PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lvl Rogue splash - 3 extra skill points

C-Dog
01-11-2012, 03:06 AM
... so what do I do with them for maximum (if still rather lame) effect?

Listen 3? (For the random invisible critter, or as a weak(er) backup to Spot 4?)*
Bluff 3? (For desperation vs. the rare ugly?)
Diplo 3? (sim, but when in groups?)
UMD3? (for using the rare wand/rechargeable item?) (it's low %, but possible - if this wiki page is correct... http://ddowiki.com/page/Use_magic_device#Benchmarks **)
bump Tumble 1 to Tumble 4 (for those longer faaaaalls?)

Everything else that is important to this toon already has 4 pts in it. No other points will be spent in any of the above (but items may add to them eventually...)

The character will start with a decent (15) Wisdom (level pts into Wis) but dumped Charisma, but eventually have decent both (as a Cleric).

(* Listen & Spot - Are these actually rolled, Skill + Ability + d20, or is the number static without a d20 added? If the latter, then, for example, a character w/ a +10 modifier would automatically notice something that a character with a +9 never will. In the wiki I've seen text that supports both interpretations.) :confused:

(** UMD - With a recharging item, that's a no-loss opportunity, but I'm told there are few if any items (short of making your own?) that are worth bothering with. According to that chart, various +Cha items/enchantments could easily get him to around 50/50 or so for some of the lower level targets - eventually. Spec I'm looking at "alignment restricted" - better a slim chance than no chance?)

Remember - the points aren't "needed" anywhere else, so "something", no matter how small or remote, is better than nuthin'.

Spoprockel
01-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Listen and Spot are static (at least for traps / hidden & trapdoors), you will never spot a trap / hidden door if your score is too low.

Spot also enables you to see the shape of stealthed enemies, so it's not a total waste to put in a few points.

The umd check for race/alignment restricted items is also static.
You need umd 20 to equip a pure good weapon if your character is not good aligned.
Once it's equipped it will stay equipped until you log out, so if you reach the treshold with shorttime buffs / skill boost that'll work.

One situationally useful eternal wand is the one from the catacombs chain (cure minor wounds - UMD 14).
Even with only a few points in umd you have a good success chance to use it to stabilize an incapped party member at low lvls.

At higher lvls you'll want to reach umd 39 to cast heal scrolls (umd 40) on yourself with a 100% success rate.
As a rogue splash i would really recommend you to invest in umd.
When things go wrong you want no less than 100% on your heal and raise dead scrolls to get people up and running again.

Whesper
01-11-2012, 05:37 AM
One situationally useful eternal wand is the one from the catacombs chain (cure minor wounds - UMD 14).
Even with only a few points in umd you have a good success chance to use it to stabilize an incapped party member at low lvls.

At higher lvls you'll want to reach umd 39 to cast heal scrolls (umd 40) on yourself with a 100% success rate.
As a rogue splash i would really recommend you to invest in umd.
When things go wrong you want no less than 100% on your heal and raise dead scrolls to get people up and running again.

This is all very useful, just that OP is going to be a cleric.

I would go with UMD too, ability to equip race/alignment restricted items is very nice, plus you get a chance of using some nice arcane wands/scrolls (fireshield/displacement).

ReaperAlexEU
01-11-2012, 06:45 AM
really hard to answer without knowing what skills you will already be investing in.

a few more in tumble is nice to offset any armour penalties before your dex gets high enough.

jump and balance are also nice

other than that its hard to know what to say as we're shooting in the dark

morticianjohn
01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
This is why I believe that even though you lose skill points overall it may be better to take your rogue lvl later than one. Then you get a better distribution of where to put your skill points. For example of you only get 4 skill points per lvl after your rogue lvl it is going to be hard to keep the key skills maxed.

Kmnh
01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
If you don't know the quests like the back of your hands yet, spot is a good skill. Seeing those stealthy dogs will help you avoid many ambushes :)

1 point in open lock is enough to pick some important doors. So is a scroll of Knock. It can be useful if you don't have UMD or casting ability.

1 point in seach and disable is useless and the mid/late game, but it will gain your parties some xp in the early levels if you have the gear and buffs to support it.

