PDA

View Full Version : End Rewards Based on Completion Count

Terimus
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
As it is now, when “farming” for an item in anything other than a raid, you have no better chance on your 100th completion than you did on your first or fiftieth. There is no cumulative effect for your time investment. The end reward list for a quest should take into consideration the completion count – either for an individual character or across an account. The more completions you have the higher probability and number of named items available as end rewards. The end reward named item count should “cap” at no more than half of the total items, so you can still choose from non-named items. (How many Bracers of the Claw do you really need?)

Optionally, the probability and number of named items as end rewards should include all “flagging” quests for raids – as a replacement to the “every 20th” system that is currently in place. In other words, if you run any of the quests in a raid chain – including the pre-raid and raid – it would count towards your end reward “bonus.” Named items would still only be available in the end-chest of the raid itself – which would be in-chest-tradable to all raid participants. That wouldn’t change. But your reward for your persistence is that the named items would begin to drop as end rewards for all of the quests in the chain as you run those quests more frequently.

Finally, the list of end rewards should also take into consideration the difficulty at which you just completed the quest. The harder the difficulty, the better your chances of getting a named item. And, most importantly, running a quest on epic should give a chance of scrolls, seals and shards. Epic completions should be tracked separately, and only epic completions should improve your chances of receiving scrolls, seals and shards. However, epic completions would still count towards your overall completion count, and would therefore increase your chances of receiving a named item on a non-epic completion.

Again, the likelihood and quantity of named items and/or scrolls, seals or shards would be based on a combination of both difficulty level of that particular completion and total quest (or quest arc) completions.

In the case of The Shroud and its associated flagging quests, the named items would be crafting ingredients of all sizes and Shards of Power of all sizes. The more completions you have, the better your chances of getting large ingredients.

*Disclaimer: To the player community, DDO is a game – it is our (addictive) form of entertainment. But to Turbine, this is a business. Any idea that hurts their bottom line – no matter how much it benefits the players – will likely be discarded. My proposed ideas, therefore, attempt to consider both the players’ interests and the business interests of Turbine.

Seventh
11-22-2011, 06:34 PM
*Second Disclaimer: I dislike forums – immensely. If they were a place for mature, constructive thinking, then that would be different. But they usually degenerate to a cesspool of juvenile insults and compensation for insecurities; thus allowing miscreants to hide undetected in a virtual world behind the security of anonymity, and without the consequences for their words that would most likely get their pimple-ridden faced kicked in if they said it to someone in person. But on the off chance that there are some beneficial comments added and this idea is cultivated, maybe Turbine will listen and we’ll all get some mutual benefit. But otherwise, feel free to flame me or tell me I’m an idiot; I’ll likely never read this post again anyway. Flame on.

First thing: Kicking off the discussion by insulting forum-goers, especially when your point is that you dislike them because they tend to fall back to using insults, is almost comically hypocritical and does NOT encourage constructive feedback. Try to avoid that. On to the meat of the post:

As it is now, when “farming” for an item in anything other than a raid, you have no better chance on your 100th completion than you did on your first or fiftieth. There is no cumulative effect for your time investment. The end reward list for a quest should take into consideration the completion count – either for an individual character or across an account. The more completions you have the higher probability and number of named items available as end rewards. The end reward named item count should “cap” at no more than half of the total items, so you can still choose from non-named items. (How many Bracers of the Claw do you really need?)

Assuming you're talking just about quests which drop named items out of the end rewards (and not items that only drop out of chests or something); I don't think this is a big enough problem to merit a change- I've never had any problem farming these items myself, but that's just my experience. If lots of other folks have had a problem getting their hands on these, then sure, adding something like this or maybe just a raid-style "list of named items every X completions" system could help. Would need more feedback.

Optionally, the probability and number of named items as end rewards should include all “flagging” quests for raids – as a replacement to the “every 20th” system that is currently in place. In other words, if you run any of the quests in a raid chain – including the pre-raid and raid – it would count towards your end reward “bonus.” Named items would still only be available in the end-chest of the raid itself – which would be in-chest-tradable to all raid participants. That wouldn’t change. But your reward for your persistence is that the named items would begin to drop as end rewards for all of the quests in the chain as you run those quests more frequently.

Assuming I read this correctly, you want completions of pre-raids and raid flagging quests to increase the chances of raid loot dropping in the raid chest. Interesting in theory but I don't think Turbine would ever do this, since it effectively lets you circumvent the raid lockout timer by farming regular quests, some of which are very easy to farm. Could make getting raid loot a much faster process, depending on how big a boost we're talking about.

Finally, the list of end rewards should also take into consideration the difficulty at which you just completed the quest. The harder the difficulty, the better your chances of getting a named item.

I'm all for this. Higher difficulty should always mean higher chances at loot; most recent quests already do this with in-quest loot- don't see why the end rewards don't, unless it's a programming issue or something.

And, most importantly, running a quest on epic should give a chance of scrolls, seals and shards. Epic completions should be tracked separately, and only epic completions should improve your chances of receiving scrolls, seals and shards. However, epic completions would still count towards your overall completion count, and would therefore increase your chances of receiving a named item on a non-epic completion.

This might be a good idea for any shards/seals/scrolls that are particularly frustrating to get your hands on, but I don't think most quests need this.

Jendrak
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
*Second Disclaimer: I dislike forums – immensely. If they were a place for mature, constructive thinking, then that would be different. But they usually degenerate to a cesspool of juvenile insults and compensation for insecurities; thus allowing miscreants to hide undetected in a virtual world behind the security of anonymity, and without the consequences for their words that would most likely get their pimple-ridden faced kicked in if they said it to someone in person. But on the off chance that there are some beneficial comments added and this idea is cultivated, maybe Turbine will listen and we’ll all get some mutual benefit. But otherwise, feel free to flame me or tell me I’m an idiot; I’ll likely never read this post again anyway. Flame on.
While I had something "constructive" and "adult" to add the above statement completly negated any chance of that. Next time when you have a idea try and not end it with the type of post that would "most likely get their pimple-ridden faced kicked in if they said it to someone in person." Any valid point you had went right out the window for me and I'd be willing to guess for quite a few others as well. Better luck next time ;)

Meat-Head
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
<snip>
*Second Disclaimer: I dislike forums – immensely. <snip> usually degenerate to a cesspool of juvenile insults and compensation for insecurities; thus allowing miscreants to hide undetected <snip>.

Feces and Urine.

Now, what was this thread about?

(Sry, just couldn't resist.)

Terimus
11-22-2011, 07:46 PM
You guys are absolutely right. I'm guilty of the very thing that frustrates me. So, I sincerely and humbly apologize.