pleistocene
01-07-2012, 10:57 AM
12pal/6mnk/2ftr
12pal/6ftr/2mnk

12ftr/6mnk/2pal
12ftr/6pal/2mnk

12mnk/6pal/2ftr
12mnk/6ftr/2pal

I don't have any definitive goals, in what build i am trying to make or plan on taking just want comparisons between all options

thanks

unbongwah
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
It's really hard to make suggestions without knowing your build goals, resources, etc. There are pros & cons to every combo posted. Still, my thoughts:

When it comes to pallies, I prefer to either stop at pally 6 or go deep (i.e., pally 18 or pure). Paladin starts out as a pretty front-loaded class: you gain access to pally wands at lvl 1, Divine Grace at 2, fear & disease immunity at 3, Divine Might I & Divine Sacrifice I at 5, Divine Righteousness, path ability, & 1st-tier PrE at 6. The mid-levels are a bit more boring, IMHO; then it gets more exciting at higher levels - lvl 4 spells at 14 (mostly for Zeal), third-tier PrE at 18, and of course the capstone is very nice if you stay pure.

Fighters: Kensai I is a bit meh, IMHO, while Kensai II is much nicer (mostly for Power Surge plus your other dmg bonuses). Ftr 2 splash is a handy way of adding extra feats & Haste Boost to a build.

Monks: first off, it only makes sense to take more than a splash if you intend to use monk weapons (usually handwraps) and stay centered (i.e., no armor or shields) so you can take advantage of higher-level monk abilities. There's room to get creative with MCed monks, though to be honest I don't think heavily-MCed monks mix well with pally splashes. But there are funky builds which are the exception to that rule...

I think monk 2 / pally 6 / ftr 12 is a really potent combo: extra feats, Evasion, and WIS AC bonus from monk; higher saves, some self-sufficiency, and some burst DPS boosts from pally; and of course plenty of feats, Haste Boost, etc. from ftr. Plus you have room to get creative w/your PrEs: DoS I / Kensai II, KotC I / SD II, HotD I / Kensai II - the only combo you can't do is DoS I / SD II (conflicting PrE pre-reqs).

Crann
01-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Its a good idea to to start with a goal or goals....and then build your character towards it.

I am working on a 9 Pally/9 Monk/2 Fighter Half Elf w/cleric Dilly. That goal.....get a Pally Past Life on a character who already had a bunch of twink monk gear.

pleistocene
01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
That's the thing I'm not exactly sure what I want to be my next life

so far I have done 2 monk mast lives and lv 19 right now soon to level 20, I want to be using handwraps most of the time.

But I wasn't very sure if I should go 12 monk and 6/2 something else or 12 something 6 monk and 2 something

I am aiming for massive dps, lots of hp, and high saves, not sure whether or not i want to tank anything, and having medium ac is good, nothing that is crazy 80+ ac because right now i have 55 ac on my 19 monk and I think its fine with the current situations i have to be in since it also has 629 hp with just ship buffs

dredre9987
01-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Its a good idea to to start with a goal or goals....and then build your character towards it.

I am working on a 9 Pally/9 Monk/2 Fighter Half Elf w/cleric Dilly. That goal.....get a Pally Past Life on a character who already had a bunch of twink monk gear.

wont that give you a monk past life?

Callavan
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
...or what is best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSFIWzi7aA)?

pleistocene
01-07-2012, 04:26 PM
...or what is best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSFIWzi7aA)?

???????????

Crann
01-08-2012, 06:27 AM
wont that give you a monk past life?

No.

When you have a tie, the past life life is determined alphabetically by the original classes, then chronologically by the release dates of the added classes. Pally was original, monk was added.

The order ends up being:

1.Barbarian
2.Bard
3.Cleric
4.Fighter
5.Paladin
6.Ranger
7.Rogue
8.Sorcerer
9.Wizard
10.Monk
11.Favored Soul
12.Artificer

@ the OP.....one more question....is this the end, or are you planning to TR some more?

If you are planning another TR after this, then you won't get any added benefit of having more than 3 PL:Monk. You will certainly want a PL:Pally if you are TRing afterwards into another melee, it is arguably the best active PL feat for a melee(who isnt a pally).

If you are looking for max dps with wraps and monk gear, then the Godhand build 12 Fighter/8 Monk is a good one. Also the 12 Fighter/6 Pally/2 Monk builds as stated above are good.

NaturalHazard
01-08-2012, 06:43 AM
i have 55 ac on my 19 monk and I think its fine with the current situations i have to be in since it also has 629 hp with just ship buffs

55 ac so good enough for giant hold and vale?

C-Dog
01-08-2012, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=pleistocene;4247776]12pal/6mnk/2ftr
12pal/6ftr/2mnk

12ftr/6mnk/2pal
12ftr/6pal/2mnk

12mnk/6pal/2ftr
12mnk/6ftr/2pal

so far I have done 2 monk past lives and lv 19 right now....
(Maybe "New Player Advice & Guidance" isn't the forum for this? Might find more experience under "mutliclass" or somethin', mebbe? I dunno - just a thought.) ;)