PDA

View Full Version : Quests for a solo PM to 20

Cythas
01-10-2012, 02:58 AM
I've got a 1 rog/12 wizard human palemaster, and this is my first toon getting this far. Since I only get a few hours a week during offpeak hours to play him, it took me awhile to (mostly) solo my way up to 13, but now I'm stuck.

So far I've been using MrCow's very helpful diaries to figure out what quests are viable for an arcane to solo. but I don't have a cache of twink items and plat, as well as his experience with quests to do stealth speedruns. There's also the problem with PM light damage vulnerability, which I found out when I tried to imitate his run of Maraud the Mines only to get fried by alot of searing lights.

Thus I look to you vets on the forums for help. What are some of the good quests a solo PM can do to get up to 20? What are those which we should avoid?

=================

Also if you're reading this hoping for a guide, here's what I did up to 13:
Keep in mind that:
- I am a first-lifer, so I didn't need alot of exp per level.
- I did them on elite first for bravery, then if I felt inclined to farm, repeated on hard til I was bored and finished off on normal. I recommend the standard NNNHE instead, bravery streak is nice but not really necessary for a first-lifer.
- The majority of these were done with a cleric hireling with divine vitality. Bring one, its cheap mana pots and heals!

1-3:
Korthos Village and Island quests, including Misery's Peak
4:
Habour Quests, key ones being The Kobolds' New Ringleader and Information is Key
5:
The Catacombs series (did it thrice to get the eternal cure wand), The Lost Seekers series (WW), Seal of Shan-To-Kor series (STK)
6:
Tangleroot (up until the quests involving inner dungeon), The Sharn Syndicate series
7:
Three Barrel Cove quests (aka 3BC; farmed Ghost of a Chance), Necro 2 flag quests (in preparation for Bloody Crypt)
8:
The Bloody Crypt (farmed), Tangleroot (finished off the rest), Tear of Dhaarkan (better do group for this and get optionals), Gwylan's Stand:
9:
Delera's Tomb series (farmed), Sentinels of Stormreach (not easy on elite, do it in a group or just farm Delera's til you cap out on exp)
10:
Necro 3 flag quests (farmed the easier ones, as to which is considered easier YMMV), more Delera's Tomb farming
11:
The Jungle of Khyber (aka Von 3; farmed), The Shadow Crypt (farmed. so. much)
12:
More Shadow Crypt farming til I hit 13

Note that I did do other quests as part of groups or raids whenever I could (I'm not antisocial, just busy), some being Von 5 & 6, Tempest Spine and Xorian Cipher, but the quests listed above even without bravery bonus up should get you to 13 if you're a first-lifer like me.

loren9109
01-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Hi there,

As a PM too I totally feel the pain! Mobs with search lights are like everywhere :( On higher difficulties they hit like disintegrate... and it takes a lot more sp to try to take them out before they hit me.

I can't really remember but here are some quests I feel easier to solo for lvl13 PM, at least on norm
Maraud the Mines
And the Dead Shall Rise
The 3 F2P lordsmarch quests
The 4 P2P lordsmarch quests
Blockade Buster
Trial by fire
A cry for help
Orchard slayers (rats and train)

After those, Necro4 takes some researching to solo (maybe with a hire) but it's worth it; it's really not easier for non-PMs anyway. Prequests and Litany of the Dead should carry a firstlifer to 17ish or so... maybe even 18 if you farm more?...

After Necro4, Vale alone should be enough xp for lvl20. I don't like to solo vale at all except for coalescence chamber, but vale groups is very easy to form. If still need more, maybe add a few runs of Sins of attrition. Incoming damage is low on norm solo, and those orthons can be charmed too. I don't have IQ packs so can't comment on them...

