View Full Version : TR your Tomes away

MRH
12-23-2011, 02:18 AM
(retaining tomes after TR)

So this game has everything to do with planning your characters

That said we all need to determine if :

1: will I ever TR

2: what will I TR into if I do TR

If you never plan to TR then use all the tomes you want to build your character for lvl 20... end of story.

If you plan to TR then you have to determine what tomes you use in each life if any.

Currently you will loose any tomes used from previous life........ so

Suggestion :
Lets have the ability to retain tomes after a TR

If you use +1 tomes on first life , you can use +2/+3/+4 tomes on 2nd life
2nd life if you used +2 tomes, your 3rd life you can only use +3/+4 tomes and so on

IF and WHEN you ever use a +4 tome for a stat.... you will not be able to use anymore tomes. Want to use all +4s on first life ? great your +4's will carry over to next life, but you cant ever use tomes again.

That would work......... but not this :
1st life eat +4 str , then tr and retain +4 to str, then on that 2nd life use another +4str , then TR , then on 3rd life use another +4str etc .... shouldn't be stacking from life to life.

So I propose that we are able to keep tomes after TR's .... but once you use the highest tome for that stat....... you can't use any tome if you TR again.

These will not stack from TR to TR , but give you the difference of + from what tome you used last life.

What do you think ?

Rizzia
12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Would be better if they were retained and automatically added at lvls 3,7,11,(15? cant remember). Have a +3 and a +4 tome on my monk that in all likelyhood will never be used out of fear that I may want to TR again.

Templarion
12-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I have eaten +2 tomes (1, 2 or 3) each life (lived through nine of them). I have never spent TP on the tomes and I have never transfered a single tome from another toon to my main. It is trivial to get enough +2 tomes and I have never actually farmed for them.

+3 and +4 tomes are not needed for anything, you can attain the same bonus via TR'ing or better equipment.

I see no problem in the current mechanic.

R0cksteady
12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I have eaten +2 tomes (1, 2 or 3) each life (lived through nine of them). I have never spent TP on the tomes and I have never transfered a single tome from another toon to my main. It is trivial to get enough +2 tomes and I have never actually farmed for them.

+3 and +4 tomes are not needed for anything, you can attain the same bonus via TR'ing or better equipment.

I see no problem in the current mechanic.

+1 or +2 tomes are not needed for anything either.

If you really have no problem losing one of the rarest raid loots in the game as a ++4 tome on TRing, you're just upset that you've never pulled one.

On topic, I think it's already confirmed that they're working on it for a future update.

Templarion
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
+1 or +2 tomes are not needed for anything either.

If you really have no problem losing one of the rarest raid loots in the game as a ++4 tome on TRing, you're just upset that you've never pulled one.

On topic, I think it's already confirmed that they're working on it for a future update.

Could be. I have never pulled one.

On the other hand, I have done well without the most "must have" equipment (forums told me). This game is just too easy. But no... it must be that I am just overly jealous that I have never pulled +3 or +4 tome. :)

Never mind, good thing that they are working on it finally. Looks like many people want to retain their tomes through reincarnation so then it should be done. Delight the fans, right? ;)

Galeria
12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Why would you eat a tome? It's a book, not a cupcake.

I read them...

Ravoc-DDO
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
+3/+4 Tomes should either be made TR persistent, or be removed from the game. In the current state they are just dust collecting bank space filler.

ArcaneMelee
12-24-2011, 03:03 PM

Do you have a link to a Turbine rep saying that? The last one I saw from them stating this mysteriously vanished.

Full_Bleed
12-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I actually think TR retention should scale something like the hard/elite unlock does.

Make it simple.

2nd life you can retain up to +2.
3rd life and you retain up to +3.
4th life and you can retain up to +4.

Store bought Tomes should be retained regardless of TR. If they want to actually sell those expensive tomes, they should make them have more tangible value.

umeannothing
12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
(retaining tomes after TR)

So this game has everything to do with planning your characters

That said we all need to determine if :

1: will I ever TR

2: what will I TR into if I do TR

If you never plan to TR then use all the tomes you want to build your character for lvl 20... end of story.

If you plan to TR then you have to determine what tomes you use in each life if any.

Currently you will loose any tomes used from previous life........ so

Suggestion :
Lets have the ability to retain tomes after a TR

If you use +1 tomes on first life , you can use +2/+3/+4 tomes on 2nd life
2nd life if you used +2 tomes, your 3rd life you can only use +3/+4 tomes and so on

IF and WHEN you ever use a +4 tome for a stat.... you will not be able to use anymore tomes. Want to use all +4s on first life ? great your +4's will carry over to next life, but you cant ever use tomes again.

That would work......... but not this :
1st life eat +4 str , then tr and retain +4 to str, then on that 2nd life use another +4str , then TR , then on 3rd life use another +4str etc .... shouldn't be stacking from life to life.

So I propose that we are able to keep tomes after TR's .... but once you use the highest tome for that stat....... you can't use any tome if you TR again.

These will not stack from TR to TR , but give you the difference of + from what tome you used last life.

What do you think ?

I think this is overly complicating things. Would be much easier, I forgot who originated this idea, to make tomes not get 'used up' and disappear after eating them, but rather make them BtC if once you read it.

This idea would essentially do what you are asking, and save tons of time having to go through the TR coding as it is (of which, with the current track record of fixing things that aren't broke until they are broke we run the risk of being given broken TR's). Just as good, easier, faster, and less chance to break TR by just changing the way the tome works imo, I often read the same book MANY times (Wheel of time series I have read no less than 15 times) I see no reason why a book shouldn't be re-readable in the game too. Plus, I would rather they broke tomes than my character if I TR.

Expalphalog
12-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Why would you eat a tome? It's a book, not a cupcake.

I read them...

On the other hand, maybe I would have actually enjoyed "A Catcher in the Rye" if it had been on rye with mustard and pickles...