PDA

View Full Version : How can we make groups form up faster?

Seikojin
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I think if there was some matchmaking-like ability added to the lfg and lfm features, it would really allow people to jump in and pug up.

I was thinking something like, auto-search results based off lfm settings. Or lfg can have an lfm autojoin checkbox. If you meet the requirements for the lfm, it auto sends a join request. Or prompts the user if they would want to join so and so's group.

ArcaneMelee
01-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I think if there was some matchmaking-like ability added to the lfg and lfm features, it would really allow people to jump in and pug up.

I was thinking something like, auto-search results based off lfm settings. Or lfg can have an lfm autojoin checkbox. If you meet the requirements for the lfm, it auto sends a join request. Or prompts the user if they would want to join so and so's group.

Wait, so you want to automate the blind-invite-spamming? Gawd, no.

Here's another approach.

Use the text portion of the LFM to...

1. indicate what type of people you are looking for.
2. indicate what type of leader you'll be
3. how long it's going to take to get started.

For example, "BYOH, don't release, leaving in 5" works wonders for me.

DavionFuxa
01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I see a few potential problems for this. One is that Turbine can't program every single thing a group leader might want, leading to people automatically joining groups where they may qualify for what the leader has set, but not what the leader wants. A second problem is that this would require a lot of tedious setting adjustment for any leader looking to form a group. Some leaders don't even select the quest or the quest difficulty when they do.

If it was toggable for group leaders then many would probably toggle it off as well because they want to see who exactly is joining; either because there are some people they have blacklisted or because they want to myddo them to check things like fortification or hitpoints first.

Seikojin
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Wait, so you want to automate the blind-invite-spamming? Gawd, no.

Here's another approach.

Use the text portion of the LFM to...

1. indicate what type of people you are looking for.
2. indicate what type of leader you'll be
3. how long it's going to take to get started.

For example, "BYOH, don't release, leaving in 5" works wonders for me.

As much as putting up a good LFM is, it will still require the leader of the LFM to potentially find members for their group.

I know I am not the only one who logs in, sees LFMs that say nothing or are for level ranges that don't fit, etc, then log off. And that is a big deterrent from enjoying the new content.

I am just trying to have more options added to the game to make it more accessible to people like me, who logs in, no guildies available, no groups up that fit, and logging out because forming a group would take more than a half hour.

Seikojin
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I see a few potential problems for this. One is that Turbine can't program every single thing a group leader might want, leading to people automatically joining groups where they may qualify for what the leader has set, but not what the leader wants. A second problem is that this would require a lot of tedious setting adjustment for any leader looking to form a group. Some leaders don't even select the quest or the quest difficulty when they do.

If it was toggable for group leaders then many would probably toggle it off as well because they want to see who exactly is joining; either because there are some people they have blacklisted or because they want to myddo them to check things like fortification or hitpoints first.

I think those who would toggle it off, would be leaders more inclined to write a lfm with information to weed out what they don't want.

Also, as a side effect, you wouldn't have to ask for someone to join to reset an instance. They would auto-join and then you thank them and kick them. :)

Oh yeah, I see those things being issues as well. But having it something people can turn on and off makes it so it is a minor issue at worst. It doesn't have to be defaulted to on.

Kmnh
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
say "BYOH" or "taking the first 5/11" and it fill more quickly :)

Seikojin
01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
To help make it more specific, they could also hadd a checkbox for the lfmer side: completed quest before. This way, it checks their records to make sure they have completed the quest before. Essentially, you could add a bunch of culling options to the lfm system, but I think some way to bring lfgers and lfmers together would do a world of good for the game.

chodelord
01-22-2012, 02:00 AM
want groups to form faster? add in Heal spell potions, and make hirelings smart enough to heal at max range rather than at "up your butt" range

BlackSteel
01-22-2012, 11:34 AM
make a good rep. for yourself on your server and your groups will fill just fine

ArcaneMelee
01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
As much as putting up a good LFM is, it will still require the leader of the LFM to potentially find members for their group.

I know that many people use the Social Pane's "Who" tab to see who is online, and send out blind tells asking if they would please join.

The people I run with don't do that - and when I'm in a PUG with someone who does that, I politely excuse myself and drop group.

It's one step above blind invites - it's not as rude, but I still don't like it.

I know I am not the only one who logs in, sees LFMs that say nothing or are for level ranges that don't fit, etc, then log off. And that is a big deterrent from enjoying the new content.

