PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Cove

nibel
02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Hide +5 through +13 upgrades are now available in Euphonia's hat box.

Please, say that this is listed because you guys want to add the box and Cove gems to Three Barrel Cove, and not because we will get a fifth round of the same event which most vets already got everything they needed on the first 4 times.

Pretty please? :D

FranOhmsford
02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Please say we're getting Crystal Cove back - Some of us didn't get everything we needed - Some of us barely got lvl 4 and lvl 8 items.

The vets aren't the only people playing this game after all.

AylinIsAwesome
02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Please, say that this is listed because you guys want to add the box and Cove gems to Three Barrel Cove, and not because we will get a fifth round of the same event which most vets already got everything they needed on the first 4 times.

I've been looking forward to it coming back. I missed rounds 3 and 4, and didn't get everything I wanted.

FengXian
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
How about making events more "unique", replacing some items every time, or at least adding something new?

I get it vets are not the only players, but who says everyone needs to have a chance to have every item ever released? I'll never be able to get the founder stuff, so I don't see a problem if a player that starts now won't be able to get some old CC or mabar stuff.

And yeah, it's kinda annoying if you have everything you need, give vets a reason to run it too at least^^

nibel
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
How about making events more "unique", replacing some items every time, or at least adding something new?

Basically, this. We got a replay on Cove last year. And the more a seasonal even is repeated, less value it attain. I love CC loot, but I'm a bit tired of Crystal Cove itself. Specially because we can get spammed with kobold voices on the challenges in house C.

I think cove loot, on the other hand, can be added to 3BC. Everyone know 3BC need a lot of named loot to be worthy of it cost.

QuantumFX
02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi, I’m one of those vets that “already got everything they needed on the first 4 times.” Gear layouts have changed. Now, I want other types of hats.

Thrudh
02-03-2012, 09:58 PM

I want Crystal Cove back. I'm a vet, and I still don't have everything I want...

And I'm pretty sure there are a lot more non-vets than vets.

Quit trying to get them to run the game around vets...

Myrddinman
02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I completely missed it last time around and would love to see it back sometime in the future.

FengXian
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM

It's not like that Thrudh. I think you get my point from my previous post, and I don't think I'm wrong.

I too can probably still get some useful stuff from CC, but the same "seasonal" event 3 times per year with the same loot? cmon, what's seasonal about that? Some "limited edition" items can't hurt...

nibel
02-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I want Crystal Cove back. I'm a vet, and I still don't have everything I want...

I think my argument wasn't clear enough.

I'm not against Crystal Cove loot. I love them. They are thematic, well done, and usable. Even the hats are awesome for endgame on undergeared toons.

I'm against the Crystal Cove event. I just think CC loot can be added permanently to the game (since challenge loot is on par with it), and on Three Barrel Cove, covering a major weakness on this adventure pack: lack of named loot.

If they don't want to throw away the cove map, they can add it as a challenge in 3BC wilderness zone. Or five.

djl
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Adding it to the 3BC pack is a great idea, since as you said that is probably one of the least-purchased packs. Heck, maybe once a month do I even see a 3BC LFM up. Nobody runs that because the quests involve some of the most annoying puzzles in the game and there aren't any rewards that benefit anybody.

FranOhmsford
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I think my argument wasn't clear enough.

I'm not against Crystal Cove loot. I love them. They are thematic, well done, and usable. Even the hats are awesome for endgame on undergeared toons.

I'm against the Crystal Cove event. I just think CC loot can be added permanently to the game (since challenge loot is on par with it), and on Three Barrel Cove, covering a major weakness on this adventure pack: lack of named loot.

If they don't want to throw away the cove map, they can add it as a challenge in 3BC wilderness zone. Or five.

I've asked for this myself in plenty of forumt threads BUT 3 Barrel Cove is a lvl 5 -7 quest zone {Explorer goes up to lvl 8} so basically you're looking at the min lvl 4 and 8 items only.

My characters were around these levels last year and got the lvl 4 and some lvl 8 and 12 gear. I'd like to be able to upgrade further now my characters are high enough level to do so and I'm sure there are plenty more poeple like me who didn't have the option to farm all the epic items for all their characters {or even for just that one farmer}.

