PDA

View Full Version : DDO store for Plat

Fejj
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
From the release notes: -
Many weapons, armor and shields that can be purchased from the DDO Store can now be sold to vendors in the game.

Is this something to worry about? I do not have lamannia loaded currently, but it seems to be a TP for Plat exchange.

To anyone that checks - Thank you

dynahawk
12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
I was thinking the same thing. But I cant see where the TP to plat ratio is anything to affect the economy(Not confirmed). More likely it is to let the people who buy the gear with TP to get something out of it once the outgrow the gear.

But again, it is one more step closer to plat for TP.

RobertVesco
12-02-2011, 07:29 AM
You would pay so much real life cash for the weapons and get so little plat back, it would only make sense if you were insane.

somenewnoob
12-02-2011, 07:39 AM
You would pay so much real life cash for the weapons and get so little plat back, it would only make sense if you were insane.

Yeah this. Would take a ridiculous amount of real $$$ to make a decent amount of plat.

You'd be better off using a TP code to trade for some LDS and selling the LDS for plat.

Fejj
12-02-2011, 08:10 AM

I agree, but don't you remember when you first started, and getting your first 5K plat was hard? I took me forever to get my first 100K .... now I spend that on heal scrolls weekly.

It all depennds on the ratio ... I see it as a new player trap more that anything. (unless the ratio is real messed up)

AZgreentea
12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Someone did the math in a different thread. The weps still have a regular base value, so to buy a Scale (in their servers market) would cost about $4k real dollars.

So if you really want that Scale...

Qezuzu
12-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Someone did the math in a different thread. The weps still have a regular base value, so to buy a Scale (in their servers market) would cost about $4k real dollars.

omg, pay two win. i quit.

Catering to the ultra rich. Turbin, why do this?

somenewnoob
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM

The game is rigged for the top 1% to win........:p

Fejj
12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

AHHH - thats what I was hoping, i just could not find another thread.

Thanks!

Cam_Neely
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM

If this is true/continues, I don't see a problem, but it is a foot on a slippery slope.

Qaliya
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
If this is true/continues, I don't see a problem, but it is a foot on a slippery slope.

Yes and no. There are already many ways to effectively buy plat indirectly.

For example:

Player A: Gets major mana pots, keeps them to use.
Player B: Gets major mana pots, sells them for plat, buys (better) mana pots from the DDO store.

Same with many other items... easier and more effective. At current prices, a pack of 100 superior store mana pots is worth around 4 million pp, and can be purchased for under $10 if you time it right.

MrkGrismer
12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
From the release notes: -
Many weapons, armor and shields that can be purchased from the DDO Store can now be sold to vendors in the game.

Is this something to worry about? I do not have lamannia loaded currently, but it seems to be a TP for Plat exchange.

To anyone that checks - Thank you

Seems to be about $1 per 1,000 plat so not really cost-effective, and that was assuming maxed haggle.

Cyr
12-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Not really a major concern when you can already do this by purchasing a TP code and trading plat from a player to do this.

Anything unbound in the game (including plat) can be bought with $ now.

rdasca
12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Actually I kind of like this, if you are dumb enough to try and get "game" rich this way go for it.

But for people like me that were dumb enough to but a +2 longsword and a +2 longbow the second day of playing the game because, "Hey +2 items are real cool", I would love to sell these items and get something back as they are just taking up space in my bank and I cannot bring myself to just throw them away as I paid real money for them.

smallstones
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I gave up worrying about the "Pay to Win" Scenario a long time ago, so long as there is an ingame option to get to the same goal.

As long as they don't make a raid/quest so that the "only" way to complete it is store purchase (i.e. a door that can only be opened with a bell of opening, a raid boss that can "only" be harmed with a weapon purchased from the store) I don't really care. and if you have enough cash to buy plat, well, at least you are supporting the game (even if I feel you'd be a better person donating that cash to a charity)

What others spend their money on rarely affects my game, so have at it.

Flavilandile
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Not worried.

the TP to plat ratio is anything to affect the economy(Not confirmed)..

This. It's not as if buying +1 weapons with TP and then selling them for plat is going to shatter the economy.
Now if the Shop sold FRDS, LDS, RoSS, Bloodstones and other rare and expensive items/anemities I would be worried, but it doesn't.

danotmano1998
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd say if anyone wants to spend a thousand real life dollars on an in-game item...

GO FOR IT!
and...
YES PLEASE !!

It will only keep DDO around longer and line turbine's pockets.. Maybe if we can get Bill Gates to sign off on this, DDO can just eliminate the entire FTP model and make everyone a VIP.

TempestAlphaOmega
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM

This was sarcasm right?

Sorry it's Friday afternoon after a very long week. My detect sarcasm skill has been brought to near zero due to an hourly debuff that has been stacking all week long.

Hafeal
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Turbine is well into the slide down that slope and has been for a while now.

MaximumCharisma
12-03-2011, 02:15 PM
lol another slippery slope thread...

Tell ya what, if someone wants to mortgage their house for my SOS scroll, they are welcome to do it.

Only silly thing to me is why they wasted time doing this. Even if it took 5 minutes to do, still a waste of developer time.

MrkGrismer
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I gave up worrying about the "Pay to Win" Scenario a long time ago, so long as there is an ingame option to get to the same goal.

Two words: Astral Diamonds.

EustaceTrevelyan
12-05-2011, 12:15 PM

/this. you can already buy passes and sell them for plat (tho this may be against TOS, it's done all the time, and even that is a bad return on tp/plat. vendor prices aren't worth worring about for this, considering you need a LOT of plat to really pay to win where it counts; lower levels you can almost solo through in starter rags.

As for pay to win, i never bought into that anyway; it's not competitive, if someone gets there first, who cares, and other people getting there first in no way stops you from getting there. Even a game like EVE, where skills only go up with time, after a certain point in training and learning curve, you're able to fly a given ship as well as anyone who was there in beta.