I am just trying to have more options added to the game to make it more accessible to people like me, who logs in, no guildies available, no groups up that fit, and logging out because forming a group would take more than a half hour.

I don't understand - what's the difference between the system automatically throwing you into one of those groups, and you taking the time to click on one of them?

I don't see how your proposed solution would help.

Xeraphim
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
There was an LFG tab back in MOD 1-2 that worked VERY well. It posted all the players currently LFG and their respective comment beside their Race, Class(es) and Level icons.

Just bring that back to the Social Panel.

Something that does need to change is the following: Currently there is no way to know if an applicant is an Adventurer, Champion, Hero or Legend.

Xeraphim
01-22-2012, 09:23 PM
make a good rep. for yourself on your server and your groups will fill just fine

I never have grouping problems, probably for that reason, but I note that there are grouping problems that I have discussed with newer players on occasion and with those on the Reincarnation levelling path.

It's probable that the Legend XP penalty is simply too high and needs to be rescaled (especially when the levels advance past 20). The Hero path is a bit steep for certain builds but not a problem for others.

MeliCat
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
To help make it more specific, they could also hadd a checkbox for the lfmer side: completed quest before. This way, it checks their records to make sure they have completed the quest before. Essentially, you could add a bunch of culling options to the lfm system, but I think some way to bring lfgers and lfmers together would do a world of good for the game.

I like what you're trying to get going and I don't think others have caught the idea.

For a new player grouping can be very intimidating. Such promptings could be very helpful.

For old timers, as has been said, they would turn this feature off ASAP.

Think of the newbies guys!!! As people are leaving this game for other things and just general life, we need to foster an environment that is welcoming and easy to get going for new starters as possible. The number of times I almost quit because DDO seemed so lonely and closed off away from me. But then I would meet someone friendly and it was fun again. Grouping is probably one of the worst aspects when you're starting out. But it's one of the ways people are most likely to *stay*.

azrael4h
01-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Something that does need to change is the following: Currently there is no way to know if an applicant is an Adventurer, Champion, Hero or Legend.

There is no need to know if a character is a TR or not. There are ancient Crit Rage Barbarians still floating around out there, loaded with insane gear but still 28 point builds.

Forzah
01-23-2012, 04:50 AM
There is no need to know if a character is a TR or not. There are ancient Crit Rage Barbarians still floating around out there, loaded with insane gear but still 28 point builds.

Your example doesn't provide good reasoning for your statement. Who cares about a few 28pt build crit rage barbs? I'm more scared of players simply rejecting all 28pt builds, no matter what. It would really make life hard for F2P'ers.

MRMechMan
01-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Automating the spam invite?

gonna go with /not signed

If a leader is gonna spam invite at least make them do it themselves.

Simplesimon1979
01-23-2012, 05:14 AM
I think the op is asking for something like what WOW has with it's random dungeon finder. It works well there just cause there isn't as much customizing. Two lvl 20 rouge are going to be pritty similar since the base stats are all the same, but in DDO two rouges can be built vastly different.

Talon_Moonshadow
01-23-2012, 07:19 AM
I find just taking the first five who hit join works well for me.

If that takes to long I just take the first two and go get some hirlings. :cool:

fonoi
01-23-2012, 07:30 AM
I think the op is asking for something like what WOW has with it's random dungeon finder. It works well there just cause there isn't as much customizing. Two lvl 20 rouge are going to be pritty similar since the base stats are all the same, but in DDO two rouges can be built vastly different.

I agree, it is terrible to log into two to three chars and there are no decent LFM's up or none at all for your level range.

Would be interesting if they added a few "quests" that you could queue for, they could even make them daily quests so you could play them once a day for max xp and then everytime after that in the same day you get reduced xp.

gloopygloop
01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
One thing that I would like to see is a kind of "LFM notification" where you can pick a couple of quests and you'll get an automatic /tell when an LFM for one of those quests appears.

If I'm solo farming, I'd be delighted to hop out of the quest and jump in to a Master Artificer or LoB. Each of my characters has a few specific quests that I'd like to run and I don't really know the quests well enough to lead them myself, so having somethign that would let me know when an LFM for that quest appears would be a very handy feature.

JasonJi72
01-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Many are poorly written and / or the level range is inappropriate for the quest. Assign the highest level for max xp that you are looking for, and take 3 under. Keep the bravery streak in mind as well.

Byoh and In Progress usually fills fast and almost always gets a healer.

I just grab the first one or two and go. If others join, it is a bonus. Sometimes I will save the last spot for a healer or hireling, especially if there is a barbarian in the group, or if the quest is difficult enough to warrant one.