Crystal Cove comes round once maybe twice a year {I don't know where you're getting 4 from} and when it does it's gone within 2 weeks max.
I don't see how this allows for everybody to get all the loot - We're not talking founder gear here, We're talking about gear that has become part of the game and a big part considering how many people you see in game wearing this gear.
Those lvl 20s that were able to farm it did so and still wear the Armour and wield the Scimitars because they're that good.
Why make it so that they become even rarer than ESoS or the ERoSS?

I'd love to see Crystal Cove all year round {challenge in 3 Barrel} but that is the complete opposite of what you're actually asking for.

Nerthus
02-04-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd prefer that the events (C-Cove, Mabar and so on) are added to the challenge pack to be permanently played by people that bought it.
Obviously next year the event should change in something else...
In this way the event is just a way to get the items without the pack and before it's released there, so it's still worth playing by everyone.
On the other hands it's not a vet thing anymore, if you joined the game recently or if you have a busy life and couldn't dedicate yourself 24h/24 to the game in THAT period of time, you still have a chance to get the items even though you have to pay the challenge pack.
Also I think that there will be a reason to pay that much for it because, imo, it's too overpriced as it is.

djl
02-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I'd prefer that the events (C-Cove, Mabar and so on) are added to the challenge pack to be permanently played by people that bought it.
Obviously next year the event should change in something else...
In this way the event is just a way to get the items without the pack and before it's released there, so it's still worth playing by everyone.
On the other hands it's not a vet thing anymore, if you joined the game recently or if you have a busy life and couldn't dedicate yourself 24h/24 to the game in THAT period of time, you still have a chance to get the items even though you have to pay the challenge pack.
Also I think that there will be a reason to pay that much for it because, imo, it's too overpriced as it is.

Good points. And considering how they recently nerfed the ability to token farm with challenges, which was the biggest reason to buy the challenges (it was much more cost-effective to buy just enough challenge tokens to get the items you needed or just subscribe to one month of VIP and cancel afterward than to buy the whole pack), that pack needs a shot in the arm.

MRMechMan
02-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Seasonal events in general need more loot when they come around each time.

The fact that mabar had ZERO new loot (still cloak, handwraps, docent/robe, YAY) was pathetic.

If Cove is coming back at least add a couple items (maybe a docent with +4 dodge, pretty please???)

nibel
02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Crystal Cove comes round once maybe twice a year {I don't know where you're getting 4 from}

From DDOwiki:

-Special preview ran on February 22, 2011.
-First round ran February 24 - March 1, 2011
-The event ran again March 17 - March 27, 2011
-A further "Talk like a Pirate" event ran 28 September - 9 October, 2011.

I'll concede you the point. The first time doesn't count.

I don't see how this allows for everybody to get all the loot - We're not talking founder gear here, We're talking about gear that has become part of the game and a big part considering how many people you see in game wearing this gear.
Those lvl 20s that were able to farm it did so and still wear the Armour and wield the Scimitars because they're that good.
Why make it so that they become even rarer than ESoS or the ERoSS?

Just throwing ideas, but what about 3BC quests dropping level 4 items on normal, level 8 on hard, and higher ones on cove challenge? The quests can randomly drop gems/doubloons, and you can buy base higher level items from the chalenge vendor.

The hats alone, being versatile as cannith crafting, can lead to everyone farming 24/7 for extra hats.

I'd love to see Crystal Cove all year round {challenge in 3 Barrel} but that is the complete opposite of what you're actually asking for.

I wasn't all clear on the OP, and please, read the first line on my sig. :)

FengXian
02-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Crystal Cove comes round once maybe twice a year {I don't know where you're getting 4 from} and when it does it's gone within 2 weeks max.

You say this because you don't have the items yet. Comparing them to eRoSS makes no sense. You can get a t3 item in one day with extreme ease :)

I agree that adding CC to 3BC would work.

But if you want to keep is seasonal, make it unique every time, at least changing some of the loot.

Uska
02-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Sorry been here longer than you and I would like to see the cove again didnt run it much before was busy doing other things but would like to work a little gear now

Uska
02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Please say we're getting Crystal Cove back - Some of us didn't get everything we needed - Some of us barely got lvl 4 and lvl 8 items.

The vets aren't the only people playing this game after all.

some of us so called vets would like it back as well plus we get new people all the time as well

My2Cents
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Please keep bringing the cove back.

- Please feel free to add to the loot but keep relatively same items as before (or better in class) as it can take more than one cove event to attain the items, and I want some for my new alts.

- I think the cove is among the most balanced of events both for myself, and to present DDO in a great light for newer players.

