PDA

View Full Version : LFM= Looking for members

~Quilny
12-30-2011, 11:33 PM
My advice to all new players is read the LFM's peopel seem to join and then not meet requirements posted. Please read if you do not know what the post means ASK. Don't ask party leader ask your guild ask in advice channel Google it.

TR's only= people who have made it to 20 and TR'ed back to level 1 they will have wings above there heads.

IP=in progress

be flagged= have the pre quests done and be on quest
be attuned=have the pre quests done and be on quest attuned is a world of warcraft thing some ex-wow players have joined this game and are bringing the Lingo over :D.

Pros only= if you join dont ask us questions or to share quest get here and contribute a decent amount no pikers.

Self sufficient= be able to heal yourself with spells or scrolls/ pots do not count because they dont do enough very common mistake that pots are ok. if you are pot healign you wont be doing very much dps. if a post says be self suficient and you cant spell or scroll heal you may ask if its ok to brign a hire maybe they will let you in.

Pikers welcome= Feel free to join but do not do anything. People who post pikers welcome usually want you to hold window for them its either that or they are bored or even just want to be friendly.

If you have learned anythign form this post please learn this DO NOT JOIN A POST THAT Specifies something and then do whatever the hell you want. its a game thats true but its RUDE. If you want to lead or do your own thing Please POST your own posts.

best thing is to be Humble if you are new and willing to learn and then after you have seen and heard then be your own boss :D
Not all tr's are pros.

FrozenNova
12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
"TR/Vet only" is actually code for "Absolutely do not join this group under any circumstance."
"BYOH", or Bring Your Own Healing, is not to be confused with Bring Your Own Hireling.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
12-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Uh.. mistake #1 is in the thread title.

LFM = Looking For More

Deathdefy
12-31-2011, 12:02 AM
BYOH is bring your own heals, but sometimes people are perfectly happy to let you take in a hireling. Do ask the leader, but just be prepared for a 'no'.

JollySwagMan
12-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Looking for Members, eh?

You know, this is the internet. I'm gonna leave the inappropriate remarks to someone with a defter hand at subtlety.

badbob117
12-31-2011, 12:12 AM
"Looking for members" just sounds so dirty. I like to think of it as "Looking for more"

I have never seen a lfm up with "pro's only" or "Be attuned" in my time playing on Argo!

No friggen idea what be attuned means. You probs have people linking their bound and attuned items with a lfm like that.

Would also probably laugh my butt off if i ever saw a pro only lfm. Like what the heck?. Who does that? What does it mean? Are they some kinda major league gaming guild or something? MLG-DDO for the win? I wonder if they teabag and trash talk everything they kill? I would join just out of curiosity!

"Yo Kobold i Slapped yo moma last night, now im gonna shadowhump your skinny corpse! Booya BYotch! I am so pro! OOORah!" ;)

This is not Halo. This is DDO!

SemiraLynn
12-31-2011, 01:30 AM
I'll add in that any lfm that has something in it about "xp farming", assume most of the things in the OP:

- Probably Zerging
- In Progress
- Bring Your Own Heals
- Be Self Sufficient
- Be Flagged

You definitely should know what you're doing and be prepared for a fast paced kill-fest. I will post XP and Window Farming groups and the majority of the people who join have no clue where the quest is, have no clue what to do once they make it inside, and pretty much die within a minute and blame me for not holding their hand. I assume a -10% penalty the moment I post any lfm (I mainly just want the company and don't mind the xp loss) but it would be nice if people would read the lfm and not join something that is beyond their capability.

MsEricka
12-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Didn't read it, don't care what it says because my comment is only about what LFM means. I'm sure someone else pointed it out as well.

LFM = Looking for More

NOT looking for members.

Ugumagre
12-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Didn't read it, don't care what it says because my comment is only about what LFM means. I'm sure someone else pointed it out as well.

LFM = Looking for More

NOT looking for members.

I thought also it was looking for members, from this post:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

And the compendium:

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/DDO_Acronyms_%26_Terminology#---_L

So, I think there is no fault on the OP.

Why are you so sure it is Looking for More and not Looking for Members? or both?

7-day_Trial_Monkey
12-31-2011, 04:13 AM
The acronym LFM has been around longer than DDO has existed. Looking For More is the original definition. Even Urban Dictionary lists that as the primary meaning. It does list members as the 2nd.

ReaperAlexEU
12-31-2011, 08:44 AM
i've never had a problem asking a party leader what an acronym they are using means with a polite tell. i've been playing the game for years but it does slowly change over time. last one i had to learn was "bs", stands for bravery streak.

i do agree that its important to join the right party for your intended play style, it is rude imposing your play style on a party that was advertising for a specific play style.