CheeseMilk
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Tumble is worth putting one point into.

Three points into bluff, and you won't have to pay plat to get into Delera's 4. It'll work from time to time at lower levels, too, which is great because it can give you time to fire off a quick heal when you're being beaten before you get Quicken.

unbongwah
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
UMD3? (for using the rare wand/rechargeable item?) (it's low %, but possible - if this wiki page is correct... http://ddowiki.com/page/Use_magic_device#Benchmarks **)
Are you suggesting you're not going for max UMD on your rogue-splashed build? That's arguably the single best skill in DDO and the main reason for rogue splashes in the first place!

hiryuu42
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
jump and balance are also nice

Indeed, switching between my assassin and cleric, I miss jump sooo much.

ArcaneMelee
01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Indeed, switching between my assassin and cleric, I miss jump sooo much.

Do you have the Amrath pack?

dkyle
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Are you not aware that you can keep putting 2 points per level, no matter what class you take, and end up with the full, maxed base UMD of 23? With items, it's not that hard to get to no-fail Heal Scrolls.

You should be starting with UMD 4. Find something else to start at 3. An 8 INT first level Rogue can put 4 ranks in seven skills. You put 1 in Tumble. What are the other 6 skills?

C-Dog
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks to those who answered the OP as phrased.

For the rest...

As it happens, I am indeed aware of every off-topic suggestion made above, but thanks - I'm sure some newbies will not be, and will get mileage out of your suggestions.

really hard to answer without knowing what skills you will already be investing in...
Shouldn't be - I gave you 5 to choose from. That was the OP.

Everything else that is important to this toon already has 4 pts in it. No other points will be spent in any of the above (but items may add to them eventually...)

Remember - the points aren't "needed" anywhere else, so "something", no matter how small or remote, is better than nuthin'.It's a Rogue - with at least 28 pts to invest, I invested in NOT the five I listed - kinda hard not to. Which includes everything anyone suggested not on that list - all the obvious ones. Which was the purpose of that specific list in the first place. ;)

Gremmlynn
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM

For the rest...

As it happens, I am indeed aware of every off-topic suggestion made above, but thanks - I'm sure some newbies will not be, and will get mileage out of your suggestions.

It's a Rogue - with at least 28 pts to invest, I invested in NOT the five I listed - kinda hard not to. Which includes everything anyone suggested not on that list - all the obvious ones. Which was the purpose of that specific list in the first place. ;)Well that being the case, I would say put 1 each into swim, heal and repair. This based on the information made available.

ReaperAlexEU
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM

For the rest...

It's a Rogue - with at least 28 pts to invest, I invested in NOT the five I listed - kinda hard not to. Which includes everything anyone suggested not on that list - all the obvious ones. Which was the purpose of that specific list in the first place. ;)

i read your OP as a request for help and advice not as a poll. so to get the best advice we'd need to see a fuller picture. i understand wanting to keep things short and simple, especially on a skills rich char where you will have a lot to list out.

but take this as an example of why a fuller picture would help. lets say you've not got any points in jump. while this will make for a bad jump score for most of the game you can actually hit the jump cap with items, buffs and a few points on many builds. so after running a calculation on your ending STR and any self buffs like that 15 min jump clicky from amrath and GH self cast from scrolls (yes, i'm also interested to see why UMD was dropped ;) ) you might find a few points in jump is all thats needed to hit the cap of 40. this is just an example mind you, but i think it highlights why more information will help us give you better advice.

i tend to plan my characters with the DDO character planner by ron. aside from the general planning assistance it has a forum export which would make listing off the skills you chose just the work of a few clicks.

now, naturally the more info you give the more advice not pertaining to your burning question you'll get. but you seem quite capable of picking out the advice you're interested in and skipping the rest. and i'm not trying to get any ones back up with that, it is after all advice and should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

any way, its hardly going to be a game breaker so no worries either way.

nolaureltree000
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
spot is good if you are new to a lot of DDO content on a trap-disabling toon. after you have been playing for awhile, you learn where all the traps are and can dump spot if need be.

UMD is great. heal scrolls, raise dead scrolls, teleport scrolls, etc.