PDA

View Full Version : 1 pt into Tumble, or "net positive" value?

C-Dog
01-07-2012, 09:57 PM
(Moved from diff thread, where I was getting answers to the related OP, but not this question...)

I understand the massive advantages to dropping 1 pt into Tumble when possible. Falls, etc - all good.

But I've read comments like this more than once, from posters talking about 1st level skill point allocation...

Tumble has 3 pts in it, rather than the usually suggested 1, to make up for the -1 penalty from dex and the -1 armor check of light armor to give a positive modified value (allowing roll-dodges, which I don't really use much during combat, but wanted anyway to move fast in water).Does Tumble have to be positive, and not just "present"? Or, at least, is it better if it's a net +1, after armour/stat mods? Or just for this "roll dodge" thing (and what is that?)

Or is this just an urban myth and mis-assumption?

JollySwagMan
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
(Moved from diff thread, where I was getting answers to the related OP, but not this question...)

I understand the massive advantages to dropping 1 pt into Tumble when possible. Falls, etc - all good.

But I've read comments like this more than once, from posters talking about 1st level skill point allocation...

Does Tumble have to be positive, and not just "present"? Or, at least, is it better if it's a net +1, after armour/stat mods? Or just for this "roll dodge" thing (and what is that?)

Or is this just an urban myth and mis-assumption?

The 'roll dodge' thing is where you hold Shift (the default Block key) and press a direction (W/A/S/D) to roll in that direction. Aside from just looking neat, it has several practical uses:

1. Move quicker through shallow water. However jumping works well enough for this as well.
2. Dodge special enemy attacks - note that blocking in itself can prevent many special attacks such as a scorpion's poison stinger or a dog's trip. jumping can also be effective here, but slows down your rate of attacks more. On the other hand jumping while casting helps one to move around more quickly.
3. Dodging ray type spells - even an untrained hop to the side by a character wearing heavy armor can be useful in this regard. Can be tough to pull off though, and using cover is much more reliable at dodging such spells!
4. A bonus of 32 allows backflips and side-leaps, while a bonus of 36 allows forward leaps. Somewhere in the mid-30s you actually move faster when tumbling than running, but I'm unsure as to the specific number - it seems as though a forward roll with 35 is faster than a forward leap at 36, but somewhere in the early 40s the forward leap becomes faster than the 35 forward roll.

Note that 1 rank, 8 dexterity (-1), a +15 tumble item, a +10 tumble potion/spell/buff, a +6 dexterity item (+3 effective bonus from Dex), and Greater Heroism (+4 morale) allows one to hit 32, enough for backflips.

5. Stalwart Defender Fighters and Paladin Defenders of Syberis move slower when in Defensive stance - however tumbling with a healthy bonus allows them to move quicker. Monks in Earth Stance also move slower, but this just puts them more in line with the speed of most other classes.
6. If you are in a Red Alert dungeon, tumbling lets you move faster when harried - however it seems impaired by the Alert, so a higher bonus is needed for the flips and leaps.
7. Helpful for a player who is being chased by 1 or 2 mobs, while a party melee is chasing said mobs. Tumbling toward the mobs/player can be used to stall the enemy's movement for a moment, and afford a few free attacks for the melee. Working together like this can be achieved without tumble, but it's notable for its effectiveness in 'herding' the mob into the melee's 'hitbox' in a predictable manner.

You need 1 rank in order to 'unlock' it, and a positive value in order to actually somersault. That positive value can come from any source.

For example:

level 1 fighter puts two half-points into Tumble so as to have one Rank. Assuming he has 10+ dexterity, he can roll while naked. If he puts on a set of Full Plate armor, with its attendant -6 Armor Check penalty, and quaffs a Tumble potion, which provides +10, he'll still be able to roll.

Other stuff about Tumble in DDO:

Its passive benefit is to reduce the amount of damage you take from unbroken falls (note that some seemingly dangerous falls can be broken via jumping and sliding down a nearby wall), so for the most part Feather Falling takes care of that. In the Reaver's raid though it's quite handy as Feather Falling does not apply there!

C-Dog
01-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Everything I wanted to know and, more, what I needed to know! Thanks, JSM!