PDA

View Full Version : overlevel loot penalty?

assimilateur
12-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I've been told that you are penalized loot-wise (supposedly making named items less likely to appear or lowering the treasure level) if you're significantly over a given area's level.

I'd expect this to be common knowledge if it were true, but so far I think I've only heard this from one person. If that guy wasn't far more experienced in this game than me, I'd probably dismiss his claim out of hand.

NaturalHazard
12-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I've been told that you are penalized loot-wise (supposedly making named items less likely to appear or lowering the treasure level) if you're significantly over a given area's level.

I'd expect this to be common knowledge if it were true, but so far I think I've only heard this from one person. If that guy wasn't far more experienced in this game than me, I'd probably dismiss his claim out of hand.

This is the first ive heard of this. Ive gotten named loot quite a lot in lower level areas on level 20's.

Meetch1972
12-28-2011, 05:11 AM
No evidence of such a phenomenon seen in my 2 and a bit years...

Glenalth
12-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Nope.

If I remember correctly, there is a function that works the other way around though. So that a level 1 character opening a level 20 chest is going to see significantly reduced loot.

Kriogen
12-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Its the other way around. If you are too low level. But in most (all) cases thats hard to do as your level 1 char has a problem to enter lets say Vale. Many area have "must be level X to enter" restriction.

Maybe it changed, but at one point I think it was like this. It was to prevent "swap from high level ransacked char to fresh lowbie" farming. If Im not wrong it was like 5+ levels above.

I do remember there was a restiction, but waaay above your level.

Garix
12-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Guild renown takes a major hit if your over level*, but as others have said everything else is fine

*99% sure that the renown drops in chest are reduced/eliminated if your too far over level. I know that the end reward will have no renown

G

TempestAlphaOmega
12-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Have not heard of named items being impacted or even random gen loot, however essence drops I do remember a discussion not to long ago where if you were over level it did appear to be reducing the drops for them.

Lifespawn
12-28-2011, 07:46 AM
is used to be that plat farmers would run from beyond the grave on a high char and 5 other dummy lvl 1 accounts and just loot/repeat so they made it that lower levels opening a chest too high gets scaled down loot.

assimilateur
12-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Just as I thought, and thanks for clearing that up.

AZgreentea
12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Guild renown takes a major hit if your over level*, but as others have said everything else is fine

*99% sure that the renown drops in chest are reduced/eliminated if your too far over level. I know that the end reward will have no renown

G
Indeed, it was built that way from the begining. Every level over I think 1 (so starting at 2 lvls over) applies a 20% reduction in chance. The same effect seems to have been applied to essences starting in U10~ish, but has never been confirmed as far as I know. I have heard it seems to work the same for festivult coins, but I havent run a quest significantly over level since the event began to test this myself. Anecdotally I seem to get more gold coins when I run a quest at or over level.

I have never heard or seen this being applied to loot, named or random. I finished my over level favor farm pre U12, so if it did get changed it had to have been then.

Superspeed_Hi5
12-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Im pretty sure the real way loot is screwed is running on Casual. I have run stuff over level in order to get the named drop I was looking for on another toon and have never had an issue but the Devs had said when introducing the casual setting that running on Casual impacted your chance of named loot.

Urist
12-28-2011, 09:19 AM
The same effect seems to have been applied to essences starting in U10~ish, but has never been confirmed as far as I know. I have heard it seems to work the same for festivult coins, but I havent run a quest significantly over level since the event began to test this myself.
Anecdotally, I can say that I certainly saw essences stop appearing in greatly under-level chests after one of the updates. Before that, incidentally, they were regularly appearing in all chests - even ones which otherwise only contained quest objects (keys, etc.).

Festivult coins do not seem to be quite so affected IME. Even running a level 3 quest on casual, with a level 12 character, chests always seem to contain coins. Perhaps not anything more than coppers, but certainly those.

Ganolyn
12-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Anecdotally, I can say that I certainly saw essences stop appearing in greatly under-level chests after one of the updates. Before that, incidentally, they were regularly appearing in all chests - even ones which otherwise only contained quest objects (keys, etc.).

Festivult coins do not seem to be quite so affected IME. Even running a level 3 quest on casual, with a level 12 character, chests always seem to contain coins. Perhaps not anything more than coppers, but certainly those.

I haven't seen an essence drop in a wilderness area rare chest at any level since the last couple of updates. I would be inundated by them before. Coin drops I think are independent of quest level. I just ransacked Haverdasher on a lvl 20 and got a gold and a few silver. The only thing I noticed different was that I usually get three coppers in higher chests and in there I would get only one most of the time.