PDA

View Full Version : Epic whirlwind worth making?

NaturalHazard
01-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I pulled the seal today, on my almost daily farm of epic dq1 for chao's blade, thornlord, torc, rss(yeah right!!!) seals. I looked in my bags and I had the shard and the scroll as well.

I just need the base item, thing is on my one and only 2handed fighter charactor I have a terror that I use for trash and a epic antique great axe for bosses and when i need to break dr.............

Would it be worth it for me to craft this? the charactor is a warchanter bard, but terror is so good vs trash I dont know if I would use it much? I have the epic sir roccos, on another charactor and I like it a lot, but the sirroccos also has a few other abilities on it that the whirlwind doesnt.

But yeah I dont lose much if I craft it, just what ever it costs me to get a base item and the loss of the scroll for a 3 for 1 hand in.

mroks28
01-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I pulled the seal today, on my almost daily farm of epic dq1 for chao's blade, thornlord, torc, rss(yeah right!!!) seals. I looked in my bags and I had the shard and the scroll as well.

I just need the base item, thing is on my one and only 2handed fighter charactor I have a terror that I use for trash and a epic antique great axe for bosses and when i need to break dr.............

Would it be worth it for me to craft this? the charactor is a warchanter bard, but terror is so good vs trash I dont know if I would use it much? I have the epic sir roccos, on another charactor and I like it a lot, but the sirroccos also has a few other abilities on it that the whirlwind doesnt.

But yeah I dont lose much if I craft it, just what ever it costs me to get a base item and the loss of the scroll for a 3 for 1 hand in.

imho the epic whirlwind would be great to have this weapons is good for killing trash because just about every monster goes down and stays down its a great way to add cc to the party and really fun to use i still want one just need the shard though then im going to make it :D

Sarisa
01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Going by how effective the Epic Sirroco is, it would be a nice trash CC weapon. It would not be QUITE as effective as a pair of Sirroco's due to the slower attack speed, but I expect it to do a decent job of keeping things down.

They both have the same knockdown abilities (Air Guard, Epic Telekinetic), both give you "permablur", and just have different damage boosts (sonic vs. force). The Sirroco does have the blindness effect, but that can be a detriment due to the annoying "slide around while blind and otherwise CC'ed" bug, and also has the Vertigo bonus so that even a moderate STR character could occasionally land a trip.

Solmage
01-12-2012, 07:42 AM
The problem here is you have terror with it's ... special ... abilities. Compared to that, no, it is a complete waste of time to farm the base item. Once terror ...changes, then yes, this may become worth crafting for when you're soloing or for when you have poor CC/no CC in epics.

NaturalHazard
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Going by how effective the Epic Sirroco is, it would be a nice trash CC weapon. It would not be QUITE as effective as a pair of Sirroco's due to the slower attack speed, but I expect it to do a decent job of keeping things down.

They both have the same knockdown abilities (Air Guard, Epic Telekinetic), both give you "permablur", and just have different damage boosts (sonic vs. force). The Sirroco does have the blindness effect, but that can be a detriment due to the annoying "slide around while blind and otherwise CC'ed" bug, and also has the Vertigo bonus so that even a moderate STR character could occasionally land a trip.

Might be able to hit more mobs at once maybe with a wider arch? toon doesnt have glancing blow feats but still could it proc stuff off that way?

As said before I have the terror for trash but I guess whirlwind might be more useful if theres no or poor CC, but normally if we are in a bad situation I ottos irristable a single target or throw a fascinate out there.

Syllph
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
The problem here is you have terror with it's ... special ... abilities. Compared to that, no, it is a complete waste of time to farm the base item. Once terror ...changes, then yes, this may become worth crafting for when you're soloing or for when you have poor CC/no CC in epics.

I doubt Terror will change. It's not broken it was fixed. Past updates it had a crummy DC. The Devs took it and bumped it up.

It wasn't an error they did that on purpose. I could dig up the thread where the Devs mention the new better DC if you need.