More often than not, I just put something comical up. "Bring your own keyboard... I am using mine".

Never try to put together the perfect party, especially for a chain.

If somebody underlevel requests to join your group, they can probably handle themselves better than some of the random 'higher level's' in your pug.

For me, this is a fun social game. If the group is not fun, it is one run and done for me. Sometimes it takes a couple groups to find a fun one. I would rather wipe with a group that is having fun, and laughing about it than play like it was work and get a completion.

oganos
01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
One thing that I would like to see is a kind of "LFM notification" where you can pick a couple of quests and you'll get an automatic /tell when an LFM for one of those quests appears.

If I'm solo farming, I'd be delighted to hop out of the quest and jump in to a Master Artificer or LoB. Each of my characters has a few specific quests that I'd like to run and I don't really know the quests well enough to lead them myself, so having somethign that would let me know when an LFM for that quest appears would be a very handy feature.

/SIGNED!! for an auto notify. I would love to be able to mess around in wilderness areas or what have you and not miss that group I've been looking for since logging in.

Seikojin
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM

I think that is a great idea!

I like what you're trying to get going and I don't think others have caught the idea.

For a new player grouping can be very intimidating. Such promptings could be very helpful.

For old timers, as has been said, they would turn this feature off ASAP.

Think of the newbies guys!!! As people are leaving this game for other things and just general life, we need to foster an environment that is welcoming and easy to get going for new starters as possible. The number of times I almost quit because DDO seemed so lonely and closed off away from me. But then I would meet someone friendly and it was fun again. Grouping is probably one of the worst aspects when you're starting out. But it's one of the ways people are most likely to *stay*.

Bolded the part that I think a lot of people run into, new or old. They log in, see nothing up, solo some stuff, or maybe log out. Having something that allows them to autofind/join would help relieve the problem.

Cauthey
01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
There are independent chat channels on your server. Find them! :)

Then:

Gauge interest via those channels for the quest/raid you wish to run.
Post the LFM. Use plain language, or commonly accepted acronyms to describe your adventure of choice.
Share in independent channels that your LFM has been posted.
Gently (and emphasis on GENTLY) spam different public area zones ONCE: "xyz group forming! PST, or hit the LFM."
???
Profit!

Your groups will fill faster using this method. Also, it helps TREMENDOUSLY to gain some cred for being a reasonable and fair player and a competent group/raid leader.

MeliCat
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
There are independent chat channels on your server. Find them! :)

Then:

Gauge interest via those channels for the quest/raid you wish to run.
Post the LFM. Use plain language, or commonly accepted acronyms to describe your adventure of choice.
Share in independent channels that your LFM has been posted.
Gently (and emphasis on GENTLY) spam different public area zones ONCE: "xyz group forming! PST, or hit the LFM."
???
Profit!

Your groups will fill faster using this method. Also, it helps TREMENDOUSLY to gain some cred for being a reasonable and fair player and a competent group/raid leader.

A total newbie has next to no hope in finding those chat channels. Your suggestion is way off base for the point of this thread. Really this idea is for total newbies only, or very casual players, or very shy players to whom the concept of finding chat channels would be like trying to visit the moon. People responding to the OP as if they're a noob I think are missing the point.

Here is a system that (YES YOU CAN TURN OFF BECAUSE YOU"RE NOT INTERESTED) that is available for the new, the shy, the people who like random crazy, the educators.

It doesn't necessarily have to be optimal. Just *something* to help grouping. If we be default 'on' for any account created after a certain point in time. People in the know not interested would quickly turn this default option off.

For those of you going simple "/not signed" do you have any other suggestions for new players, casual players and shy players? Can you see that grouping is one of the best ways we have of getting people to stay with DDO?

justagame
01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Except at odd hours, I usually don't see problems filling groups. I think part of the problem is the perception many people have about what a "filling a group" means, such as:

* Exactly six players
* Exactly one "healer", no more, no less
* One caster
* If there is so much as a single trap, one rogue
* At least one "tank"

If you have 3 people and think you can handle the quest, GO! Heck, I learned the game in a guild of 4 RL friends, so we short-manned a lot of stuff even without uber gear. Sometimes we ran with 2 or 3. Running a challenging quest on elite? Sure, wait for a better balanced group. But I simply don't get the number of groups standing around waiting to start ordinary quests, that have 4 or 5 people in the lfm already. Or a WF caster, paladin, and a couple of rangers waiting for a "healer" to start tangleroot. Just quest! Playing the game with a small or (gasp) imbalanced group is fun -- and certainly more fun than standing around in a tavern for half an hour waiting for a 6th to join up.