- Its a great way to attain items otherwise not attainable in the game. it is NOT the same as the challenges even though there are many similarities.

- What's a "vet"? Uber Items? Max Completionists? Most time played hourly? Datewise? Earliest DDO join dat? Someone who medically tends to the medical needs of pets?

FengXian
02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Am I the only one thinking that events should be unique, and that people LUCKY enough (not good enough or expert enough, or vet enough, let's leave that) to be there in that certain period should have an advantage over those who weren't?

Next CC with new items I might be too busy to play and miss some of the items so what? At least they would be different every time, I'd be ok with that.

Or at least make them different every year...and I don't say so just cause I got everything, I could really use a couple of those shortswords for example, but I'd rather lose them and see new stuff in 2012 coves.

mudfud
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
For the people arguing against Crystal Cove, you should also be arguing against the Delera Event and IceSkating from coming back.

Don't ruin it for new people or people who don't have what they want and like seeing this back.

Me personally I would love to see it/them back. Would I like to see the same items as rewards again. Meh, yes and no.

Would I like the events better if the rewards were changed to something new or the same items in different slots. SURE!

Peo
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I agree on 3BC getting Crystal Cove drops, I'd buy the pack if it did.

A quick solution to the lower level quests for higher level characters is there could be a Devil Assault like scaling.

cheekysmile
02-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I agree on 3BC getting Crystal Cove drops, I'd buy the pack if it did.

A quick solution to the lower level quests for higher level characters is there could be a Devil Assault like scaling.

That's actually not a bad idea :)

I like 3BC as a zone but have no incentive to run it whatsoever. I'm one of those weirdos who does actually enjoy running the torches in the cove, it's good to get a well oiled team together, but with the new challenges it's just so repetitive now. Would much rather quest and get the loot the more traditional way.

drathdragon
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I went to crystal cove today...

..but no party in sight

http://i40.tinypic.com/fyn0h3.jpg

nostalgia rulez !

sigh ! :.(

Cleanincubus
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Why is everyone here worried about Crystal Cove coming back, when the Risia event is coming back, yet again, on Monday? At least the Cove has the craftable hats, so people can add their own variety. Risia, on the other hand, is far more stale. IMHO, they should add at least 2-3 new items every event, and only have the events once a year (rather than 2-3 times a year). Then add another new event or 2, for the June, July, or August months. I'm not saying repeats are horrible, but repeating every event (except Mabar this year) every 4-6 months is excessive.

somenewnoob
02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Still think they should just make it a challenge type deal after doing a few tweaks. Keep the reward system and loot, just leave it up all the time so we can do it at our leisure.

Meat-Head
02-04-2012, 11:01 AM

This. I prolly play an above average amount and there is a TON of stuff I still "need" from CC. Really I only have about 3 epic t3 items and a few un-upgraded lvl 20 items. I could use 1-2 more items for my main and then there's alts which have very little or nothing in the way of CC gear. I think I've played it some every time it's been out. But that doesn't mean I ground it till I had everything! Not everyone plays like that silly billy.

So... yeah.

Sleepsalot
02-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Well I need to make some new stuff and need to do some upgrades. Risia is very old already what just got done the 16th of January back on the 6th of February.. Lag city here we come. Cove may cause some lag also but at least we can get some better gear.. Ice Games about all that is good is the snow gems. Just my take on it..

Sleeps :D :) :D

Aelonwy
02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one thinking that events should be unique, and that people LUCKY enough (not good enough or expert enough, or vet enough, let's leave that) to be there in that certain period should have an advantage over those who weren't?

Next CC with new items I might be too busy to play and miss some of the items so what? At least they would be different every time, I'd be ok with that.

Or at least make them different every year...and I don't say so just cause I got everything, I could really use a couple of those shortswords for example, but I'd rather lose them and see new stuff in 2012 coves.

I don't know if you're the ONLY one whom thinks that way, but you're probably in a very small minority. Personally, I don't like that idea at all. The amount of things in this game that already depend on chance and not time/effort are already discouraging to me. I realize that how I enjoy building my characters and their gear is completely different from how other ppl enjoy the game, so to each their own. That "Oh Wow I just got something awesome" moment for me is drastically tempered by "Oh Wow, it only took 2 1/2 years for it to finally drop for me.

However, an annual upgrade to annual or bi-annual events would not be an uncalled for suggestion.

