PDA

View Full Version : wait.........WHAT?

Asmodeus451
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
where was this "Tier 2 Veteran Status" announced? wasn't in the release notes
edit: apparently it is in release notes and i missed it (damn you tired brain)

STARTING new toons at lvl7? WHAT?!

ok, not normally one to go down this road, but...........

dont we already have enough noobs (as opposed to newbs) running around at levels they have no right to have reached, simply cause they have access to mommy and daddy's credit card?

Saravis
01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Its obtained via 3000 favor, which isn't easily acquirable. So I don't see the issue.

Asmodeus451
01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Its obtained via 3000 favor, which isn't easily acquirable. So I don't see the issue.

(cough*cough)

Turbine is notorious for having "favor rewards" available for purchase in the store

djl

Or it can be purchased in the DDO store.

Regardless, unless they give away nice loot with it (Carnifex or something) starting at level 7 isn't that big a deal because you are trading a LOT of nice favor for that, as well as gimping yourself a bit if you planned to use an Int tome.

Tuney
At level 7... you can still teach people and carry a group somewhat easily. Doesn't start getting a bit harder til like 13 or so hehe.

Ovrad
01-26-2012, 09:43 PM

It can also be store bought (apparently at least, cause it's not there presently).

t0r012
01-26-2012, 09:43 PM
this

Players can now start their characters at level 7 with a new tier of Veteran Status! Veteran Status (7) can be earned by acquiring 3,000 total Favor or by purchasing the account option in the DDO Store.

Morosy
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
(cough*cough)

Turbine is notorious for having "favor rewards" available for purchase in the store

Yea, says that in the release notes too, at the bottom, under "Other Changes"

Asmodeus451
01-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Yea, says that in the release notes too, at the bottom, under "Other Changes"

ok, somehow i missed that one............

chalk it up to insomnia

djl
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Considering vet is 995, super-vet will probably be around 1500 or something, so if someone wants to spend that many extra points just to start a new toon with 3 extra levels even though at that point in the game leveling is super-fast (especially if you use BB), I have only one thing to say about them:

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k293991_vg67654_Shut_up_and_take_my_money-(n1294512916668).jpg

Sleepsalot
01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Maybe Read ALL of the release notes????
Sleeps :D :) :D

Other Changes

Improved the behavior of Alt+Tab when running DX10 or DX11.
Players can now start their characters at level 7 with a new tier of Veteran Status! Veteran Status (7) can be earned by acquiring 3,000 total Favor or by purchasing the account option in the DDO Store.

Asmodeus451
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Maybe Read ALL of the release notes????

see the edit of original post....

JOTMON
01-26-2012, 09:54 PM
It is asinine that Vetern status can be purchased
Vetern status should not be purchasable from the store. ever.
It should be Favor ONLY.
Earned by being tested and proven worthy.

The other part I don't uderstand is that a TR has to start at level 1, even with Vetern status.
Really????
The TR in my mind is the one that should have this option.

A newbie can purchase vetern status out the gate, and a TR has to start over on the beaches of Korthos.. really?????

Sleepsalot
01-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Ya I saw you changed it as I was making the post.. Still helps to read it all..But lack of sleep can get in the way that I know well..

see the edit of original post....

Bacab
01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
It should be Favor ONLY.

Yeah...by piking. The same way I earned it!

I seriously earned my 32 point build and Veteran Status and FVS by playing a heal-bot lol. I did *nothing* but heal. I came from Final Fantasy XI where healers healed and that was it. It wasn't until I played with a real Divine that I learned that BB and etc was so great lol.

djl
01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
It should be Favor ONLY.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it. 1000 favor is so easy to get these days that only the truly lazy or uninformed actually buy it from the DDO store. 3000 favor is a much more daunting task, but as I said earlier in this thread chances are it will be quite expensive so again people who spend TP to buy it are pretty foolish because you zip through those levels very quickly anyway.

Asmodeus451
01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
It should be Favor ONLY.

while i agree, i also recognize this will never happen.

turbine needs to make money, and for most newer players to DDO (especially those coming from certain "other" mmo's) the ability to skip over several levels is tempting enough to shell out $$$ for, not realizing that many of the critical lessons you need to learn occur in the lower echelons of the game

so as long as turbine makes money off it, it'll never happen

Sleepsalot
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
For any one thinks they should not sell this in the store> I say that is nonsense. I have 1 toon that earned it on Thelanis. So you are saying I should have to start Every toon I make on every server at level 1??? Sure thing. Never will happen First to nuy it you have to run at least 1 toon to level 4 I would hope the same goes for the level 7 tier. And after Playing as long as I have. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all.

Saravis
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
My mistake.

