PDA

View Full Version : ADA & Turbine

Lagin
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
I am visually impaired from a brain stem injury I suffered 2 years ago from a car accident. (people on Thelanis that know me, remember that to this day) The after effect from that injury & subsequent rehabilitation is vertigo from motion. This includes but is not limited to video screens.

I've had my DL taken away, as a result of this. And was legally blocked from registering any vehicle of any kind!

Up until 2 months ago, I had to use a fiberglass neck brace with Velcro straps to stabilize myself in a chair while working on my pc. Ive managed to rehab that aspect, and no longer need the brace.

The other issue is motion & being able to focus on small scale images that move.

I was forced to take a 6 month break from this game because of these issues. I have NEVER spoken about this here or in-game as to why I took a break! Well, now the cat is out of the bag. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of making this public, nor do I want pity.

I'm furious that after 20 or threads & posts, I have yet to see a reply by Turbine about a scalable, or larger cursor!

People complained about color blindness and changes were made. (We saw a change to the puzzle in Reaver for visually impaired people.)

Well, I'm legally disabled, and now it's my turn to speak up for my rights under the A.D.A (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I respectfully appeal to Turbine to consider my requests for a change in this aspect of the UI.

*I have been biting my tongue NOT to publish this; as every day I play I get extremely angry my posts have gone unanswered. Not only does it affect me, but the people I run with on a regular basis. You have no idea what it's like to go from a player with great skills to being asked if Im drunk, because of the lack of skills I now possess! This is not a rant, but rather a formal request*

Siftrant
01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I am not disabled and wish I could make my cursor more obvious (larger, brighter, more contrast, whatever).

dopey69
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
/signed as i have signed umteen of these threads .

I am getting older i know , I swear my curser gets harder to see every year !

making it sand colored was a great idea for dessert quests too.

i would love to change the size and the color depending on the quest

must be a tough fix i guess because we have asked for this forever and............well u know

Missing_Minds
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM
You aren't alone in your desire for this but until management realizes this is a need and not a want, chances are it won't happen.

As for A.D.A. I'm no legal expert at all, nor do I make light of your case as you know, but I don't think ADA could be used against them given they are offering a private service, you are not hired by them, and the "use" of their "facilities" is limited to that of your own computer/connection.

You stand a much greater chance of getting Management to make changes by pointing out the larger screens that are used now compared to when the game was released. Widescreen 23"+ vs 4:3 19" when the game was released, and the huge, (I mean HUGE) screen resolutions that people can run at, all while the cursor has stayed small.

It is getting harder and harder to find that dam thing as it camouflages itself to well to most all of the backgrounds of the game.
It is seriously becoming a need anymore for these changes.

Point in fact.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=358614&highlight=resolution
Where the heck is that guys cursor, huh?

it is a long shot, but maybe you could get Madfloyd's attention here in this thread where they are talking minimum resolutions
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=357183

dkyle
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
More UI options would always be better, but how much have you tried using keybindings? I almost never use my mouse to select things in the heat of battle; just for mouselook. If I really had to, I'd think I could set up even more bindings to avoid mouse use almost entirely. There are 100 keybind-able hotbar slots.

redspecter23
01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree that we need more cursor options in general. Often I'll cast an Ice Storm only to lose my cursor among the fast moving white bits on the screen. Options to change the size, shape and color are long overdue.

Edit, I think keybindings can help, but only to a certain extent. I'll find my mouse occasionally drifting. If it happens to drift off onto a part of my screen that has UI elements on it, my attacks stop dead in their tracks. For some reason I can't attack if my cursor is hovering over a UI section on my screen. Highly annoying.

BruceTheHoon
01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I support your appeal.
It is my opinion, that such matters should be top priority.

Lagin
01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Edit: I am not using my status as leverage. Im merely stating my position. being disabled does allow me certain latitudes to make public my needs and concerns. I have contacted my local gov counsel on this before I posted. If I were to make a legal stand, that would require outsiders to get involved. which I would never do. I'd quietly leave before that happened.

You aren't alone in your desire for this but until management realizes this is a need and not a want, chances are it won't happen.