For instance it would be fairly easy to add a few new recipes to Risia such as adding:
1. Lesser Cold Resistance
2. Cold Resistance
3. Impoved Cold Resistance
4. Minor Ice Guard
5. Lesser Ice Guard
6. Ice Guard
To Armor/robes/outfits/docents

As to Cove, well here are some off-the-wall possible additions:

Arm Cannon - (Rune Arm, of course) Description: An artificier turned pirate invented this weapon to use during ship-to-ship battles.
Lvl4 Fire Blast, Imbue Fire I, Max charge Tier II, Lesser Spearblock, Lesser Fire Resistance
Tier2:Spearblock ; Tier3: Craftable +1
Lvl8 Fire Blast, Imbue Fire II, Max charge Tier III, Spearblock, Lesser Fire Resistance
Tier2:Fire Resistance ; Tier3:Craftable +2
Lvl12 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire III, Max Charge Tier IV, Invulnerability, Fire Resistance
Tier2:Improved Fire Resistance ; Tier3: Craftable +3
Lvl16 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire IV, Max Charge Tier V, Invulnerability, Improved Fire Resistance
Tier2:Greater Fire Resistance ; Tier3: Craftable +4
Lvl20 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire IV, Max Charge Tier V, DR5-, Greater Fire Resistance
Tier2:Inherent Fire Resistance 10 ; Tier3: Incineration, Craftable +5

Pegleg Cudgel - (Club) Description: A sturdy but splintered and rusty-nail spiked cudgel. Do you realize you're holding some long gone pirate's pegleg?
Lvl4 +1 with 1d2 added pierce dmg, Balance +5, Stability
Tier2:+2 ; Tier3: Balance +7
Lvl8 +2 with 1d4 added pierce dmg, Balance +7, Stability, Disease Immunity
Tier2:+3 ; Tier3: Balance +9
Lvl12 +3 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance +9, Stability, Disease Immunity
Tier2:+4 ; Tier3: Balance +11
Lvl 16 +4 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance +11, Greater Stability, Disease Immunity
Tier2: +5 ; Tier3: Balance +15
Lvl20 +5 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance+15, Superior Stability, Disease Immunity
Tier2: +6 Infectious ; Tier3: Puncturing, Red Augment Slot
(Bare with me, I was trying to create something funny, and possibly useable by druids.)

Eye Patch - (Goggles) Description: A black silk eye patch with a very realistic eye hand painted on it. Seems it was enchanted to prevent the wearer from loosing his sight altogether. Perhaps he wisened up after one too many skirmishes?
Lvl4 Blindness Immunity, Atk +1, Lt Fortification
Tier2: Moderate Fortification ; Tier3: Wis +3
Lvl8 Blindness Immunity, Atk +1, Moderate Fortification
Tier2: Heavy Fortification ; Tier3: Wis+4
Lvl12 Blindness Immunity, Atk +1, Heavy Fortification
Tier2: Atk+2 ; Tier3: Wis+5
Lvl16 Blindness Immunity, Atk +2, Heavy Fortification
Tier2: Atk+3 ; Tier3: Wis+6
Lvl20 Blindness Immunity, Atk +3, Heavy Fortification, Wisdom +7
Tier2: Exceptional Fortification +10 ; Tier3: Exceptional Wis+1, Empty Green Augment Slot
(I was following the Spyglass as my example, also wanted a Wis+7 item in the game other than a helm.)

Gambler's Surprise - (Lt Repeating Crossbow) Description: A miniature repeating light crossbow, easily hidden for surprise attack. Bolts loaded onto this crossbow get poisoned with somekind of weakening agent ingeniously crafted into this device.
Lvl4 +1 Enfeebling
Tier2:+2 ; Tier3: Deception
Lvl8 +2 Enfeebling, Deception, Bluff +7
Tier2: +3 ; Tier3: Bluff +9
Lvl12 +3 Enfeebling, Deception, Bluff +9, Strength Sapping
Tier2: +4 ; Tier3: Bluff +11
Lvl16 +4 Enfeebling, Deception, Bluff +11, Strength Sapping
Tier2: +5 ; Tier3: Bluff +15
Lvl20 +5 Enfeebling, Improved Deception, Bluff +15, Strength Sapping
Tier2: +6 Weakening ; Tier3: Enervation(?), Red Augment Slot

How do these sound? Feel free to rip them apart... they're just ideas.

