PDA

View Full Version : Observer mode

ThreeFinger
01-05-2012, 03:03 AM
Not sure if it's been suggested before, by my suggestion is for an "observation mode", where players can turn on/off the option to be hosts (so that someone can't enter your view without your permission). Other players (whether it be restricted to party members, dead party members, or open to anyone) can then select to "observe" from <player x's> point of view. The observer then basically sees the same view that player x sees. This would be good from a new player/training perspective. However, I do see the issue of revealing dungeons/quests to those who have never run them - perhaps restrict it to quests the observer has already completed, though I don't know what benefit this would provide under that restriction.

Silverwren
01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Something like this WAS suggested once, quite some time ago. I was all for it, mainly for those high level quests that you can't join unless you "know the quest", as some LFMs advertise. There are a number of quests that I'm able to go on that I never have, simply because I don't know the quest and feel this would be unfair to the group. Having the ability to "tag along" with a group, simply to observe, would be, IMHO, a benefit.

All that notwithstanding, the argument was made at the time that it would probably lead to much more lag. I'm not sure of that, as I'm not a developer or programer. I still think this is a good idea though, if it could be done.

Urist
01-05-2012, 08:09 AM
There is an observer mode, it's called YouTube. ;)

nat_1
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Observer mode? In my day we called that piking. I toggle that mode on frequently. :D

arjiwan
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285602

I suggested it before. I think it will be a nice feature for directly helping raids.

Yeah, I tried watching youtube videos, but I keep on right clicking my mouse, but the view wont face the other way. I swear I tried that.

And don't add about the lag thingy, it will have no calculations because you are a non-entity on the quest.

Havok.cry
01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285602

I suggested it before. I think it will be a nice feature for directly helping raids.

Yeah, I tried watching youtube videos, but I keep on right clicking my mouse, but the view wont face the other way. I swear I tried that.

And don't add about the lag thingy, it will have no calculations because you are a non-entity on the quest.

I believe people assume there would be lag coming from essentially hosting streaming videos while you play. Weather or not that is true I have no Idea