PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Thread - Servants of the Overlord

KookieKobold
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
After accidently completing the ritual, the Silver Flame has bid for you to assist them in stopping the Cult from freeing the ancient evil trapped deep underground. They send you deep into a crack in the walls of the Harbor, far down into Khyber to stop the Rakshasa and Drow from releasing an ancient evil imprisoned there, The Spinner of Shadows.

This quest would be best run with a level 16 or higher character. Feel free to leave your feedback and to discuss this quest in this thread.

sirgog
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Feedback specific to Epic difficulty

This is my new favorite quest in the game, at least on Epic difficulty.

All the fun stuff from epic VON3 (genuinely resilient and nasty mobs that aren't just HP buckets), plus Hezrous of Doom. Seriously, they are vicious.

This is not a solo-friendly Epic. Not at all. Expect to be swarmed. This is a quest where tactics matter.

More feedback when/if I finish.

There's an exploit I found which has been reported to Kookie for squashing and won't be communicated. Despite Lamannia rules (unlimited mana pots, raise cakes, etc), I've needed to use it to pass one fight solo.

OK, more details:

Soloed, using an exploit to avoid a fight I could not possibly survive solo. Used 90 store SP pots, at least 30 Supreme raise cakes (the ones that throw a store SP pot on you as well) and 3 Anvil of the Forge (for in-quest repairs), and after all that the boss was bugged - the game summoned only a regular, non-epic version of the final drow. 241 mobs killed at the end. I blew almost all of my daily 2000 TP on this quest, and that's at Lama's -90% costs for the big consumables.

The quest felt *epic* in a way that nothing I've done in ages had. Almost every fight was tough (although shrines were plentiful - I only needed so much extra mana because I had to actively self-heal. The mobs are mostly of three types:
Drow (resilient archers and casters that a monk will make short work of - ~3500hp, SR that is really high, and as a solo arcane I mostly used Acid Rain and single-target DoTs to burn them down)
Rakshasa (similar to PC Paladins - extraordinary saves, medium HP, solid melee attacks with some spells)
Demons (Jariliths, Hezrou, Hellhounds and Fire Reavers).

The Hezrou are worth mentioning. These terrors hit for ~110 (harder than nLOB, softer than hLOB), teleport, are resilient (maybe 8k HP, mid-30s SR, stellar saves) and will belt the heck out of you if you aren't ready for them.

In the quest, you travel through the caves of Khyber with a few optional side turns and a couple of forced ones, fighting the mobs in smallish quantities, until near the end you pass an obvious point of no return. After that you are assailed by massive waves of mobs. Think Weapons Shipment (20 mobs active at once), but they are CR 35+ drow, Reavers, and toward the end worse. This fight is just intense and will likely wipe groups many times until they get it downpat.

One thing seems really odd, however: This quest chain now has arguably the easiest 6-player Epic in the game (Lords of Dust), and now arguably the most difficult (Servants). This is IMO quite fine, as long as two things are done:

1) The pack remains worth running (lootwise) for players that find quest 2 too difficult to defeat.
2) Players get a fair warning before stepping into ep2 that it is an extreme challenge.

Anyway, I love this quest. Most fun I've had since wiping 10+ times when trying to beat Epic Offering of Blood when it was new.

Edit: In my run I did not see any seals, scrolls, shards or base items drop despite around 250 kills. There is no Epic Chest (but there is an end chest that might drop epic stuff, I can't tell). No tokens either - this quest really needs to drop two full EDTs.

somenewnoob
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Are all the new quests SF favor? (omg omg omg!!)

GoldyGopher
02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I ran this quest on normal with a moderately well equipped Level 17 hybrid character.

I died twice in the quest because I was lazy and didn't heal up after a fight before running into the next one.

The mobs I encountered had about 400 to 500 HP, which is double what I saw in Lords of Dust.
I think there was supposed to be some variation in AC in the mobs but with a Dex build it didn't come into play.

I did not find any traps in the quest.

The shrines were properly spaced and likely to all be used by most parties.

I completed two optional encounters.
The Optional against the Lava pit Fire Reaver was to put it nicely a joke. Yes I was on an evasion toon so my opinion may be skewed. I found the fight against the six Reavers before the Red-named far more challenging.