FengXian
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
The amount of things in this game that already depend on chance and not time/effort are already discouraging to me.

Well you could replace "lucky" in my post with "someone who was there when that edition of the event was on". At least throw in one or two unique items every time. Or make a few of them actually somehow difficult to obtain, although I guess the whole point of those events is to give away some good, easy to acquire items.

Yan_PL
02-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't know if you're the ONLY one whom thinks that way, but you're probably in a very small minority. Personally, I don't like that idea at all. The amount of things in this game that already depend on chance and not time/effort are already discouraging to me. I realize that how I enjoy building my characters and their gear is completely different from how other ppl enjoy the game, so to each their own. That "Oh Wow I just got something awesome" moment for me is drastically tempered by "Oh Wow, it only took 2 1/2 years for it to finally drop for me.

However, an annual upgrade to annual or bi-annual events would not be an uncalled for suggestion.

For instance it would be fairly easy to add a few new recipes to Risia such as adding:
2. Cold Resistance
4. Minor Ice Guard
5. Lesser Ice Guard
6. Ice Guard

Arm Cannon - (Rune Arm, of course) Description: An artificier turned pirate invented this weapon to use during ship-to-ship battles.
Lvl4 Fire Blast, Imbue Fire I, Max charge Tier II, Lesser Spearblock, Lesser Fire Resistance
Lvl8 Fire Blast, Imbue Fire II, Max charge Tier III, Spearblock, Lesser Fire Resistance
Lvl12 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire III, Max Charge Tier IV, Invulnerability, Fire Resistance
Lvl16 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire IV, Max Charge Tier V, Invulnerability, Improved Fire Resistance
Lvl20 Exploding Fire Shot, Imbue Fire IV, Max Charge Tier V, DR5-, Greater Fire Resistance

Pegleg Cudgel - (Club) Description: A sturdy but splintered and rusty-nail spiked cudgel. Do you realize you're holding some long gone pirate's pegleg?
Lvl12 +3 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance +9, Stability, Disease Immunity
Lvl 16 +4 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance +11, Greater Stability, Disease Immunity
Lvl20 +5 with 1d6 added pierce dmg, Wounding, Balance+15, Superior Stability, Disease Immunity
(Bare with me, I was trying to create something funny, and possibly useable by druids.)

Eye Patch - (Goggles) Description: A black silk eye patch with a very realistic eye hand painted on it. Seems it was enchanted to prevent the wearer from loosing his sight altogether. Perhaps he wisened up after one too many skirmishes?
Tier2: Exceptional Fortification +10 ; Tier3: Exceptional Wis+1, Empty Green Augment Slot
(I was following the Spyglass as my example, also wanted a Wis+7 item in the game other than a helm.)

Gambler's Surprise - (Lt Repeating Crossbow) Description: A miniature repeating light crossbow, easily hidden for surprise attack. Bolts loaded onto this crossbow get poisoned with somekind of weakening agent ingeniously crafted into this device.
Lvl4 +1 Enfeebling

yarr, they be good! I'm not usually impressed with player based propositions, but I can see some possibilities there. risia recipes for defensive lootgen gear? me like. Putting Greater Cold Resist on Deathblock Robes of Heavy fort is a bit of awesomness.

Gamblers surprise could use exceptional sneak attack/damage, just so that epic ring of the stalker from challenges wouldn't be "unique" in this aspect.

Arm cannon... Exploding fire shot isn't exactly your best rune-arm category. I'd rather see new category of rune arms, one doing bludgeon +fire damage, kind of like meteor swarm, with save-less bludgeon part, and reflex for half fire damage.

Cudgel... base damage too low to consider DPS weapon, effects not sufficient to treat as debuff/utility toy. I wouldn't give it superior stability either.

+7 wisdom goggles = win for divines, perhaps even better for monks. exceptional wisdom +1 on this item feels like too much. +3 atk bonus is underpowered tho, as we can get blindness ward goggles of attack +4 from cannith crafting easily enough, complete with guild slot.

I am not 100% sure I can consider myself a DDO veteran, but as far as cove goes:
1. I didn't get all my gear for my characters existing at the time cove was there, because of tiredness with kobolds. It breaks my heart to say that, but kobolds do in fact get old, after spending some time with them.
2. Since last cove, we had plentiful gear additions that moved some item properties around the gear, thus requiring us to update our cove hats, or making us need some items we didn't need at the time
3. I rolled new character, which obviously needs some of gear from cove (namely eCav, and eDuelist in case I'll splash rogue next life).
Those three points leave me needing moar cove gear. It would be good tho, to allow us obtain Cove ingredients (which, btw, go to collectable bags, strangely enough) in more varied way.