Ungood
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
You want groups to fill faster?

Remove the fact that Hires take up a group slot, and make them count as "Pets" that we can control.

No.. really.. I am serious about this. One of the things that kills groups is healing ability, or the lack thereof.

Some divines don't want to join groups because then they are expected to be heal bots, and new players simply do not have the funds to self heal via pots or scrolls.

So making hires count as "pets" in a group allows additional spots to be filled with any ol' class or combo.

Ergo: making "BYOH, first 5", not only fun, but easily doable and enjoyable, even for first life newbs and vets would enjoy this too, as it would let anyone who joins be able to take care of themselves. No more babysitting, or at least, less of it.

MeliCat hit the nail on the head, Social Dynamic is what makes a game a keeper, not graphics, or combat, but running with friends and new people. Chatting, and just getting some fun on with other people, to share a game with them as they share a game with us.

Or just is just my humble opinion on this.

Cauthey
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
A total newbie has next to no hope in finding those chat channels. Your suggestion is way off base for the point of this thread. Really this idea is for total newbies only, or very casual players, or very shy players to whom the concept of finding chat channels would be like trying to visit the moon. People responding to the OP as if they're a noob I think are missing the point.

I really want to disagree, here. But, I see your point.

Would it not be enough to type into General chats in the Marketplace and Harbor:

"Hey, everyone! I'm looking to get in on some of the custom chat channels on this server. I have an interest in finding groups quickly. Are there any channels that would allow me to join?"

?

I guess many of those channels are exclusive by design. I just know that since getting in on a couple of these myself, grouping and raiding has become a breeze.

ArcaneMelee
01-24-2012, 11:50 AM
It doesn't necessarily have to be optimal. Just *something* to help grouping. If we be default 'on' for any account created after a certain point in time. People in the know not interested would quickly turn this default option off.

I honestly don't understand the difference between checking the "automatic-join-any-group", and actually clicking the LFM yourself. The only things I can come up with are...

1. Indecisive - can't make up your mind which one to join
2. Insecure - being declined is no fun
3. Tired - pressing "O", switching to the LFM panel, and scrolling through the list is too much.

Seriously, just click the group. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that they accept you.

Alternatively, put up your own LFM - odds are pretty good that there are plenty of people out there just like you - make them feel welcome.

zeonardo
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
When I'm down on lfm options, I tend to create a lfm for a fun quest that people enjoy.
When you have a good group together you can suggest other quest in the series/house/area/theme. Most of the time, 1 or 2 will drop and you just need to fill those spots.

My usual lfm messages, with my self sufficient divines are:
- Pikers Welcome
- New Players Welcome
- Free Elite Favor for Pikers
- Come scale the dungeon so I can have fun
- Fun times
- You don't need to know it
- I can solo it. (making fun of other lfms looking for "healer")
- I will put for roll whatever I pull (for good named loot quests)
- Hand holding if you need
- Bored. Entertain me

I play for fun and I'm a Good Guy Greg.

Ungood
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
"Hey, everyone! I'm looking to get in on some of the custom chat channels on this server. I have an interest in finding groups quickly. Are there any channels that would allow me to join?"

You and I both know that this would lead to a million and one guild invites, with people saying things like "Join a guild that groups" or ask on guild channel. or more commonly "join our guild, we have members", etc, etc, etc.

While, I will admit, that might not be a bad thing if they get in a friendly guild that can help them out and get them on their feet, for many however the first line to getting a group is /g.

But yes, for those in small guilds, channels are really the way to go, if you can find them and are willing to ask the right questions.

MeliCat
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I honestly don't understand the difference between checking the "automatic-join-any-group", and actually clicking the LFM yourself. The only things I can come up with are...

1. Indecisive - can't make up your mind which one to join
2. Insecure - being declined is no fun
3. Tired - pressing "O", switching to the LFM panel, and scrolling through the list is too much.

Seriously, just click the group. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that they accept you.

Alternatively, put up your own LFM - odds are pretty good that there are plenty of people out there just like you - make them feel welcome.

Just to make sure you know where I am coming from: I am now in a small very active guild who has a channel with a lot of friends in it and we do quite a bit through that channel. What I am thinking of is the times when I started which would be the same scenario as if I was casual all the way through. VERY intimidating putting up an lfm. First MMO too. Couple that with simply trying to learn the basics of the game and I was really not very suited to almost lfms up anyway. On from that I was in a large guild but excluded from the raiding channel that most of them used and playing outside their timezone most of the time anyway so again reliant on lfms. It is still intimidating to put up an lfm.