As for A.D.A. I'm no legal expert at all, nor do I make light of your case as you know, but I don't think ADA could be used against them given they are offering a private service, you are not hired by them, and the "use" of their "facilities" is limited to that of your own computer/connection.

You stand a much greater chance of getting Management to make changes by pointing out the larger screens that are used now compared to when the game was released. Widescreen 23"+ vs 4:3 19" when the game was released, and the huge, (I mean HUGE) screen resolutions that people can run at, all while the cursor has stayed small.

It is getting harder and harder to find that dam thing as it camouflages itself to well to most all of the backgrounds of the game.
It is seriously becoming a need anymore for these changes.

Point in fact.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=358614&highlight=resolution
Where the heck is that guys cursor, huh?

it is a long shot, but maybe you could get Madfloyd's attention here in this thread where they are talking minimum resolutions
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=357183

MM you should know me well enough to know, I would never use anything against the RoC here. Nor would I lay claim to the statement you made about not working for them Things can get taken out of context because pf replies like that. (I know what you meant, but others might not)

More UI options would always be better, but how much have you tried using keybindings? I almost never use my mouse to select things in the heat of battle; just for mouselook. If I really had to, I'd think I could set up even more bindings to avoid mouse use almost entirely. There are 100 keybind-able hotbar slots.

Not the issue, Ive tried all these things, and so many more, client side as well. Thanks I appreciate the constructive input.

Quarterling
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
It's too bad that you can't customize your cursor in the UI art pack, wish Turbine would make it possible to do that. Anyways, sounds like a good idea and why not?

Missing_Minds
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
MM you should know me well enough to know, I would never use anything against the RoC here. Nor would I lay claim to the statement you made about not working for them Things can get taken out of context because pf replies like that. (I know what you meant, but others might not)

As soon as anyone mentions any "legal" thing, statements start to get taken out of context.

That is why I suggested try the resolution angle. Heck, I need to try something on my own system tonight. I just got curious about something.

katz
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I am visually impaired from a brain stem injury I suffered 2 years ago from a car accident. (people on Thelanis that know me, remember that to this day) The after effect from that injury & subsequent rehabilitation is vertigo from motion. This includes but is not limited to video screens.

I've had my DL taken away, as a result of this. And was legally blocked from registering any vehicle of any kind!

Up until 2 months ago, I had to use a fiberglass neck brace with Velcro straps to stabilize myself in a chair while working on my pc. Ive managed to rehab that aspect, and no longer need the brace.

The other issue is motion & being able to focus on small scale images that move.

I was forced to take a 6 month break from this game because of these issues. I have NEVER spoken about this here or in-game as to why I took a break! Well, now the cat is out of the bag. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of making this public, nor do I want pity.

I'm furious that after 20 or threads & posts, I have yet to see a reply by Turbine about a scalable, or larger cursor!

People complained about color blindness and changes were made. (We saw a change to the puzzle in Reaver for visually impaired people.)

Well, I'm legally disabled, and now it's my turn to speak up for my rights under the A.D.A (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I respectfully appeal to Turbine to consider my requests for a change in this aspect of the UI.

*I have been biting my tongue NOT to publish this; as every day I play I get extremely angry my posts have gone unanswered. Not only does it affect me, but the people I run with on a regular basis. You have no idea what it's like to go from a player with great skills to being asked if Im drunk, because of the lack of skills I now possess! This is not a rant, but rather a formal request*

It's too bad that you can't customize your cursor in the UI art pack, wish Turbine would make it possible to do that. Anyways, sounds like a good idea and why not?

/signed. that arrow is just so darn tiny! i frequently have to move just to spot it.

dkyle
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Not the issue, Ive tried all these things, and so many more, client side as well. Thanks I appreciate the constructive input.

I'm confused then. If the problem is the mouse cursor, then wouldn't eliminating the need for the mouse cursor during gameplay by using keybindings, mitigate the problem?

I don't mean to tell you how to deal with your disability, or suggest that you shouldn't expect help from Turbine (I think they should add more UI options, including scaling), but my perception is that my quality of gameplay wouldn't diminish very much if my ability to track the mouse cursor were greatly diminished, and it wouldn't take much for me to work around it. I'm wondering if there are things I'm doing that might be useful to you.