FranOhmsford
02-04-2012, 06:49 PM

2. Cold Resistance
4. Minor Ice Guard
5. Lesser Ice Guard
6. Ice Guard

Lvl4 +1 Enfeebling

Some great ideas - /signed with one change:

Fire is not a good idea thematically for ship-ship battles - I'd suggest Sonic as I don't know of any runearm currently that gives this.

Krell
02-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Cove is like cowbell, you can't have too much.

Yan_PL
02-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Cove is like cowbell, you can't have too much.

seems like someone has a fever...

oradafu
02-05-2012, 05:13 AM
I suggested when Mabar first appeared that if it were only to return once a year, it should have more items added to it. And I was highly disappointed that nothing was added last year.

When the Cove first appeared, I suggested that new items should be added when it returned. I can understand not adding more items when it returned the first few times (and even said so at the time), but when returned Talk Like A Pirate Day I stated that that should be the last time that no new items were added.

Why add items to these events? It's to keep players returning for something besides upgrading their hats. Currently, players that have done Cove before have pretty much ODed on the Cove (and the House C challenges haven't helped much). However, as someone else pointed out, new items have probably made hats from the previous event less useful. Additionally, since the Kobold buffs should work with the House C Challenges, people can fix/add those to their hats. But I doubt that will be enough to keep many players coming back to the Cove. I definitely saw the lack of enthusiasm for the Cove the last time it came back and the lack of items was a major reason.

Only one or two new items needs to be added to the Cove. Mabar on the other hand needs more than two items added to it. So if the Devs slacked off on adding items to the Cove, please start now with plans to add more items to Mabar.

As for adding Cove items to Three Barrel Cove, I like the idea, but I'd keep it to just the level 4 items. When the Cove returns, players then can upgrade the items during the events. As others have said, it gives 3BC a much needed boost that it's missing.

However, if there are plans to retire the Cove in the future, I have to agree with whoever suggested that the Cove should be added to the Challenge Pack. The same goes with any possible retirement of Mabar (which I really don't see happening since it has a more unique structure). Yes, the Cove thematically fits with 3BC, but the steep price of the Challenges and level structure of the Challenges makes a bit more sense, at least to me.

Qaliya
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I made epic versions of most items last time. I just want it back because it's fun.

I like running around the island killing stuff and getting the treasure maps. I like working in groups to collect the crystals. The event is more enjoyable than the challenges.. and offers better XP as well.

CThruTheEgo
02-05-2012, 09:25 AM
seems like someone has a fever...

I gotta have more cowbell!

Demaril
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
moar air eles :D

Talon_Moonshadow
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Why? can't get enough people for your "selective" raid?

bringjoy
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I missed all Crystal Cove last year and can't wait for it to reopen! There is so much awesome loot it is quite unbelievable to my eyes. Seriously, the loot from CC seems to be a gift from the gods.

If you have all you want, BE HAPPY and don't run it. That's how I feel about the ice games etc. that I *do* have all the items from. I'm glad I have them and don't have to do those grinds again but I don't begrudge others gaining the opportunity as well.

Yarrgh! Bring on the pirates!

Missing_Minds
02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

I was hoping they added "goggles" in the form of an eyepatch as we can display those on characters now.

flaggson
02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
I was hoping they added "goggles" in the form of an eyepatch as we can display those on characters now.

that sir, would be all kinds of win :cool:

on that note.... I'm definitely for adding 1 or 2 new items to the loot list... but I like what is already on there as well.... I like to create new toons... and sometimes my gear shifts around as I get new items..... Ie... I really wouldn't want to see the old items go either

Missing_Minds
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
For the people arguing against Crystal Cove, you should also be arguing against the Delera Event and IceSkating from coming back.

To a degree I am. However, this is the condition. I want more events, that way the "season" is kept "sacred" as it were, vs. thrown out on a whim.

zebidos
02-22-2012, 10:48 PM
moar air eles :D

This.....

Down to my last 4 :(

Also the XP was kinda nice.

I bet its going to come out when I move later this month and have no internet for a week though.

Kabaon
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
The problem with crystal cove is that it's like a cancer. You can chemo it, remove it, do whatever else you do to cancer, and it keeps. Coming. Back.

