PDA

View Full Version : Allow /sleep and /sit to pause all buff timers

redspecter23
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
This is just a simple idea that came to me yesterday. There could possibly be negative repercussions to adding this that I hadn't immediately thought of so I'm looking for thoughts on the idea. Basically if you /sit or /sleep you will pause all your buff timers either in quest or outside of a quest.

Lately I've been seeing people go so far as to log out mid quest to keep their buffs fresh. It seems a bit silly, but it works sadly enough. This is a close equivalent to that really, but keeps you in the game. If you have any group downtime for any reason, say waiting on people to get to the quest or a long monologue inside the quest (start of ToD perhaps?) then you can just sit through it and keep your buffs fresh. This would work on all buffs but I see it as a "ship buff extender" mainly. Also it's nice for keeping your epic DA crystals a bit longer if you're online in a group waiting for it to fill. If you have any sort of mob activity you can't really do this safely unless you're piking, but in that case I don't see how it matters much anyway. Just make sure that if you're hit for any reason, it knocks you out of the /sit or /sleep animation.

Thoughts?

somenewnoob
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I'd be for buffs not running in a public area, but they should always run in a quest.

so /not signed

Tholar
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
People logging out to keep their buffs? really? REALLY?

redspecter23
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd be for buffs not running in a public area, but they should always run in a quest.

so /not signed

Fair enough. I was hoping for a bit more info on why you feel it shouldn't be allowed in quests. I can think of a few iffy reasons myself, but so far nothing that outweighs the potential usefulness. Pikers having essentially a limitless xp pot running is the one that gives me the most concern, but as far as ship buffs and other regular buffs go, I would like to hear if that would be problematic in your opinion. I'm basically looking for an alternative to "OK, I'm at the entrance to epic lob, logging off until the rest of you get here" then a few more do it, then a few more and suddenly the first guy comes back but others are still logged out and it's just annoying.

somenewnoob

That would be one fast boot from any group I had the star in! :D

redspecter23

Yeah, in epic LoB in particular which can run over an hour including the run up to the quest. I'm seeing it quite frequently.

Silverwren
02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Pausing buffs while in a public area is a good idea, while you're waiting for a group to fill for example.

In quests, timers should run continuously.

1/2 /signed

Quarterling
02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I think pausing in public areas would be just fine. Turbine does it for exp/guild pots, why not for ship buffs?

danotmano1998
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Pausing buffs while in a public area is a good idea, while you're waiting for a group to fill for example.

In quests, timers should run continuously.

^^ This..

If you're in the quest, then they should be counting down.

Last thing I want to see is a piker coming in, sitting down, getting xp, and going on to the next quest without having to even rebuff. Plus, think what that would do for people on dual boxes..

somenewnoob
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I just see too much potential for abuse. Guy solving the puzzle? Take a knee. One guy doing jump jump part of quest while you wait? Have a seat!

Ship buffs should run out if a quest is long. If you are waiting at a quest entrance from a wilderness area......next time all run there together.

Public areas......PAUSE PLEASE! Always have hated that they run in public areas.

redspecter23
02-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Perhaps a few minor revisions?

The ability would take maybe 30 seconds before it takes effect so using it for every trivial thing would be pointless. You would have to know you'll be idle for at least 30 seconds before it's even worth it.

Second, it would have no effect on xp, renown or slayer buffs.

I agree that all buffs should pause in public areas. I suppose I'm just looking for some balanced way to create a sort of "pause button" in quests. It appears that it may have too many potential problems though.

Quarterling
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Last thing I want to see is a piker coming in, sitting down, getting xp, and going on to the next quest without having to even rebuff.

Why would a piker even need buffs if all he does is pike? :)

somenewnoob
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Why would a piker even need buffs if all he does is pike? :)

Hey even pikers like ship buffs! xp shrine ftw! :p

Quarterling
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey even pikers like ship buffs! xp shrine ftw! :p

Oh of course, how could I forget that? :o Also more importantly is the really expensive 30% exp pot; get one of those and you're set from level one to level twenty.

Ganolyn
02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, timers should pause in public areas... but only if you /dance. The rest of us need entertainment while we wait!

Enoach
02-02-2012, 02:54 PM
/not signed

We don't need to pause buffs while in a dungeon or wilderness area for any reason.

If the issue is dealing with getting everyone to a quest entrance within a reasonable time, than as a party leader take control and get everyone to the entrance area together.

I'm still mixed on the ship buff pause myself, only because we already get the great benefit of not being dis-spellable, we don't pay for them (at least not each time we take them - someone pays rent for the NPC/Shrine but its not based on how often its used).

For long quests the buffs are great for reducing start-up costs, but we should not be dependent on them. This is especially true for quests that could take longer than the 1 hour or Shroud where Part 5 will always be without ship buffs no matter how long it took you to get there.

Tholar
02-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Public area, I agree stop the timers.

In a quest or wilderness area, if you can't get it done in time you can do without the buffs.

Psiandron
02-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Gotta go with the prevailing view here, it'd be fine if the buff timers didn't run in public areas. Then we wouldn't have to go through everybody rebuffing because it took too long for the group to fill thing. :rolleyes: