PDA

View Full Version : Please institute AFK Damage similiar to underwater damage

mystafyi
01-31-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm getting tired of all these afk'ers ;)

somenewnoob
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
lol ....I like it!

Silverwren
01-31-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't! :eek:

What if I'm soloing a quest and my wife needs my help? I step away from my compy for a few minutes and come back to a dead toon? :eek:

No thanks.

somenewnoob
01-31-2012, 08:14 AM
This might lead to more "I'm lagging, relogging brb" :p

Pikers gonna pike!

dredre9987
Just let me push afk'ers around and I'll be happy :) I'll find a nifty place to store em ;)

Meetch1972
/signed!

And those who afk at the start of the quest and die from it, get no xp or favor until they're rezzed!

Syllph
01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
LOL I love this idea.

Azonalanthious
01-31-2012, 08:31 AM
So I get up to go to the bathroom and come back to a dead toon even though I was in a completely safe spot while soloing a quest and was harming no-one?

Nah.

Galeria
01-31-2012, 08:35 AM
It should only apply to people in a group with more than one live person.

I like it.

If you need to tend to real life in the middle of a quest, leave party. Or take damage. I like it a lot.

The problem though is that pikers don't mind riding in your backpack or even completing the quest as a soulstone at the entrance. As long a they didn't get a late entry penalty, they don't care. So what if it costs the party 10%? Still easy XP for them.

(I'm still grumpy about 2 different party leaders yesterday who stepped into the quest and said "AFK 5/10 minutes, go ahead and start without me." Grr...)

grayham
01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Can't really tell if this is a serious suggestion. Not a good idea though, as anyone with small children would testify to.

somenewnoob
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
So I get up to go to the bathroom and come back to a dead toon even though I was in a completely safe spot while soloing a quest and was harming no-one?

Nah.

Only when in groups.

Hell I take naps during quests I solo sometimes!

grodon9999
01-31-2012, 08:39 AM
This ideal is beyond horrible. It's bad enough you have a piker, but you want him to cost you 10% XP as well from a death?

Beyond stupid.

somenewnoob
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
And in the spirit of DDO, this should only happen to melees, not to casters or people with blue bars.

:D

AMDarkwolf
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
*Equips ring of pikers action*

"K guys, afk gonna go watch a movie, be back in 2 hrs"

somenewnoob
01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
*Equips ring of pikers action*

Available for 1995 tp in the DDO store.

AMDarkwolf
01-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Available for 1995 tp in the DDO store.

OMIGOD DOn't give them ideas :P

joaofalcao
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
And in the spirit of DDO, this should only happen to melees, not to casters or people with blue bars.

:D

I can see the All Casters Reavers Fate LFMs already.

Galeria
01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Actually, forget taking damage.

If you actually set off the afk timer, it starts the late entry penalty timer ticking. So if you are AFK for 10% of a quest, you take an 10% penalty.

Walk in the door and go afk til the quest is over? 80% penalty. Pikers would still get completion and favor as well as chests if they bother to go get them but wouldn't gain experience from doing nothing.

The AFK timer does even kick in for 5 minutes so the quick bio/phone call afkers wouldn't even set it off.

Sarisa
01-31-2012, 09:30 AM
No, because of three words.

The Titan Awakes.

For those not familiar with the raid, only a few people in the raid itself have active roles. Every one else in the raid essentially has to pike, hanging off a ladder just out of range of the Titan's blasts.

Those "pikers" are important because the Titan has extreme random aggro, and he switches targets every couple seconds. Having a good number of people there means he'll often times just sit and try to range them, and NOT chase the person on the bottom pillars around making the gunner's job more difficult.

I do not object to ANYONE whose job in the raid itself is a "ladder guard" going AFK for the 10-15 minutes it takes to position and kill the Titan. Even more so if they contributed to the pre-raid.

In addition, my guild are all older players. Many of the members have children, spouses, and businesses. If something comes up with any of them, and they have to take 10-15 minutes to deal with more important matters, why should they be punished in game?

unilyte
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
This is a bad idea. Is this a problem that you have with someone going AFK in your group, or just the masses that stand around the city? How about a little more detail why you think they should take damage or an xp lose because they need to go take care of something in the real world?