The second one, it at least I think it was an optional, disrupting the drow ritual, was a lot tougher, however it spawns a Green Dungeon Alert just by opening the shield. In this case the mobs plus the summoned reavers made a tough fight.

I thought the tunnels were a little too well lit for my tastes. As an example in Moria (LOTRO) I always felt my characters were underground, you just don't get that sense in this quest.

When I got to the end fight and talked to the Drow Priestess I had a couple minutes of now what? Because I was standing on the raised section with her the mobs didn't spawn below me until I stepped down. Can they be put on some sort of timer rather than a location spawn.

I found several potential exploits.
In the end fight you can use the force shields to pull a mob or selctive mobs, trigger the shield and protect yourself from other mobs.
You can anti-perch in the fight to disrupt the Drow Ritual. There is a spot by the stairs up which you can stand and the Drow, Spiders and Reavers will come to the edge and basically stand there becuase the AI locks up. You can damage them but they don't get to you.
You can anti-perch in the Spike Trap against the Reavers.

There are several spots were the walls are blank.

Both optionals gave 993 XP.
The overall XP was OKay, not great but could use a small bump.

I am hoping the loot is just a place holder for now as it was damned awful.

Overall I like the quest, nice length, not completely linear, but not like I running back to the beginning all the time to take the next passage. With some polish could be one of the best quests in game. There was no map so I cannot comment on that.

There were a couple of places I didn't explore that would have been nice to go back and visit as I seemed to guess the right direction to travel all the time.

Grosbeak07
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Ran this with a Level 20 Drow (for Irony) Cleric.

First off it was sort of frustrating without the mini-map and with the generic looking surroudings its was easy to get turned around.

This is a rather long quest and seemed about average difficulty for Level 16 (I did it on normal). It was nice to see a lot of mobs that had reflex saves, making Blade Barrier less effective at times. I also found the mobs had fairly high spell resistance, which meant I had to use enervation at times to land some spells (note my Cleric is not top of the line caster, but is above average).

I liked the fact that there are quite a few side passages to explore, but was also somewhat dissapointed, not to find something nasty waiting for me at the end of them. I also liked the vertical aspect of the quest (more like STK not Coal Chamber). Lots of optionals, chests and the shrines were well spaced.

The end fight seemed a tad easier than the rest of the quest, several waves of generic drow that didn't seem to last very long at all. Each wave should have contained at least an Orange named, if not a red named. Perhpas Elite difficulty would seriously ramp up the challenge. I bet this quest will be brutal on epic.

XP is low, its a fairly long quest, even if you zerg it. The xp should scale with the length of the quest. If you don't want to raise the xp for the quest, then consider bumping up the xp on optionals to help make up for it.

Gimpinator
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't have much time to check out this new quest, but I popped in briefly on Epic.

First fight: The spiders cannot be danced with a Disco ball: They can move in and out of it freely. They can, however, be webbed. :)

The layers of smoke in the first lava chamber are more of an eye sore than a graphical effect.

Looting any one specific item from the first chest I came across caused the window to immediately close. I loved the ladder leading to deep lava nearby though. Well played.

The first ambush was really impressive and unexpected, until I determined there was no reason to bother with the trash on the first level, and I could avoid them entirely by fighting on the bottom floor.

The first two groups of Drow would be just like any other fight if I didn't have those pesky casters spamming disintegrate in my direction. I do, however, have a secret weapon for Drow.

Gotta go!

EDIT: I noticed all the Drow vary in CR. One in particular was even CR18.

RandomKeypress
02-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Did it on normal and hard, lev 20 repeater rogue.

On normal, it's pretty boring as you'd expect, some graphical glitches as mentioned. You really do notice the increase in difficulty from the first quest though. More casters, more rakasha, more hold person...

Liked the optionals, although triggering the drow ritual when soloing isn't easy.

One thing I really dislike is having to stand and wait while people I want to kill finish their chat. Very annoying, and happens several times.

On hard, it is fun. Not much harder, but there seems to be much more mobs - you can go to town a bit more and the end fight, while not actually hard, was actually quite enjoyable (except for picking up the stragglers in each wave - can you persuade them to zerg the party a little? Trying to hunt down the little blighters is annoying).

