PDA

View Full Version : New spell: Mage Hand

Jondera
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
So, the idea for this spell grew out of some thoughts I had on a Pit run, as well as some general mulling on the subject.

In PnP, Wizards and Sorcerers have a cantrip called Mage Hand, which is very basic telekinesis. Why not translate that into DDO in the form of a first level spell?

The two main things I would see it used for would be:

1) Activating switches/levers/etc at range. The Mage Hand could have a calculated Strength score of, say, 8 + (int modifier) or something, for the purpose of pulling Str-locked levers.

2) Could be used against a hostile mob to make a trip attack (again, at range). The trip would have the same DC as a regular first level spell, just to keep things simple.

I could see it being at least half-decent crowd control at very low levels, and a handy utility spell later, when you have to pull a trapped lever or something.

Such755
12-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I like it.
Make the mage hand in some funky school like Illusioin, which most arcanes don't care to boost, so not every arcane will run with high DC for a spell that trips from a distance.

/Signed.

Failedlegend
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I like it.
Make the mage hand in some funky school like Illusioin, which most arcanes don't care to boost, so not every arcane will run with high DC for a spell that trips from a distance.

/Signed.

Agreed Illsion could use some more spells

Also you could make it have two uses like DBF

1) The stuff mentioned above

2) Cast as a buff that automatically picks up purple bags,gems gold,etc. and automatically smashes boxes

Another possiblity is for Wiz/Rogues which combined with Mage hand you can disable traps...I still say we should get multiclass PrEs ie. Arcane Trickster which gets this ability and SA on touch attacks and a few other things i cant remeber

Jondera
12-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I like it.

/Signed.

Well, in PnP, it's a Transmutation spell, which doesn't have many DC spells either.

As for using it for traps, that's a little more specialized... I could see an Arcane Trickster PrE allowing a Ranged Legerdemain effect, but not a level 1 spell. And that would be a different suggestion thread.

Doxmaster
12-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I cant really say I'm in favor of it.

Failedlegend
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
As for using it for traps, that's a little more specialized... I could see an Arcane Trickster PrE allowing a Ranged Legerdemain effect, but not a level 1 spell. And that would be a different suggestion thread.

Heh sorry I try to spawn interest in multiclass PrEs any chance I can get...I loved Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, etc.

Aesop
12-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Like the idea.

Str = 10 + Caster Level + Int Modifier that would make it useful for opening doors etc