Still, considering that I've seen noobs at 20, this is supposed to make a difference how exactly?

Baahb3
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM

If you really think new or newish players will actually grind out that 3000 favor you are fooling yourself. It will be store bought immediatly, hell you get to skip a 3rd of the game!

What an unbelivably bad idea.

Faent
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
If you really think new or newish players will actually grind out that 3000 favor you are fooling yourself. It will be store bought immediatly, hell you get to skip a 3rd of the game! What an unbelivably bad idea.

This demonstrates zero understanding of XP scaling. Levels 2-7 do not "a third of the game" constitute.

aristarchus1000
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Honestly I think the vets need to calm down.

You don't learn anything all that useful in the first 7 levels, in my opinion. The game does start getting at all hard until 11 or so.

If a noob wants to try out a bunch of classes, and pay money for it, i'd say go for it. The hard lessons come later.

And 1/3 of Xp, Lol.

Tuney
01-27-2012, 12:44 AM
I do think there are some skills you can pick up by playing the game from level 1 then starting at level 7... Some people are quicker learners then others though and can gets said skills from the ground running.

FastTaco
01-27-2012, 12:53 AM
This demonstrates zero understanding of XP scaling. Levels 2-7 do not "a third of the game" constitute.

This demonstrates zero understanding of how many low level quests there are. Most quests under level 6 do not give much XP aswell.

Just kidding, doesn't bother me either way.

Kinda funny that a completely new player joining the game can buy veteran status though, if you look at the words definition: experienced through long service or practice; having served for a long period

Redicular
01-27-2012, 01:04 AM
dont we already have enough noobs (as opposed to newbs) running around at levels they have no right to have reached, simply cause they have access to mommy and daddy's credit card?

considering those noobs are the ones who are paying for me to play... no

anyone who spends cash to not play a game confuses me, but since someone has to pay for server maintenance, might as well part the fools from their money.

Bacab
01-27-2012, 02:00 AM
one other thing this does...

It pretty much gaurantees that ONLY TRs will be running the content from level 1-7.

I know if I roll up a new toon, it will be starting at level 7 once this goes live.

So pretty much...only the extremely new people (I am pretty sure you have to get a class to level 5 to buy current veteran status so with this logic you HAVE to get to level 8 to buy tier 2 veteran status) will be starting at level 1...and of course TRs.

This also makes me more likely to roll a quick Artificer (been wanting to check it out and this would let me hit the more important levels earlier).

And to be truthful...anything that I consider this as an "Idiot Tax" like buying Drow or Veteran status or anything like that...I like it. It gives Turbine money and that *hopefully* keeps people employed and working on updates and stuff.

Buggss
01-27-2012, 02:27 AM
My mistake.

Still, considering that I've seen noobs at 20, this is supposed to make a difference how exactly?

Yeah that.

Anyway 20 is nothing, there are plenty of equivalent lvl 40's and 60's "noobs" running around too. Won't make any difference but as long as the favour method is available to vets it won't be out of reach for anyone.

TiranBlade
01-27-2012, 02:44 AM
If it works at all like Vet Status Tier 1, you have to reach level 7 before it becomes available to purchase in the store, and can only be purchased by that character, so a newb will have some knowledge of the game by that point.

Sleepsalot
01-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Once purchased it is account wide. Can be used on any server..

Faent
01-27-2012, 06:15 AM
This demonstrates zero understanding of how many low level quests there are. Most quests under level 6 do not give much XP as well.

Please don't tell me that you're trying to defend the claim that 1/3 of the game takes place between levels 1 and 7. For your sake, I hope you aren't trying to defend that kind of lunacy.

Tolero
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
If you're looking to try the new vet status, keep in mind that you need to have leveled up a character to 7 prior to being allowed to purchase vet status to make alts.

Natashaelle
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM
If you're looking to try the new vet status, keep in mind that you need to have leveled up a character to 7 prior to being allowed to purchase vet status to make alts.

Ah ! OK gotcha, ie levelled up to 7 **on that particular server** ... :)

Thanx !!

somenewnoob
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Man, how bad is the level 7-9 pug scene gonna be........bunch of people with no idea how to play their toons....:p

Phemt81
01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Tolero WINS! :D

Ziindarax
01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

What about the favor unlock? On Orien, my main character Ziind has hit the 3k favor milestone.

Tolero
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
What about the favor unlock? On Orien, my main character Ziind has hit the 3k favor milestone.