Looking forward to giving it a go on elite, and epic if I can find a group.

I did actually enter on epic, but forgot poison resist during the first fight - I didn't last long :-)

Oh - the end fight drow triggered the attack before she was done talking the first time - I ended up hurridly finishing the dialogue whilst some drow tried to kill me. Could be annoying.

baletraeger
02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Great quest, only a few notes

- the respawning hellhounds at the final silver flame rune are CR3 is that intentional?
- the first 2 waves of enemies in the final room begin attacking before you can finish dialogueing with the priestess
- you can swim in the blue bowl of water at the drow ritual

Fun quest, a definite step up from the first

ThomasMink
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Ran on normal with my Cannith crafting event geared Earth Savant.

I had fun with this quest. Noticeable improvement over the first quest.

The optional fire reaver lord was somewhat lame. I agree with an earlier poster that fighting the reavers before him was more challenging. Perhaps adding a couple reavers in the room with him would beef it up slightly?

Pulling the lever to disrupt the drow ritual took forever.

The respawning hellhounds were noticeably weak at the one Silver Flame seal.

The end fight was interesting. I don't really read the 'evil villain speeches' like I probably should, so that bit felt like a huge stoppage of activity. Next thing I know, I'm getting swarmed by drow archers and spiders. Was an interesting battle with numerous waves of enemies that, if anything, pointed out the flaws in my casting rotation. :)

Final boss felt a bit weak in comparison to that.. I dunno.

sirgog
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
The optional fire reaver lord was somewhat lame. I agree with an earlier poster that fighting the reavers before him was more challenging. Perhaps adding a couple reavers in the room with him would beef it up slightly?

On Epic, that Reaver has a metric ton of hitpoints (maybe 80k), yet really just does not seem to do anything overly deadly. He didn't seem any more dangerous than the regular CR 36 trash reavers (4k ish HP IIRC), just higher stats.

IMO he could do with Burning Blood (Max-Empped on Epic, less metas on lower settings) to give him a unique additional threat that none of the other Reavers possess.

If you want to be sadistic, deepen the lava and give him Incendiary Cloud so players can't see and take involuntary baths. But that would just be mean.

RandomKeypress
02-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Did elite. Group started out as two monks, one wizzie, one FvS and one rogue - all level 20. Everyone seemed to have decent enough gear. First run in, the wizzie didn't turn up straight away, we ran in and the second room chewed everyone to pieces. People just went in one at a time, I think. I was going to do the red door and didn't realise anything was wrong until everyone died. Oh well.

Dropped, rebuffed, reformed, went back in and cleared through most of it without any major problems. Fire reaver optional was pretty easy. The FvS then had to go and we didn't have a healer. I summoned Albus lev 20 FvS, but he isn't even close.

Drow ritual went okay except Albus decided that swinging his big sword was more important than healing me and I got careless and got dead. The rest of the group cleared up the drow and we looted. I headed back (forgot which way we were supposed to be going) and then noticed the group was in trouble again. The reavers kept respawning after the ritual was finished and the party was spread out. Cue my second death. We had at least seven reavers up and throwing meteor swarms around - I counted them. Cakes, buff, move in as a group, kill them all and move on.

Everything went fine after that until the final fight. Not having a healer there really hurt. The fight started, but that little pocket with the drow in it is really messy - couldn't shoot through it and nor could they. We eventually waded in and got that bit clear. Around the time you have the hezrou, spiders, casters and other nuiscances up all at once, things fell apart and we all died multiple times. Eventually I ran into the drow pocket and caked myself back to the land of the living. Neither the drow, spiders nor reavers could follow me in, so it was easy enough to kill the hezrou. Then rush out, kill stuff until health is low and then run back to my hidy hole and heal. Repeat. The others joined me and we won.

Overall, you need a forge after that quest line - there's a lot of equipment damage going on.

I should say that the quest itself is great - the big groups of enemies are a joy. Just need better hireling AI. Standing in a pool of lava is not a good place to start casting mass heals. Swinging your sword is not the best option when you and your boss are dying. Shame there isn't a 'stand back and heal' button on their tool-bar.

quijenoth
02-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Fun quest.

