PDA

View Full Version : open locks

darthbbd
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I made a cleric and just hit level 2 and have already seen 4 times (in dungeon quests) where there was a secret path or door with a chest that I couldn't get to. Is it worth multiclassing 1 level of rogue to get open locks to get that stuff oir am I just missing out on more loot to vendor and I'll make plenty money later anyways?

Calebro
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Locked chests and doors come in two varieties.
1} Optional and non-essential, meaning it's full of vendor trash.
2} Quest essential, meaning there is a key somewhere for it.

There are very few deviations from this pattern, and all of those deviations occur in raids, which means you almost certainly have someone there who can open it anyway. Basically, in general questing, if you can't open it as a pure fighter/cleric/whatever, then either you don't *need* to open it or you just haven't found the key yet.

Calebro
01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
I guess I could have addressed the other portion of your question.
Those optional doors/chests certainly do contain vendor trash. But as a new player you're going to be perpetually broke for quite a while, so another man's vendor trash could be your treasure. There will come a time when you no longer need to open every chest for loot, but that time is probably quite a way off for you.
Splashing a level of rogue for OL isn't a horrible idea, but it may not be a good idea either, depending on your class. Multiclassing can prove to be a blessing if done correctly. If done incorrectly, as a newer player often does, it can be extremely detrimental to your build.
Multiclass with care.

AZgreentea
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Cannith crafting is the simplest solution to your secret door woes. If you are able, try to craft a bound version of the Secret Door Detection shard. That is a lvl 40 bound shard. If you are unable, you will need to post a request for a higher level crafter (lvl 79) to make you an unbound version.

The shard can be placed on a set of goggles, and is ML3. Its really useful in that it works without having to cast, simply equip and the door is revealed. I try to put one of these on all of my alts.

Here is a planner to help you out in the future:
http://cannith.cubicleninja.com/

Calebro
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
If you tell us your toon's name and the server you play on I'm sure someone will be kind enough to send you some Cure Pots, Resist Pots, lowbie weapons, etc to help you get started.

Seftonblake
01-26-2012, 09:32 PM
As your a cleric u may have sone charisma and umd, so u can buy wands detect secret doors.

OFC as already stated, if your on thelanis or ghallanda, please let me know ur toons names and i wil be more than happy to kit u out with items, platinum and some of my time :)

Uska
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
no and if you want to multiclass rogue your first lvl really should be rogue. you can multiclass rogue and cleric seen it work well but you need to plan from the start if you want to do so.

blerkington
01-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi,

First level should be rogue is common advice for a splash, but ...

If you take your first level of rogue, you will only be able to put a maximum of 4 skill points in any one skill. You will get more skill points overall, of course, but this is not always useful.

Taking one level of rogue at mid to higher levels would let you put all of those points in one skill or two skills, which may mean more than four points in at least one of them. If you were taking a level of rogue just for UMD (or even Open Locks), for example, you might want all of the points to go into that skill alone.

I'm not advising you to make a late splash, OP, because there are a lot of other things to consider before doing that, and it can be mistake. But I think 'first level must be rogue' has become a mantra which isn't always right.

Thanks.

Silverwren
01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Personally I feel that multi-classing weakens both classes, taking feats and enhancements away from each class that could otherwise be used to make a stronger toon. I'm not saying it can't work, but I won't do it myself.

I agree with AZgreentea. Try to make or obtain a pair of Goggles of Detect Secret Doors. They work all the time and don't need recharging. Let us know what server you play on. Someone can make you a pair I'm sure, as they're cheap and easy to make.

C-Dog
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi. As a relative newbie myself, I shared exactly your concerns, so let me address them as I would have wanted them addressed when I started out. (Which some, but not all, the above responses seem to be missing. The advice about Crafting and Detect Secret Doors is all well and good, but that really doesn't address the questions at a level that are of any immediate, practical help to a new Player.)