I will double check whether it's retroactive or not (if it is, generally it requires you to go speak with Nyx)

Tolero
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok, if you already have 3k favor when the update goes live, you should be able to go speak with Nyx to receive vet status for that server. Be sure to do it with the character who has 3k favor and not an alt (Nyx can't see across all your characters... it's that pesky sunlight).

cru121
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
It would be nice if we could access Shared Bank from the Veteran ship. To eat the +1 Int tome.

grayham
01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
This change is absolutely fine with me. All the talk of "this should be earned" Seriously?!!!" I admire Turbine's sense of business acumen and reward.

-Experienced players get to skip to 7, small perk.
-Newer player with money to burn pay 1500 (?) TP for what is a small perk in the grand scheme of things.

Sleepsalot
01-27-2012, 11:01 AM
You can access the store from the Ship I don't store tomes. I just buy them as needed..

It would be nice if we could access Shared Bank from the Veteran ship. To eat the +1 Int tome.

somenewnoob
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
This change is absolutely fine with me. All the talk of "this should be earned" Seriously?!!!" I admire Turbine's sense of business acumen and reward.

-Experienced players get to skip to 7, small perk.
-Newer player with money to burn pay 1500 (?) TP for what is a small perk in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed.

Crann
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Man, how bad is the level 7-9 pug scene gonna be........bunch of people with no idea how to play their toons....:p

Worse than it is now?

Ryiah
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
as well as gimping yourself a bit if you planned to use an Int tome.

Unless you're like me and just pop a +2 Supreme Tome when you know you'll be keeping a build. Though I completely agree with making Shared Bank access available.

danotmano1998
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Meh! I say.

Let anyone who wants to start at level 7 that wants to pay for it do so!

It does not affect me in any way, other than Turbine makes $$ from the impatient. Oh, and I get to unlock that option now on my home server since I have 3K favor. (Or thereabouts).

Complaining that other people are going to be noobs and didn't earn their way the same as the oldtimers isn't going to float, IMO. Who cares what anyone else did or did not do to get their levels? It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game in any negative way. As a matter of fact, Pugging with the new players can be quite entertaining!! And hey, you can even help a newer player out and teach them a thing or two on the way.

WruntJunior
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I can honestly say I'm super-happy with this for quicker testing of new build ideas...besides, all the important lessons I learned about what not to do in DDO happened around desert and beyond. I'm sure many people share that, and to me characters aren't as much fun until ~level 10...so I'm all for Veteran Status 2. Hurrah!

Edit: Besides, saying that there would be no level 1-6 people after update 13 is like saying there's no level 1-3 people now...an outright lie. A grand majority of new people don't just buy veteran status...or even care for it for a while.

Uska
01-27-2012, 11:32 AM

you can buy it so its really easy for anyone to get.

Uska
01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Or it can be purchased in the DDO store.

Regardless, unless they give away nice loot with it (Carnifex or something) starting at level 7 isn't that big a deal because you are trading a LOT of nice favor for that, as well as gimping yourself a bit if you planned to use an Int tome.

could buy a tome via the store on the ship so theres that.

ArcaneMelee
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
When you consider how much the end game changes so drastically from the "Korthos Experience", I fail to see the problem. I kinda think that a new player would benefit more from playing a few epic quests and end-game raids before they even touched Korthos.

FastTaco
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Please don't tell me that you're trying to defend the claim that 1/3 of the game takes place between levels 1 and 7. For your sake, I hope you aren't trying to defend that kind of lunacy.

That would be lunacy, sorry my 'just kidding' wasn't as clear as I hoped!

bhgiant
01-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm ok with the idea of starting at level 7 but it worries me. The next increase in level cap most likely will be 30 and then we'll have starting level 10 etc etc. Also, starting off low and building up is a BIG part of the experience of RPG's. Especially in DDO, those lower levels really train you for higher level content, bit by bit. Just think of all those new players who will never know the joy of running WW?? Of killing hundreds of kobolds again and again. Then, when they run torches, all these crazy things the kobolds are saying have no meaning. What is this game coming to?!!?!!?

I would say in the interest of retaining new players, just make this a favor unlock. I guarantee you will lose people if their first toon gets to automatically skip to level 7. It will be better for Turbine in the long run.

Sleepsalot
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
The way it works Now to buy the Vet status for level 4 You have to get a toon to level 4 first. It is stated in this thread that to be able to buy the level 7 tier a player has to played a toon to level 7. So no one is really skipping any thing.. I have been playing since the start of April last year.. So yes I have earned the right to Buy Vet status..

I'm ok with the idea of starting at level 7 but it worries me. The next increase in level cap most likely will be 30 and then we'll have starting level 10 etc etc. Also, starting off low and building up is a BIG part of the experience of RPG's. Especially in DDO, those lower levels really train you for higher level content, bit by bit. Just think of all those new players who will never know the joy of running WW?? Of killing hundreds of kobolds again and again. Then, when they run torches, all these crazy things the kobolds are saying have no meaning. What is this game coming to?!!?!!?