Run it once on normal on a lvl 20 pale master.

At first I found the quest incredibly easy, even for a PM, and I passed up on many rest shrines (which seemed overly plentiful at the start. Once i got to the spider crest area however I found mana drained quite quickly and without a map spent sometime looking for a shrine. Gave up going backwards and instead continued forwards only to find yet another shrine (the first one I used) just past the spider crest door. The second half of the dungeon seemed pretty balanced on shrines however.

I'm not overly sure the use of drop downs is a good thing. In other quests, drops and ladders have been used to bypass mobs by running invis knowing that they cannot follow you up or down. Unless theres some new AI to let them follow you, I can see this becoming the normal tactic on EPIC. There are a few barriers blocking your path (spiderwebs requireing the death of spiders to pass and silver flame runes to unlock) but overall there does seem to be alot of shortcuts in the first half of the dungeon.

The drow ritual was an interesting fight. The respawning mob I had to CC while pulling the lever but once that barrier is down the fight is quite intence. Should prove a real challenge at level.

I like the multi-spider summon of the drow priestesses and the fact that they only cast death ward on themselves instead of mass. gives a PM a little more to kill :)

I had trouble targeting some of the drow archers in the ambush room (with the named drow priestess thats invulnerabe until the end. They didnt come out from the area that start in behind the barrier and they seem to require AEs since line of sight spells wouldnt hit. in fact a number of times ray targeting was an issue in this quest.

RandomKeypress
02-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Oh yes, quick question - is that strange chest past the optional door in the lava supposed to be like that? Once opened, the loot goes to whoever clicks on it first. It spawns one set of loot only, anyone can grab it and if you don't click loot all, the loot dialogue closes after clicking on one item.

If it is WAI, I'd advise caution with the mechanic - having the possibility of a unique item spawning in a chest that's up for grabs can lead to all sort of griefing and until people realise the mechanic of how it works there will be a lot of unhappy people.

LeLoric
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Ran this solo epic on my wiz. Lots of ddo sstore stuff used. Died 5 times.

This is really an exceptionally fun quest. I love the theme of really hard single battles followed by a shrine Rather than a bunch of meaningless battles with a shrine after lots of them.

Did every optional except the drow ritual one. Respawning fire reavers kept interrupting me from opening the switch.

The last fight is extremely hectic and awesome. I hate the fact that a single fight though can put you into red alert. This is one of the most idiotic things about that game mechanic is that there is no tuning in individual quests to prevent regular game play from generating alert.

As stated elsewhere end boss needs kookie to give her some free lammania xp.

I got two scrolls but no seals or shards. Tokens in the end chest are needed too.

DANTEIL
02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I went into this quest on Normal on an undergeared lvl 20 artificer with pet and fvs hireling. I agree with others that this is a very fun quest! Although it seems a major step up in difficulty from the first quest in the chain (even though they are the same lvl quest, yes?) I didn't have any major problems except for 2 places where you drop down and then almost immediately have to fight a rakshasha lord, a hezrou and a fire reaver or 2 at the same time. I died both times and used cakes/hireling to keep going. I attempted the optional to disrupt the drow ritual but it was impossible to flip that level without getting interrupted, so I gave up.

The end fight was a bit confusing at first because I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to attack the priestess and then all of these arrows starting whizzing out of nowhere and it took me a while to figure out that this was a wave-o'-mobs fight. The timing seemed a little off on the waves, but I didn't really notice any obvious bugs -- except perhaps that the priestess' shield aura thingie stayed around after she was dead. Oh, and coming back from the Reaver Lord optional I fell into the spike pit several times because the floor graphics and the angle made it really hard to tell where the pit started, even though I knew it was there. But maybe that's just me...

but all in all it was fun! and boy was I surprised to see the entrance to the next quest at the end...

Cauthey
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
The layers of smoke in the first lava chamber are more of an eye sore than a graphical effect.

...some graphical glitches as mentioned.

I noticed this as well, and almost bugged it. The room where I encountered it was where the reavers were camping out, with the lava and rock interspersed. I was leaping from one rock to another, and the screen went completely red. That was when I noticed that there was a graphical layer that I was poking my head through when I jumped. This isn't horrible, really. But, if I noticed and other players noticed - it might be worth a little more attention.