Sarisa
01-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Might be able to hit more mobs at once maybe with a wider arch? toon doesnt have glancing blow feats but still could it proc stuff off that way?

As said before I have the terror for trash but I guess whirlwind might be more useful if theres no or poor CC, but normally if we are in a bad situation I ottos irristable a single target or throw a fascinate out there.

Won't proc the knockdown reliably without the THF feats. Even with the feats on my Pali, Terror doesn't proc that often on glancing blows, so I won't expect many knockdowns from glancing blows.

Mr_Tank
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello from Argo where this shard does not drop. Yes it is a good weapon you should make it. 3rd best epic 2hander and the hardest to make.

Solmage
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I doubt Terror will change. It's not broken it was fixed. Past updates it had a crummy DC. The Devs took it and bumped it up.

It wasn't an error they did that on purpose. I could dig up the thread where the Devs mention the new better DC if you need.

Dig away. I'll be particularly interested in reading where the devs stated that the weapon should have infinite DC (or rather no DC at all), and be essentially an old-style vorpal that insta-kills on a 17-20 (16-20 for kensai) regardless of health, and can make a fighter keep up with kills vs a pale master.

I didn't mean to actually bring up the details, but since you insisted.

Sarisa
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Dig away. I'll be particularly interested in reading where the devs stated that the weapon should have infinite DC (or rather no DC at all), and be essentially an old-style vorpal that insta-kills on a 17-20 (16-20 for kensai) regardless of health, and can make a fighter keep up with kills vs a pale master.

I didn't mean to actually bring up the details, but since you insisted.

Terror on epics (at least epics with mobs with decent saves), and it works but it doesn't insta-kill on every 17-20. I regularly see double saves (the force damage from the mind blast effect, and the PK being saved on).

It's still a great trash killer for non-epics, and a good epic trash killer, but it's not overpowered strong.

CoasterHops
01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
My bard's arsenal of weapons as a 2HF is, Epic Antique Greataxe, Terror and Epic Whirlwind.
It looks cool, has decent base damage, and is useful for mobs that manage to get themselves a deathward, or who have very high will saves.

Its also very rare, therefore it is something that many other players wouldn't have seen, which is also pretty cool.

Terror's can be swapped between toons if unsuppressed (or you can always do more Mindsunders) so its not like your toon is locked into having to use the terror.

Personally I would say make it, especially if you have no other 2HF characters. Hit my bard up on Khyber (emmpeethree) if you want to see it, I'm mostly playing on my TR caster Castinfist atm, or look for me on my main Smallmans.

PS. Maybe we will get a desert pass at some stage, and the Epic Whirlwind could get the Slicing Winds effect or something similar which would make sense.

Sarisa
01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
PS. Maybe we will get a desert pass at some stage, and the Epic Whirlwind could get the Slicing Winds effect or something similar which would make sense.

Please, no more weapons or effects that blow away CC.

CoasterHops
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Please, no more weapons or effects that blow away CC.

Well tbh the Epic Whirlwind needs something that will bring it's DPS up a little notch, wether it's slicing winds or something similar. (that doesn't interrupt cc)

How about slicing winds that doesn't interrupt cc? Hehe. Lets call it Slicing Winds V2.0.

LeLoric
01-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Only if terror worked on everything though. There's lots of immune to pk things that whirlwind still takes care of. It is a poor dps weapon but good for CC options. One person using an epic whirlwind on trashclearing to elob is a big help.

Solmage
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Terror on epics (at least epics with mobs with decent saves), and it works but it doesn't insta-kill on every 17-20. I regularly see double saves (the force damage from the mind blast effect, and the PK being saved on).

It's still a great trash killer for non-epics, and a good epic trash killer, but it's not overpowered strong.

Not this.

36 is not great but in non epic non amrath it will actually kill a fair amount.