I have a slightly different take on those acronyms though

TR's only often paired with "or vets" and i'll always read it as such. TRs only to me says the leader is looking for a quick run with people that know the quest backwards. I have yet to TR a single character but i'll always hop into a TR only party if i'm in the mood for some fast questing. one to avoid if you're still learning the game, unless you send the leader a tell asking if they would be happy to show you the ropes. no harm in asking.

IP an in progress quest means no guarantee of the full exp reward, or of all the chests inside. it does however mean a very quick way to get flagged for a certain quest and loot the final chest as long as you're able to get inside fast. as the party members are inside the quest they will not be able to help you get to the entrance, so if its set in a wilderness zone you'll have to be confident that you can run past or kill the mobs to get to the entrance. the wiki will help you find the entrance if you're not sure where it is, but you have to get there under your own steam. another one to avoid if you're still learning the game, the players will be busy fighting and jumping into a half completed quest is a horrible way to experience it for the first time.

BYOH you're expected to be able to keep you're self alive in the fights. while it only explicitly mentions healing you should aim to be self sufficient, which means all sorts of other pots/wands/buffs to mitigate damage. the healing you need depends a lot on your character, if you can survive the fight pots are fine for topping up after. if you can hold your own but dont know the quest then this can be a very good way to learn it. send the leader a tell asking if they would mind you learning the quest with them, sometimes they can be very accommodating and you'll learn a lot as the players tackle the quest without a divine healer.

RP stands for Role Play, most communication in this will be in character, think of it like actors playing out roles, this doesnt necessarily mean yea olde speake but it does mean a slower paced quest where the players try to make their characters react naturally to the situation and get some banter going. not one to join if you want to get the loot and exp fast but can be quite a good way to learn a quest due to the slower pace. also don't join if the thought of a dwarf complaining about the state of ale in the city or a halfling jabbing you in the knees and telling you to mind your step will irritate you.

exploring the party leader wants to hit every optional. no good for vets on a zerg but can be a good way to learn the quest for newbies.

pikers welcome often said as a joke in response to other LFM's, or for the reaver raid in gianthold. you can expect this party to contain some vets who are confident of getting a completion no matter who else joins. can be a good way to learn a quest as the vets will often be in a fun mood and really wont care how much you can hold your own. jump in and pick their brains.

parties that don't filter out class types ok, this isnt in the description, but sometimes you will see parties forming that have no care of party balance, maybe with some welcoming text to all. often a raid with too many "support" type classes that puts off people looking for good balance. while these may look like a train wreak in the making you should give them a go as they are often a honey pot for vets that just want to get the job done and don't feel the need for a perfectly balanced party. those "support" types, they could all be twinkied vets capable of out performing the more focused classes due to the experience of the player and the level of the gear. if you're new to the quest speak up, you might get a ton of help and advice.

jonqrandom
12-31-2011, 08:51 AM
"BYOH", or Bring Your Own Healing, is not to be confused with Bring Your Own Hireling.

BYOH is bring your own heals, but sometimes people are perfectly happy to let you take in a hireling. Do ask the leader, but just be prepared for a 'no'.

no no NO!
BYOH = Bring Your Own Halfling! stop confusing the poor newbs!

DavionFuxa
12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
My advice to all new players is read the LFM's peopel seem to join and then not meet requirements posted. Please read if you do not know what the post means ASK. Don't ask party leader ask your guild ask in advice channel Google it.

Probably one of the best things a player can do is ask a party leader in a LFM what the hell he wants. There shouldn't be any need to ask your guild, ask in general, ask for advice, etc; just ask the party leader and he can give a simple explanation or he can ignore you - either works and both are beneficial for the person asking.

If a Party Leader can take a simple tell asking them a question about their advertisement, then they shouldn't be leading a PUG. Doesn't matter if they are in a tell with the other half of the server either - if they don't have time to answer then fine but if they can then they should as it it improves the PUG experience for everyone.

Aurora1979
12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Would also probably laugh my butt off if i ever saw a pro only lfm. Like what the heck?. Who does that? What does it mean?

Im not sure but I think it means you're not allowed to represent your country in Olympic ddo. :)

Glenalth
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
An LFM with "In progress, be self sufficient", does not mean step in, pop a hireling, die, and recall.

countfitz
12-31-2011, 11:35 AM
TR, Vets Only, Know Quest, or "Pros Only" (which, lets be honest, nobody here has ever heard of or seen) means it's being led by a noob who wants you to carry him/her through the quest. Actual TR Vet Pros have their own channels, guilds and if not solo with a hireling until their guild has time to join.

BYOHHH is the only important one, you need to bring Klin Stegen, the halfling healing hireling, into the quest with you. Or play a halfling healing hireling yourself, in which case you've got it covered.