Liked the optionals, although triggering the drow ritual when soloing isn't easy.

I have a method for this. :D I'll share when I get the screencap images.

One thing I really dislike is having to stand and wait while people I want to kill finish their chat. Very annoying, and happens several times.

If this is a common problem (I believe it is), perhaps some additional voice work can be added. I realize that voice work is additional cost. But, perhaps dialog could be conveyed a little more succinctly. Or, perhaps some "play with" mobs could be thrown up in the right places to keep the player's eyes on the monologuing NPC and his/her words.

Oh - the end fight drow triggered the attack before she was done talking the first time - I ended up hurridly finishing the dialogue whilst some drow tried to kill me. Could be annoying.

- the first 2 waves of enemies in the final room begin attacking before you can finish dialogueing with the priestess

There is definitely some polish that is needed here. I managed to not complete speaking to her (I asked about the Dragonshards), yet after doing so, without her paying me a bit of attention, managed to loose 3 spiders and an archer on me. I'm not sure if she meant to do this or not.

- you can swim in the blue bowl of water at the drow ritual

I noticed this also, and almost bugged it. Then I figured, "nah, what the hey. You need to have a little swim down here with all of this heat!" :D

Pulling the lever to disrupt the drow ritual took forever.

I'm pretty sure that this is WAI. It felt like it was by design - one person work on disrupting the ritual while the others cover them. It didn't feel consistent, though, as other levers for barriers flipped instantly.

Perhaps instead if there were an altar to trash, or some other "ritual disruption" interaction that would require time, and would require being covered.

I was going to do the red door and didn't realise anything was wrong until everyone died. Oh well.

I haven't done the red door! I was looking for a key or something, but quickly reached a point of no return (jump down a pit to continue), and could not return to it. :(

What's in the door?! WHAT'S IN THE DOOR?!! :D

...and I passed up on many rest shrines (which seemed overly plentiful at the start.

I noticed this, too. For one stretch, there seemed to be a rest shrine for one single, 5-ish mob fight. Perhaps evaluate this, and make sure there aren't too many shrines too frequently right there at the beginning.

The drow ritual was an interesting fight. The respawning mob I had to CC while pulling the lever but once that barrier is down the fight is quite intence. Should prove a real challenge at level.

Wait until you see my method. :D :D :D

Oh, and coming back from the Reaver Lord optional I fell into the spike pit several times because the floor graphics and the angle made it really hard to tell where the pit started, even though I knew it was there. But maybe that's just me...

Not just you. I took a screenshot and bugged it. There are areas there that are not graphically covered with spikes that will still sting you. Perhaps a collisions pass might be necessary in this area.

I'm going to get a hold of my screenshots, and post more specific feedback aligned with my experience. :)

sirgog
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I noticed this, too. For one stretch, there seemed to be a rest shrine for one single, 5-ish mob fight. Perhaps evaluate this, and make sure there aren't too many shrines too frequently right there at the beginning.

The 'excess' shrines are for Epic difficulty. You need them there.

The whole dungeon design on Epic is a change from '8 minor fights that use a few SP each then a shrine' to '2 big fights that use a lot of SP each, then a shrine'.

Pretty much every room *can* wipe you on Epic. You won't be conserving SP with things like Mass Heal, you'll be manadump healing much of the time. The shrines support that increased intensity of fights.

Cauthey
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
The 'excess' shrines are for Epic difficulty. You need them there.

The whole dungeon design on Epic is a change from '8 minor fights that use a few SP each then a shrine' to '2 big fights that use a lot of SP each, then a shrine'.

Pretty much every room *can* wipe you on Epic. You won't be conserving SP with things like Mass Heal, you'll be manadump healing much of the time. The shrines support that increased intensity of fights.

That makes sense. And I'm guessing that the usual MO is to remove shrines as the quest increases in difficulty, not add them. Since they're absolutely essential for Epic, they seem superfluous on lesser difficulties.

Cauthey
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I ran this one, like the first in the chain, on the Normal difficulty with a probably borked, definitely undergeared Exploiter (1 Rogue, 18 Ranger, 1 Monk). I did run it solo (no hire), which did present a few challenges. Nothing I couldn't solve via the DDO Store, however.