...I made a cleric and just hit level 2 and have already seen 4 times (in dungeon quests) where there was a secret path or door with a chest that I couldn't get to. Is it worth multiclassing 1 level of rogue to get open locks to get that stuff...
It's definitely NOT worth it after 1st level. A "splash" of Rogue, if done at all, should be done at 1st level - Rogue is all about Skill points, so you want to get the most out of the 8x4 at Level One. Splashing Rogue at 2nd or later levels is never recommended.

However, depending on your playstyle*, it could certainly be worth it to scratch this character, losing only the very few days of Korthos runs you've made, and start again with a new plan - perhaps a Cleric Rogue of some variety. It's not a popular build with the power-gamers, but it is more attractive to solo-ers and casual players. But Level 2 is nothing much to lose, and changing now and redoing those few quests won't hurt you in the long run (and you may even see some improvements you could make).

(* A Cleric-Rogue can (if built right!) be an adequate Trapper/Locksmith, but they will never be a high-powered Cleric, and will always find themselves "behind the curve" compared to pure-class Clerics. But it might be more fun that way for you, or more practical if you solo. Depends on you and what you value.)

But what is recommended, almost universally, is to plan your character out long term! DDO is not D&D, and it's very easy to level yourself into a dead end if you don't have a plan from the start.

This is the recommended tool:

DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

You can also Search for <Cleric + Rogue + Build> in the forums. There are some tried-and-true models to pattern your holy thief off of.

...or am I just missing out on more loot to vendor and I'll make plenty money later anyways?Both are true. You are missing out on some nice very-low level loot, but you will make lots - LOTS - more later. Will you miss it then?... Again, depends on you.

But, unless your playstyle or schedule demands solo play, it shouldn't be hard to find a friendly Rogue (or some Trapper) who can make a run with you. When you have the game open, hit <o> and look at Grouping. Find someone, or start your own group and advertise.

darthbbd
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
ty everybody for all the help, this really helps me plan things lot better

Ganolyn
01-27-2012, 04:40 PM
You can also buy a Bell of Opening from the DDO Store if you would rather not multiclass that will open many locked doors, but it won't open locked chests.

Autolycus
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
You can also buy a Bell of Opening from the DDO Store if you would rather not multiclass that will open many locked doors, but it won't open locked chests.

Uh, is this a recent change? I know i have used them to open chests in the past.

Ganolyn
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Uh, is this a recent change? I know i have used them to open chests in the past.

I've never used one, but it is described as a Knock Spell and I didn't think Knock worked on chests. If I am wrong, then it is a better thing/spell than I thought.

Alrik_Fassbauer
01-28-2012, 06:50 AM
a secret path or door

Some of them can be found with simple use of the skill of "searching".

You can find and craft items that support this.

But - as far as I understood it - before you can actually "find" these secret doors, you must first be able to "spot" them - which is also a skill and can also be supported.

Example : This item : http://ddowiki.com/page/Troubleshooter%27s_Goggles
You can get it as an reward from the Korthos Island quest called "Sacrifices".

You can detect and find many low-level hidden doors with it.

jwdaniels
01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
I've never used one, but it is described as a Knock Spell and I didn't think Knock worked on chests. If I am wrong, then it is a better thing/spell than I thought.

Knock works on chests.

learst
01-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Knock works on chests.

jwdaniels is correct. I've used Wands of Knock on chests before.

~Quilny
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Personally I feel that multi-classing weakens both classes, taking feats and enhancements away from each class that could otherwise be used to make a stronger toon. I'm not saying it can't work, but I won't do it myself.

I agree with AZgreentea. Try to make or obtain a pair of Goggles of Detect Secret Doors. They work all the time and don't need recharging. Let us know what server you play on. Someone can make you a pair I'm sure, as they're cheap and easy to make.

Agreed. As a cleric you should have no trouble finding a rogue or artificer to join your party as well. the main reason you dont want to splash as a cleric is you will Loose so much sp dc's and spells not worth it in my opinion.