PDA

View Full Version : Madstones : Why do they have Potency?

TheDearLeader
01-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Since we're talking about them, anyway. And since it's obvious that it isn't desired to be a caster item by the Dev team.

Really - why the Potency? Just... get rid of it.

oradafu
01-28-2012, 02:59 AM
I believe several of the items in the game were designed as "traps" for characters. Think of all the named items that are just mediocre junk, such as various Harbor items. But the Potency on Madstone Boots I think falls more into the category that The Breeze and Nat Gann (the only Dex staves in the game)... to trick people into bad builds. Kind of like cursed items.

Ayseifn
01-28-2012, 03:11 AM
I like them on defender paladins, lots of slot consolidation and you can choose to drop/re-enter stance for the hp/str boost whenever you feel it's safe to do so. Other than that narrow niche I don't see any use for it and depending on how they're modified for U13 they might even lose that niche.

Havok.cry
01-28-2012, 05:35 AM
I always thought it was for ranger/paladin healing spells. Old (current) version for out of combat healing, upcoming version will allow them to heal in combat. That's the way I see it anyway.

Diyon
01-28-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.misfitopia.com/uploads/1250621854/gallery_1_1_5425.jpg

fuzzy1guy
01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Redacted

AMDarkwolf
01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
I think originally they were just a April fools prank thing, the dev's thought it would be funny to put that on, like as above, a trap, but truly a really evil joke.

Then when they updated, the guy who decided it got sup pot VIII was either a really evil jerk, or just was completely ignorant of what madstones actually do.

Then this new wave of 'lets make them good' changes were once again, just a 'oh we can use this as an excuse to force more ppl to try casters, MOAR POT SALES' thing.

Memnir
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Poor game design.

voodoogroves
01-28-2012, 12:04 PM
... because of the plot surrounding Madstone Crater?

I'm honestly completely ok with them as they are. One thing I'll note - there are some who can benefit ... monk finishers, for instance, are potency boosted.

FengXian
01-28-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.misfitopia.com/uploads/1250621854/gallery_1_1_5425.jpg

You mean my 10 barbarian 10 wizard "Coinflip" build relying 50% of the time on spells and the other 90% of time (yes he's russian) on rages might not be an end game build? :( But new madstone boots will make him more powerful...

CanuckWisdom
01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Potency?

Its so when they change them to allow spell casting and my pally gets a pair her heals will be big when there is no time for ardor clickie, obviously.

Ganolyn
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
No one is forcing anybody to hit the clicky. +30% (or whatever it really is) Striding, +6 DEX and Sup. Pot. VII are good enough in one item as it is for a spell caster.

Saravis
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
No one is forcing anybody to hit the clicky. +30% (or whatever it really is) Striding, +6 DEX and Sup. Pot. VII are good enough in one item as it is for a spell caster.

Someone doesn't know about the proc.

Diyon
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
You mean my 10 barbarian 10 wizard "Coinflip" build relying 50% of the time on spells and the other 90% of time (yes he's russian) on rages might not be an end game build? :( But new madstone boots will make him more powerful...

That is awesome.

Tsuarok
01-28-2012, 01:02 PM

The madstone effect has a chance to happen when you get hit as well.

It is frequent enough that even those odd caster builds who try to avoid getting hit will find themselves rather frequently unable to cast spells. Which is more often than not followed by dead.

They are definitely NOT a caster item.

Silverleafeon
01-28-2012, 02:18 PM
/signed

Ganolyn
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
The madstone effect has a chance to happen when you get hit as well.

It is frequent enough that even those odd caster builds who try to avoid getting hit will find themselves rather frequently unable to cast spells. Which is more often than not followed by dead.

They are definitely NOT a caster item.

Oh, hidden BS. No wonder I've never missed not having any.

TheDearLeader
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh, hidden BS. No wonder I've never missed not having any.

It's a very high proc chance, as well. As in, if you wear them, you *will* be Madstoned.

Does my OP now make more sense?

djl
01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
It's a very high proc chance, as well. As in, if you wear them, you *will* be Madstoned.

Does my OP now make more sense?

Yes, the proc rate seems to be somewhere along the lines of 15% to 20%

Also, something that hasn't been addressed much with the "nerf news" is that with the current plan, the proc will no longer auto-renew, keeping you semi-perm madstoned. It has to run down to 0 and allow the "Shaken" effect to take place (unless you have GH or something that prevents those kinds of duffs, in which case you won't get Shaken but it still won't autorenew) before it can renew itself. That in itself is a rather substantial nerf. Combined with everything else they were planning, this item becomes completely worthless if the proposed changes make it to live.

AMDarkwolf
01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
ya, even with the 'toned down' nerf to it, I doubt I'll be using them. The greatest benefit(and also penalty) was the fact u could keep oneself perma-madstoned and have just a tad bit more hp. The shaken debuff imo is also a reason to not wear them(I don't want to be chuggin pots constantly, and when GH isn't needed, I don't waste a scroll)

IMO I don't get why they want to make it 'accessible' in any freaking way shape or form to casters. They could have just coded all the 'non spells' to work as such rather than mess with them.

I don't care that its moral and wont' stack with rage pots, totally fine with that. I also don't mind if they dont' allow stacking with the clickie. I can live without. I LIKE the idea that I can use my clickies with it, but at the same time, I think this was not needed, I (and many, many, MANY others) have worn them KNOWING the 'costs' almost full time, and without complaint, so again, just - can - not understand why the need to 'fix' them.

Hell I'd personally want them to change them so that thy had no clickie, no potency, and the effect of madstone was a 'curse' that reapplied itself every 10 seconds and lasted 2 min. (IE U put boots on and it 'curses' you with madstone sorta like how a pally aura would) that way it would 'truly' be always on, and the cost is if u want to cast something, u HAVE to remove them for 2 min at least.

Ungood
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
I (and many, many, MANY others) have worn them KNOWING the 'costs' almost full time, and without complaint, so again, just - can - not understand why the need to 'fix' them.

Very true. Most (not all) that looted them, knew the cost of them, or found out painfully quick and either dealt with it, or trashed them.

I would rather they were just left as is. I could do with allowing pots and clickies, even if that is all they allowed. Maybe they can figure out the code for that and revise them to just allow Pots and Clickies.

That would be good too.

Vormaerin
01-28-2012, 10:40 PM
IMO I don't get why they want to make it 'accessible' in any freaking way shape or form to casters. They could have just coded all the 'non spells' to work as such rather than mess with them.

The initial impetus was to fix an inappropriate blockage in one's ability to do challenges. As we've said, no reason to nerf melee further by saying "you can't use madstone boots in 50% of the challenges".

This apparently led to the dev assigned to the task to decide that a good buff for melee would be to make the item allow the wearers (who are melee characters) to use their clickies and to let Paladins & rangers (who aren't exactly OP) to use their spells.

Nothing wrong with the reasoning. A lot wrong with the effects of the method of implementation.