So... NEAT hole in the harbor! Terrific! I have seen it stated by others here, and I will echo the sentiment - love love LOVE the quest-arc specific alterings to common areas.

I must also add that I noticed a bunch of ticked off Drow in House Kundarak near the transport to the Red Fens. Great touches, Turbine. Terrific!! It's this kind of storyline continuity that wins big in my heart. Shuffling around a few NPCs in public areas helps to "keep it fresh."

I enjoyed the "descent into Khyber" feeling in this quest. While I understand it's necessary to keep the players "on a path," it would be neat if this dungeon included a serpentine, labyrinth of caves and passages that took you away from the primary goal to some impending doom.

As I never did figure out the RED DOOR, perhaps this is what you have done already. Anyway...the point being is that Khyber should be chaotic - with loads of different paths to follow - not necessarily all leading you to your goal?

As I stated previously, I was confused by the early onset of multiple shrines pretty much back to back. Perhaps if these shrines must remain for the Epic difficulty, tucking them behind a nook or cranny or secret door would be a better play to alleviate the "rest shrine orgy" that I witnessed. Maybe one of those tight passageways that is a tight squeeze between some stone and spikes that leads off into nothing but fire and certain doom that I suggested earlier!

I had made a "light pass" when I didn't have enough time to play, and encountered the Drow ritual area. I quickly determined that this was an area that was designed for more than just a soloist.

However, when I was able to make my full pass, I managed rather easily to remove the barrier protecting the Drow ritual. I slayed the first reaver, and the second that spawned immediately after. Once the coast was clear, I hopped BEHIND the lever, and went to throw it.

Since throwing this lever takes time, I activate Stealth to lower my appearance profile and hopefully prevent the next reaver to spawn from seeing me. IT WORKED! :D (Can't see him well in the image because of the toolbars. Sorry, I snapped this one quick and didn't take time to set it up.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/the_elf/hiding.jpg

When the reaver spawned, he did so with his back facing me. I realize that in the shot, he's looking at me. But, he never gave me any trouble, and I was able to lower the barrier without any interference.

Turbine, take this feedback as you will. It's either 1) a clever way to get the barrier down, or 2) something that needs to be fixed. Cauthey didn't have but 3 ranks in both hide and move silently - so, he wasn't being especially stealthy.

After dealing with the irritated, interrupted Drow and their reavers, Cauthey took a quick swim to cool off...in the ritual dish! Below you'll see him doing the backstroke. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/the_elf/Swimmingly.jpg

Later, I noticed some spikes that seemed to be striking well outside of their graphical range (I believe that DANTEIL reported this as well). I bug reported this, included a screenshot that I have cropped below where you can see that I am CLEARLY not standing on spikes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/the_elf/ouch.jpg

I made my way on through the rest of Khyber, and was curious about the "airlock-like" pair of Drow control barriers. I'm not sure I understand why there are two barriers here. Perhaps something to do with other difficulties?

Anyway, I entered the room. Seeing that the Priestess was busy, I took my time scouting out the whole cavern. Pretty big. I was anticipating a colossal sized ambush. That's when I saw the archers behind the barrier.

Seeing no way to get at them, I presumed the next step would be interrupting the Priestess. I did, and only asked her about the Dragonshard collection. I broke away when a lone archer started peppering me with arrows.

When I looked, it seemed that one single archer, and 3 spiders had managed to negotiate the barrier without actually removing the barrier. Odd. I dispatched the mobs, and returned to the Priestess.

The fight was okay - I'll admit that waiting on waves at this point was a little annoying. However, probably necessary as I would not have been able to fight all at once. I made some observations about the collisions and AI here (already mentioned by others), and I suspect that this is because the quest was rushed to us, and it is known by Turbine that there are some issues here that need to be polished.

Great quest! I was daunted by the fact that this one lead right into the next. I presume that completion of Servants of the Overlord is required to gain access to the next in the chain. While I LIKE these kinds of quests (think Tangleroot, going deeper into the embedded fortification) for continuity purposes, my playtime and Real Life interruptions do not like these. I'm not sure if there's a way to add a "port you here" door in the Harbor or not. But, I figured I'd leave you the feedback nonetheless.