But seriously.

BB-Bravery Bonus. Don' ask to join if you'll break it or don't want to do it for max XP with them. Be expected not to let yourself die, cause if you do you might **** some people off.
BYOH-Be able to heal yourself
IP-In progress, you may not get full XP, so be ready for that.
Pikers welcome- This one is tricky. It might mean I'm friendly and want you to join for fun. It might ALSO mean I'm not friendly, sit at the door and pike, if you screw this up you'll be blacklisted forever. I've seen both, and the latter I've seen justified. The latter is usually for extra chances at chest loot, so also be prepared for angry players if you loot named stuff you could never use (madstone boots on a caster, for instance).
Send tell- Also tricky. It could mean "I'm a great, nice player and just happen to have a hireling" but could also mean "I'm a self righteous ****** that thinks this will somehow set me apart as some better than thou player so spend your time to prove you deserve to be in my party"
Link _____ - See above (just the last part)

Hope that helps.

Callavan
12-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Send tell- Also tricky. It could mean "I'm a great, nice player and just happen to have a hireling" but could also mean "I'm a self righteous ****** that thinks this will somehow set me apart as some better than thou player so spend your time to prove you deserve to be in my party"

I use "send tell" in mine, and it just means that I want reasonable assurance that you actually read the LFM and have a good idea that you know what we're doing. This isn't foolproof; not everyone who sends a tell has in fact read the LFM, but those who do send tells have at least proven they're willing and able to communicate.

On the other hand, those who apply without sending a tell have indeed proven that either they haven't read the LFM or else are unwilling to communicate. They get ignored. If you apply to a LFM that says "send tell" then make sure you actually send a tell first.

~Quilny
01-01-2012, 01:14 AM

LFM = Looking for More

NOT looking for members.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

How does Looking for members not make sense?? there are 6 members in party no??
so if you have 3 members in party and 1 is out of range does a error message not pop up saying party memebr is out of range? pretty sure party member is used alot in text.

also same group of 3 party members aren't they looking for 3 more party members?

If you do not know what you are talking about best not act like you do:D

and lastly it really doesn't matter because people understood what was meant.

~Quilny
01-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Probably one of the best things a player can do is ask a party leader in a LFM what the hell he wants. There shouldn't be any need to ask your guild, ask in general, ask for advice, etc; just ask the party leader and he can give a simple explanation or he can ignore you - either works and both are beneficial for the person asking.

If a Party Leader can take a simple tell asking them a question about their advertisement, then they shouldn't be leading a PUG. Doesn't matter if they are in a tell with the other half of the server either - if they don't have time to answer then fine but if they can then they should as it it improves the PUG experience for everyone.

I disagree and here is why. Lets say you have a vet player and the post reads know the quest-IP
this means we are in the quest know how to get here and how to catch up to us. If a person sends them a tell asking what IP means most likely they will get ignored or worse.

Guilds are meant to help eachother are they not?
Advice channel is menat for newer players to ask questions in is it not?

i am sad that these do not get used more. When I am in the crafting hall i try to pay attention to advice channel to help people with questions. However if im in middle of quest healing a party i do not have time to respond to tells. post is up for a decent player to join not to explain to new players how things work. i am not above giving advice to new players i just don't want to do it as im running a quest.

Im not saying i auto squelch people who send me tells i usually just ignore them because i am busy keeping people alive. the groups i run with are almost alway fast paced which leaves me no time to respond to tells.

back to the whole dont ask guild just frusterates me because it seems like the only reason people join guilds is for ship buffs :s there should be more guild decay for guilds that don't use guild chat and don't group with eachother.

Solmage
01-01-2012, 01:34 AM
TR, Vets Only, Know Quest, or "Pros Only" (which, lets be honest, nobody here has ever heard of or seen) means it's being led by a noob who wants you to carry him/her through the quest. Actual TR Vet Pros have their own channels, guilds and if not solo with a hireling until their guild has time to join.

In general the LFM will actually read "Experienced Only/Zerg/BYOH/IP" because exactly 1 second after being put up, the quest will be starting with or without you. However, the purpose is to meet up with other experienced people you normally don't group with regularly, usually because you're logging on outside your regular time zone, or wanted to expand your circle of friends.

(Or your other friend said you should be more sociable and put up an lfm, and you just wanted to show her, again, why that is the way of the devil :) )

Dagolar
01-01-2012, 02:43 AM
LFM as interpreted as Looking for Members is not incorrect. Regardless of your preferences, or merits between the two interpretations, picking at that is like picking at the difference between reading IIRC as "If I recall correctly" and "If I remember correctly". As long as the meaning is understood, it's fine- and for explaining that purpose, Looking for Members is perhaps more suitable.

