PDA

View Full Version : Moar fun: TVT

Galeria
12-21-2011, 05:10 PM
TL;DR- Make end game about playing other players and not all about grinding gear.

Fair warning: Wall of Text is imminent. Run away now if it scares you.

The way the game is now, getting to 20 means you start running the same quests you ran to get to 20 all over again, with more boss HP and damage so you can upgrade gear. This is not so exciting. What would make end game exciting?

I hate PVP. To me, PVP is griefing. A three second pounding and kill/kill/death/res/kill/kill/death/res/kill/kill/death is neither sustainable nor fun. Sorry, PVPers, just my personal view.

I enjoy TVT. Team versus team.

I have used the brawling arenas and enjoy them, but they suffer from a lack of widespread knowledge that they are there and nothing to encourage grouping. (LFM board, I'm looking at you! Why u no offer arena options?)

Team capture the flag is amazingly fun because you are playing against real players instead of NPC's and it's already in the game. A relatively simple enhancement to the game would be to add arena TVT options to the LFM board.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z452/midnightguardians/tvt.jpg

Sure, TVT is fun, but what do I get?

A daily leaderboard. A new tab on the "O" social panel that lists top teams of the day. Give team leaders a way to name their team and display it, just like the grouping board where you can mouse over and see the names of the winning teams. Display stats like time or number of deaths. Resets every 24 hours.
Option to add wins automatically to bio. Graphic badge, maybe?
Short term cosmetic enhancement like a sash that last for an hour. Or a pimp hat. Something awesome.

But... how does this work for end game?

We have guilds. Currently, guilds help you keep up with the people you want to play with and offer ship buffs in exchange for renown. It's a nice system.

But what if your guild was your team? What if your guild was fielding teams for tournament play in challenges?

With a little structuring and tweaking, challenges could have a leaderboard for best times, most collections, etc. that update daily. Guilds or just PUG groups (allowed to select a name for their team) could compete for the top of the board. Or run head to head at the same time for bonus ingredients for winners, less for losers.

The ultimate team versus team would be actual quests or challenges where players competed to win objectives or wipe out the other team. Special TVT gear could only be used in these adventures and ideally, there would be some randomness as well as teamwork/strategy but ideally, they would be a place where your fully geared toon could gain additional achievements.

Actually, the ultimate TVT challenges might include a rare, random red-named boss who dropped an awesome chest if you managed to kill it before it killed you, manned by a real Turbine employee. So, you were fighting each other, now you have to work together to fight the Obsidian Dragon if anyone is going to survive!

Live tournaments hosted by Turbine employees, with trophies and cosmetic items to the winners. (Hey devs, want some concentrated data on classes/gear/etc? Host a live challenge and start studying the results.)

TVT challenges would earn your guild trophies to display on your ship. Winning a tournament would grant you a genie on your ship for an hour who would randomly insult visitors who are not in your guild and grant short term buffs like fly to guild members.

Inviting people to your ship for buffs would be more than just "Wow, it's red" and more of a "Wow, look at all those trophies. How do I get to be a part of a guild like this?"

Guilds would get together and organized to train team members to handle positions on their challenge/TVT play. Although you could do it at any level, it really makes sense to make the major TVT stuff a level 20 end-game perk.

Summary:

I don't think grinding more levels (increase of level cap) sounds like fun.
I don't think more epics of the sort we have now is fun. More HP, more damage, more deaths, get to the chest ASAP.
I think teamwork challenges against other teams would be constantly changing, replayable and build guild loyalty. (Or drama. Yay, drama!)
I think smart players could outdo geared players in TVT, as long as it doesn't become a "find-the-fastest-way-to-do-it-every-time" predictable thing where there's only one way to win.
I think a lot of this is very close to being able to work without huge investments of resources. Think small, think test... roll it out bigger as you get results.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see what would happen if you just made it possible to post for brawling arena groups.

Angelus_dead
12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
I hate PVP. To me, PVP is griefing. A three second pounding and kill/kill/death/res/kill/kill/death/res/kill/kill/death is neither sustainable nor fun. Sorry, PVPers, just my personal view.

I enjoy TVT. Team versus team.
If the Ts are groups of Ps, then "TVT" is a kind of PVP...

Team capture the flag is amazingly fun because you are playing against real players instead of NPC's and it's already in the game.
Actually, DDO's CTF is only fun so long as the people aren't really trying well, which tends to happen if a game is unpopular. If the game type were popular enough to get people really looking at how it works, they'd start gravitating towards more effective tactics which turn out to also make it less fun.

DDO isn't designed to be fun for PVP, and it would be (at best) a major effort to change that.

MsEricka
12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
No. Not ever.

Any devlopment into pvp or team vs team is a waste of time.

also note that team vs team = pvp. You can put makeup on a pig, it's still a pig. Dont try and make it sound any different than what it is.

Kmnh
12-21-2011, 07:15 PM
PVP/TVT would be a huge boost to this game.

Talias006
12-22-2011, 02:44 AM
PVP/TVT would be a huge boost to this game.

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Rian
12-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I do not think that word means what you think it means...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk Figured I'd give you a hand :D

Also, there's a reason that PVP is underdeveloped in this game.
1) People do not like it, and probably think it was a waste of time and development
2) It would take an overhaul to balance it out with current gear, I don't think anyone can survive the artificer's Lucent Dreams rune arm, or casters, or rangers and their LitII+Slaying, or anything, it's all who gets the first procs.
3) Did I mention not a lot of people like it?

Veriden
12-22-2011, 08:08 AM
No. Not ever.

Any devlopment into pvp or team vs team is a waste of time.

also note that team vs team = pvp. You can put makeup on a pig, it's still a pig. Dont try and make it sound any different than what it is.

Way I look at it is,
They're going to waste their development time on stuff we don't like/don't want anyways...so um who cares about development time being wasted? How many hours per day at work do you do stuff to only look productive?