For example, I disabled my Caps Lock, and instead use that key as a modifier key. Along with Shift and Ctrl (I put shield block on Alt), I have 3 modifier keys available. By using those modifiers, I have over 40 hotbar keybindings accessible without moving my left hand away from WASD, or my right hand off my mouse (which is a fairly conventional one, with wheel-click, forward and back buttons), that I can use in the heat of battle.

Lagin
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm confused then. If the problem is the mouse cursor, then wouldn't eliminating the need for the mouse cursor during gameplay by using keybindings, mitigate the problem?

I don't mean to tell you how to deal with your disability, or suggest that you shouldn't expect help from Turbine (I think they should add more UI options, including scaling), but my perception is that my quality of gameplay wouldn't diminish very much if my ability to track the mouse cursor were greatly diminished, and it wouldn't take much for me to work around it. I'm wondering if there are things I'm doing that might be useful to you.

For example, I disabled my Caps Lock, and instead use that key as a modifier key. Along with Shift and Ctrl (I put shield block on Alt), I have 3 modifier keys available. By using those modifiers, I have over 40 hotbar keybindings accessible without moving my left hand away from WASD, or my right hand off my mouse (which is a fairly conventional one, with wheel-click, forward and back buttons), that I can use in the heat of battle.

OK, thanks again for the reply really.
I guess I should clarify this, my hand/eye coordination is very low. I recently bought the Razor Naga mouse with the built in hot bar key pad to eliminate as much "hand work" as possible. When the vertigo kicks in, I cant find simple keys like the average person can. So, as much as your input makes sense, I'm not able to utilize basic keyboard functions like I used to. It's almost comical how I have to keeps the keyboard, mouse & my hands in a static position to play!

On a lighter note, every time I log in, and see the ESRB message, I laugh. :eek:

falcon2030
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
This topic may not be covered by A.D.A. from a legal standpoint or it may(I am no legal expert). But in my opinion, I think it would be a great show of Turbine to consider folks with disabilities and adress these issues as a professional courtesy to show that they are a company willing to work with those with dissabilities (as they already have with color blindness).

On the same point also remember just because they may not respond doesn't mean they aren't listening (reading in this case). There are many examples of posts going without response but issues being adressed by Turbine.

And good luck in coping with your new station in life, you seem to have the right attitude.

My2Cents
01-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Please excuse the brief reply and any typos, I am very interested in this topic but have only a few minutes.

I have at many points in the past and continue to advocate for those differently abled and "visually impaired". I have also in the past and continue to make Turbine aware of the growing number of older and disabled people as a viable market for their software, as these people can often dedicate a great deal of their time to building a good game community and can generally afford monthly subscription fees although for the most part cannot afford fancy equipment such as very expensive PC's and peripherals. Speaking for myself, I would also guess that many of these people might have some constraints that some groups might not accept, and so might solo more often, have more difficulty in timed quests, or be more careful in how and when they find groups, which alters the game experience as well and should be taken into account in design decisions.

I have seen mentioned by at least one member of the Turbine staff that attention to colorblind issues will be taken into account, although that was a long time ago, and I found my request for modification of the rainbow in Rainbow In The Dark to have not been responded to, and in fact there was a lot of criticism by other players who do not understand the needs of some people.

I myself wish to avoid legalistic discussions, as in my experience the adversarial approach will not generate a positive result as quickly or effectively as convincing the company that attention to these matters is in their best interests both financially and from a public relations standpoint. I have even considered creating a forum where people with specific needs or issues related to this or other games could find a common voice, but I have seen other attempts at forums which haven't gone far.

Recently, I saw a prototype for a new Challenge Tree, and it had a bright background, which prompted my concern for the future expansion in terms of high-contrast interface needs for certain visual imparments, and I suggested that one way to deal with some needs is through skins to the UI. I am confident that Turbine will at least consider design feedback, perhaps by being sure that the expansion is skinnable. I am not sure if skins can solve the cursor problem, I don't know enough about skins. I guess I should learn more. I do know that most applications load their own mouse cursors rather than attempt to read/replicate the system cursor in all of its variations. This is why DDO, like most other applications, probably doesn't replicate your system settings but loads its own "cursor".

