PDA

View Full Version : Training Dummy v2.0

ssgcmwatson
12-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I know people have long advocated a training dummy that could imitate the resistances and weaknesses of certain monsters to test weapon sets. /bump that idea

Additionally, I would like to ask that a timer automatically start when you first hit the dummy and end when it "dies," and then tell you your average DPS.

Such755
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
That idea sounds like a blast. /super signed for it.

FranOhmsford
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Love the timer idea - would also like a symbol above my head if I don't wish for help beating up said dummy.

Having to thank someone for helping you out when you wanted to test your dps can get pretty annoying.

Not many have guild chat on non-stop btw so typing in guild chat that you're testing your dps is not much help.

BOgre
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
That may be easy to do. The dummy could be set up to only accept incoming damage from whichever toon has drawn its 'aggro', which would be the 1st toon to hit it.

/signed

Silverwren
12-05-2011, 07:22 AM
I like your idea but I'd like to add to it.

In addition to melee toons being able to test weapons on it, spell casters should be able to test out the damage they do with spells. Spell casting should work within a certain radius of the dummy.

ssgcmwatson
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I like your idea but I'd like to add to it.

In addition to melee toons being able to test weapons on it, spell casters should be able to test out the damage they do with spells. Spell casting should work within a certain radius of the dummy.

works for me!

Talias006
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that's something that kinda irked me.

I can sort of understand not wanting everyone being able to spam glittery and graphically intense magic all the time.

But in a finite area around the dummy, and with a testing reservation set to the single caster this should be a lot easier on low end machines to resolve and keep the game flowing.

It's not like people need to test how effective grease or sleet storm is to an inanimate object incapable of slipping and falling. :rolleyes:

Gurei
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
this idea is great! Ideally (for me at least) a caster dummy could come in the same update :D

/signed

EDIT: my bad silverwren, love your (original and more thought out) idea, i just tend to stop reading after the 1st 2 or 3 posts lol. +1 to OP and silverwren ^_^

sephiroth1084
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
If it could be accomplished without being a huge drain on dev resources and without cascading bugs throughout the rest of the game, I would be very excited for a dummy that:

Had a read-out updated every 2-6 seconds or so with who was registering the most threat, and what that value is currently.
Provided a damage dealt/time to kill read-out upon dropping the dummy.
The ability to set the dummy to only accept incoming attacks from the first person to hit it, possibly allowing for multiple iterations of a dummy within the same space (doubt this is doable).
Change the settings on airship zones to allow for spellcasting, or add an option to the PvP arenas for a testing room where all spells are ON (ie, simply a private instance with a dummy to test spells/spell DPS)
Allow the dummy to be configured to mimic different targets in the game, say, with a DR value slider, alignment slider and fortification slider. DR would all be X/-- as if you're testing a DR breaker, you could just set it to 0 to simulate that without having to add a separate setting.
Maybe include an option to double, triple or quadruple the dummy's HP.

Lifeblood
12-05-2011, 08:59 PM
If it could be accomplished without being a huge drain on dev resources and without cascading bugs throughout the rest of the game, I would be very excited for a dummy that:

Had a read-out updated every 2-6 seconds or so with who was registering the most threat, and what that value is currently.
Provided a damage dealt/time to kill read-out upon dropping the dummy.
The ability to set the dummy to only accept incoming attacks from the first person to hit it, possibly allowing for multiple iterations of a dummy within the same space (doubt this is doable).
Change the settings on airship zones to allow for spellcasting, or add an option to the PvP arenas for a testing room where all spells are ON (ie, simply a private instance with a dummy to test spells/spell DPS)
Allow the dummy to be configured to mimic different targets in the game, say, with a DR value slider, alignment slider and fortification slider. DR would all be X/-- as if you're testing a DR breaker, you could just set it to 0 to simulate that without having to add a separate setting.
Maybe include an option to double, triple or quadruple the dummy's HP.

Stop Playing on the forums and go lvl your Cleric...

sephiroth1084
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Stop Playing on the forums and go lvl your Cleric...
Heh, I miss you too, Tico. You and your sunny disposition.

Dragaer
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM

t0r012
12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I think a simplier version would be to have a separate instanced "DPS Dummy" on every ship. almost like any dungeon where pretty much anything goes all spells unlocked.

if your in a party they can enter with you or go alone for full on solo DPS testing.

edit: add

have a fly out menu to which instance you go in for the available fort/resistance dummies. each is individually purchased like any ship amenity.
heck have a few pre mades that look like their intended replicas. a nice straw Harry or eVelah.
pay plat like all other ship shrines recurring plat per instance or some extra astrals during construction to have the amenity built on with all the big baddies always available.

Silverwren
12-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I like all the additional suggestions. It needs to be kept in mind though that a lot of people just like to beat up the dummy for the buff and that's all. So I'm not too sure multiple instances of dummies would be a good idea.

I think I'd prefer that it be kept as simple as possible, so that there's less of a chance of it crashing or bogging the game down. Just an area to test weapons and spells, perhaps as Sephiroth suggests a slider to adjust the DC or HP or AC, and also to pick up the buff it provides.