Maybe you don't understand this because you're a confident player? I would suggest though that there are new players and casual players that don't have this confidence and such suggested groupings prompting would be really helpful.

@Cauthney I don't think I ever read general chat these days as I am in 6 channels (2 accounts) unless I'm soloing and curious. But if I'm ever on another server I will do so. It's really not the way to get groups together. Although very new people that's what they'll see I guess. But it's still the equivalent of an lfm pannel really in that you need to talk and negotiate grouping.

There is also the LFG flag. When I used it nothing ever came of it. Maybe there is a way of making those people more prominent and the education of the use of that tag more obvious to new and casual players

Cauthey
01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
@Cauthney I don't think I ever read general chat these days as I am in 6 channels (2 accounts) unless I'm soloing and curious. But if I'm ever on another server I will do so. It's really not the way to get groups together. Although very new people that's what they'll see I guess. But it's still the equivalent of an lfm pannel really in that you need to talk and negotiate grouping.

I think this, perhaps, has always been a problem. Some of the veterans get sick of Harbor and Marketplace drivel, and thusly tune it out all together.

I guess I'm just different. :p I actually enjoy cutting up in General Chats, and make a practice of doing so every time I can.

Just not too long ago I met up with a couple of newish players. They were hawking in the Harbor General Chat saying that they needed a rogue for Waterworks. I was Rogue 1 / Barb 2, and answered their call. And we had a BLAST! They were a little awed at my gear as I was tearing everything up. But, it was very enjoyable, and I got to impart a little bit of knowledge along the way. :D

MeliCat
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I think this, perhaps, has always been a problem. Some of the veterans get sick of Harbor and Marketplace drivel, and thusly tune it out all together.

I guess I'm just different. :p I actually enjoy cutting up in General Chats, and make a practice of doing so every time I can.

Just not too long ago I met up with a couple of newish players. They were hawking in the Harbor General Chat saying that they needed a rogue for Waterworks. I was Rogue 1 / Barb 2, and answered their call. And we had a BLAST! They were a little awed at my gear as I was tearing everything up. But, it was very enjoyable, and I got to impart a little bit of knowledge along the way. :D

It's called having sufficent bandwidth. If people have guild, party, tells and userchannels all feeding into the one window (I do but only 2 of the channels) that's a lot of chat. And you don't want to miss an important instruction or signal (so in Abbot I'll also include the 'say' channel. I remove 'loot' though). It's just too much. When I am on a different server with no userchannels then I have bandwidth for General chat.

If you read the forums a lot of servers have a come all ye userchannel you can get hold of. Joining large guild also helps. As people get to know and like you you may also be invited to join their channels - or you could ask. You can start your own easily enough. But most established players have the channels that they are in or else don't use channels. It's all about networking really - like life I guess lol. A newer or casual player won't have this or be able to know about this (although you could argue that 'General' is the userchannel for the new I guess).

I just think something that is more active in collecting rather than requiring a new or super casual player to initiate would make it much easier for groups to happen for those players (yes with an opt out for those who don't want it)

ArcaneMelee
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Just to make sure you know where I am coming from: I am now in a small very active guild who has a channel with a lot of friends in it and we do quite a bit through that channel. What I am thinking of is the times when I started which would be the same scenario as if I was casual all the way through. VERY intimidating putting up an lfm. First MMO too. Couple that with simply trying to learn the basics of the game and I was really not very suited to almost lfms up anyway. On from that I was in a large guild but excluded from the raiding channel that most of them used and playing outside their timezone most of the time anyway so again reliant on lfms. It is still intimidating to put up an lfm.

Maybe you don't understand this because you're a confident player? I would suggest though that there are new players and casual players that don't have this confidence and such suggested groupings prompting would be really helpful.

Actually, in RL I'm very shy and retiring :D It's only because I've been playing longer than my join date indicates that I come across as confident - it's amazing how much of an impact knowing quests inside and out has on your confidence in leading.

While I would encourage people to post their own LFMs, I understand that taking a leadership role when you don't know what you're doing is extremely daunting. That's understandable.

The part I don't understand is the reluctance to click on the groups that other people have formed. Truly, the worst thing that can happen is that someone accepts you into their group just so they can taunt and ridicule your build. That happened to me once... if it bothers you, it's pretty easy to drop group and /squelch add [player name].