Thank you for the preview! I'm excited about taking all of my live toons through this! :D

RandomKeypress
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Ran again after the update. Thank you for putting the map in and convincing me that it doesn't help at all - too many layers of one thing on top of another. Oh well - the place is pretty linear apart from the bit before the spider crest door.

OP toon in on normal - has the difficulty changed at all? It seemed okay to me.

The final fight was worse - too long spent running around looking for something to kill. I loved the feeling of continual swarms of mobs in my first run - this time it was 'start fight', 'look for things to kill', 'kill', 'look for things to kill' etc.
The area where the first drow spawn still blocks missile fire.

Overall, as before, nice quest.

I_Bob
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Been away from the game for about 3-4 months, occasionally reading the forums. Saw these were up so tried them.

This one was better than the first. The art was a definite improvement. The spear pit was good. Ladder down to the lava pit was interesting. I would beef up the side tunnels with objectives other than just killing. Levers still in very improbable places, like who would actually put them there is beyond me… I like the levels going down.

Very long, unnecessarily so I thought.

A better mix of mobs but still just kill everything… And still not much need for much strategy…

Overall, better than the first, but still more of the same. There are much superior quests in this game so, again, there is hope.

junior_w
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Just finished the quest in normal with my level 18 Monk.

I like how confuse and leading to dead ends this quest can be when done for first time, like the first optional with the sealed door, I opened it and found the chest and noticed it was locked, I saw the ladder and jumped down just land inside the lava.

Another aspect I liked, is the quest leading you to more deep places as you progress.

The fights seemed appropriated to the quest level, except for the Hell Hounds that spawned with Flamefang optional, I believe they were CR5 and it's very low.

In my opinion the xp is appropriated for the length and the level of the quest.

sirgog
02-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Ran this marathon again on Epic.

The end fight still has the same exploitable safe spot, which was the only reason I got a completion.

The quest appears to have lost shrines overall (1 added, 2 or 3 removed if memory serves me correctly). These need to come back, the fights are individually tough enough that a shrine is still needed every 3-4 fights.

Except for some corrected dialogue issues, the various other bugs remain - Hellhound trash with ~250hp, and Sabriz remains literally weaker than every other monster in the dungeon.

Neouni
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Ran this normal alone on a healbot, too bad it's my old version of it without epic gear.
Was quite a challenge the ritual disturbing took me awhile, my implosion kept going through the forcefield and killing the drow.
Sabriz rinzyn kho, was piece of cake with the exploitable cave.

I used 5 major mnemonics in there.

Spiderson
03-01-2012, 03:57 AM
The quest is nice but the difference between hard and elite is way too much.

drgsldr69
03-04-2012, 03:44 AM
This chain is sup[posed to give out a list of end reward items of all the named gear after the third completion correct? My whole group ran it 3 times on Arg and we didnt get no list of items except for vender trash.

choco1212
03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Epic is a bit too easy to solo, completed now 3 times Zero pots, all optionals, however one nearly broken torc

Ritual chest, disco web and sybol of persuation, gives you time to pull the lever, dd then sneak up them and kill np

Fire reaver, pull him back to the part where the spike traps are beneath you, and he stays theres and cant hit you, ice storm, dots etc easy

Dog= dance and dot, fw etc

End fight, the mobs respawn is NOT random, once you have killed certain mobs, more respawn, knowing which to dance and leave alone helps alot, then prepare CC, then kill the next wave again knowing which to dance and not kill straight away, Dimension Door is your friend, take this option away, WILL make it an Epic Quest

My opinion, not a challenge to Epic solo, but i do love the quest and hope more drow will come in next mod....Maybe you will see some Elf Palemasters on the server :)

MrkGrismer
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
This chain is sup[posed to give out a list of end reward items of all the named gear after the third completion correct? My whole group ran it 3 times on Arg and we didnt get no list of items except for vender trash.

I am pretty sure end rewards are all vendor trash every time.

The named stuff drops in chests inside the quests, so no third-time-completion bonus.

Now we just need a vendor to let us trade in three darkstorm helms for our second Templar's Justice...

... okay, what I need... :D