In any case, I'd just be pleased if people started recognizing that greyed-out groups aren't suited for them. So if I'm posting for, say, a 4-6 Bard,Artificer, Rogue, I don't want a level 11 Fighter or Level 3 Sorcerer. And no, no matter what the reasoning is that they should be allowed into the group, or how angrily they protest, if the LFM makes a certain amount of sense, it's probably for a reason that will continue to exclude them. And if it doesn't make sense.. well, that's Xoriat's fault, and we're too busy working on puzzles to care for such nuances.

As for acronyms, it's easy enough getting an answer from the wiki, other internet resources, your guild, or the party leader in question.
I've even had random people send me tells to ask me questions before, just because I walked by them..
..that's going to have to be an approach that I'd like to encourage saving as a last resort, however.

Though yes, you're right. My shoes are lovely, and totally match my goggles.

And as long as you don't zerg in [non-favor] runs that don't explicitly encourage zerging, don't send me blind invites to parties or guilds, don't cause conflict over meaningless things, use half-way decent grammar and spelling, and accept that when I say I'm busy I'm actually busy and not trying to start a fight with you [person I don't know] we'll be okay.

:)

WruntJunior
01-01-2012, 03:18 AM
In general the LFM will actually read "Experienced Only/Zerg/BYOH/IP" because exactly 1 second after being put up, the quest will be starting with or without you. However, the purpose is to meet up with other experienced people you normally don't group with regularly, usually because you're logging on outside your regular time zone, or wanted to expand your circle of friends.

(Or your other friend said you should be more sociable and put up an lfm, and you just wanted to show her, again, why that is the way of the devil :) )

Or, in the case of my TR buddy and me, looking for some sort of humor, be it from people doing stupid things or actually getting people with a sense of humor (the latter is more preferred, the former is more realistic) or because we want one buff that would be enormously helpful and is expensive/difficult/annoying to acquire (FoM for crucible, for example...mephits + gnoll elementalists = annoying).

Edit: Might as well contribute to the thread. Don't join a BYOH or IP thread if you don't know the way to the quest, and don't ask for a share to a walk-up in either group. It's just annoying. Now, if you get to Crucible and forgot to grab the quest, I'll share it happily as I forget to grab it often as well - try to do the same with Cabal, I'll probably laugh at you.

DavionFuxa
01-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Guilds are meant to help eachother are they not?
Advice channel is menat for newer players to ask questions in is it not?

Guilds may have at one point been there just for people to join together and associate with each other. Some still are, others however aren't. Ship Buffs rather changed the game quite a bit in that now we have guilds where people just join to help themselves.

Advice is also a tricky subject because sometimes you'll get trolled or misinformed, neither of which a new player should be subjected too.

As for the party leader itself, if he's too busy to answer then it is fine for him to ignore the question or to wait in a break for the action. There is nothing wrong with ignoring a tell and in this game it certainly isn't rude because it's fairly commonplace. Its a good signal to the player wanting to join that he should look elsewhere because whoever he is messaging is possibly busy/afk/ignoring him.

In any case though, that's just something to disagree on if you don't agree.

Note, I would hate to see any more reason given for Guilds to just group with each other. We already have problems with PUGs as it is, we don't need more reason for people in Guilds not to form/join PUGs.

Absolute-Omniscience
01-01-2012, 08:54 AM

No. Just no.
While it is more common that vets and TRs have their own group, etc. It is still fairly common that those groups with "TR only" and whatnot consist of good players. I often duo my way to 20, but from time to time I see a TR only group doing something I need to do at that moment, and then I join. Like xorian in my last life, we beat those 10 runs in 40 minutes total, with the chest (only one person looted, however). Sure, it was mostly because of me and my mate, but we still had suprisingly good players in the group. Everyone would have been able to solo it, if not for the bloody 2-man(4 man if you want the best time) requirement.

I have, however, never been in a "TR only" group that has had *bad* players.

"TR only" basically means that the person is sick and tired of baddies that just go and die, or that they have a quest that needs 2 (or more) people for completion (see above).

RabidKoala
01-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I thought BYOH meant Bring Your Own Halfling

Solmage
01-01-2012, 11:02 AM
I thought BYOH meant Bring Your Own Halfling

We really should hold weekly raids in which we bring our own halfling as offering to the pagan gods, while we frolic around merrily and roast marshmallows. And halflings.

Arnhelm
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
We really should hold weekly raids in which we bring our own halfling as offering to the pagan gods, while we frolic around merrily and roast marshmallows. And halflings.
They're quite good broiled... Er... The marshmallows, I mean. :p

LordMond63
01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Halfling...The Other Other White Meat.