If it during questing, I would suggest when forming a group to post that AFK will be at risk of being booted from the group.

No need for a down side of walking away from the game.

Willibold
01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
This is one bad idea.
As one poster said,some of us have real lives that intrude.
And sometimes shes hacked off!
Or the phone rings and its important.
Or who knows what happens.
No.Bad idea.

CheeseMilk
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
While I appreciate the sentiment I can't agree with the method.

Pikers are obnoxious when it's for no good reason, but since there can be good reasons, a blanket penalty like that does as much harm as good.

But still, screw pikers!

Now, removing the requirements to have the entire party in one area to advance the quest, THAT I can get behind.

Sarisa
01-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Now, removing the requirements to have the entire party in one area to advance the quest, THAT I can get behind.

Please!

Snitch and Misery's Peak are the worst.

Eladiun
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm getting tired of all these afk'ers ;)

I miss the old summoned monster bug. :(

Sarisa
01-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I miss the old summoned monster bug. :(

It still works with puddings from a Sundering Ooze guard/weapon. (Greater) Dispel will still free them from control.

Cyr
01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
This is a bad idea. A simple three minute without movement 'piker' flag coming up though that allows you to dismiss people while in a quest though would be awesome.

Khimberlhyte
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
You can't just drag a few mobs back to them? Recall, reform without them?

Postumus
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Actually, forget taking damage.

If you actually set off the afk timer, it starts the late entry penalty timer ticking. So if you are AFK for 10% of a quest, you take an 10% penalty.

Walk in the door and go afk til the quest is over? 80% penalty. Pikers would still get completion and favor as well as chests if they bother to go get them but wouldn't gain experience from doing nothing.

The AFK timer does even kick in for 5 minutes so the quick bio/phone call afkers wouldn't even set it off.

Dual boxers would love this.

R0cksteady
01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
No. I'm not bitter enough to want them to die and then take the XP penalty. I'll just finish up without them, then replace them for the next quest.

Autolycus
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
No. This is a really bad idea.

Personally, if I'm logged into the game, I there to play. If I wanted to pike, I wouldn't log on. However, I also take care of a disabled family member and sometimes (not often) I get interrupted while playing.

madmaxhunter
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
A lot of seriousness here today. You missed the "wink" emoticon.

Just put up a window (leader only) that says:

"player X has gone afk. Do you wish to

Kill player

Oust player

Strip player down to his underbritches so you can take a screenshot

Do nothing (wimp)"

zeonardo
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
You pike for more than 10 min and you get banned from the game, all your toons deleted, your house, car, all possessions, kidneys all goes to Turbine...

Make a Slay Piker spell!!

Dang I hate silly pikers!

Pike with more style

Tip 1: Type /sit and press jump rapdly and you will look like stuck on the same spot lagging. do it a couple times then pike away.

Tip 2: Press R (or any default autorun key) and quickly equip a heavy armor.
You will be running on the same place while the armor loads. Before it completes, walk a little, type "lag" on party chat. Rinse, repeat for a while then pike away.

glouky
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Taking damages when AFK is not a good idea, but allowing the leader to kick AFKs after a few minutes (1 or 2) would be fine.

Meat-Head
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM

Nah.

Pfffft. Take your laptop on the throne like I.... like I know that some people do.... :D

rossiza
02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Adult diapers now available in the DDO Store -Never die from AFK Again!

hmm... it does make a new store item available...

JOTMON
02-29-2012, 09:08 AM
If it during questing, I would suggest when forming a group to post that AFK will be at risk of being booted from the group.

No need for a down side of walking away from the game.

That only works if AFK'er is not in quest, once they jump in the quest they are not able to be booted and you have to reform around them.

Give the Leader the ability to boot that person out of the party and quest once the indicator shows them being AFK.
Then if someone is AFK too long the leader can kick them out of a in progress quest and get someone else in.
Would have to be based on AFK status otherwise griefing could occur with leader booting out in progress players.