I am a member of this community, do not wish to discuss my own issues at this moment, but I do remain committed to the cause and am eager to participate in discussions and actions in support of making DDO (and other aspects of the online community) more user-friendly to people who have visual, and other "difference" from the norm.

Ganolyn
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't see why it would be so hard to put a check box in the UI section of the Options menu that says "Large Cursor" that makes the cursor three to four times the size it is now.

Mirthgar
01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I think this thread would be best put into "Suggestions" so I'm moving it there so it gets more views from engineering teams et al.

Lagin
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
I think this thread would be best put into "Suggestions" so I'm moving it there so it gets more views from engineering teams et al.

Thank you

fuzzy1guy
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Redacted

Ungood
01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
/signed and supported

Lagin
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Wow that sucks.

And i agree. There should be cursor size and color options.

However the ADA does not have anything to do with this at all. Turbine has no obligation in an form to comply with it.
And i'm kind of disgusted you went that route of calling up the lawyerese bs to get your point across.
You should try reading the ADA. Because wrongly claiming stuff like that applys does not help anybody.

You didnt read my other posts bro. (I would suggest you do before flaming me) I called them to ask how to go about things without getting any legal beagles involved.

Limey
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I would also like a bigger curser, due to the fact I am getting older and easily confused.

danotmano1998
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
/signed

Not because of any phsical, mental, or spiritual disabilities.
Simply because as it stands now...

THE CURSOR IS TOO SMALL!

Krelar
01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I would have no problem with and even hope that they decide to make a variable sized cursor but it looks like it has already been decided that ADA does not apply to online video game.

http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/Disabled-Gamer-s-Access-Suit-Doesn-t-Play-in-Court.html

Lagin
01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I would have no problem with and even hope that they decide to make a variable sized cursor but it looks like it has already been decided that ADA does not apply to online video game.

http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/Disabled-Gamer-s-Access-Suit-Doesn-t-Play-in-Court.html

Thanks! I was told of something along these lines, but never followed through with it.

+ 1, muchly appreciated.

Havok.cry
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
/signed

barryman5000
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
/signed

Has been an issue with my wife.

Now is an issue with my new monitor that supports higher resolutions.

I feel sorry for those that have visual impairments because I have enough issue dealing with the cursor with my normal sight.

stainer
01-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I recently got a new computer with a higher resolution monitor. At my advanced age I can no longer find my curser until I have pulled several things off my hotbar. Usually my healing spells. Please think of the pugs.

/signed

Ancient
01-26-2012, 01:28 PM
/signed, this should be a no-brainer and hopefully pretty easy to fix

The real question is will the fix break hand-wraps or bags :0

krackythehoodedone
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
/ double signed

One because i support the OP

Two because i frequently lose the ''durn'' thing when i need to click on stuff usually in extremis. I then have to waggle my mouse about for a few seconds trying to find it.

Uska
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
hopefully they can do this for the people who it would help there is no real reason I can for see them not to.

Lagin
01-28-2012, 03:34 AM

OK, looks like you people swept yet another of my threads under the carpet!

Lagin
01-28-2012, 03:39 AM
And to drive this point home. YOUR "other" game has a different code engine, and employs a built-in changeable cursor via skins.

CheeseMilk
01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I fully support this idea.

azrael4h
01-28-2012, 02:24 PM
/signed, no reason not to place larger cursors in, for whatever reasons they may be needed or desired.

~Quilny
01-28-2012, 02:38 PM
/signed

I agree with you 100%

GeneralDiomedes
01-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I would LOVE the option of a larger or high contrast cursor for 2-boxing .. I sometimes lose sight of where it is moving quickly between screens .. especially during hectic moments.

So,

/signed

EDIT - may want to change the thread title .. had no idea what this was about and had to read a bunch of preamble to get to the point.

smatt
01-28-2012, 02:45 PM
/Signed

There SHOULD be more options for cursors, for many reasons. I can't see how this could be a time consuming issue to implement. It's likely just one that has never made the list. :o

DeltaBravo
01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
/signed

a larger mouse cursor or change the color on it would be awesome.

dodger72
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
/signed

Phemt81
01-29-2012, 07:07 AM
/signed

More customizable options = always better :)

Alrik_Fassbauer
01-29-2012, 08:12 AM
/signed - for bigger mouse cursors !