I would say in the interest of retaining new players, just make this a favor unlock. I guarantee you will lose people if their first toon gets to automatically skip to level 7. It will be better for Turbine in the long run.

ArcherBarry
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Learn to read... A character will have to be level 7 to buy Veteran Status 7.
That means no one can buy it without having already gone from 1-7.
Clear?

Main use of it is so that players who have done it many times already don't have to do it again, if they don't want to.

Alexandryte
01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Keep in mind this change was added with the knowledge that the level cap would be increased to include 5 new epic levels.

Vet4 is a small drop in the bucket, however Vet7 gives a nice little boost and lets you have the first tier of a PRE even if you need to multi for a build (for instance, trap skill classes like arti and rogue should be take at the first level rather than later on if trying to splash to handle traps). Based on exp scaling its a nice little boost that is hardly the doom of the known DDO universe.

Its an option.

How often do you people make new characters that you people are worried that 1-7 content being abandoned?

Its a convenient option that like the word option implies, can be skipped.

FastTaco
01-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Learn to read... A character will have to be level 7 to buy Veteran Status 7.
That means no one can buy it without having already gone from 1-7.
Clear?

Main use of it is so that players who have done it many times already don't have to do it again, if they don't want to.

I think the biggest issue is the name of it, just because you make 1 lvl 7 character doesn't mean your experienced with the game as the term veteran implies. Gaining 1000/3000 favor would make you fairly experienced however, buying it immediately after your first toon hits 7 doesn't.

Ashlayna
01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I think the biggest issue is the name of it, just because you make 1 lvl 7 character doesn't mean your experienced with the game as the term veteran implies. Gaining 1000/3000 favor would make you fairly experienced however, buying it immediately after your first toon hits 7 doesn't.

Except we've already had one post in this thread where somebody flat out admitted to piking to favor. However, the flip side of this arguement is also true: It's not like that level 7 will be messing up somebody's Shroud run.

JOTMON
01-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Open up Vet status to TR's

Why should TR's have to suffer and restart on the shores of Korthos when they have already done it in a previous life. When a newly rolled up toon can take advantage of Vetern Status.

I bought the level 4 Vetern satus when it first came out and when TR's came out i was WT>???? A TR cannot use vetern status and start at level 4, they have to start at level 1... but but..., what is more vetern than a TR.

Aso, I think a TR1 should get Vetern status for free, a TR2 get Vetern status2 for free and start at those levels if they so choose.

Aeolwind
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Why should TR's have to suffer and restart on the shores of Korthos when they have already done it in a previous life. When a newly rolled up toon can take advantage of Vetern Status.

I bought the level 4 Vetern satus when it first came out and when TR's came out i was WT>???? A TR cannot use vetern status and start at level 4, they have to start at level 1... but but..., what is more vetern than a TR.

Aso, I think a TR1 should get Vetern status for free, a TR2 get Vetern status2 for free and start at those levels if they so choose.

I almost kinda sorta agree, except instead of level 4 or 7, the TR should get the 50k xp for 4th and whatever it is for 7 and start from there. Never happen though.

Ovrad
01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I almost kinda sorta agree, except instead of level 4 or 7, the TR should get the 50k xp for 4th and whatever it is for 7 and start from there. Never happen though.

Can my TR choose skip the last 4 levels instead of the first 4? :D I hate those last levels....

Erikanudan
01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

Coming with UD20 ... Veteran Status 3!! Start any new characters at level 11! Available via 4000 favor or in the DDO store!

Oh! And the DDO Store now has +3 supreme ability tomes on sale!

</sarcasm off>

But don't doubt it, it could happen.

Buh Bye

Uska
01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Unless you're like me and just pop a +2 Supreme Tome when you know you'll be keeping a build. Though I completely agree with making Shared Bank access available.

with tomes staying on TR you'll likely keep pretty much any character now I think .

Brinky
01-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Hehe, how about the joy of having to earn enough favor to speak to the Quartermaster just to GET IN to the marketplace from the harbor - or maybe you're new enough to not remember that??

Brinky
01-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Totally agreed, although I don't mind having the favor reward option for those who may simply not desire to TR at all.

Solmage
01-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Meh, this is fairly painless. If some noobie wants to reach level 7 without having a clue, no gear, etc it's not much worse than them reaching level 4 like that. It's only a small percentage of the game since level 7 could be reached fairly quickly otherwise.

The part however were I would personally be interested in, is if this uber-vet status started to apply to TRs, which would be fun. I dislike the first 4 levels of any character.