Quests I hate particularly as a PM: Need some advice on these...
Feast or Famine: Many clerics and it's difficult to keep them in firewall. Lots of doors to open too and dungeon goes to red easily.
Running with devils: I kept failing sneaking through it. And once aggroed the place is a microwave oven for PMs:(

glouky
01-10-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm also a solo PM player.

lvl 13, all GH are easy XP.

lvl 14 in necro 4, inferno is painfull and doomsphere may be difficult (but it is no more immute to all elemental damages, making it much easier). The golem one is not bad, and fun to synchro with an hireling.
Soloing lvl14 of GH is really fun (but not very XP efficient)

lvl 15 Litany of the Dead (if flagged), Missing, and fear factory are quite easy)
lvl 16 mostly Rainbow in the Dark, and Running with the Devils, but using a healer hireling and not using undead form.
lvl 17 : Monastery of the Scorpion and The Sane Asylum are very nice...
lvl 18 : all quests in harbor are easy and boring exept In the Demon's Den that is not so easy to solo
lvl 19+ : The Devils of Shavarath is a nice pack with good items for lvl 18+. Playing a PM here is nice as you need both CC and a few DPS. Avoid Wrath of the Flame where there is a lot of light damage and all have deathprot.

good luck

PS: wraith aspect takes less dmg than vampire from positive energy

Kriogen
01-10-2012, 05:11 AM
As you are rog1/Wiz12, how good is your UMD? You don't always have to be in undead form, do you?

At that level, i'd farm WizKing until I get sick. Not undead, invis 90% of stuff, burn+web, disintegrate big boss, repeat. Quest is easy, but needs practice. Start on Casual, but don't finish. Just so you learn. Knowledge, experience is a big part of soloing.

After that Gianthold is a good place for a DC based caster. Still regular mobs and not Outsiders with overinflated saves and SR.

A bit of slayer/explorer/rare is a nice "filler".

Drekisen
01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
You are a level 13 PM.........you are not yet at the level where spell pen is a big issue......learn to make use of Mass Suggestion.....makes leveling really easy.

BigSlugger
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I liked The Enemy Within at that level. Wall of Fire does wonders in there. There are randomly placed traps in there but they're easy to disarm or jump over.

Lesser globes of invulnerability will block Searing Lights while allowing Death Aura to function.

Braegan
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
You are a level 13 PM.........you are not yet at the level where spell pen is a big issue......learn to make use of Mass Suggestion.....makes leveling really easy.

Agree. Even well past level 13 "making friends" (as I call it) using charms is a huge way to move through content.

I usually would lay down some CC, those that save get charmed. Those charmed fight those that failed thier saves on the CC. Then I grab popcorn and watch...sometimes it's fun being the puppeteer :D

Drekisen
01-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Agree. Even well past level 13 "making friends" (as I call it) using charms is a huge way to move through content.

I usually would lay down some CC, those that save get charmed. Those charmed fight those that failed thier saves on the CC. Then I grab popcorn and watch...sometimes it's fun being the puppeteer :D

^This...and don't forget to make use of your Command and Control Undead spells as well.......tho Control Undead has a rather long cooldown.

Cythas
01-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the replies.

- I'll give GH a go, as well as WizKing. And the Dead Shall Rise and The Enemy Within are also interesting suggestions.
- I'll admit I have yet to do any CC. I've been having too much fun setting things on fire. :D I'll be sure to give mass suggestion as well as other forms of CC a shot when I play next.
- Thanks for pointing out that LGoI stops flashlights. :D I'll be sure to give that a shot when I try Maraud the Mines again.
- For anyone looking for help, I also found that Desert Caravan is a pretty good quest to farm at 13. Lure monsters with aura damage, firewall, rinse and repeat. Name spawns don't aggro, drop a firewall on them. Don't bother extending your buffs or even fully buffing up, you get dispelled alot in this quest.

JeisonBlade
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Dont forget slayers. One of my friends has four PM toons, hes done the vast majority of his leveling with wilderness slayers/rare farming. Theres over two million xp available in the wilderness areas

slimkj
01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Searing Light features in a lot more quests now (or at least it feels that way) but I only really felt it solo in Running with the Devils. Luckily for me it came at a time some guildies were on so no need to die more than once :)

There are some quests that are quicker for arcanes to farm than others, if you want to speed to cap, but really except for RWTD you should be able to pull off anything non-raid, with practice. I wouldn't limit yourself to recommendations necessarily. The beauty of a Wizard is the versatility and being able to figure out what works best where, and spell swapping to accommodate. The world is your oyster, go play!

Do you use Vampire form? If so, I would recommend not doing so. Last PM life I capped I ran Zombie all the way to Lich. It was fine. The hit to INT might be a bit more painful on a first lifer but you could always use Wraith for those times DC tip-over matters to you.