Vermissa
01-29-2012, 08:17 AM
/signed

Ausdoerrt
01-29-2012, 08:49 AM
/signed of course, always for more options.

As for your specific problem OP, I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the cursor to be bigger as part of a custom UI skin?

RTN
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a good idea with literally no downsides.

My specific suggestions: 1) a slider to control scale of cursor; 2) a color palette for cursor color; and 3) allow skins to change cursor shape/color/size.

twiliteslayer02
01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
/signed

Lagin
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
::

MadFloyd
01-29-2012, 12:08 PM
/read

/signed

I am visually impaired myself. I use a 37" TV at work and a 40" at home. HDTVs run at 1920x1080 so my cursor remains legible (as opposed to buying a large computer monitor where the resolution goes up making icons & text smaller).

And no, MadFloyd isn't saying 'buy a larger monitor'. ;)

I have no idea how difficult it is to support a larger cursor but I'll investigate.

Lagin
01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
/read

/signed

I am visually impaired myself.

I have no idea how difficult it is to support a larger cursor but I'll investigate.

Im running a 32" & 22" off of a gtx580 vcard, And yeah, I can play around in a lot of ways, but for example, when ice strorm is cast, Im lost at any res.

You are the man! (even if you are a pats fan)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/th_wishcake.jpg?t=1296182348 (http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/?action=view&current=wishcake.jpg)

And thank you BIG TIME for the reply!

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/animated/th_happydance.gif?t=1279131749
(http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/animated/?action=view&current=happydance.gif)
(http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/animated/?action=view&current=happydance.gif)

dopey69
01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
/read

/signed

I am visually impaired myself. I use a 37" TV at work and a 40" at home. HDTVs run at 1920x1080 so my cursor remains legible (as opposed to buying a large computer monitor where the resolution goes up making icons & text smaller).

tytytytytyty *happy dance* *dreams of red strobe light cursor*

Jastron
01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Excellent Madfloyd, happy to see somebody is looking into this. I have been losing my cursor for years now, sometimes it turns me into a "curser" when I accidentally close my healing hotbar in the middle of a fight like Stainer mentioned. ;)

BitkaCK2
01-29-2012, 02:30 PM
/read

/signed

Best news since druids.

bitkaCK2

WanderingGrump
01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
/signed

I've brought this issue up myself and would love the ability for Turbine to at least just pass through and use the built in Windows cursors if they don't want to mess with their own for accessibility. I also keep hoping MadFloyd gives us a "Let's Talk: UI" thread eventually too.

At my age that dinky little cursor is hard to find on my 24" screen!

cdbd3rd
01-29-2012, 03:22 PM
/read

/signed

/Salute.

Customizable between 2 or 3 sizes, preferably.

Missing_Minds
01-29-2012, 03:30 PM
/read

/signed

DDO has one of the farkingest smallest mouse pointers I've ever seen.

It is even smaller than the default windows one!

Which is only going to get harder to see as resolution size goes up, but screen size remains the same.

If I could easier grab shots of video showing mouse size, I'd show you how much space windows uses compared to DDO compared to Champions Online. Their mouse is tripple windows normal, and in my opinion should be the standard size, and honestly at times I'd like one even larger.

TiranBlade
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
/Signed with my full support, anything to help players of any ability, disability or playstyle is a win in my book.

Phemt81
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I use a 37" TV at work and a 40" at home. HDTVs run at 1920x1080

*fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap*

:D

(thinking how much cool DDO must be on that devices, don't want anyone misunderstands here lol)

stainer
01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
/read

/signed

Are you and Majmalphunction having some kind of "Lets see who can be the most helpful" bet?

Lolth thinks you are slightly ahead.

ALL HAIL!

Agarwaen
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd love a bigger cursor too. I have no impairment and great eyesight, but I still lose my pointer on occasion. I'm playing on a 24" monitor, at 1920 x 1200 iirc. That cursor is tiny, and often gets lost in the heat of battle.