My issue is the lack of groups that occur when it rolls around. If it wasn't multiple times a year, like mabar, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But it isn't.

And I'm sorry if you missed it multiple times because of your kids/work/friends/vacations to warm places/wars/whatever random event you want to add in, but thems the breaks. (If I had the option to avoid it the 2nd through 4th or 5th time it came around, I would have.)

djl
02-23-2012, 12:39 AM
The problem with crystal cove is that it's like a cancer. You can chemo it, remove it, do whatever else you do to cancer, and it keeps. Coming. Back.

My issue is the lack of groups that occur when it rolls around. If it wasn't multiple times a year, like mabar, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. But it isn't.

And I'm sorry if you missed it multiple times because of your kids/work/friends/vacations to warm places/wars/whatever random event you want to add in, but thems the breaks. (If I had the option to avoid it the 2nd through 4th or 5th time it came around, I would have.)

I am still in the camp that CC should be made permanent, either by adding it to the Challenges pack or adding it to the Three Barrel Cove pack, both of which need a serious shot in the arm to be worth paying for. I am against any "seasonal" event, simply because I hate feeling pressured to play.

karsion
02-23-2012, 04:49 AM

Ok, you are burnt out on Cove, I get that. You, however, don't give a logical explanation for your "You missed out on the event? Your problem" attitude.

I am still in the camp that CC should be made permanent, either by adding it to the Challenges pack or adding it to the Three Barrel Cove pack, both of which need a serious shot in the arm to be worth paying for. I am against any "seasonal" event, simply because I hate feeling pressured to play.

Have to agree with that as even being a pretty hardcore player at my free time I hate being forced to play or risking the loot. I missed out on winter events/sales as I was unable to access the game most of December and January for example.

And yes, adding Cove to the Cove, lol, would be appropriate thematically. It would also create an incentive for many people to buy the pack (judging frm the number of LFMs for it on Orien that pack is generally avoided).

MartinusWyllt
02-23-2012, 05:53 AM

No, cancer is like cancer. Nothing in a video game is like cancer.

Perspicacity
02-23-2012, 05:57 AM
I am frustrated by the fact that when events comes around all other questing just stops. I don't have everything I wanted from CC and I am not "burned out" I just don't want to do the same quest over and over and over for 3 strait weeks. It's boring. I do hope the cove comes back as I have a character who's bank is exploding with doubloons (seriously I have over 400k between copper gold and silver). that being said I do think it comes around entirely to often. Once or twice a year max is plenty, I'd much rather see some completely new events. some suggestions might include:

A Lamania themed event in early spring/easter time
A Ferna themed event for summer olimpics
An Irian, the Eternal day event to run in may opposite of Mabar event in october (gear would most likely be positive energy / healer / heal amp focused )
An event every 4 years to coincide with the American presidential election (perhaps Daanvi, the Perfect Order themed as this event is a product of a lawful society) in which the mayor of Stomrreach is reelected, could have items like straw hats (http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/1711686/2/stock-photo-1711686-straw-election-hat-and-flags.jpg), 'flag' cloaks, docents that look like vote for me pins or outfits that look like uncle sam's suit.

Matuse
02-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Adding the Cove Even to 3 Barrel would be a horrible idea.

It would be very popular for 2 weeks, and then you'd be hard pressed to find enough people to run it. The reason it is jam packed when it is open is because it's only open for a little while.

MartinusWyllt
02-23-2012, 06:04 AM

It would be very popular for 2 weeks, and then you'd be hard pressed to find enough people to run it. The reason it is jam packed when it is open is because it's only open for a little while.

I think you're right and how challenges are run shows it.

I do like the idea of adding the level 4/8 cove items as rewards or drops to 3BC.

silvermesh
02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
my idea for the 3BC CC idea:
bundle the Crystal Cove with 3 Barrel Cove, make the island into a normal party slayer zone(but still spawn mobs based on party level), where map pieces drop(still). turn in X number of map pieces to get a compass, and use a compass to run the challenge. no server goal of X map pieces, just a lesser personal goal to run the challenge. nobody runs the explorer for dubloons anyhow. the more often they just open the regular cove event as is, the less people will participate, and sooner or later it will open as often as the damn mabar dragon.