Seikojin
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
It really is as simple as we all say, but at the same time, it hardly is as effective as an automated system.

I can't count the number of times I clicked to join an lfm and get nothing for over 3 hours. Or click an lfm, get into the group, then have to wait for hours while the group sits to form.

I used to form groups every time I logged in. I am trying to take a break from being the pointman for everyone.

Not being the leader, or being the one who drives formation and whatnot, brings this glaring issue I would like fixed. With an automated option. :)

Enoach
01-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Here is the problem with an automated system... People would have to use it correctly.

That means actually using it, and filling out the criteria.

As it stands, people still have difficulty using the LFM system with its automated setting levels. Do we really want Dev. time spent on something that can be solved through social methods?

MeliCat
01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
It really is as simple as we all say, but at the same time, it hardly is as effective as an automated system.

I can't count the number of times I clicked to join an lfm and get nothing for over 3 hours. Or click an lfm, get into the group, then have to wait for hours while the group sits to form.

I used to form groups every time I logged in. I am trying to take a break from being the pointman for everyone.

Not being the leader, or being the one who drives formation and whatnot, brings this glaring issue I would like fixed. With an automated option. :)

"taking hours to fill" is another issue that needs to be knocked on the head as soon as possible for new players.

The starter scenario is a party of 5 not 6. People should be encouraged to start questing with say only just 2 people. It's bizzarre how people wait for ages to fill. How do new players get into this mindset? I remember waiting hours for the group to fill also.

People should be introduced to the concept of hireling healers sooner - maybe an NPC that steps them through the hiring process as a one off for the first time in the Korthos area - with pointers to many other different types of hirelings and a couple of vendors where they can get them.

Also with the balanced party thing. Many quests can be done without a rogue for example. You may have to be a little more careful but it's possible. We need to knock that out of newbies ASaP too.

licho
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I dont think social panel, or lfm needs rework or upgrade.
I hardly ever has problem with grouping, its always like:
- Tap O, check if is any lfm fits me (there is a box to exclude wrong levels, not own packs...)
- If not start own lfm, get the ship buffs, start questing, change lfm for IP.
Its very fast.

Ungood
01-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Same here. Some of that stuff you just can't make up, and is really a blast to be a part of when I am soloing or duoing, or doing all those tedious things like crafting.

Sometimes it is really handy, helping people out, maybe taking a few jabs at people. All in all Gen Chat can be handy, and in many ways helpful.

It's called having sufficent bandwidth. If people have guild, party, tells and userchannels all feeding into the one window (I do but only 2 of the channels) that's a lot of chat.

I fully respect this, that is why I pull apart windows for that type of thing. So that the scroll does not kill me, and it's not all 1 window.

I turned off loot in my main window. but I smaller window over it, that shows combat log and loot. You can click the "eye" image on the lower right corner and that will make it set it to behave differently, one setting is to fade away when nothing is going though it.

Which is very handy for things like User Chat channels that may not be that active, or Loot that only lights up when you all hit a chest.

Just saying.

Sgt_Hart
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Seems a simple solution to me..

If(Player_Is_Set_To_Looking_For_A_Group)
SendMessage(Channel_Advancement, sLeaderName+" Just began a group for "+SQuestName+" for levels: "+SMinLevel+" - "+SMaxLevel);

Advancement Channel(The one that show's XP gain in general chat), so player's can easily get just useful data if they want to include it in party window. I (Personally) would have it list level range Irrespective of if the player in question fits or not. I may be playing my level 20 cleric, but watching for things my level 15 pally want to run. Or the reverse.

Hordo
01-25-2012, 05:50 PM

This, this a thousand times this.

Seriously.

Seikojin
01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
"taking hours to fill" is another issue that needs to be knocked on the head as soon as possible for new players.

The starter scenario is a party of 5 not 6. People should be encouraged to start questing with say only just 2 people. It's bizzarre how people wait for ages to fill. How do new players get into this mindset? I remember waiting hours for the group to fill also.

People should be introduced to the concept of hireling healers sooner - maybe an NPC that steps them through the hiring process as a one off for the first time in the Korthos area - with pointers to many other different types of hirelings and a couple of vendors where they can get them.

Also with the balanced party thing. Many quests can be done without a rogue for example. You may have to be a little more careful but it's possible. We need to knock that out of newbies ASaP too.

They could make specific hirelings for each quest. Make it a cost at the quest start window. This way they could script the NPC AI to be flawless.