PDA

View Full Version : vicious weapons

morticianjohn
01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
For a new player lvl 10 and beyond do not be afraid of the vicious damage. Specifically when utilizing a hireling. They cast Heal (lvl 11 clerics do at least) which will give more than enough HP back. Make sure you have toughness and enhancements but at this point you should have plenty of HP to use vicious. Here are some of the benefits

Equal damage to Holy, anarchic, and axiomatic without the drawback of frequently having enemies immune to the damage.

Cheap prefix which allows for a better selection of items available from the AH. This also allows for better selection of suffixes. In otherwords these weapons are what is affordable to you as a new player without millions of plat.

Some examples I bought a +3 vicious quarterstaff of disruption on the AH for 15k plat. If it was a holy quarterstaff of disruption it would be 150k plat. yes there are a (very) few enemies who have DR blunt + good but this is = to a holy disruption quarterstaff for 99% of all enemies you would use it on. I've found vicious elemental bane weapons, vicious smiting weapons (most constructs are immune to holy damage).

As someone who plays mostly divines I am telling you that the extra damage from vicious is totally worth it. Specifically it is most useful against dangerous caster mobs that need to be taken down quickly or self healing mobs that may otherwise be impossible for you to take down alone. Eventually you'll have the plat and the knowhow to upgrade from these weapons but for a new player I strongly encourage you to grab some.

FuzzyDuck81
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
It's a great prefix on light monks (who can spam fists of light) & higher level clerics who like to melee (with RS aura) as they can offset it really well.

zex95966
01-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I tried it once.
doubt I will ever try it again.

The clerics stopped healing me forcing me to stop fighting or risk death. By far the biggest mistake though was getting rid of the flaming starter weapon I was using beforehand. Not having enough money at the time to get another replacement, I bought a plain weapon, worse than the flaming one I had before.

Now, I have a holy weapon which works just fine for most things.... I just wish it was Holy Burst. Besides, if your one-hitting trash anyways I think it hurts more than it helps.

MRMechMan
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Dungeon scaling is a big part of how useful it is.

Solo on normal you will see mostly 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 2 1 1

Elite with full group its more like 2 3 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 1 2 3 3 3 2 3 2

On a self healing character it's almost always worth it either way.

Jendrak
01-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Honestly as long as your standing next to a Frenzied berserker and didnt completly dump con nobody is even gonna notice the viscious damage. This used to be a huge deal, i.e. healers loseing their minds because someone was useing one, but with frenzied berserkers this has kinda become less of an issue.

JollySwagMan
01-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Vicious Handwraps of Bleeding are level 4 when randomly generated, and quite nice. I favour them situationally until I can acquire Banishers and Aberration Bane handwraps for a character. Vicious of Ooze bane is also very good vs Living Spells in the Subterrane.

One thing that helps for characters that aren't Light Monks, or Clerics etc. is popping a Ham/Ham Oil beforehand - one can get many many hams in the process of trying to get a Planar Gird.

morticianjohn
01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I am lvling my tempest ranger and I have (seems like) a million weapon sets. When I can't find one that works I have my fallback option.... 2x vicious everbright weapons. Unfortunately because I don't feel like adding more weapon sets I use these for more than just ooze. Still it is nice because there are many enemies who avoid damage from other types or you aren't carrying all three types (axiomatic, anarchic, holy).

Unfortunate that there are healers out there who have issue with vicious. There are times when it may not be apporopriate though so be aware of the situation.

MRMechMan
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Unfortunate that there are healers out there who have issue with vicious. There are times when it may not be apporopriate though so be aware of the situation.

Then they are BAD healers. More dps makes the 1-3 damage a pretty trivial amount.

I would check that the healer was OK with it before using them though...if they say NO...then you know which category of healer they fall under. :D

Lithic
01-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Then they are BAD healers. More dps makes the 1-3 damage a pretty trivial amount.

I would check that the healer was OK with it before using them though...if they say NO...then you know which category of healer they fall under. :D

You are incorrect. In situations where there are more than enough shrines or where the healer is mass healing constantly or where you can self heal (real self healing, not cure potions) then sure vicious is a viable choice. In any other situation where spell points need to be conserved you better put it away. You might be dealing 7pts more per hit to the mob (at best) but you're taking 2 per hit yourself. You'll be taking a huge amount more damage than you would have otherwise once monsters need more than a few swings to kill them. In any case using vicious will get you laughed at 99% of the time, blacklisted and kicked from groups occasionally.

mute_mayhem
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM

As the person you quoted said, using vicious weapons depends on the situation.

If it's a mass healing situation, such as parts 4 & 5 of shroud, go ahead and use vicious, knock yourself out (lol).

If it's a single target healing situation, such as almost any tankable boss, you might not be getting mass healed every 6 seconds, and a divine will do far more damage nuking the boss than the 7 extra points of damage you get from killing yourself.

Forcing a divine to babysit your red bar because you want to do an extra 1% dps in a situation that does not call for it is a pretty selfish attitude, imo.