If you can't figure out how it's working vs how it's supposed to work, that's too bad. But for S&G ask the next wizard or sorcerer with a 36 DC how well their PKs work. See if they don't answer "work 1% of the time, maybe"

andbr22
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Anyway PK is also a bit Damage bost -> On save I got hit for like 60-70 untyped dmg in Xorian :-P

LeLoric
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
If you can't figure out how it's working vs how it's supposed to work, that's too bad. But for S&G ask the next wizard or sorcerer with a 36 DC how well their PKs work. See if they don't answer "work 1% of the time, maybe"

Depends on what they are targeting. Things like melee tieflings or sahaugin in epic will die pretty easily. Elementals and mephits too. Scrags in deeps? not so much. On the lower save mobs that terror works good on pk at dc 36 will work 40-60% of the time too. Pk btw is actually a really good tool for a high int wizard as it has a low cooldown unlike other instadeath spells. You just have to know who to use them on. I'd use it more but lev 4 spells are so hard to work with.

Are you implying that the terror has more than a 36 dc? PvP testing has shown otherwise. There is a 36 dc on terror with two seperate saves. Fear immunity also stops it just like a normal pk. I've also seen mobs make both the will save (no effect) and the fort save (wavy arms animation but no death).

Divine casters are actually the most likely to resist terror due to their high will save which are also coincidentally the ones that are least likely to resist whirlwind (although reflex saves across the board are pretty bad and whirlwind works pretty reliably on most any mob.)

xoowak
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure where you get the idea that there is no save on it. High-save mobs in Amrath and epics save pretty much every time. However, just the fact that it's hitting every 2-3 seconds means it's going to land quite a bit on things that don't save on a 2.

hyenaboy
01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I made up an Epic whirlwind on my first life LoB FVS. Absolutely love the thing. Knocks stuff down constantly no matter where I am be it elites, epics what ever. Works extrmely well on tieflings as well. Only thing I have not had it knock down so far is a red name but have knocked down orange names with it. Haste proc's quite often which is nice with the Cannith bracers and gloves unlocked. I will be hunting another one to unlock for my other FVS as I continue to TR him multiple times. Now I just need to farm my ESOS for my FVS and honestly will be the only 2 weapons I use anymore. Also love my terror as well, outstanding trash killer...my FVS borrows it from my DPS cleric from time to time and recnetly handed it off to my TR Pallymonk. He does not see the proc all that often like both my cleric and FVS do but who knows on him. But yes I would make it if you can get it. Hard to find...I have the seal, scroll and shard long before I was fortunate enough to have a guildy dust one off on one of his bank toons.

NaturalHazard
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
My bard's arsenal of weapons as a 2HF is, Epic Antique Greataxe, Terror and Epic Whirlwind.
It looks cool, has decent base damage, and is useful for mobs that manage to get themselves a deathward, or who have very high will saves.

Its also very rare, therefore it is something that many other players wouldn't have seen, which is also pretty cool.

Terror's can be swapped between toons if unsuppressed (or you can always do more Mindsunders) so its not like your toon is locked into having to use the terror.

Personally I would say make it, especially if you have no other 2HF characters. Hit my bard up on Khyber (emmpeethree) if you want to see it, I'm mostly playing on my TR caster Castinfist atm, or look for me on my main Smallmans.

Sweet im on khyber too my bards name is Eavy.

Yeah the desert epics do seem kind of underpowered even some of the half decent ones compared to whats comming out with alchemical and cannith challege weapons, and stuff like the cannith weapons are so much easyier to make, but I guess they got to make $ and sell that pack, the thing is why would a new player buy the desert pack when there are much easyier options available?

I have been playing the desert for a year and a half and I have only made one item I set out to get thats the epic seal of earth lol. In the attempts to get other stuff I have made epic vulkorim leathers, sirroco, and now I can make the whirlwind if i get the base and I can also make a epic pouch of jerky. And I think I might even be one of the lucky ones im sure theres people who have been farming for just as long if not longer and prob more often who can't make a single epic item from there.

ok I dont want slicing winds if it blows away disco balls.

I always wondered why the bow of air didnt have lighting strike? would that make it worthwhile to have?