PDA

View Full Version : multi server parties

morrok73
01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey all,I'm just a guy from Khyber,Was lucky enough to get the U13 loot from Kookie/404,I answered a lfm to run the 1 new quest,all newbies(lvl 20) with the u13 gear,out of 6, 5 of us were from different servers,we had a tough time with the quest on elite,no one got mad,no one rage quit it was just fun :) ,just an idea,why not have multi server events with random grouping with a decent reward,had tons of fun with people from other servers.This is just an opinion,feel free to flame me :).

Cardtrick
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
It's not that this is a bad idea, but it's not really technically feasible. The servers aren't just an arbitrary grouping of people -- they're actually different servers, with different storage. It's not like your character on one server exists in the data on another server but is just disabled -- it's simply not there. This is why to play on Lamannia you have to do a character transfer, and it can't be done too often. There's overhead involved. There's also a risk of sync issues, which doesn't matter on Lammania because the transfers are one-way and the content is all just for testing anyway.

But to implement your suggestion on live, these multi-server events would involve transferring all character data to a single server (which would then have huge performance problems, if it was even possible). Worse, the data would have to be transferred back to your home server every time you left the event and wanted to do some normal questing. I can't imagine Turbine ever doing this -- there's just too much risk of bugs/problems when repeatedly transferring character data between servers, and too much potential pain if character data is corrupted or out of sync.

morrok73
01-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Hey,thanks for the response :),to answer a few of the questions you asked.,The rewards would be on the live servers,the toons would all be created on lamm(or another server),this in no way would effect the live servers ,just a bunch of toons competing for a lil reward on live

Cardtrick
01-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Hey,thanks for the response :),to answer a few of the questions you asked.,The rewards would be on the live servers,the toons would all be created on lamm(or another server),this in no way would effect the live servers ,just a bunch of toons competing for a lil reward on live

Oh! I completely misunderstood. I thought you wanted live characters to participate in events and be able to move back and forth between them.

In that case, I actually really like your idea. So Turbine would announce this ahead of time and allow one-time, one-way character copies to the event server(s) at the start of a long weekend or something. Then you'd play on the event server to accomplish some goal, able to join up with people from other servers like on Lamannia. Any experience or items earned on the event server would be irrelevant (probably just make it impossible to earn any) since the character would not be transferred back. Instead, your success in some challenge/quest would result in a reward back on the main server. Maybe some mechanic like the challenges or Crystal Cove, where you earn a score on the event server and that score is translated to ingredients that are delivered to the parent character on your home server, which can be used to purchase a reward. We know there's already technology in place for tracking scores, since we have the challenge leader boards.

That actually sounds doable, and fun. It could be a nice way to meet some people from other servers while still being able to play your main character and receive some practical benefit.

mystafyi
01-29-2012, 03:10 AM
But to implement your suggestion on live, these multi-server events would involve transferring all character data to a single server (which would then have huge performance problems, if it was even possible). Worse, the data would have to be transferred back to your home server every time you left the event and wanted to do some normal questing. I can't imagine Turbine ever doing this -- there's just too much risk of bugs/problems when repeatedly transferring character data between servers, and too much potential pain if character data is corrupted or out of sync.

Turbine already implented something like this in lotro. seeing as the basic game engine is the same for both games, I highly doubt it would be impossible. In fact, I bet there has already been discussions about implementing this for ddo in the office.

Munkenmo
01-29-2012, 03:19 AM
Turbine already implented something like this in lotro. seeing as the basic game engine is the same for both games, I highly doubt it would be impossible. In fact, I bet there has already been discussions about implementing this for ddo in the office.

it'd be nice if there was some way to do this for mayban, and crystal cove, put the event up on lammania, let people play there without crippling any of the live servers, and just give the live accounts materials once every 24h