Miow
02-23-2012, 08:13 AM
So i picked up this admiral of Bling hat from a ddo lottery...i believe it is unique and i want to slot it for my cleric(bound to him). What should i put on it....yes i said bling....

djl
02-23-2012, 08:28 AM

And that is precisely the reason LFMs suffer so much during Cove. If it were made a permanent addition to some pack or other, then people could farm it to their hearts contents and it wouldn't ruin questing for a week or two.

Combat_Wombat
02-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Basically, this. We got a replay on Cove last year. And the more a seasonal even is repeated, less value it attain. I love CC loot, but I'm a bit tired of Crystal Cove itself. Specially because we can get spammed with kobold voices on the challenges in house C.

I think cove loot, on the other hand, can be added to 3BC. Everyone know 3BC need a lot of named loot to be worthy of it cost.

please don't half-ass a 3bc update by relating it to crystal cove in any way. It is perhaps one of the worst ideas i've seen on the forums in awhile

pr0phet00
02-23-2012, 08:37 AM
please don't half-ass a 3bc update by relating it to crystal cove in any way. It is perhaps one of the worst ideas i've seen on the forums in awhile

Agreed. 3BC needs a make over, fine, but CC is best in small doses. I'll run it like a madman for 2 weeks for new toon loot and to change up some of my older builds. It's charm is that it is only here for a short time, no use turning CC into the challenges.

Kabaon
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Ok, you are burnt out on Cove, I get that. You, however, don't give a logical explanation for your "You missed out on the event? Your problem" attitude.

Well basically I feel it's more of a feeling I got from playing other MMO's, where events were one time a year shindigs. I've played FFXI, Guild Wars, and now DDO. In the first two, especially guild wars, the events would last a week or two, depending on the the reason it was there in the first place, Christmas, Halloween, etc. Most of the time the major city centers would get some kind of graphical overhaul and there was fun things to do that everyone could participate in. That being said, once it was gone, it was gone for a year, and it usually came back around the same time the next year, with new items and minor changes thrown in as to not get stale.

While I understand DDO isn't like most MMO's, in the last year or so, we've had the same event with relatively minor changes(mostly exploit), no new items, no phasing out of items, and it's been here 4-5 times. I'd be ok with it if we had new and exciting items and the old ones were slowly being phased out. I'm not exactly trying to say that if you missed the cove last year, you should be outta luck in participating, but that there should be a reason other than "It's CC, and I need my 2nd or 3rd E Ornamental Dagger" or "I want to get my hands on the Armor to raise my AC a few points from 76 to 78"*. I'm thinking more "Come see what we have changed, and have fun".

Also as someone pointed out, when something like CC happens, to a lesser extent Mabar, all questing just slows down to a trickle, or even a full out stop. I know it's not just me that wants to run normal content (in my case elite :P) but it's pretty few and far between. Now it's to be expected when it's a limited event, so I get it, but it's pretty annoying in general, but it really isn't something that can be fixed, it's just the nature of events.

*Dramatization of what people would say about CC, it is not based around real conversations.

P.S. I also get why in this time round, CC won't change, as most a group of devs are finishing up U13, while the major group are still working on MotU. I'm hoping for changes the next time CC comes back.

Matuse
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
If it were made a permanent addition to some pack or other, then people could farm it to their hearts contents and it wouldn't ruin questing for a week or two.

I'd rather have the Cove ruin other questing for a week or two than have questing ruin the Cove forever. Plus, ruin other questing is a rather sizable overstatement. There are lots of people who don't want to do cove runs when the event is running. Non-cove LFMs always outnumber the cove ones when I've looked.

Cannith challenges almost never get run that I see (at least, no LFMs show up for it), and they don't even have the obstacle of needing to collect the map pieces to open the door.

AtomicMew
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Bring on the kobolds! I'm ready! I'm ready!

countfitz
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

That is actually one of the BEST ideas I've ever heard. Add level 4 CC items as rare drops or maybe chain rewards in 3BC, then a way to upgrade them to the level 8 upgrade. That'd be awesome. It would give us a year round way to get these as decent twink items, MAKE TURBINE MONEY because CC is free, but 3BC is their lowest selling pack, and finally get people to run an interesting quest pack that nobody does because the XP is too low and there is no loot.

BTW, I'm actually excited for CC coming back though. Can't wait to get the wife all her items. Maybe make a few more for myself too.

Kambuk
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Throw the cove back in with a challenge token vendor that will let you run it once per day. When the event is on you can run it as much as you want, the rest of the time one run a day.

Kambuk