of doing things. Now we have 1 effective way. The people (for whatever
reason) who are used to the other way find it difficult to adjust to the "new way". I myself preferred the
click on bar of the character who is hurt and cast the desired spell. That way I could use two hands instead
of mentally figuring out which fkey and and then finding the right spell. I was far quicker using the
click on bar than I am the fkey method though I would occasionally cast the spell too fast and thus
heal myself. I suppose i could do the same thing now with the fkey and mouse click the spell on the hotbar.

ThatLukeGuy
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM

I've never really had a huge issue with the click-on-name method of healing, although I tend to prefer casually surfing the low-mid range of levels on an army of alts so that may be why I don't find it a bigger bother than I do.

Whenever I do a raid on my main (mostly shroud, the occasional hound, rarely something else) I DO get a bit nervous with the method though, but here is my problem: on my keyboard I have my left hand on the WASD movement keys and my right is holding the mouse for aiming where I go, and for clicking spells/clickies. In a darker room, it's dangerous to take my left hand from the WASD keys to hunt for the right F-key. Not being able to move (out of the of blades for example) seems like it could be dangerous for a healer.

Not knocking the F-key method, just giving an example of someone who has not adopted it yet, and why.

Quetzacoala
02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Glad that I am not the only one who prefers clicking to the f keys.

Ungood
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Ah, Ok fair enough.

I tend to avoid clicking on much as I crawl because it seems the game won't let me attack if the mouse is over anything, which includes names, hot bars, chat windows, etc. So, I basically run mostly mouseless.

All different ways to play.

Bummer about it being a problem for you tho.:o

Llewndyn
02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I did NOT know about the F keys, and will give that a try, but my main problem is that it WASN'T broken before, and when they prettied it up they broke it. Adding cool little digital bologna did NOTHING to add to the functionality of the health bars; all it did was make it harder to keep people healed or target them for remove curse or what have you. I shouldn't have to go friggin learn a new way to do something because the old way, which WORKED, got completely broken!

*pant* *pant* *huff*

OK I'm done. Seriously though, I would pay for a DDO store health bar UN-upgrade. One that put the old style bars back that were just flat red and lit up SUBSTANTIALLY when you targeted someone. That is all.

Cauthey
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Interesting monster, Habit is. :p

The cleric that I play, I have only done so in regular quest dungeons. I can F-key heal our static group like a champ.

However, when it comes to healing quickly in a RAID I am all-a-fumble. I was attempting to do so last night - Ellarinen was playing backup healer, and then a few blades later on Shroud Hard (w/ some incompetence on the part of others) SOLE healer for a brief period of time. It was amusing to me - the extra six players just blows even F1-F6 out of the water for me. It's just entirely different...something I'll need to re-learn.

The only thing that will allow me to master this is practice, I think. More practice F-key healing in 12 player raids.

redspecter23
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is related to your issue, but I find quite often now that the player list UI seems to get hidden "under" another part of the UI on my screen. It's nothing I can see overlapping it, but I definitely can't click on some names without shifting all the UI parts around and then placing the party list back on top of some phantom UI part that was covering it before.

Semi related rant. Why can't I attack if my mouse cursor is hovering over any UI section?! Please let me attack even if my mouse is on top of my UI

MsEricka
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
The F keys will make your targeting faster, and guaranteed to target that person as long as they are in range.

When I first started levelling my Favored Soul I used to click on people. That was slow and awkward. I learned to use the F keys and this sped up the process tremendously.

F it. You'll learn to love it.

countfitz
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I used to use the mouse to click on names then the keyboard/joystick to cast heals. I still do. But if it was a problem, I would instead use the F1-12 buttons and the mouse for heals. Heck, using only keyboard buttons works.

I usually, unless I'm in crazy raids, rely just on a mouse and joystick and heal just fine with neither.

So, long story short, NO. Give us Druids.

Kmnh
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
You can map your heal scroll to a nearby key - q, e,, r and v are good options. I do that :)