PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance with a build baddly

dropofthepure
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a lvl 19 elf monk. this clearly was a mistake as he dies every quest, every quest. i didn't look into anything wiht him i didn't pre-plan a build all the way to lvl20 he was a wimsy i went with, now seeing as ddo dosn't have a race change rencarnation can anybody help out with makeing a build to go off of now?

C-Dog
02-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Altho' you seem to have made a "newbie" mistake, at level 19 you are not really asking for "newbie" advice. You might find a more veteran response if you repost in the Class/Melee subforum, here: Class/Melee sub-forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22) . (Add the "monk" tag to your first post.) Just a suggestion. ;)

Meanwhile, while you're here...

It's very easy in DDO to level a character into a dead-end. Which is why it's always advised to plan a character out fully, from the start, all the way to Level 20. I'm not saying this just to "you", drop, but to any/all newbies who read this - that they can learn from your situation.

This is the recommended tool - free to download - http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/ .

@Drop - Whether here or in the focused forum, what you need to do is list your character's current:

Ability Scores
Feats

(Also whether you've taken advantage of the re-spec Feat Quest, Lockania & Fred etc. It might be that 1 feat could make the diff - dunno until someone sees it.)

If you used the above tool, you can post in that format, or just list in order taken.

If the above look good, then it might be in your Enhancements, so add those if you want (or wait and see), just the current max. (So if you've taken Way of the Elegant Crane IV, no need to list I-III.)

At level 19, it would be painful to scratch the character entirely, but, at worst, even if it's a complete disaster a Lesser Ressurection should make it playable to Level 20 so you can do a proper True Res and enjoy the rewards of getting this far. ;)

Impaqt
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Dying in every quest is rarely the characters fault.

have you thought about adjusting your tactics?

Provide us more details on your character and perhaps we can help, but blind advice is generally not helpful.

DrawingGuy
02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
While Elf is far from a worthless race, CON is a heavy penalty to take, especially since in DDO, AC is worthless in end game so you have to have the HP. However even that should not be a factor of always dying. You may need to pull smaller groups. Attack after others have aggro (and I find this acceptable as dark monks have sneak, and light monks give the tank a hit heal). As others have said, post your build in the melee forums and people can help tell you how to fix it.

Good news is, though, that you're almost 20. You can TR your char, and with that you'll gain your monk past life, +2 build points (or +6 if you're a 28pt build), AND be able to pick a new race. Definitely plan your char start to finish before doing this so you go with no regrets. =D I will note I've made the mistake of making characters with no to-20 plans, and have thus had to re-roll every single one but my new ones.

unbongwah
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
First, it would help if you posted your build. Second, what are you able to do to un-gimp your monk; e.g., are you willing to LR/GR to redo things (depending on how bad your build is)? Third, what are your intentions for this character: do you just want to hit 20 so you can TR? Grind epics? Earn easy plat for alts? Etc. Finally, describe how you play your monk. Your issue may simply be a need for different tactics.