PDA

View Full Version : Epic, TR, lvl 20 & beyond

Lagin
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
1) Epic lvl 21 to 25. These "lvls" are for both the character & the quest difficulty.
Just as current mechanics N/ H/ Leet are used, each lvl increases that setting and adds some kind of factor for the content being run. (ie, construct, outsider etc...) This makes that particular environment situational. (your toon is capped, you can grind for needed weapons & items no problem)

2) Advancing thru epic lvls.; A token or favor needs to be in place to make this happen. As each epic quest is completed, you attain a token or points to advance up.

3) Decay of said tokens or favor.; This is actually a biggie. You're at end-game, you want to run that tweaked toon in the "new" system, if the status of that toon becomes idle, you start to lose that token or favor. (Keeps things fresh & active)

4) Running content above your epic lvl. I suggest no. It is in essence a short cut or free ride. And that's not the idea here. We're talking about making you earn higher lvls, not giving them to you.

5) TR's in the "new" system.; For every life attained, you gain a point or token or a deduction in the lvling up requirements. Completionists deserve even a bigger bonus if not a free ride thru several epic lvls.

6) I also suggest a system of house favor being brought in to play. ie, Melees are "anchored" to House D by nature of the class. Specializing in the warfare end of things, attaining max house favor bestows additional benefits in that houses Epic content. (yuppers casters would not get that in ETides, and same applies in other houses)

7) Red Names.; I dont think raising all stats & saves is the right answer. as I stated earlier, I think they should become more situational. And have more minor bosses to keep you away from the head honcho.

That's the base of my proposal. I have a few other thoughts, but need some time before I figure out how they tie into things.

What do you all think?

grodon9999
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I started with a long segmented reply, but it just boils down to no way in hell.

Lagin
12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
The concept is sound, and is the only posted solution Ive seen so far.

Im trying to start a discussion about fixing end game.

I didnt just come up with the idea when I sat down yesterday. It was kicked around for weeks with other people, and without doing a complete overhaul, it's a decent proposal.

I'll ask this,,
we have epic characters & gear with a small handful of quests to run. lvl cap being increased isnt going to happen with the current system of TR's & epic content already released, so how do you expand end-game?

Even releasing other quests in an epic setting isnt a real viable answer, as we're talking about a ton of coding work for the older quests. Remember the Reaver was going to be released in epic, but was trashed because of issues with the mechanics & coding of that quest. Maybe in 2012 we get to see that happen, but right now, there is nothing (we know of) that would indicate any changes are being made.

Maybe the advancement & decay is too over the top for some to appreciate, but keep in mind, this is end game.

For the player w/ epic gear, you are used to the grind factor, so my proposal shouldnt bother you that much.

For the person not interested in epic gear & quests, it also gives them the chance to be involved w/ those that do on a level & fair playing field.

Thrudh
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
What do you as an reward for advancing an "epic" level?

I completely hate the idea of level "decay" by the way.

Cyr
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

I completely hate the idea of level "decay" by the way.

Thrudh if you have not seen my endless hamster wheel suggestion in the other thread about this subject check it out. It's a kind of eternal grind if you want to idea, but you really do not gain much beyond a certain point.

Oh and I concur level decay is a horrible idea.

Lagin
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Good question.

Same as we have now, nothing. :eek:

Really, whats the point? At cap w/ epic gear we get nada right now, so why should my proposal include something that we have never gotten for attaining cap? :cool:

Side note about the decay. The epic lvls are intrinsic, and dont affect any other part of the game. and in fact is part of the posts made by cyr about the hamster wheel. It's a never ending cycle.

rdasca
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
/not signed

Biggest reason is the decay part, to keep at the top end of your system people would have to pretty much run one toon all the time to keep from decaying to a lower level.

Also the favor idea, not sure if I follow you, but how would that work?
House D for Fighters, Barbs, and maybe Rangers,
House P for Bards,
Silver Flame for Clerics and maybe FvS,
House K for ?,
House J for Clerics, FvS, and Pallys,
Free Agents for Rouges,
House C for Artis,
The Twelve for Arcanes,
Yugoloth for ?
The Coin Lords for ?
Argonnessen for ?

So why would I take my Arcane into anything but The Twelve which has zero epics anyway?

grodon9999
12-08-2011, 12:37 PM
/not signed

Biggest reason is the decay part, to keep at the top end of your system people would have to pretty much run one toon all the time to keep from decaying to a lower level.

Decay on character advancement is an absolutely horrible idea.

Lagin
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll be upfront with you all, ANY decay is a BAD thing. I thought it would be a way to keep the wheels turning.

I hate grinding, if it were not for the bravery bonus I would have never TR'ed another toon.

And as I am having a blast running all quests, I wonder what Ill do for an encore.

Lets get down to facts, current epic config sucks. imo

It was a band-aide for end game, and now we're stuck with it. I'm only trying to stimulate thought & idea farming, in hopes someone in HQ is taking it all in, and discussing it.

Gaming is fun!! Grinding is not. My idea is to expand on what is in place currently. Because what we have now isnt fun. For me anyways.

And the op is appreciative of the feedback. thanks.

Lagin
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Decay on character advancement is an absolutely horrible idea.

Never mentioned. You're capped, you can't advance. That's part of the problem.

maddmatt70
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Obviously there has to be some reward otherwise people will not care much one way or the other. I am curious to see what the future is in DDO. I agree that Turbine does need to make some sort of system changes to the game. True Reincarnation has been around for awhile and has gotten stale in a sense. The challenge system overall does not seem like a success. The challenge system seems like regular questing really, but more FTPish so the likley dev time investment in the challenge system does not seem warranted. Crafting was added which has engaged and interested some people.

It is really hard to see if DDO is going anywhere or if it has hit its wall so to speak and we will see nothing more creative to come, but just a few more classes/races and some more quests and a couple more raids.

Lagin
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Obviously there has to be some reward otherwise people will not care much one way or the other. I am curious to see what the future is in DDO. I agree that Turbine does need to make some sort of system changes to the game. True Reincarnation has been around for awhile and has gotten stale in a sense. The challenge system overall does not seem like a success. The challenge system seems like regular questing really, but more FTPish so the likley dev time investment in the challenge system does not seem warranted. Crafting was added which has engaged and interested some people.

It is really hard to see if DDO is going anywhere or if it has hit its wall so to speak and we will see nothing more creative to come, but just a few more classes/races and some more quests and a couple more raids.

VERY well said.

(on that note, Ill exit this thread while the getting is good)

+1