Silverleafeon
01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Yes, sometimes I try to click on a hotbar, but have to wiggle the cursor all over to find it.

TempestAlphaOmega
01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Please make this happen ASAP.

I and others have mentioned this in other threads.

This is by far the biggest issue I have the UI, I loose the dang mouse pointer and can't find it, even after I start moving it around like a madman. It blends in (at least for me, color perception challenged individual) and it is way to small.

Having the option to make it larger would be great, being able to change its appearance would be another plus.

rfachini
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
/signed /supported /begging Devs to implement

I'm not disabled, I have a 30" monitor, and I sometimes loose valuable seconds trying desperately to figure out where the heck the darn cursor is. Please help.

FYI on previous systems I implemented Windows' function that puts an animated circle around the cursor when you press control. I haven't tried this with DDO but it could be a temporary help.

Hoglum
01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
/yeah signed.

I too get blamed for being drunk.

It's just that at the beginning of the night the screen is crystal clear.

Then as the night goes on it gets blurry like some evil wizard cast a spell to protect the monsters.

Then comes some sort of displacement as a second screen appears and I find myself unable to ascertain which monitor is the real one.

danotmano1998
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
/yeah signed.

I too get blamed for being drunk.

It's just that at the beginning of the night the screen is crystal clear.

Then as the night goes on it gets blurry like some evil wizard cast a spell to protect the monsters.

Then comes some sort of displacement as a second screen appears and I find myself unable to ascertain which monitor is the real one.

Just drink more, wait until there are three monitors, and then focus on the one in the middle.
Or get rid of that evil wizard..

Oh, and a HUGE THANK YOU to the dev post. This would be an excellent addition. Bigger cursor! Yes please. Yes.

thundla
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
/signed

Jandric
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I am not disabled and wish I could make my cursor more obvious (larger, brighter, more contrast, whatever).

This.

bvermeul
01-31-2012, 03:42 AM
/signed on the bigger cursor. Using a full HD 18,3" laptop at the moment, and often can't find the cursor. Very annoying in a big fight, especially if I don't have a spell hot-keyed.

GLand_Clickyclack
01-31-2012, 05:56 AM
/signed
Please listen to us visually impaired. I bet if Shade had poor vision this would of been addressed a long time ago.

Dark_Helmet
01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

It took them how many years (reported in 2006) to implement some of the changes to help the colorblind out?

A video game is all about motion, so there isn't much that can be done there to get rid of dancing balls, ice storms, etc. as it would be like a colorblind person like me asking for 3D sterograms to be redone so i can see them.

But, things like large cursors, better highlights / selections, etc. would certainly be within the grasp. I mean, they did redo the vitals bar for no reason other than they thought everyone liked to look at a representation of the character by default (I guess they thought people might forget what race / sex their character was?)

Asmodeus451
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Size is only one of the factors IMO

the other is contrast.

some things, especially the cursor, are hard to distinguish because they follow the same general color scheme as the rest of the game. this causes it to blend in with the background. While that's great for immersion, it is not so good for those with vision problems.

i would suggest an option in the UI settings along the lines of "High Contrast Cursor" or something like that with several different options (a stark white, dark black, heck even bright purple or lime green.)

Roderickus
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Many times have lost sight of my cursor due to it's weak display. I can't even imagine how hard it is for you.

/signed

furbyoats
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
/signed

I am not visually impaired and sometimes, with all the graphics blasting on my screen, I have trouble finding the cursor. More options would be great.

Komitulek
02-06-2012, 03:06 AM
/signed

Even on a 24" 1920x1200 screen I am constantly losing the tiny, dull cursor. This will get worse if I buy the 30" 2560x1600 I am drooling over.

As I say as often as I get the opportunity to, UI design is one of the top 3 things that make or break a game.

Several different sizes and a full colour palette to choose from would be excellent, as a lime green or hot pink arrow 2cm (3/4") across is a LOT easier to see than a teeny little grey smudge in the middle of an Ice Storm. Heck, when the sleep deprivation kicks in, it's hard to see the default cursor while standing motionless at the bank and leaning close to the screen.